[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone ever been to Belize? I'm looking to possibly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1488952610254.png (220KB, 563x397px) Image search: [Google]
1488952610254.png
220KB, 563x397px
Has anyone ever been to Belize?
I'm looking to possibly buy some land in the country and would love to hear any experiences you've had (generl experiences).
Cities, rural areas, etc. How are the people? What is the culture like? Cartel activity?

Anything you've experienced that's worth sharing.
>>
ok
>>
The biggest problem with Belize is that there is little industry and many small businesses are owned by expats or Chinese immigrants so the locals mostly live in poverty.

Violent crime isn't very common but aggressive begging, pickpocketing/petty theft and con schemes targeting tourists and expats and tourists because they have the money.
>>
>>1238951
i live in Belize and i am no living in poverty.
>>
>>1238951
proof plz
>>
>>1238975
>>1238976
Well aside from my personal, anecdotal experiences there's this.

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?c=bh&v=69

Belize is on track to hit a 50% poverty rate in the next decade. While that's not as bad as neighboring Guatamala or Honduras, it's not great. Especially when you consider that the population isn't even 400,000 people. The literacy rate is also about 79%, again not terrible, but not great either.

The unemployment rate has dropped a lot since the big spike in 2008-2010, but it's still at 10-11%.

I don't want you to think I'm looking down on Belizeans, most of them that I met are good people who want to live good lives. But opportunities are limited when such a significant portion of businesses and properties are owned by European expats and snowbirds from the US and Canada.

A country with such a small population but as much to offer as Belize does should not have numbers like that. More businesses should be operated by Belizeans, especially in places like Placencia, which is a tourist gold mine if there ever was one.
>>
>>1238925
I made this exact thread roughly a month ago and thought it was my old thread still holding on.
Anyway, Belize land is a fantastic investment imo
>>
>>1238980
McCaffey, are whatever his name is, lived in Belize with a harem until he was wanted for murder
>>
>>1239099
Is he the guy that the cops have been hunting down and he's been hiding in the bush?
>>
>>1238925
Are you even rich? Belize doesnt even exist in the real sense its just a getaway for launder money

So unless you are rich whic i dont think you are would never be able to buy land
>>
>>1239192
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2262413/John-McAfee-Meet-SEVEN-women-lived-eccentric-software-tycoon-fled-Belize.html

http://heavy.com/news/2013/01/john-mcafee-kept-a-7-women-harem-in-socially-engineered-system/
>>
>>1238925
I'm a Belizean-American who has visited Belize many times before.

>Cities
There's one main city in Belize, that being Belize City. It can get pretty dangerous there. Avoid going there at night.

>How are the people?
In my own personal experience as more of an "outsider," I think that the older folks you meet tend to be more respectful and kind, while people from younger generations tend to just be a little more watchful. They know who is from around there and who's not, and will look for opportunities to pickpocket.

>What is the culture like?
I find that the culture is very rich and diverse, especially along the beach. The country itself is a mix of Kriol, Maya, Garifuna, Mestizo, and even Mennonites.

>Cartel activity?
From what I've read, the Los Zetas Mexican Cartel is responsible for the growing and cultivation of marijuana in parts of Belize. Also, approx. 10 tons of cocaine pass through the country each year. There's a little area in Belmopan called Salvapan, where it's known that MS-13 members live. Around the country itself, it's known for ongoing disputes between Bloods and Crips.

I feel like I should add that Belizeans love gossip. They hear one thing from someone, and it spreads like wildfire. I've seen it happen with my own eyes.

Also one weird thing about Belize that my parents have told me many times (and that they themselves have told me they feel this way too) is that Belizeans don't like black people, even if they themselves are black. It's like, some weird prejudice that they have. You'd almost think they're from /pol/.

This is just my lopsided opinion of the country based on personal experience and what my parents have taught me as a kid, though.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.