[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are things that ruin your mood while traveling? For me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 4

File: unhappy.jpg (27KB, 660x351px) Image search: [Google]
unhappy.jpg
27KB, 660x351px
What are things that ruin your mood while traveling?

For me the number one thing is that when I talk with someone in their native language and they immediately respond in English. I want to strangle them
>>
>>1234845
i bet you are french

i hate it when people always talk in their native languages, its really antisocial behaviour and makes it harder for other people to engage in conversation with you/you to get to know other people
>>
>>1234852
>talking in the language you know, because you don't know english
>antisocial
>>
>>1234852
I am not. Why should I talk to some tourist agency worker or hostel worker in English when I can communicate in his language perfectly fine?
>>
>>1234845
>for me the number one thing is that when I talk with someone in their native language and they immediately respond in English.
That made me feel odd in Germany, but it also happened in Quebec and I came to appreciate it.

You should realize:
1. People doing a job need want to do it efficiently, and thus most of them times it's best for them to respond in English...even if you're fluent, they don't know you and simply want to do business
2. Some people are selfish and want to practice their English with a native speaker
>>
>>1234858
confirmed french
>>
>>1234845
>be me
>live 10 years in France
>order a beer in a bar, in French
> get replied to in English
fml
>>
>>1234858
>not knowing english

frenchman detetcted.
>>
People often ruin my mood
>>
>>1234864
I hated that in Quebec. I speak good French and every fucking time they immediately switch to English.

Nobody ever switched in France.
>>
When you're trying to be a good western tourist in an Asian country and a bunch of loud idiots from Australia or wherever show up. And then you get associated with those idiots.
>>
>>1234892
>bunch of loud idiots from Australia

I prefer this to condescending girls from New Zealand with dreadlocks
>>
When I see other white people.
>>
>>1234845
>For me the number one thing is that when I talk with someone in their native language and they immediately respond in English. I want to strangle them
How stupid of a reaction. Strangle, really? Anger management ever crossed your simple mind? They are 1) being polite and guessing you are not conversing in a first language and so 2) don't want to repeat shit, use synonyms, rephrase things differently, and skip the step where they tell you "I know English" and just speak in it instead.
Yea, I've encountered this. I don't mind. And, if they are someone you'll be speaking with for a long while, ask them if you can practice your Spanish (or whatever) with them, a gift, not a requirement on their part. It costs them time and hassle to deal with your pathetic attempts to sound like someone native. If you were an educated, you would know that not everyone enjoys talking to children and dumbing it down. It, in fact, takes about 7 years or more for someone to be on your level with a language, with higher vocabulary, logic and understandings.

To say something positive, it's a good thing you didn't just speak to them in English without even a question to ask if they minded first. Good going! But, deal with your anger, geesh.
>>
>>1234928
Perhaps their English is no better than his second language. I've had people assume their terrible English was better than my Portuguese, for example, when I know this not to be true. It can be tangentially condescending, in the sense that you think the other person thinks you can't converse at all, and thus aren't making a good judgment call in regards to knowing your limitations. I'd wager that 99% of the time the other person isn't being intentionally malevolent, it can just feel like that when you're making an honest effort at being accommodating, only to get shot down immediately.
>>
>>1234928
is this pasta?
>>
>>1234858
Fuck off Pierre
>>
>>1234845

Australians
>>
>>1234845

i always do that when there is a third person who isn't fluent in the language around
>>
>>1234845
you probably spoke Japanese to a Korean anon

English is the global default language of travelers
it just is.

it's nice to say hello in someones native language, but they probably speak english better than you speak their language in 60% of cases
>>
>>1237172
This reminds of some 7-11 in suburban Bangkok... Cashier some regular Thai guy. Me and my friends white af. Greeted him in English. He responded in Korean, so I switched to Korean. (It was a bit of back and forth cause they didn't accept my bank card.) My friends' faces were priceless. I never thought Korean would come handy outside of Korea.
>>
>>1234864
This.

It's not about you. When they need to answer the same question a million times, why risk saying it in case you don't understand?

You know you can always tell them "I'm really trying to force myself to speak more in _language_ if it's possible"

----

on another note, how many of you have learned "hello" in a foreign language and after saying it, they assume you're fucking fluent and you just look at them with your stupid ass face hahaha
>>
when there's people that don't speak english in the hostel
>>
>>1237194
>how many of you have learned "hello" in a foreign language and after saying it, they assume you're fucking fluent and you just look at them with your stupid ass face
This is Israel in a nutshell, since it's hard for people to tell Israelis apart from Europeans/Americans. If you greet someone with "shalom" in a restaurant or shop they'll just start babbling at you in Hebrew until you make it obvious you don't understand. When I was there ~6 years ago I had a lot of embarrassing moments with cute waitresses giggling at me. Now I understand the language pretty well (still can't speak it fluently though) and have since gone back, but it still annoys me. Especially in Jerusalem/Tel Aviv where there are a LOT of tourists from all over, people working in service really should default to English. And I have no idea why they even hire waitstaff who cannot speak English, since that was also very common (give order in English, girl nods and walks away, another person comes over to take order since she cannot understand).

Also, the fucking arrogant French monkies in CDG piss me off. The security there ALWAYS start speaking at you in French before sighing loudly and switching to exasperated English.
>>
>>1237194
>how many of you have learned "hello" in a foreign language and after saying it, they assume you're fucking fluent

This is why you always say "hello" straight afterwards; it's a way of being polite and asking if they speak English.

>"Merhaba. Hello. One kebab please."
>>
>>1237212
>Also, the fucking arrogant French monkies in CDG piss me off. The security there ALWAYS start speaking at you in French before sighing loudly and switching to exasperated English.

After the exchange, I would end with a hearty "Mercy bow coop"
>>
>>1237238
>No Kebab left. Only tickets to Camel festival and cigarettes.
>Hey, you look like that guy, from that movie.
>Hey everybody he looks like that guy
>Say that funny line again.
>My family they want picture with you.
>You should see my brother immediately for a deal on a carpet

My entire trip to to the Aegean Region.
>>
>>1237238
Are you from Quebec, by any chance? I work in Quebec sometimes and always greet people with "Bonjour, hi". Then they can choose which language they want to converse in. I really like this system.

Also, pro-tip: you'd be surprised how much locals appreciate it if you ask if they can speak English. French-Canadians will treat you so much better if you say "parlez-vous anglais?" instead of just immediately speaking to them in English.
>>
>>1237212
Lel you want the default language to be English in a French airport? Why would they start talking a language that is not their native tongue in their own country, you globalist goblin?
>>
>>1237346
That's not the biggest problem with CDG... They are all scammers there.
>>
>>1234845
I work in a restaurant in Paris and I do this everyday, it makes the transaction more fluent. also if they continue to essay to talk in french I answer in french because I know they want to practice

btw im not a frog I just live here
>>
>>1237410
>the french in a nutshell
LE WE WAS KING ONCE
>>
showing up in a town

>israelis everywhere
>>
>>1237478
>being too retarded to reply with arguments
>>
Gypsies.
>>
>>1234845
Travel mates with no stamina. Like they are tired of walking, or need a break/nap. I am one of those sun up, to sun down on the move types, with only a few hours of sleep
>>
>>1234845
Seeing other Americans who get triggered at the sight of me.

Went to Japan with a Brazilian friend of mine who was fluent in Japanese. Some American bitch thought he was Mexican and didn't know English and said she was disappointed to know Mexican people are in Japan too.

I was a lot more offended than he was. But I got over it by the next day.
>>
>>1234863
I'm confused by this too, I got from your post you're a native English speaker and they can tell it from your accent so they respond in English.
>>
>>1237172
>English is the global default language of travelers

In many parts of Latin America Spanish is actually more of the traveller language, except in the small number of hostels that cater specifically to gringos. English knowledge is so low and latin america is so large and full of other latino travelers that you're pretty much expected to get around using Spanish in many places.
>>
>>1239291
>I am one of those sun up, to sun down on the move types, with only a few hours of sleep

This sounds awful, I really hope you aren't the clingy type too. I'd send you off on your 5th tourist site of the day while I hang out and get a beer and relax.

It's not a matter of stamina, there's quite a bit you're missing if you're rushing around all of the time like that.
>>
>All these autistic as fuck reasons to get mad while travelling

you guys need to chill the fuck out
>>
>>1234845
When it's rain season and it you can't go outside.
>>
>>1239323
>This sounds awful, I really hope you aren't the clingy type too.

naw, prefer solo, but have the unfortunate circumstance that people like to cling to me. And I cater, so they are good, but I am miserable.
>>
>>1239323
And it's not rushing. It's just never stopping moving. Even on work days, I go all day, and a few hours sleep. Not rushing, just no breaks. One ex would go back and forth between saying I was a machine, and slow down, you are not a machine. I don't rush, Just never stop.
>>
>>1234891
>I hated that in Quebec. I speak good French and every fucking time they immediately switch to English.
You THINK you speak good French. But obviously they can tell that you're not native because they switch to English.

Your French might be sufficient but clearly you sound bad enough that they think their English will be better.

>>1237183
>I never thought Korean would come handy outside of Korea
I've used Chinese in all sorts of places that weren't China. Even fucking Paris because it's better than my French.

>>1237209
>when there's people that don't speak english in the hostel
One of the fun parts of hostel staying is trying to pick up a girl when neither of you speak a common language. A russian girl I met, we used French, Chinese, German...whatever language we each knew a few words of. It's good times.

>>1237194
>how many of you have learned "hello" in a foreign language and after saying it, they assume you're fucking fluent and you just look at them with your stupid ass face hahaha
Yeah, that happens all the time and of course, it's the reason that people switch to a language that they think the other person knows.
>>
>>1234891
I think french is considered kinda low class in Canada?
>>
>>1234863
Because you talk like a toddler and its embarassing
>>
>>1234845
I hate that too. It feels so belittling, like they don't even want to waste their time with some gringo trying to speak their language.
>>
>>1239365
Why are you so butthurt and defensive? I speak very good French, like I said nobody has ever tried to switch languages in France or any other French-speaking country. It just seems to be a special assholeness of Quebec.
>>
>>1239336
Sounds like rushing tbqh

You also remind me of this autistic guy I met once, you're not him are you?
>>
>>1234863
they just want to be polite and make communication easier for you.
>>
File: 1422569553472.jpg (80KB, 876x493px) Image search: [Google]
1422569553472.jpg
80KB, 876x493px
>>1234845
The Chinese Menace.
>>
>>1239431
How is being always doing something, always active, the same as rushing? I am not speeding through activities. I am just a sun to sun down type of person. I do have ADHD and am not medicated. ADHD is on autistic spectrum
>>
>>1234891
They were probably embarrassed because nobody in Quebec speaks good French
>>
>>1239580
They did some fucked up shit at Siem Reap, too, I believe
>>
>>1234863
Because you are a customer and it's their job to make you as comfortable and happy as possible
Just tell them you can talk with them in english or their language, they honestly don't give a shit
>>
>>1234845
So much this.
My main reason for going through Québec was for French language immersion but people in the cities would respond to me in English automatically as soon as they detected my accent. Montréal especially
Even in the sticks the people that spoke some English wanted to practice it instead of speaking French. Fuck off dicks
>>
>>1241101

Half of /trv complains that people in Quebec don't speak English enough, while the other half is pissed that we switch to English too quickly when we hear you struggling with French.

Can't please everyone I guess.
>>
>>1234845
>>1234845
>being this self-centered
>first world problems

shut the fuck up and be grateful you are welcome in their country and grateful you even have a passport
>>
File: 1404571945247.jpg (55KB, 679x631px) Image search: [Google]
1404571945247.jpg
55KB, 679x631px
>people that walk too slowly down the streets

I'm looking at you pajeet, and your 6 grandmas walking 6 abrest
>>
>>1237377
Do you look like Borat?
>>
>>1241278
It's weird isn't it. You see unmarried autistic Indian girls travelling with their siblings, parents and grandparents, roaming around cities in packs of ten or more. No other culture is glued so closely to their family in such a suffocating manner. How you gonna hit up the bars and find a husband if granddad and his dirty turban are following you everywhere at a snail's pace?
>>
>>1241278
Spanish always do that, whether in Spain or visiting other countries. Groups of Spanish people are always standing in the middle of something, blocking everyone's way, and completely oblivious to it.
>>
Chinese your groups. You're just hanging out and suddenly this deafening noise of 30 Chinese is suddenly around you, pushing in line, blockading any vending machines or stalls and pushing everyone out of the way.
Terrible.
>>
>>1241416
Tour***** groups
>>
>>1241360
Arranged marriages. The parents and grandparents do the matchmaking.
>>
File: pajeet.png (718KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
pajeet.png
718KB, 640x640px
>>1241463
Lucky for Indian males. They are ugly and awkward as fuck. They wouldn't be able to attract a female naturally anyway.
>>
Little noisy children; people so fat you can't properly fit into your seat because they sit nearby. Also: Russian tourists. I hate them, they behave like subhumans sometimes. (inb4 shitstorm: I'm Russian, I have a right to hate them)
>>
>>1234928
Low quality bait, or just a childish prick
>>
>>1234871
>be me
>live already almost 10 months in Germany
>haven't spoken to anyone in English
>>
>>1241520
Not too long ago I was standing in line for passport control at Istanbul Ataturk, with a couple of dozen people in front of me (East Asians mostly), but a line that was moving. I notice that we are standing on one side, and that are others (whites) passing by, while there is no priority mark or anything, they were literally just passing by. So next time we move, I stop with my feet further apart, put my backpack next to me.
The random white person who was trying to pass next starts mumbling something. With the nicest smile I could pull, I turn back and say that I was standing in line for the exact same thing. (That was when the East Asians realized that the random people passing had no priority actually. lol)
Then started a few minutes of constant cursing right next to my ear, kurwa I understood, some more, too, I saw on their boarding passes that they were all going to Russia. They're so fucking dumb, too, cause there were 6-8 passport control desks, and there is supposed to be one person standing per desk. As soon as they could pass me by, a group of Russians surrounded the same desk (before I could go to one). Next one that became free was much quicker for me, cause the passport control agent that was not mobbed was 'somehow' much faster than the one surrounded by a group.

And then a funny one: I'm standing at a supermarket in Brussels. A woman comes up to me with a piece of cheese and asks me if I speak English (in English). I tell her I do. She then proceeds to ask me quiestions in Russian. I happen to understand a bit of Russian, but I cannot speak it, so I proceed to respond in English. "Oh, so you don't speak English?" And she keeps on asking stuff in Russian, like really specific questions about the way the cheese was made. I excuse myself and look around to see who left their mentally disabled relatives alone in a supermarket.

Oh well, could be worse.
Like could be Indians who litter everywhere.
>>
For me, it would have to be when complete strangers touch me.

It's already a deplorable act in everyday life, but I hate it even more when I'm trying to relax and enjoy myself. Fuckers.

For some reason, it's usually middle-aged white American women who are aggressive this way. Don't fucking touch me, you fucking assholes.
>>
>>1239580
fucking Chinese people kek.
>>
>>1237212
>Especially in Jerusalem/Tel Aviv where there are a LOT of tourists from all over, people working in service really should default to English.
That would be completely ridiculous.
>>
>>1239323
How is he the one missing things exactly?

People who go on holiday to hang around the hotel are the ones missing things.
>>
>>1234845
>What are things that ruin your mood while traveling?

Seeing immigrants and muhammads outnumber the native population. It completely killed the mood for me in Paris, London, Brussels, Berlin, etc. I was happy for the day if I got to see a blond child, which usually didn't occur.

Oh and, why the fuck do people graffiti historial sights and monuments? Shit pisses me off to no end. Literally every inch of public transportation in most major Euro cities are covered in it too. Disgusting
>>
>>1241531
For me it's completely hit and miss

>just moved to Germany
>my German isn't the best
>need some help
>me: "Entschuldigen Sie, sprechen Sie Englisch?"
>person: "Ja aber Sie können gut Deutsch sprechen. Was kann ich für Sie tun?"
>proceed to speak beginner German with mild success

>fast forward 2 years
>me: "Hallo, können Sie mir kurz helfen?"
>person: "Sure, what do you want?"
>proceed to uncomfortably speak English knowing that my German is just as good if not better

When I want to speak English I end up speaking German and when I want to speak German I end up speaking English. Common rule of thumb is that everyone <35 in cities will end up speaking English to you if you even have the slightest of accents.
>>
>>1242312
>Common rule of thumb is that everyone <35 in cities will end up speaking English to you if you even have the slightest of accents.

Vielleicht liegt's daran dass dein Akzent einfach beschissen ist.
>>
>>1234871

>be dutch
>be in amsterdam
>Go to mcdonalds
>server only speaks english

I know that feel, bro
>>
>>1239365

Talking to girls in foreign languages can be fun.

I found my german was alot better than I thought it was when I was trying to talk to a czech hooker.
>>
>>1239318

He shouldve told her off in Japanese.
>>
>>1241019
what the fuck did they do this time?
>>
>>1239332
This is one of the few legitimate reasons to be pissed in the thread. Was going to go for a big hiking trip in Taiwan and a massive typhoon hit. Locked us inside for a couple of days and ruined the trails for like a week, fucking annoying.
>>
The Spanish. They never get mentioned, but if you're on a flight to South America you're sure to encounter the obnoxious tossers. I hate them. I had some idiot push his pillows and blanket behind to my seat last week and the woman next to me constantly elbowing me without apologising, disgrace.
>>
>>1242304
Amerifat who has no passport but shouts loud /pol/ memes.
>>
>>1242774
After a few beers? My foreign languages always get a lot better when I'm drunk.
>>
>>1242808
They're the worst!
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.