[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it cool to travel the world, be American and never learn any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1490667406999.jpg (546KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1490667406999.jpg
546KB, 2560x1600px
Is it cool to travel the world, be American and never learn any language other than english?
>>
>>1235227
You can do it, just realize you're limiting a lot of your options a lot and some places might give you less quality service
>>
>>1235227
>Is it cool to travel the world, be American and never learn any language other than english?
I don't know what you mean by cool, as in something admirable? Or do you mean that you'd easily get by? If the latter, then yes, you can get by without a single word in another language other than English almost everywhere now. In places where you couldn't, you can hire someone, a sort of handler or guide, even a taxi driver as a guide, if it did matter.. Hand signals and body language work wonders. Without a second language, you do limit yourself some of the fun of conversing with others, and expressing some etiquette in meeting people halfway with thank yous and such, though. If it's just fear, then yes, confirmed. You can travel on English alone. I'd handpick some first choices though, get those out of the way.
>>
>>1235287
I mean cool like will I be totally treated like shit because of my unwillingness to try and communicate in any other language than my own.
>>
>>1235657
No, you'll just be treated as another tourist.
>>
just learning
>yes
>no
>thank you
in the local language will get you miles of good will.
>>
>>1235970
This

Not learning the local language will prevent you from having a lot of cool experiences with the locals. And isn't that the reason why you'd want to travel out of your home country?

Also,
>implying Anglo-Canadians, Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis are any better than Americans when it comes to being monolingual
>>
>>1235227
Why would you not want to though
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.