[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many days do you recommend for Budapest? I might go and visit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: budapest.jpg (214KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
budapest.jpg
214KB, 1024x576px
How many days do you recommend for Budapest? I might go and visit next week. A friend of mine went last year and he told me he got bored after a couple of days. It doesn't have any big interesting side trips as far as I can tell like Prague has for example. You guys think five full days are enough?

Day 1 - get there in the early morning, explore city by foot
Day 2 - museums
Day 3 - museums
Day 4 - chill in baths
Day 5 - day trip to Visegrad
Day 6 - take bus back home, if there's still stuff to see take a night bus
>>
I reckon 3 days to see stuff and 1or 2 to chill/drink heavily are perfect for Budapest
>>
>>1232832
I am from slovakia and I travel to Budapest a lot. Your program seems to be okay, I would also recommend to go to Esztergom and see the Basilica which is the second biggest cathedral in Europe after the one in Rome.

You have to be VERY careful with the taxi drivers and the subway ticket checkers. As soon as they found out you are not from hungary 70% of them will try to scam you.
>>
>>1232832
I spent 7 days there and I barely managed to see it all.

PS. it's amazing
>>
>>1232848
>>1232861
>>1232866

I booked for a week now, going there on the 10th and leaving on the 16th at night. I had another look at the possible side trips so I decided to stay a bit longer.
>>
>>1232929
good 4 u anon
>>
It's way more interesting than prague. I've spent 10 and 7 days on my 2 trips there. The nightlife and party hostel scene made it hard to leave.
Also add caving to your list.
>>
Recommend me some stuff guys - restaurants, bars, cafes, street food, football or sports events

I looked into the possible sidetrips again, what do you guys think

monday - arrive at 8am, get to hostel, explore city
tuesday - museums
wednesday - museums, some local baths
thursday - day trip to danube bend, esztergom and visegrad
friday - day trip to gödöllö, see the palace
saturday - day trip to eger
sunday - see stuff in budapest i haven't seen yet

my only concern is if stuff is open on friday, saturday and sunday?
>>
>>1233113
Where do you do the caving, in the city or in some national park? You know if it is expensive?
>>
>>1233114
restaurants... depends on what you like.
hungarians don't necessarily tend to eat traditional hungarian food in restaurants, we mostly cook that stuff at home, so you'll mostly bump into hungarianized italian, french, vietnamese, chinese, turkish, greek, what have you...

that being said, to taste something that is like home-cooked hungarian food, i always recommend http://www.kisharang.hu/contact.html to people. it's between basilica and parliament.
i mean there are places like http://nancsineni.hu/en/menu/ or http://400bar.hu/etlap/ that sell good hungarian food for reasonable prices, but they have all sorts of random stuff in there that people wouldn't eat at home... at kisharang it's only the types of dishes that we really eat, so you can pick anything.
the other main thing to note food-wise: market halls! for lunch. (between 11.30 and 14.00 is when they have the widest selection of fresh meals).
just go to any market hall... great market hall -- go only for the architecture, do not buy anything, everyone is ripped off there. any other market hall is good for cheap hungarian lunchtime meals. from paprikás krumpli to rántott csirke, húsleves, pörkölt, kolbász, lecsó, etc etc hold utcai became very touristy recently, but there are still a few places in the corners of the ground floor where you have the more traditional stuff. klauzál téri, lehel, fény utcai, rákóczi téri, újbuda, etc there are market halls all over the place, just google maps 'piac' or ask your hostel for pointers.
bars... just hit the party district. kazinczy utca-király utca. the scene changes every night, so it's hard to tell which ones will have the best parties when you are there, but if you hit király utca, you'll find some anyway. desu best to team up with some people, and just do your own pub crawl.
my borderline alcoholic foreign friends loved the 'kocsma' type pubs. they sell literally nothing but alcohol. easiest places to make friends, cause everyone is smashed
>>
>>1233114
>>1233130
+
the cafe scene is quite good. i like to watch people from farger at szabadság tér (again between parliament and basilica), or hadik/szatyor in buda. miro in the castle. (do not skip the castle, but also make sure you do not eat anywhere in the castle!! biggest ripoff, there are plenty eateries 5 minutes walk away in every direction, eg. moszkva tér, batthyányi tér, tabán, etc.) bambi eszpresszó on bem tér (between margit-sziget and the castle) is like a leftover from the seventies, hit it up if you end up going to király bath (another great leftover from seventies and ottoman era). the touristy cafe is cafe gerbeaud, it's not bad, but like... meh.

my personal fave cheap eat is vietnamese at the józsefvárosi market. so fresh, cheap, quite authentic, but like... don't go there just for that.

football is shit in hungary, though we have plenty of stadiums. swimming! water we're very good at, there is always some world championship going on related to water. this year it's the fina world aquatics championship, and there's plenty more in the pipeline...

in gödöllő there's literally only the palace, and nothing else, i hope you know that.

esztergom at least has some other stuff than the basicila, like... they have at least a few more streets that look interesting, have some pubs, etc. i cannot for my life recall anything like that from gödöllő, but maybe i'm just biased towards esztergom. btw the train from nyugati to esztergom stops at a place called aquincum, some nice roman era ruins if you're into that.
eger sounds like a much better choice, though make sure you don't miss your train (bus) back, with all the wine you'll eventually end up drinking.

restaurants, cafes, patisseries, etc are all open on sundays. musea are generally closed on mondays, so you shouldn't have a problem there.
>>
>>1233134
okay, i'll shut up after this, but apparently that vietnamese expanded with 2 actual restaurants.
http://vietnamietterem.hu/etlap

>>1233115
not same person, but depends whether you want actual caving, or just a walk in a cave...?
i mean inside budapest you can do both, but walk in a cave you can do without much prior arrangement, just show up and wait for the next tour. the actual caving is a lot of arrangement.

you can go diving in a former brewery below kőbánya, also fun
>>
>>1233114
you should ditch Gödöllő and instead discover more of Budapest (like take the bus to Normafa and take in the view or wander around Margitsziget with a couple of beers in hand, or check out the two Roman amphitheatres of the city and visit Aquincum), or maybe spend a couple of hours in Szentendre, a quaint little Baroque town just north of Budapest
>>
>>1233114
here are some of my fav restaurants in Budapest

>Fióka (nice traditional Hungarian meals with a modern twist)
>Kéhli (classic Hungarian dishes and a turn-of-the-century atmosphere)
>Momotaro Ramen (the best Chinese food in Budapest, closed on Mondays)
>Black Cab Burger (amazing and inexpensive hamburgers)
>Bors (nice soups in a cup and tasty grilled baguettes)
>Soul Food (this one's near Bors, they serve Southern US food)
>Kurucz Hentes (awesome butchery and bbq venue in the Klauzál téri piac)
>Revolúción Budapest (finger licking good tex mex)

great bars and drinking spots
>Fellini Kultúrbisztró
>A38
>Akvárium (its neighbouring area is always teeming with people drinking and chilling)
>EdVino Wine Bar (relaxed venue with a terrace in a comfy little street in Buda)
>the whole of Gozsdu Courtyard (although very crowded and touristy)
>Ellátókert
>Élesztő (crafts beer bar with gazillion beers on tap)
>Belga Söröző (belgian beer bar overlooking the Parliament)
>Jónás Kézműves Sörház (near the Szabadság bridge in Pest)
>Mélypont presszó (hidden time machine, transporting you back to a typical commieblock living room from the 70s)
>Szimplakert (a Mecca for tourists)
>Krimó (popular pub amongst locals on Kazinczy utca with a nice house beer)
>>
Budapest
>>
Thanks guys

I'll be going a week later to avoid the Easter crowds
>>
ayyy im going in may. found this good itinerary:
http://welovebudapest.com/budapest.and.hungary/what.to.do.with.2.3.or.5.days.in.budapest
just a rough guide on the good sites and activities to do, which i'll be using. might help you too.
>>
>>1232929
nice, Im going the exact same dates.

Where can I watch the championsleague games? Im staying between district V and VII. Do I need to make a reservation?
>>
>>1232832
I'm going to Budapest in a couple of weeks.
How bike friendly it is to get around, how likely is it that my bike gets stolen?
>>
>>1234797
It ain't no Copenhagen, but better than most of Eastern Europe. The infrastructure is crap as in the bike lanes are marked pretty randomly, and do not connect well. Pro is bike lanes exist. Local drivers treat you with a bit of respect, your problem can be non-Budapesters driving through. There are places where you can chain your bike all over town. If you have a good bike, you want to have it next to you at all times. Crap bikes you can leave anywhere, even unchained. Good ones you take up to your hotel room. It's pretty normal to bring your nice bike inside ruin pubs or open-air cafes, restaurants, etc.
tl;dr bring a shitty bike
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.