[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Odd question, but I'm going on a trip to Western Europe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: 6363737789.jpg (65KB, 747x747px) Image search: [Google]
6363737789.jpg
65KB, 747x747px
Odd question, but I'm going on a trip to Western Europe next month and everything is fine but my friend who I'm going with says I shouldn't use the backpack I am planning to use because it's look too "militarized" and will get us caught up in airport security and draw attention to us in general.

Is there any truth to this? It's literally just pic related
>>
Thats a nice pack.
Link to Amazon pls.

And no. If you don't look like a criminal it wont get you into trouble. And even if so. Are you carrying something illegal?
If you're from the US check out our knife laws. Unfortunately you can't carry every knife a hiker would like to have.
>>
>>1241860
I use my real military backpack all the time. It even has military labels. No-one gives a shit.
>>
>>1241866
I just bought it from Walmart tBh. It's a SOG Ninja day pack or some shit.
>>
That is retarded.

I use a crossfire long range pack I picked up second hand from a mate that served several years. It's camo pattern and super militarized, I've been backpacking through Europe and Asia for more than a year, people even compliment it, no trouble at airport

Have to give it away soon tho cause downsizing
>>
File: DG2_pack2.jpg (39KB, 391x510px) Image search: [Google]
DG2_pack2.jpg
39KB, 391x510px
This is the pack in question, but its in auscam, not tan.

If anybody is in Italy and wants it you can have it for free, it's worth a bit.

Should I just give it to a bum?
>>
>>1241938
I'd gladly take it off you, but I'm not in italy
>>
>>1241860
>Is there any truth to this?

no.

your friend is dumb.
>>
>>1241860
Is your friend an Islamic terrorist?

Airport security in Europe is fine. They judge your attitude to being searched more than anything.

Being from Northern Ireland airport security has been strict my whole life. My Dad was getting searched every flight long before 9/11 just because of our accent.
>>
>>1241860
>be /pol/ larper
>use ex-soviet gear for hiking
>look like chechen
>can never bring any shit across borders because I go to shitty countries either in war or soon to be in war

mfw
>>
>>1241860

I'm long haired and have a large scruffy beard. I've traveled through most of Europe (easy when you live there) with a legit military recon-pack in woodland cammo.

Nobody really cares what kind of luggage you carry. The only people who'll give you some funny glances are actual soldiers on or off duty if you look like hipster kid who bought a "military" backpack to look cool, but doesn't know how to properly carry or utilize it. They're not going to care more than half a second, just toss a glance and maybe chuckle for themselves and then carry on with their day. Nobody else whatsoever is going to care. You'd get more glances with a pink hello kitty purse.

Security at airport or other public locations couldn't care less. They see hundreds or thousands of similar packs weekly.
>>
>>1241860
If you're from the US, put one of these on your backpack
>>
>>1242036
I'm already Canadian, thankfully.
>>
>>1241938
Italy here,I'm taking it if you're serious. If it's out of car reach I'll have you ship it to my expense.
>>
>>1241860
It won't be an issue with security. It might draw you a bit of attention and lead some people to think you're military but nothing major. The reaction will depend on where you are - in my country soldiers wearing their gear in public is frowned upon but it won't draw you anything more than silent disapproval.

As a general rule for gear I don't recommend using military gear for civilian purposes in most instances, aside from maybe something like hunting where there is an obvious overlap. Despite what many civilians think military-issue equipment generally isn't actually that great - it's designed to be durable and cheap above all else. On the other hand after-market military gear costs far more than equivalent civilian outdoor gear.

If it was me I'd use another backpack if there was one available, but I would be fine using something like your pic related if that was all I had.
>>
>>1242201
Yeah man its yours if you want

I'm having some smaller packs delivered via prime next week at which point I'll no longer have any need for it. I've also got a cheap 80l duffel bag that I have no need for.

I'm in trieste until the 16th at which point I'm moving down to Rome. It's a crossfire DG-3 long range pack in auscam, has served me well so far
>>
>>1241860
I use a 5.11 72 hour bag for my one bag and never had issues with security or anything so I wouldn't worry about it. No one's stopped me or tried to search me. They accidentally pulled my laptop out of the line, looked and me and sighed, apologized, and swabbed it real quick and gave it back before the test was even done as long as I waited there for it to run.
>>
>>1242218
Message me and I will tell you where to send it, thanks. Would be nice if you sent a pic too.
>>
File: 98295-201203.a.zoom.jpg (198KB, 1410x1215px) Image search: [Google]
98295-201203.a.zoom.jpg
198KB, 1410x1215px
>>1241860
Just go with this mate, you won't have problems
>>
>>1242224
M8 I dunno if I can ship it, that's a bit of a stretch. Getting anything done here is a bit of a hassle for me as I only speak the Queen's English and these slippery eastern spics make my life difficult.
>>
>>1242231
I live in the Venice area. It's two hours by train from Trieste. If you happen to pass by tell me and we can meet, that or I write you some instructions in Italian and you go to a random post office and show them
>>
i don't think it would make a difference with police/security.

however i would associate someone wearing such a backpack with the military - quite a negative association for me personally, very similar to seeing a tattooed harley biker type...
>>
I use a 5.11 RUSH 24 backpack for uni (former military) and no one comments at all.
But you might come off as a bit autismo americano.
>>
>>1242200

"thankfully"
>>
Airport security treats everyone like shit. They just happen to treat brown people a little bit shittier.
>>
lmao i have the exact same bag
>>
>>1242036
That's actually a dead giveaway that you're a yank.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.