[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/! I'm flying from Detroit to Mexico City in late

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: download.png (7KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
7KB, 272x185px
Hey /trv/!

I'm flying from Detroit to Mexico City in late June. A little under a month later I'll be jetting back out of the capital to JFK, where I'm taking a flight to a country in Africa.

In total, I have 25 days in Mexico. I earn about $600 per month from a freelance writing contract and am hoping to pick up another client before I leave. My tentative budget for Mexico is between $30 and $40 per day. I plan to stay in hostels, budget hotels, and eat cheap food.

Honestly, I'm not sure where I should go in a month in Mexico. The only two places I've been recommended are Teotihuacan and Puebla, both of which I plan on hitting. While I am fairly adventurous, I'd prefer to avoid narco-infested areas.

Interested in nature (hiking and camping, but I'm not bringing a tent), meeting local peoples and learning about Mexico's history and politics, and eating good food. Marginally interested in nightlife but am generally pretty introverted.

If anyone knows a good place to rent motorcycles for a fair price in Mexico City or on a safe part of the coast, that'd be amazing. Would be happy to break my budget for a few days on a bike (learned to ride in India and have biked Nicaragua and parts of Turkey; have had my endorsement for a few years in the U.S., so not worried about traffic too much).

Happy for any suggestions!

Thanks!
>>
>>1241017
Parque Nacional Desierto de los Leones in Mexico City is pretty cool. It's way up in the mountains on the edge of the city with trails and nice waterfalls.
>>
The memes are real my man, all the place is infested with narcos, not even trying to sound /pol/ with these words.

t. I lived in veracruz until january of this year
>>
how safe is it? I was thinking about going for a few days next month.
>>
>>1241017
>If anyone knows a good place to rent motorcycles for a fair price in Mexico City

If you've lived in a big city before, either just use the metro or get a bike from downtown. Way cheaper and you won't want to kill yourself over the traffic.

If you're already going to Puebla, maybe hit up Tlaxcala in between?

Mexico city is huge, so you'll have a lot to do. If you like museums you'll have blast, and the government does a lot of free events if you're willing to line up for them.
>>
I just got home from 3 months in Mexico, including a month in Mexico City at various times and a month around Oaxaca.

Mexico City is great for the women and nightlife. Go on Tinder and Bumble there, especially if you speak decent Spanish it's a buffet. The city itself is really polluted and not that nice outside of Condesa and Polanco though.

Check out Teotihuacan, it's a day trip from Mexico City. Take an uber to the north bus terminal and get a bus from there. There are blog posts on how to do it, it's not hard.

Don't take the subway in CDMX, just take uber. Or if you insist on using the subway, have nothing in your pockets that you don't want to lose, the pickpockets are amazing there.

Go to Oaxaca City, it's an 8-hour bus ride from Mexico City. Take one of the super-luxury buses there, they're pretty awesome. Then explore around Oaxaca City for a few days before heading down to Mazunte/Zipolite.

Mazunte/Zipolite are my favorite spots in Mexico, super laid back on the coast there. About 6hrs by van from Oaxaca City and very cheap.

At 30-40/day you might have a tough time in Mexico City... it's more expensive than other spots in the country. Oaxaca is much cheaper and nicer.
>>
You'd be making a crime not visiting at least some of the museums Mexico City has to offer.

I just came from there (returned a week ago or so) and the few museums I could manage to visit due to my few days of stay will take up good chunks of your days.

The must-gos for history/culture-related museums are Templo Mayor, Chapultepec Castle, Anthropology Museum and the Revolution Museum. They don't charge that much and if you have a valid student or teacher ID they let you in for free or for a vastly lower price. However in some of them (especially the Chapultepec Castle, holy shit), the lines can get insane, so be sure to arrive early.

Spend a day or two strolling through the historic downtown and the surrounding spots like Av. Juárez. The sights are pretty good and you're bound to meet more people.

That said, people from Mexico City are usually not very talkative to strangers on the street. Small talk is common but not as common as in other places of the country. There's a lot of that "big city" mindset so don't feel discouraged if most people don't really hit it off or you end up striking a conversation with a tourist or an immigrant from another part of the country.

A motorcycle isn't really that worth it in Mexico City due to the traffic and the protests and rallies people often make, especially in the main roads like Reforma and Insurgentes.

I'd recommend buying a ticket for that CapitalBus (this one has a roof for the upper floor of the bus in case it rains... and oh does it rain...) tour for a day so you can see most of the sights in Mexico City, but if you're in a super-tight budget I don't recommend it that much since the tickets are $10-ish.

Sorry if you didn't find this very helpful. I'm one of those persons that likes the more tourist-y stuff cities have to offer.
>>
If you come to Puebla, you can visit our volcano, the popocatepetl, also "la malinche" is a nice mountain to hike (we have the smallest volcano in the world too).

Check the museo barroco, the cableway and the train ride we have for tourist.
>>
>>1241421
>Mexico City
>infested with narcos
>>
>>1241470

Thanks!

Do you have any tips on staying safe? Did you ever feel like you were at risk of being robbed or mugged?

Normally I wouldn't be too worried, but since I'll be traveling until January and writing for money, I can't afford to lose my laptop.

(I mean, there are always internet cafes, but I'd rather not)

>>1241481

Thanks for the recommendations on museums! I'll make sure to bring my student ID.
>>
Museo nacional de antropología e historia is a must if you want to learn about Mexican culture
>>
>>1241017
>learning about Mexico's history and politics
Hit all the major museums in Mexico City. I'd plan on using a simple guide book to understand why you will in fact want to visit Castilo, natural history, and other museums in chapultepec park, the zocalo, plaza garibaldi, up and down reforma, xochimilco, all 3 churches at guadeloupe, centro train station, shopping districts like zona rosa, and restaurants like san angel inn and it's beautiful neighborhood. This is the history of the city. Old timey food can be had at el fondo del refugio, but there are world class restaurants at the highest of michelin/4star or whatever you want to call it for like, omfg $50 for 10 courses of delicousness and drinks. Be sure to have a sangrita chaser to your tequila trials.

>rent bikes
Yea, don't even want to do that in the DF. It'd be like renting a bike in Manhattan but being run down by drivers who care even less for your life. You could enjoy a bicycle in the park. Buses or Uber is what you do. I'd take a personal driver to Teotihuacan, and be sure to stay overnight so you can either see the city before the tour buses, or see the laser light show at night when it cools down. I'd actually avoid the metro unless it's commuter hours and you really know what you are doing going between decent stops, and/or you pass as mexican.

You could enjoy the massive goth, punk, 80s and alternative culture that sells out concerts in a big way in Mexico City.

In general, you should not dress like a bummy american if you expect good treatment. Mexicans can be less casual as a way of showing class, and the less classy you appear, the worse your treatment and experience with locals. Fact.
>>
fuck i cant wait to go to CDMX soon
>>
>>1242752
If you're traveling inside mexico city dont bring your laptop and leave it on the safebox of your room, you wont be able yo use it anywhere and you CAN be mugged, i've been living there for 7 years and never carry nothing more than muy cellphone, my wallet ando my keys and a small camera sometimes, as someone else stated, stay not classy and ffs dont use obscure glasses everywhere unless you're on a really Sunny plac like Teotihuacan or the Puebla Center, makes you look like a douche and people would want to scam you into buying overpriced shit.

Another place to visit that i recommend very often Is Guanajuato, lived there contracted by the local university, wich Is one of the main attractions of the City, there are a whole Lots of museums, markets of sweets and a plethora of good restaurants, also the nightlife Is very energetic on thursdays, be sure to hit the Center if you go there, it's a mountain embeded City, funded by old miners (not working mines anymore) so there are a lot of historic and mine museums also a mummy museum. Another plus for this Is that the highways are fast and safe. You can arrive in a 5 h bustrip from cdmx.

The west coast of México from Chiapas up to Jalisco Is safe with the notable exception of the Michoacán coast, but i dont think youll be abducted even if you go as a tourist to the principal attractions this state has to Offer, it's like a great lakes zone within the mountains, dont go to beaches there theyre awful.

Like other anon said go to Oaxaca for all the experience plus 5 hours by car everyday, the state Is huge and bad conected. The City Is beautiful.

Chiapas Is a big contendant for visiting but it's far and Costly to get to, even far than Oaxaca and gto, i recommend a plane for this but the experience Is worth it, There's a huuuge sailable canyon, cañón del Sumidero that i recommend cheking out, also Is a state with variety un it's climate from mountains in San Cristóbal to coastlike in Chiapa de Corzo.
>>
>>1242931
>The west coast of México from Chiapas up to Jalisco Is safe with the notable exception of the Michoacán coast
And Guerrero
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.