[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 18 years old and want to go here really badly but only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: Flag_of_Georgia.svg.png (14KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Georgia.svg.png
14KB, 1200x800px
I'm 18 years old and want to go here really badly but only have $2,000 saved up. Can I make this work, I can bring friends and have 4 months off before I start college to get some more money together. Worst comes to worst I can sell my car (which I won't need where I'm going) and get another 4-5k.

Any recommendations on what I should do or how to get around. How dangerous is this country? Can I travel there with only a little over $2,000? I've posted this here before because I'm a little wishy washy on the whole thing, any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>1237554
>$2000
Unless plane tickets are $1500, you're going to have to splurge to spend that much in Georgia. Been there twice, spent maybe $750 a month. Take a tent and go hiking if you want to combine cheapskating and good times.

Country's safe btw. Public transport will get you almost anywhere, but marshrutky/minibuses to/from smaller destinations generally only leave in the morning. Use trains for longer distances. Use night train to Zugdidi for Svaneti - which you should visit. Also consider
>Davit Gareji - search Davit Gareji line on fb
>Vardzia cave city
>Gori/Uplistsikhe (sp?) day trip from Tbilisi
>Vashlovani steppes - hard to explore without vehicle though
>Batumi/Black sea coast
>Sighnagi (sp?)
>Kazbegi - Juta - Truso
>maybe hop into Abkhazia for shit and giggles
>entire main Caucasus ridge is worthwhile
>etc
>>
>>1237591

Thanks so much for the response, definitely doing this. My plan right now is to do a lot of backpacking and hiking, I have set to set anything in stone but I want to stay for 2 weeks at the very least. Do you know where I can get more information on hiking and camping in Georgia? Thanks again!
>>
>>1237554
>I can bring friends

you don't get to bring friends
>>
>>1237612
It would just help lessen the cost if I could have 2 or more people come.
>>
>>1237614
They're not on the flight list
>>
I went to Georgia last summer, best holiday I ever had. I'm going back this year.

Make sure you go to Kutaisi. It's not one of the most popular tourist destinations, but it was definitely the city I enjoyed the most. The main reason to go to Kutaisi is for the prometheus cave, but if you're there make sure you also visit Gelati monastery, the priests there are fucking mental. If you're lucky they'll invite you in for some food. That's how I got one of my best stories.

Definitely check out Batumi too. It's right on the coast of the black sea. In Batumi you're going to want to stay at a place called Gulnasi's guesthouse. There's a great dolphinarium there too.
>>
>>1237662
Forgot to add a few things. In Batumi you're going to want to go to the botanical gardens, it's an absolutely beautiful place and it's big enough to spend days there. In the botanical gardens there's also a secluded library, it's basically impossible to find because it's located on a small hill completely surrounded by trees, I only found it by accident. The building itself is completely falling apart, it looks like it's been bombed numerous times. Inside there's nobody around except one librarian. All the books are between 100 and 300 years old, it really is fascinating. I sat there for a few hours reading some books, and nobody else came in.

Also, just known that Georgians are fucking mental, it's one of the best parts of visiting the country. Almost every day I had a crazy conversation with some random Georgian guy, e.g. the time I sat down on a bench by some old guy, he started talking to me about the weather, then suddenly pointed to the plastic water bottle in my hand and asked if it was vodka. Then he said "fuck, fuck, there's not enough blonde girls here".

Out of curiosity, what made you want to visit Georgia? I never would've even thought of visiting it if not for my friend who invited me.

>How dangerous is this country?
Tbilisi itself is incredibly safe, one of the safest cities in the world. I personally didn't encounter any crime nor did I ever feel unsafe. I'd advise against going alone if you're a girl, although I did meet some girls travelling alone and they seemed fine. If you're a guy I wouldn't worry about it.

>Can I travel there with only a little over $2,000?
Everything in Georgia is extremely cheap compared to first world countries. One night in a hostel is 15 lari for a shared room or 30/40 for a private room. 60 for a comfy hotel with a nice double bed and personal bathroom. A meal at a restaurant (drink included) is about 10 lari. You can travel from anywhere in the country to anywhere else via minibuses for 30 lari or less.
>>
>>1237614
Do they work for the mercenary? The masked man?
>>
>>1237614
And why would I want them?
>>
>>1237554
I Georgia the new Meme-Destination? I see it mentioned everywhere.
>>
>>123759
Definitely get GEOland maps. Their store is more or less opposite the city hall, a bit towards Dry Bridge (check the flea market there, best place for souvenirs). They also sell gas for gas stoves.

Generally speaking you want to be in and around Tusheti, Kazbegi, Juta and Svaneti for hiking. You can actually walk from Oamalo in Tusheti to Juta near Kazbegi via Shatili but that takes two weeks. Plenty of shorter hikes throughout all these regions though, as well as a good number of homestays should you tire of camping. Also bring your passport, there's a few military checkpoints in the high Caucasus due to proximity to the Russian border. Nothing to worry about, and I got away with showing my regular ID card once, but it's obviously easier to show up with your passport.
>>
File: Ley5pma.jpg (76KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Ley5pma.jpg
76KB, 1600x1067px
>>1237727
I think it's an odd destination so when it is mentioned it stands out more. I have yet to personally meet anyone who has traveled there which is part of the reason I want to go.
>>
File: img_1865.jpg (1MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
img_1865.jpg
1MB, 3072x2304px
>>1237668

>Out of curiosity, what made you want to visit Georgia?

4 days late to answer this but whatever.

I was watching a video on youtube of Gregorian chant and then that made me think of the country of Georgia. I knew nothing about it and started researching it and then I found out about the mountains and 1000 year old villages. I was completely fascinated by the country for the last 5 months. I don't know anyone who has gone there and it I think it would be a unique experience.

The biggest thing is how uncommercialized the country is. I looked into Iceland initially and I was reading about how inundated it is with tourists who trash the place. I thought that was sad and didn't want to participate in doing that, so I figured Georgia is probably the best place to go. It's not overrun, it has an extremely cool history, and I can afford it.

My last reason is that I want to be unreachable for a while. I live in a small town won't be able to leave for the next 4 months until I go to college so I want to get away. I guess living where I do has gotten mundane and depressing and for my mental health I need a break. I want to go somewhere completely foreign where I can relax and just experience life for a bit. The picture attached is a mountain in Georgia, it's one of the pictures that drew me to it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (741KB, 546x545px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
741KB, 546x545px
I saw this picture from a previous thread. This was taken from Mesti to Ushguli, definitely looks like it's worth checking out.
Could you get by on speaking English or Russian in Georgia or is it worth learning some of the language?
>>
Georgian guy here AMA

>>1239329
You can easily get by with english and russian. Most people know a second language due to the fact that you can't get a decent job without it. Younger people are more likely to speak english while older people know russian.
Also georgian is incredibly hard language and I don't mean to discourage you. Pick up a phrasebook anyway, even some basics will amuse your hosts.
>>
>>1239907
How easy is travelling inside Georgia?

If I were to spend a couple of weeks in your country, where would you go? I'd like to see some of that incredible nature and also some history/cities
>>
>>1239907
I will be there May 2-5, staying in Tbilisi with a few day trips.

>where should I eat
>>
File: 1474746448590.jpg (370KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1474746448590.jpg
370KB, 2048x1365px
>>1239909
Well that was fast

>How easy is travelling inside Georgia?
Fairly easy and cheap
In the cities taxis are dirt cheap. 5 lari for a 10km trip amounts to roughly $2.5 in Tbilisi for example. Taxi to/from airport will be pricier of course. There's also metro in Tbilisi 50 tetri for a trip I iirc. Marshutkas that move along routes but stop wherever you tell them to are most flexible after taxis. Buses are an option too.
Between cities you have a choice of train, marshutka, bus or taxi.
Marshutkas/microbuses daily move between cities. There's also rail line frome east to west recently upgraded with modern trains. Buses are also an option altough generally more pricey than marshutkas. Taxis aren't worth it between cities though.

>If I were to spend a couple of weeks in your country, where would you go? I'd like to see some of that incredible nature and also some history/cities
>Kakheti birthplace of wine
>Kazbegi: Gergeti Trinity, Truso gorge, Juta
>Davit gareji: monastery in the desert on the border with azerbaijan
>Jvari, svetitskhoveli churches in Mtskheta
>Uplistsikhe and Vardzia cave cities
>Svaneti
>Shatili
>Kutaisi: Gelati, Sataflia
>Batumi, Anaklia if you're into sea. Gem-fest is an electronic music festival in july-august

Also check out tobavarchkhili (ტობავარჩხილი) lakes. I've personally never been but from what I hear its an experience to remeber. Pic related.

http://www.caucasus-trekking.com/treks/toba
>>
>>1239929
depends on what you want, whats your budget
food's cheap though
>>
>>1239932
Pretty much unlimited budget, but I prefer the small places where locals eat. I like experiencing the food of the country rather than expensive american steakhouses.
>>
>>1239948
pls respond georgia anon
>>
>>1239948
>>1240216
I'll list them off and you can do a quick google search if interested
>tabla
>begheli
>shemokhede genatsvale
>pasanauri restaurant
>machakhela
>chashnagiri
>zakhar zakharich
>keria: they have 3 locations iirc I live near one they make top tier khachapuri kubdari and lobiani
>bernard on abashidze
>HB Hofbrauhaus
now this is where locals eat and they serve really good food at decent prices
there are also some restaurants in the old tbilisi area and outside the city in mtskheta that mainly cater to foreigners and georgians with money but imo they are way too overpriced
there are also faggy hipstery cafe type establishments that I personally don't enjoy where people go mainly for music and not food
if these are what you're interested in I'll try look them up
>>
>>1240558
Not OP but I'm going to Georgia in September and these look great, cheers!
>>
>>1237614
A lot of loyalty for hired guys
>>
>>1240558
These are perfect. I hate the cafe style restaurants. I want good food not obnoxious bands.

Thank you
>>
>>1240624
>>1240684
cheers lads
enjoy your stay
>>
>>1239907

OP here: I'm still not sure if I am going this summer but I definitely will be in the next couple years, so this information is useful regardless.

Everyone I talked to in the U.S. about doing this has brought up how dangerous Georgia is. A lot of them still seem to be focusing over the conflict Georgia had with Russia back in 2008. While everything I have read about Georgia says it is a very safe country (excluding the disputed zones) are there things to avoid that can lead to danger? Is it safe for solo travel? I'm over 6ft tall and male so I hope that helps a little bit.

My only other question is about camping. I plan on (if I end up going) vising Svaneti and staying in the mountains for a little bit, maybe like a 2 day hike or something. Are there any restrictions on camping, do I need a license or any kind of permission? Also, like in my previous question, is this a smart thing to do?

Thanks for the response!
>>
>>1240817
yeah apart from the occupied territories its totally safe we regularly top country safety lists if that means anything
as for the second question unless you're camping in the natural reserve I don't think there are any restrictions or licenses needed I'm not completely sure though
unless you're very flamboyant faggot I think you'll be okay in svaneti you're more likely to get invited to some kubdari and weed rather than get robbed or something like that
>>
>>1240868

>you're more likely to get invited to some kubdari and weed rather than get robbed or something like that

Lol that sounds great, I can't wait to visit. I decided to make the trip next summer, I haven't completely ruled it out this year but this is my last summer home and I already have plans to travel through some of the U.S. and Canada. Georgia is my #1 country to visit though, hopefully there will be a study abroad program or a travel opportunity through my school and I could go during the winter. Thanks for your help!
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.