[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever had anything stolen from you on a flight? Looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: cathay.jpg (4MB, 7230x5428px) Image search: [Google]
cathay.jpg
4MB, 7230x5428px
Have you ever had anything stolen from you on a flight?

Looking for a bit of advice here. I had 20,000 QAR stolen ($8000 Canadian) from my bag on a flight from Qatar to Hong Kong. I don't know how they knew money was in my bag but it was tucked away at the bottom and when I got off the flight it was gone. My bag was in the overhead compartment.

I wasn't thinking straight it was a 3:45AM flight and I wanted to keep my bag on me but I wanted to sleep as well so I just put it in the compartment thinking it would be safe.

I've contacted the airlines and they pretty much told me there's nothing they can do and I should contact the Hong Kong Police Department. I don't even know where to start.

Does anyone have any similar stories? Did you get your money back? What should I do in this situation?
>>
file a police report and make a travel insurance claim?
>>
>>1232741
I didn't have travelers insurance. I was over there for two months and it was my first time flying so I had no idea what I was doing.

A police report is the best option?
>>
>>1232747
damn, just have to chalk it up to bad luck. the police report will only be a memento at this point. next time, check your shit when getting your bag from the compartment. i've heard of chinese gangs being arrested on arrival because of their in-flight sticky fingers.
>>
Who the fuck even carries $8k Canadian in cash, don't you have to declare over $2k? Why the fuck not just withdraw money in hk? How the fuck did someone take money from your bag without any flight attendants or you noticing ?

Also not having travel insurance carrying that much cash? To be fair I think they only insure you for the $2k amount normally but still ? This is either complete bs or you are just a massive retard
>>
Pro-tip: If you're carrying that much cash, keep it in a hidden travel belt or somewhere on your person.

>>1232805
The only smart thing I have read in this thread. Jesus christ
>>
>>1232805
First time flying, first time working abroad. I literally have no experience in this.

I thought it would be safe tucked into the bottom of my bag.
At the airport they never asked me if I had to declare any money or anything or else I would have said I have 20k QAR on me.
>>
>>1232706
This is called 'tax for the stupid' in some languages.
>>
>>1232906
You were flying into Hong Kong, they are a free port and require no declaration of currency. But most countries have a limit on how much you can personally transport. Hong Kong is just a rare special case.

Don't carry that much cash ever. In the past, people used traveler's checks for this very reason. Now, with international banking and debit cards, you can just get money at your destination and get the best exchange rate that way.

A chink must have been observing you, and picked a time during when everyone was sleeping to look through your bag, probably in the bathroom.

Your best bet is to contact the police, they may be looking for a gang that is involved in this theft. They will put a word out on any currency exchange places that suddenly get 20,000 qar. If you are well connected, you may want to contact your embassy.

But in reality, consider this a very expensive lesson.
>>
>>1232923
Thanks for the reply.

I contacted the Canadian Embassy in Qatar this morning. They told me to contact the Hong Kong Police right away. So after contacting the police they replied saying that I needed proof that money was stolen from me.

I still have the QNB bank Envelope but I didn't take any pictures of the money.

So I don't really know what to say to the police.
>>
>>1232747
>had $8000 in his bag
>didn't have it in his possession but in some shitty overhead compartment

strike this one up as a loss and be grateful for the lesson...your money is gone mate
>>
Shitty, OP. I mean there's literally no way for you to prove any of it so I think you're going to have to tough it out.

Was flying with a stack of $10k USD in my carry-on from Europe to Canada recently and tossed it in the overhead as well. Shitty situation and was thinking about this situation occurring as well.
>>
why do people travel with so much money?
are you criminals or something? Like why would you ever need more than $500 on hand in the 1st world?

I don't even put my phone/laptop/kindle in the overhead for this very reason. It's just too damn easy
>>
>>1232940
Why did you have that much money? I'm curious.
>>
>>1232942
Say you sell property in a foreign country, and don't want to get taxed to fuck bringing it back, this is something you might do. Hypothetically of course.
>>
>>1232946
ok so you're avoiding tax
I hate tax as much as anyone but if you're going to do risky shit at least protect yourself

Honestly I just can't comprehend how a 4channer would have any use for carrying legal 8k on him. Let alone being dumb enough to leave it out of his ownership when he is moving somewhere new.

gonna call this one a troll lads
>>
>>1232944
This place isn't as anonymous as it used to be 15 years ago, sorry.
>>
>>1232948
Lol alright bud.
>>
>>1232947
Not trolling, just first time working abroad and did it all solo. Had no idea about any of this. Probably should have looked into it more but was working 12 hours a day over there and it messes you up.
>>
File: prettygood.webm (423KB, 325x304px) Image search: [Google]
prettygood.webm
423KB, 325x304px
>>1232940
Yeah, lesson learned.
How was working abroad in Europe? I'm looking into it now that i've lost everything.
>>
>>1233791
which industry?
>>
>>1232805
>>1232909
>>1232939

STOP the victim blaming! It is NEVER the victims fault.
>>
>>1232741
Even if this guy had travel insurance it's unlikely that this would be covered. They will claim the bag was unattended.
>>
>>1232946
What? Can't you just wire it? I never got taxed on US-Canada transfers.
>>
>>1233787
What kind of work op?
>>
>>1233791
Wasn't working.

Also protip for anyone else carrying cash in carry-on who -doesn't- want to declare it for whatever reason, put it in a stack, and make sure you place it upright and with a face of the bills towards either extremity of the bag. The x-ray machines may have sensors going up-down, in which case it will miss it, or side-side, which will also miss it, and there are no beams aimed from the entrance to exit flap because cancer.
>>
>>1232706
Any withdrawal you made should have a digital record, printable statement, something online. That will be your proof you were carrying it. A bank envelope is a joke. Did you not use bank accounts?

I'm sorry, but I can't imagine putting actual cash in the overhead of that amount. If you wanted to sleep, it would be under a jacket in a neck purse or crossbody inside a shirt , inside some fanny pack if you aren't a light sleeper, or would be in a money belt, as another anon said. If your bag was like some ballistic material with a lock, maybe it'd be at my feet. It's far easier to pilfer in an unlocked bag than to leave a flight with the whole bag. I have never seen an airline searching passengers, but it'd be all too easy to spot your large carryon if you notified flight attendants prior to exiting the plane, that the whole bag was missing. You'd all stand there looking at tags and bags as people left. It is good to have a bag that isn't basic black in this case, and your name inside, not just on a tag.

Go ahead and get your bank statement receipt and make your police report. Send the police report to the airline, but don't expect a damn thing, even a reply. It might help either of them catch a gang of certain names and blacklist them from flights on a banned list if not outright catch them in the act with a decoy.

This is experience now. You know what is far more scary than theft inflight? Someone planting drugs on you. Don't leave bags unattended. If you intend to sleep or totally alone, you probably shouldn't have a bag above you that can be opened.
>>
You fucking dumb nigger, you NEVER keep cash separate from you.

Cash always stays with you. You might have to get creative with how you store it, but you do NOT separate it from you.

Goddamn fuck.
>>
>>1234208
I feel like this is useful advance but I don't understand it
>>
>>1234208
then who was bill?
>>
>>1232706
I would just like to add that snowbirds who do seasonal rentals do often, say from Germany, travel with $10k coming into the US, and I guess pay for their rental up front for the months of vacation. I don't understand all the intricacies of why you wouldn't deal in traceable records like wire transfers, but maybe property owners and these renters both really want to inspect a house and want off the record cash for their tax reasons too.
People who buy gems like to carry that amount of cash, for sure, but they sure don't fly and travel alone. You have to realize that you have almost no privacy now with the xray machines, and colluding airport personnel. People watch you in airports, tip off buddies to things like your seat number.
I can tell you that I always put my bag, not above my head, but across an aisle and slightly forward so I can see right into the bin whenever anyone is in there, so they both can't slip something into my bag's pocket, or wrinkle my coat. This is a protip! If I have certain can't-be-replaced valuables, they're in the smaller removable bag slipped out of my bigger carryon, with me at my seat, and it locks, a simple padlock on the zipper pull, or a locked item inside that is secured inside, etc. Notice that women's and men's bags/purses from Italy? They all have secured seams and double zippers, for locking, zipped inside pockets, none of that floppy open fashion, but features that prevent pickpocketing, and that's just a tip to buy items that make sense for travel by understanding that design necessity. There are some travel situations that even a hardside bag make sense though I hate them for convenience and design otherwise.
>>
surprised nobody said this before - the money was most probably not stolen during the flight, but either before (more likely) or after. Think abuot who could have seen you putting money there, or checking the money in the bag, and where it was. Probably before th flight, eh?

Also, to all that talk about travel insurance: most typically travel insurance doesn't cover that kind of money in cash. E.g. the one that comes with my credit card: covers only up to 600 and only withdrawn from an ATM with that card in the last 48hours, and only includes certain kinds of robbery. Yeah, if my travel insurance sucks doesn't mean yours sucks too, but I seriously doubt any standard package would cover the case like OP's.

Finally, the proof that you had the moeny, is probably you Qatar bank statement.
>>
>>1234208
Or use bitcoins and move the wallets electronically and cash in one country cash out in another, there's way to many ways to move cash tax free now undetectable.

Don't think this went missing on the flight OP, you would of seen. No one on a flight is going to get up start digging through someone elses bag all the way to the bottom. They don't know who owns it or if you have friends in other seats. Angle doesn't make much sense.

Have I ever had anything stolen? Yes.
2 gopros and a RX100 leaving Mexico to New York from checked luggage. Couldn't file a local police report, didn't even realise until got to the hotel in New York. Lesson learnt.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.