[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm off to Athens in September with a few friends and i

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: acropolis-akropolis.jpg (58KB, 550x367px) Image search: [Google]
acropolis-akropolis.jpg
58KB, 550x367px
I'm off to Athens in September with a few friends and i cant find anything to do in Athens other than the Acropolis and a couple of the famous buildings. Been searching for a while now so thought i would see if anyone with firsthand experience in Athens is able to help me out with tips/things to do/see.
>>
i have this same question too
>>
File: plato.jpg (194KB, 780x438px) Image search: [Google]
plato.jpg
194KB, 780x438px
>>1232282
Other attractions in Athens include some lovely hospitals (for when the smog gives you emphysema), scenic mountains of trash, fun mystery tours (any cab will do) and colorful local traditions, such as rioting. There's also some overcrowded ruins you've probably heard of. They're the bits on the hill - the rest of it just looks that way through neglect.
>>
>>1233136
damn is it really that bad?
>>
>>1233267
He didn't mention the graffiti.
>>
>>1232282
I am interested in a trip to Athens. Is it worth it?
>>
>>1233136
I visited Athens with my school twice some 9 and 7 years ago and it was the dirtiest city I've ever seen, not even Bolivian cities come close to the feeling of Athens, just an overall rundown, smelly city that feels slightly unsafe, although it is perfectly safe in reality.

The attractions are day trips, like Delphi and some islands.
>>
>>1233267
Yeah kinda
>>
>>1233417
>>1233309
>>1233278

Well this sucks. I was planning a trip to Athens. I haven't purchased anything yet but I pretty much confirmed in my head that I'd be going there.

So is it worth going to? I can pretty much go to any country around Israel but most are shitty/war torn, so I dont know what to do.

Would a greek island be better?
>>
>>1233454
Jordan is safe, so is Lebanon.
Egypt, Sinai, Dahab. Go there.

captcha
generale mexico
>>
>>1233454
Go to the islands. Plenty of natural beauty, greek culture and whatever else you want, popular ones have tourist dollars to keep them afloat so are quite nice compared to the mainland which should be avoided at all costs.
>>
>>1233454
Go to Athens man it's dirty and run down but still interesting, feels different than the polished European cities. Stay for two nights and then head to the islands or the Peloponnese, so much historical shit and awesome landscapes for much less than you'd pay in Spain or Italy. The smaller cities like Corinth
are pretty fun too.
>>
>>1233527

What this guy said, it might not be a pretty city (save for the old town around the Acropolis) but it's interesting and the nightlife's great. Just don't expect anything like the cities you know in Europe. I was there in 2016 and was prepared to find a dirty place with nothing to do, instead I got a dirty place where I had lots of fun.

The city center has lots of places to go out for the night and they stay lively til the morning. September is still quite warm, so use public transport to get to the beachfront.

>>1233454

If you're gonna be visiting Greece I think at least one island visit is a must. Santorini is a tourist trap but it's one of the most beautiful places imaginable. There are some less famous ones nearer to the port of Athens if you don't have much time but I haven't been to those.
>>
>>1233644
>>1233527
>>1233520
Thanks for the advice guys. And holy shit Santorini does look very cool.

>>1233509
Originally I was going to go to Egypt but everything I've heard makes it sound terrible. And I have heard that the Sinai peninsula is sketchy atm.

Also I was looking at Lebanon but I have to fly home via Israel, and I don't want any problems.

I think ill do Athens and an Island like the other anons said.
>>
What are the two best islands to visit? I like:

nature
history
the idea of a quaint town where I might get something "authentic" (pls don't groan) with the important stipulation that I do not speak any Greek whatsoever

not crazy about:

clubbing (so like not Mykonos but some decent, perhaps more relaxed nightlife)
>>
>>1233711
Sinai is sketchy for 3-4 years now. Dahab is fairly safe. You won't be allowed in the sketchy areas by government soldiers anyway.
>>
>>1232282

Athens sucks, to be honest.

I went there back in 2013, on my first-ever trip abroad. Today, just shy of four years later and forty countries later, Athens remains one of a very few cities I've no desire to see again.

I flew from New York to Amsterdam and then from Amsterdam to Istanbul. My plan was to spend a handful of days in Turkey before continuing on to Athens, Cairo, Jordan, the UAE, and, eventually, India. I actually budgeted more time in Athens than Istanbul because my expectations for the ancient place were so high.

I was, to say the least, thoroughly disappointed. Compared to Istanbul, Athens was a dump. The Acropolis, Greek Museum, and a handful of other attractions were definitely worth seeing, but the rest of the city was a messy concrete jungle, covered in graffiti and overcast by smog.

My advice would be to spend two days there and then bail to the countryside or the islands. While I didn't visit the latter, my ex-girlfriend did - the pictures she took were stunning. Most everyone I've come across has said the same. Greece may be a beautiful country, but Athens is a thorn stuck into the side of its crown.
>>
>>1233938

That's the sad case with all bigger Greek cities, at least Athens is fortunate enough to provide museums, a historical city core and transport infrastructure.

>>1233798

Well Santorini has been suggested ITT, and I'll suggest it again; as said, it might be a tourist trap, but it's also much much more than that. Not another place like it in the world. It also has some proper bronze age historical sites.

I'd say look up the Cyclades in Wikipedia and other sites and pick the ones that fit your tastes. I'm not sure what your threshold for authentic vs tourist-y is. Most islands have some established tourism industry so you won't be going where no man has gone before, but on the plus side you'll have no trouble communicating.

There are other island groups throughout the Aegean and Ionian seas but from my experience the Cyclades are most convenient for moving between islands. Plus the ones near Turkey have been facing problems with refugee flows lately.
>>
Greekfag here who lives in Athens and I can tell you this.Yes,it's a concrete jungle littered to hell and back,but still you can have fun.Except for the historical sites,nightlife is pretty bomb,food is awesome and you can head to the beach with public transport easily.Plus,those guys are exaggerating the smog issue.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.