[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much do you pack when you want to travel long term? For

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: hot-category-carry-on-luggage.jpg (63KB, 640x363px) Image search: [Google]
hot-category-carry-on-luggage.jpg
63KB, 640x363px
How much do you pack when you want to travel long term?

For example, three or four months in India and Southeast Asia.

I want to pack light, but I also don't want to visit a laundromat three times a week. Or keep finding new laundromats, for that matter. How do you find that balance?
>>
>>1241227
It's India and SEA. You're allowed to be smelly, It's really all par for the course.
>>
>>1241227
how light? a carryon suitcase? a checked one?
>>
>>1241229
I don't really do the crusty dreadlock thing.

>>1241231
At the moment I have one carry-on sized suitcase and one carry-on sized holdall. Still deciding whether I should bring one or both.
>>
>>1241235
So you're actually thinking about going on a 4 month trip with just carry on baggage?

I assume you're one of those Ameritrumps who just cycles through a couple of t-shirts and cargo shorts?
>>
>>1241306
I'm really confused, isn't that what backpacking essentially is? Why would you bring several pieces of luggage, that's sounds like a fucking hassle
>>
>>1241306
I can fit six pairs of chinos and six oxford shirts in one carry-on sized bag. I am considering two of them.

Have you ever owned a suitcase?

I could ask some more one-uppy questions, like if you know what wasabi is, but I'm sure asking those are already your main joy in life. Left wing snobs are such bores.
>>
>>1241313
Hahahaha

Op, I bring enough clothes for 7 days. 7 boxers, shirts. 2 or 3 pair or pants and 2 or 3 pairs of shorts. I don't like doing laundry more than once a week and the weight isn't a bit deal because I'm not a pussy ass bitch. If you're not hiking up a mountain, who cares how heavy your bag is? I'm on a hiking trip right now and doing laundry every other day... But if it weren't that kind of trip, it's enough clothes for a week in my 50L pack.
>>
>>1241318
>I don't like doing laundry more than once a week and the weight isn't a bit deal because I'm not a pussy ass bitch
u go grrrrl
>>
i did 6 months SEA with a i think 60 or more liter bag plus a smaller daybag/laptop backpack recently. I didnt really like it. I plan on reducing everything to a single carry on sized bag somehow.

2 bags are just one to much, and also having only the one huge bag is annoying when moving in tidy trains or streets. Or if to heavy and its hot after a long day of driving or even a clima change also tends to suck.

However, i dont know how yet. But i will reduce my life into a single carry on backpack somehow.
>>
>>1241327
I forgot to throw in some details. It was my first longer trip so i went overboard in some parts, but essentially: 1 long pants, 2 short pants, 7 boxers, 5 t-shirts, way to much shit for a action cam i never used, a computer mouse, medications that i really didnt need but felt safe to take with me, and other stupid shit
>>
>>1241320
Lol yfw i can actually travel and look like a normal person in different parts of the world. Get this, I don't look exactly the same every single day, either!
>>
>>1241227
I take one carry on sized roller, a 24 inch roller and a laptop backpack.
>>
>>1241229
>>1241235

I haven't spent as much time in Thailand versus India, but middle- and upper-middle class Indians have a very dismal view of backpackers who wear ratty clothes and seem intent on imitating beggar fashions.

The great irony is that while many travelers try to dress down to better connect with the locals, the locals often wind up thinking they're simply unhygienic or got robbed. Nobody who is impoverished would dress in balloon pants made out of burlap if they had an opportunity not to.

>>1241227 (OP)

Anyway, I've been to India seven times and was there in 2016 for four months. I brought a 35L hiking backpack as well as my school bag. I normally do two or three pairs of jeans, a pair of comfortable shorts, sweatpants, and a week's worth of shirts and socks plus underwear. I try to take a jacket and a pair of dress shoes as well, in case I end up getting invited to a formal event or hitting up clubs.

Fitting all that into a 35L backpack can be a challenge but it's doable.

If I'm not planning to do any freelance writing work, I'll usually leave one bag or another at home.

For what's it worth, doing laundry isn't very difficult in India. Most budget hotels and hostels have in-house laundry services which charge per item or by the kilo. While these services tend to be more pricey than outside venues, they're still relatively inexpensive. The only hassle is that you normally don't get your clothes back until the next day, since they're hand-washed and air dried. Also, if you ever do that, absolutely do not give laundry-men anything that requires special cleaning (should be common sense but I'm so used to doing my own laundry I didn't think twice).

Another note on laundry in India: due to the abundance of cheap labor and laundry, laundromats are practically nonexistent, even in big cities. The closest one to the hostel I stayed at in Delhi was a 20-minute Uber ride away, and they wouldn't even let me down my own laundry.
>>
Did middle east and SEA in pic related. Obviously its not enough for sleeping outside, but totally ok if you live in hostels.

Anyone backpacking with more than one backpack is a faggot.
>>
>>1241227

skip india

trust me
>>
I just bought a 40L pack and hope I can keep it under 22lbs for Islandair and have it as a carry on. That's all I plan on taking. Not sure what all is going in it yet but I plan on wearing the heaviest shit and I'm allowed one "additional item" so probably pull my laptop out. Not leaving until 19MAY so don't know if this thread will still be alive.
>>
>>1242548
I'm not wild about a month of "my brother" and "my friend," but I need it for bragging rights.
>>
>>1241227
I think you really have to plan on cycling gear, not on having the same things when you finish

posting cold/hot weather gear ahead of yourself or back home is underrated

I wash things in the sink in the morning because it saves me time and money, but mainly time

pack more socks and underpants, and less shirts

change clothes mid-day, instead of wearing one set of clothes till they are filthy

the heaviest things people bring are generally electricals, shoes and water
get an ipad instead of a laptop, or a smartphone

microfiber towels are the only gimmick travel good I stand by

stop packing survival gear for your holiday, or camping gear if you arn't camping
>>
>>1242634
I was a bit disappointed by the micro-fiber towel that I bought. It's terrible for actually drying your body and I found that it still took quite some time to dry off
>>
>>1241229
this. about the same amount I'd pack when travelling short term, maybe even slightly less
>>
>>1242649
linen towels are apparently better. they actually remove moisture, don't smell as bad and dry way faster.
>>
Have a think about whether you will gain much benefit from going carry-on only. If you're doing numerous budget flights then it can be great but if you're traveling mostly overland then the cost & time savings may not be that great.

The big consideration with luggage is volume as much as weight. Obviously less weight is better but anything under ~25% of your body weight will be fine unless you're hiking with it for days (which you most likely won't in that part of the world). Small size is more important because it makes it easier to fit in cramped train carriages, minivans etc.

Another consideration is packing time - having a bit of surplus space enables you to pack and unpack more quickly. Packing cubes are a bit of a gimmick but may help in this regard.

I like to take about a week's worth of clothes, which in reality means 7 pairs of undies & socks, 4-5 shirts, 1-2 pairs of trousers and 1-2 pairs of shorts. If you can try to stick to 1 pair of shoes because shoes take up a lot of space in a pack.

I find washing clothes in the sink to be overrated. It's useful as an occasional option but inconvenient to do on a regular basis. It's not particularly hygenic for socks & underwear and clothes take a long time to dry without a spin-dry, especially in the tropics where it's cloudy and humid all the time.

Even in warm countries you want some lightweight piece of cold-weather clothing in case you're on a bus with the airconditioning turned up too far.
>>
>>1242649
Bring a regular towel with you next time.

The only real purpose of a microfiber towel is for when you want to wipe things without leaving behind scratches or streaks.
>>
>>1243239
Was recently working cleaning cars for a rental company at an airport to raise cash whilst on the road and made the big mistake of calling the micro fiber clothes rags.... Was not pretty the manager was well pissed.
>>
>>1243334
lel wut

I get that it's technically wrong, but it's hardly anything to rage over.
>mmm, these fries are delicious
>THOSE ARE NOT FRIES, THEY ARE POTATO WEDGES
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.