[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have never booked my own holiday before, so I don't have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Flag_of_Hong_Kong.svg.png (70KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Hong_Kong.svg.png
70KB, 2000x1333px
I have never booked my own holiday before, so I don't have any experience with the financial side of travel - my parents used to handle all that when I was living with them.

How much should I expect to pay for a week's accomodation in Hong Kong, plane tickets there from London, and what kind of daily budget would be average as well?

Any tips on keeping costs down generally?
>>
I have a GF from Hong Kong.

We live in Norway right now.

If I go to Hong Kong I will stay at her place

= Get a Hong Konger for a GF and stay at her place. Most adults are very traditional, so just show respect.

Success.
>>
>>1235688
OMG, this isn't rocket science OP. You just start planning and make note of the prices as you do that.

OP, go to a travel website like kayak, or british airways or delta and start plugging in dates that work for you. Pick best price. Write it down.
Go to another travel website, and pick a neighborhood that works for you, compare hotels by star, and pick something that works for you. Check prices, rank by prices, contrast and compare.
Write it down, multiply by 7.

Basic budget. Done. Choose your neighborhoods, imho by safety, nightlife, or lack of nightlife. Central district, whatever you wish to be close to see. It's not an inexpensive city and well, that's going to give it a uniquely high budget sometimes. You'll balance safety and comfort with location.
>>
>>1235700
Bergenfam reporting in.

First of all, try and find a middle ground between cheap airfare and convenience. Cheapest isn't always the best and neither is the most expensive. I find KLM // Norwegian Air service most of my needs - on time, comfortable, and friendly without idiotic passengers ruining the flight.

For budgeting for overnight stays, try Air BnB before a hostel. I have mild insomnia and can't stand getting any less sleep than I already do, so I tend to stay away from hostels despite their cheapness // convenience.

Lastly, after you get that all figured out; make an itinerary for what you would like to do every single day of the trip. Try and leave your place before 10 AM or something like that. Some people prefer to come back early in the evening, but generally I would stop for a rest at a cafe or where I was staying - charge my phone, leave again until 10 or 11 pm at night. Much more to be done this way.

Lastly decide on a daily budget. I don't know shit about Hong Kong for a couple. $30 a day? Less? More?

Basically my advice is start with the flight, then worry about accommodation, THEN plan your actual trip and siteseeing.
>>
>>1235700
Sorry, I accidentally assumed you were the OP.
>>
>>1235688
>How much should I expect to pay for a week's accomodation in Hong Kong
I paid less than $2500 HKD (roughly £260 GBP) for a week's stay in Hong Kong. But this was for garbage-tier 2-star accommodation.

You can pay SIGNIFICANTLY less (like a fraction of the earlier quoted amount) if you're willing to sacrifice even more quality than me.

Or if you're made of money, you can easily spend way more on a better hotel.

>plane tickets there from London
That's a tough question to answer. It largely depends on what airport you're departing from, when you're leaving, which airline you're taking, and whether or not you're willing to take transit flights.

A quick search shows me that you can spend about £380 GBP if you go in the first week of May, via Turkish Airlines. You would be leaving from Gatwick, and there would be a stop in Istanbul before your flight to Hong Kong.

>what kind of daily budget would be average
My budget worked out to roughly £300 GBP per week. Do bear in mind that your needs will differ from mine. I drank very little, and I did spend money on frivolities such as Disneyland tickets, souvenirs, and whatnot. Most travelers would probably drink more, go to night clubs, etc.
>>
>>1235688
>Any tips on keeping costs down generally?
Don't buy souvenirs for ungrateful family members. Hell, don't buy any souvenirs at all unless someone specifically requests something.

It's important to keep hydrated, so you're gonna need to drink lots of water. While you could buy them at 7-Eleven, if you don't care that your water isn't cold, you can get them for much cheaper at Wellcome (pic related) or I guess any other supermarket (though the one I named appears to be the most common).

If you're ever interested in seeing Lantau Island, don't take the Ngong Ping 360 cable car (unless you specifically want to take a cable car). It is much cheaper to take the MTR, get off at Tung Chung, then take the "New Lantao Bus" to take care of your needs, whether it be Ngong Ping, Tai O, or any other part of Lantau Island.
>>
>>1235688
hong kong is a great city you can find hostels for 30 bucks a night or stay at 5 star hotes for 3000 a night. same with food if you want to keep it cheap eat in shum shui po and stay in the shittiest hostels in kowloon you can survive easily on 200 dollars a week and see lots of free stuff
>>
I got a 500cad roundtrip flight from vancouver and I'm gonna stay at 14$/night hostel in chungking mansions, and walk around and eat street food
>>
>>1236275
>500cad roundtrip flight from vancouver
That's not a bad price. What airline? Any layovers?

I went from YVR to Hong Kong myself just a few months ago. The cheapest price I saw was around $540, and it was with China Eastern Airlines, with a layover in Beijing.

I've heard horror stories about China Eastern, so I paid an extra $200 to fly with JAL & Cathay Pacific, with a layover in Narita.
>>
>>1236540
It's air china with a layover in beijing, hopefully I make it
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.