[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>been on 8 or so international flights >never any domestic,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: logo_2.png (6KB, 360x180px) Image search: [Google]
logo_2.png
6KB, 360x180px
>been on 8 or so international flights
>never any domestic, flights always 7+ hours
>terrified every time
>weeks before leaving I am a nervous wreck
>always thought I would just have this fear
>trip coming up in 1.5 weeks
>no anxiety/nervousness at all

Is it possible I am over it? I have no idea why I am not nervous about it, but all I can think of is how happy I will to be away from work and enjoying somewhere new.
>>
Watch some air crash investigations and realise how many crashes happen purely due to maintenance and human error and that fear should come right on back
>>
>>1238596
>how many crashes happen

Cant be more than 2 or 3 a year.
>>
>>1238599
thing is, you only need to get lucky once
>>
File: 1492380309001.png (247KB, 580x282px) Image search: [Google]
1492380309001.png
247KB, 580x282px
>>1238619
If you think that way you might as well stay in bed 24/7
>>
>>1238599
Malaysia air had two in one year, you just never know when your time is up.
>>
>>1238633
Pretty sure those were the only 2 incidents that year.
>>
>>1238795
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_commercial_aircraft#2016https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_commercial_aircraft#2016
>>
>>1238796
So I pasted that twice because I am retarded, but isn't it more alarming you can only remember the air Malaysia flights on the news and not the others?
>>
File: otto.jpg (27KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
otto.jpg
27KB, 600x450px
>>1238596
>that fear should come right on back
He could always fly in and out of Lukla...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqgZvb37NX0
>>
>>1238796
all of the others are basically small no name carriers.
>>
>>1238581
What you describe sounds exactly like being over it.

Enjoy your trip.
>>
>>1238633
>Malaysia air had two in one year,

Out of roughly 131,000 flights Malaysia Air has each and every year. I can find, in just a few seconds Googling because I don;t care enough to search in detail, 5 incidents they've ever had.

I think I'll find something else to worry about...
>>
>>1238619
Sure, but airline crashes are not the only way to die. You are about as safe on a plane as doing almost anything else, and a lot safer than you would be doing many of the things folks tend to do when traveling. Like riding in fucking third-world taxis...
>>
>>1238815
Yes this is the 100% logical way to think, but it seems that fear of flying is much more common than fear of other things. I have never understood the fear of flying, I guess because it isnt something people do daily.
>>
>>1238798
>but isn't it more alarming you can only remember the air Malaysia flights on the news and not the others?

Pilotanon reporting in. They where all reported but most incidents listed are actually non-happenings, happened way outside of the western world or are freight planes where the media can't produce a whiny
>muh starving childrun/muh cinderella story team/muh grieving parents
sensation story where they can make up their own facts for weeks.

>engine fires/engine failure
happens and are probably the most trained situation beside stall recovery. from your first flying lesson on and even as ATPL pilot it will be done in every single 6-month check-up.
>gear collapsing/not coming down properly
again something that is done in almost every single simulator session.
Yes bad stuff happens, but that is part of the training. No you won't blow up, you won't fall out of the sky, yes you can land a plane without a engine, no gear and a knocked out rudder. It's not easy but it's not hard either.

So if a pilots hands get sweaty at a standard procedure he should probably return his pilot license.

Aviation is such a sensitive thing that literally everything gets reported. From a go-around to turbulences lead to someone spilling his tea
>https://avherald.com/
anything serious will get discussed in detail here
>DISCLAIMER:
This is a pilots, ATC & air maintenance crew, ONLY forum and the owner has some anger issues. He can and will ban the entire forum. Go there for top notch incident coverage, a autism level that beats 4chan by a lightyear but don't shit it up as you do with every other place.
>http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news-13/
>>
>>1238581
I am only terrified when I take planes in Europe. Whenever I see a muslim boarding the same plane as me my heart rate goes up to 180
>>
>>1238827
Only gets to me in third world countries. European screening is up to standard compared to somewhere like Egypt or Indonesia.
>>
>>1238826
Fellow pilotfag here. You guys do a gear failure scenario every sim?! I think I've done it once in the last 3 years? Got my next recurrent in about 2 weeks and would be glad to get that as it doesn't require much imagination!
>>
>>1238827
I get the same when flying in America, always shit myself when I see a fat fuck getting on board. Petrified they will have a heart attack and require me to divert and fill out the death on board form and a shitload more paperwork!
>>
>>1238827
t. basement-dwelling virgin from /pol/ who has never left Burgerland
>>
>>1238860
I have a friend who is a burger and he's also terrified of Muslims on a plane, then again he also gets scared if he has to fly and it's cloudy. He just has severe flight anxiety, funny thing is he flies about 10 times a year due to work.
>>
>>1238826
>happened way outside of the western world

So are you actually at any significant risk in taking regional or domestic budget carriers in places like Colombia, Africa, SE Asia? I assume the risk is still negligible in any airlines that fly.
>>
>>1238924
Most of those barely qualify as airlines. Air china and tongo air are completely different levels of safety even though air china sucks.
>>
>>1238860
I'm from Europe you dumb fuck and oh my I get scared when I see a bearded man with a sinister looking on my plane. You need to go back.
>>
>>1238856
It's not every session but still pretty often, that's the beauty of Simulator training, you can do those things and go through with it so you know exactly what to do on a check-ride/recurrent or in a actual emergency situation.
The rest is probably just my personal perception as I do private sim flight safety training once a month and actually request all kinds of those
>just fuck my shit up
be creative scenarios to stay on top of my game and never get too comfy doing my job.

If you haven't done it in years, do yourself a favor and request it. It's in your own interest.

Fly safe bro.

>>1238924
It's impossible to make a general statement.
As long as it's a modern jet and a regular flight I would say it's pretty safe but yes it can get super sketchy.
I flew puddle jumpers (Caravans and PC-6) in Africa and Indonesia/Papua for companies that are banned by the FAA and EASA yet I would call the companies and aircrafts safe, the maintenance on a high level and their pilots fully job qualified.
So there's nothing wrong with them but flying there is risky due to local external factors that nobody can control.
>>
>>1238934
Your grandparents are from Europe, you're a Burger. You've grown up in a culture of fear.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.