[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

25/m/usa 1st time in Asia. 14 hour layover in Shanghai. All

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

File: wutdo.png (179KB, 907x714px) Image search: [Google]
wutdo.png
179KB, 907x714px
25/m/usa
1st time in Asia.

14 hour layover in Shanghai.

All recommendations considers.
>>
>>1242143
>China Eastern

Good luck.
>>
>>1242143
Get a Chinese visa (either a 72hour one or single entry one), Google some day itineraries of what you can do in Shanghai. I know there are websites that offer itineraries based on how long your layover is, such as http://www.nextstophongkong.com/stop-over/
Not sure if one exists for Shanghai tho
>>
>>1242143
>>1242174
My mistake, you can travel for up to 72 hours visa free but there is a little bit of preparation, see https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-72hour/
>>
>>1242143
Been in the exact same scenario, except it was just 6 hours so I didn't see much besides the Bund. PVG and transit to Japan too. No recommendations on sights from me, but as for the rest:
You can get the 72 hour visa. Contrary to what the site in >>1242178 claims, it wasn't necessary to inform anyone until I got there - though you can of course do that just to be on the safe side. The dedicated 72-hour booth is just theory, the staff will direct you to wherever it's more convenient for them. You just have to fill a small yellow form and hand it together with your passport and ticket or printed out flight schedule with numbers. No questions asked - had to do it twice because of fucking PVG messing up baggage transfer on the way home, and both times it went smoothly. What you can expect however is fuckhuge queues both on the way in and out. Leave yourself at least 3-4 hours to get out and get back.
And don't shut off your brain and go to the transit section by accident.
Once you're out, forget about the bank and their rip-offs. Go to the row of booths with car rental company logos and various other shit and pretty much all off them will gladly exchange money under the counter at a much better rate.
Then catch the Maglev (cool ride in itself and really fast), it's on the second or third floor, there are signs. IIRC it goes to Longyang Road where you have to switch to the metro's second line (green). East Nanjing Road/Lujsomething is basically the city center, but you have a lot of time so research the locations you'd like to see.
Oh, and
>China Eastern
Enjoy your Tai Chi.
>>
File: duuuuude.png (727KB, 749x500px) Image search: [Google]
duuuuude.png
727KB, 749x500px
>>1242215
duuuuude.

Meglev looks killer fun and super cheap. I had no idea that was even a thing. Totally hitting that up. If this thread is still kicking by wednesday, pictures will be had just for a thank you.
>>
>>1242143
You're gonna get sent to the hard labor boats. Ciao
>>
File: 1473214796399.jpg (58KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473214796399.jpg
58KB, 720x720px
>>1242468
China Eastern really that bad?
>>
>>1242730
Not quite that bad, but it is one of the worst airlines that exist.
>>
>>1242730
It's kinda shitty, but nothing worth writing home about. Food's meh and the equipment is in various states of breaking down, but unless you're flying your poodle to get a pedicure from a foreign expert, you likely won't have that much to complain about.
>>
>>1242730
they don't let you watch movies on your phone (i.e downloaded netflix films or tv shows). It's against the law apparently.
>>
>>1242143
Have sex with a prostitute, d'uh
>>
>>1242730
You will have delays. This is a fact. Food is similar to war rations and it's actually better if you don't open it since the stench will send you to the restroom and make you want to barf.

The staff is pretty rude, but fuck em. That airline is trash
>>
>>1243620
I'm not even the OP, but I am hungover and googled "China Eastern food."

I did myself a disservice by increasing the urge to vomit.
>>
>>1243620
Solid advice, eat before hand, understood.

I see a lot of complaints, but difference in price between them and a real airline was enough to make or break the whole trip. I'll deal with some shit for the sake of an adventure.

Also, I fly out in a couple hours. I'll snap pics and share my awful opinions if this treads still up in a few days.
>>
Didn't find China Eastern that bad personally apart from the fact that the usage of phones is completely prohibited. I had to spent 10 hours watching the first 4 Fast and Furious movies, then watched another two on the flight back.
>>
File: IMG_20170502_195923.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170502_195923.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
Op reporting in from China.

First off, China Eastern was downright pleasant. Food was hit or miss, but 3 meals on a 14 hour flight isn't awful.
Seat spacing and size was totally fine. Much better than flying Sprint around America. Staff was maybe rude to others, maybe not. Culture difference is hard to tell. Wasn't rude to me.

No cell phone was a downer (and the reason for lack of pictures) but the seats had TVs with poopy video games and decent music. I see no reason for the hate.
>>
>>1244194
Post more pics OP
>>
File: IMG_20170502_195250.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170502_195250.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Secondly of all,
>>1242215 totally nailed it with the MegLev suggestion. Couldn't have been a better side adventure. Because our plane got in late and it only runs to like 10pm, we couldn't venture too far from the longyang station, but we still had a ball. Got to wonder around and get some weird train station mini mall food.

Can't thank you enough anon.
>>
File: IMG_20170502_194806.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170502_194806.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
Went too late in the day to see the full speed, but 300kmh was pretty neat.
>>
File: IMG_20170502_205017.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170502_205017.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>
File: IMG_20170502_221126.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170502_221126.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Waiting here till morning, then headed to Japan.
>>
>>1244211
The fuck is that, a crane game with cigarettes as the prize?
>>
>>1244413
I'm pretty sure it is. It was a kids game, the machine next to it had like headphones and toys.
>>
File: IMG_20170503_090047.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170503_090047.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Round two of China Eastern.
Shanghai -> Japan.

2 hour flight. It's very clear that China Eastern is a low priority to the airport. We got shuttled out to our plane and we had to wait about an hour to get airborne.

Plane was smaller this time, no individual TVs but a couple small ones playing some Chinese romantic comedy that had everybody laughing. Loudest take off / landing I've ever heard. Everything rattled. Clearly not as well maintained as American flight companies. As a medium sized American, I fit well and comfortably in the seats.

They still fed us even though it was a short flight (I'm not use to so many free meals on airplanes). Shrimp spaghetti Alfredo deal, Bread, apple juice, cookies. Tasted like a microwave meal for sure but still not bad at all!

Overall, I'm still stoked on China Eastern for the price. It's not as amazing as it could be, but I have no real complaints at all. Would fly again for sure.
>>
Fuck I'm flying with China Eastern in 2,5 weeks to Taiwan and I'm shocked by seeing that you can't use your phone. Could I possibly use it like a Mp3 player and just hide it in my pocket? Or will they notice, I really need my music for this long ass flight or I'll bore to death.
>>
>>1244728
>They still fed us even though it was a short flight (I'm not use to so many free meals on airplanes).
Maybe someone might like to chime in on this, but I think Asian airlines tend to take better care of their passengers than non-Asian airlines.

On many non-Asian airlines, they usually don't do meals for short flights. On normal/long flights, some of them might even charge extra for meals. Drinks are almost always extra. Every Asian airline I've flown with had free beverages, including alcoholic ones.
>>
>>1244728
>Chinese romantic comedy that had everybody laughing.
>"Aiya, I gotta win her over, not enough girl in this country!"
>[audience laughter]
>"Honey, you pregnant? So vely vely good!"
>[audience goes "awwwwww"]
>"What you mean girl? I no want daughter! She get harrass by boys!"
>[intense audience laughter due to irony]
>"Radies and getremen, dees ees yur kepten speaking, we experiencing of the turburence"
>"Aiya!"
>>
Last time i flew China Eastern there was a piece of glass in my food
>>
File: IMG_20170503_090131.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170503_090131.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1244746
Yeah, can totally sneak it. It's Chinese law but you could play dumb if you got caught. The guy I sat next to was taking pictures out the window low-key the whole flight and I heard someone else's phone ring. They just ask you to turn it off if they see you on it.

>>1244873
Yeah man, I had like 3 glasses of mystery wine and got a bit tipsy for free. My last American flight was 4 hours and didn't even give you peanuts.
>Snacks and beverages available for purchase!
Safety second man, I'm going Asian when available from now on.
>>
>>1244938
Business or economy class?
>>
>>1244996
Economy. Back of the bus.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.