[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone emigrated to Canada? What was it like? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: Flag_of_Canada.svg.png (16KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
16KB, 1200x600px
Has anyone emigrated to Canada?

What was it like?

I'm thinking of going there to live. And the image they give off is that it's the perfect place for immigrants.

Thoughts?

My ideal situation would be working in Toronto.
>>
Where you from and what colour is your skin?
Big cities are very "multi-cultural." Small towns are very white with old school attitudes about immigrants.
East side of Toronto has been enriched with somali gangs and guns, so avoid that area. Just stay west of Church street.
What are you hoping to do in the country for work?
>>
File: MasterChef.jpg (43KB, 701x421px) Image search: [Google]
MasterChef.jpg
43KB, 701x421px
>>1231394
I'm from Brazil and I look like pic related.

How bad is the xenophobe situation over there That's literally my number one fear.

I currently work in finance for a big 4, and ideally that's what I would like to do in Canada. Transfers between countries aren't that simple, so I'm probably going to have to leave and try my luck again.

I have a friend who currently lives in Vancouver who has offered to help get me set up there, but I can't imagine doing anything in finance there since it's a smaller city.

I'm thinking of doing temporary work for 3-6 months in Toronto just to get myself on my feet before I get back into something long term.

I'm probably not going to stay in a town that's too small for the reason you mentioned.
>>
>>1231396
Going from Brazil to Canada is retarded. You are leaving a tropical place for a mostly frozen wasteland with short summers... bad choice.

I'm sure Brazil sucks in its own way too but I guarantee it's less of a cuck move to not go to Canada. Go to America!
>>
>>1231399
That's very kind but I would really rather not go to the US.

I've had my fair share of experiences in the US, that's why I'm asking if Canada is xenophobic.

Plus it's close enough anyways if I ever want to visit!
>>
>>1231396
If you work in finance you probably make decent money. Why don't you just save it there since it's much cheaper to live? This is a big problem you're going to run into in Toronto. Cost of shit is like the cost of living in Manhattan, yet you will never get paid properly to cover the insane costs of things like housing.

Canada isn't xenophobic but a lot of canadians are sick of the govt ramming "refugees" and foreign workers down our throats to replace white people. Whites have shrunk by 1million in the last generation.
You'll be fine in any city, where leftism and "new age" philosophy rules the day. A lot of companies have diversity quotas, so give yourself a good tan before you come :p
>>
>>1231403
>Why don't you just save it there since it's much cheaper to live
I live in São Paulo and it's hella expensive :(
>>
>>1231391
By all means go to Toronto, the more jobs that get stolen from millennials over there the better. If you're ever thinking of leaving Ontario, just remember that we're full
>>
You will be fine anywhere in Canada. Vancouver and Toronto are definitely your best options. Dont worry about racism.
>>
>>1231417
Thank you!
>>
As an actual immigrant living in Canada, I'm gonna have to suggest another country.

Move to either US or Hong Kong.

Only consider Canada if your other choices are UK, Germany or Sweden.
>>
>>1231454
How come? Is it the weather?

I would move to Canada probably because I don't have any other choice desu.
>>
>>1231400
yes canada is xenophobic and increasingly so, don't you feel bad for them ? they're government values immigrants and foreign labor over their own people.
>>
Alright let me break down Canada for you.

I grew up in Toronto. I'm currently 24 and have been here since I was 6.

Facts about Toronto:

>Incredibly expensive to live
>incredibly boring if you aren't rich
>cold shit weather from mod October until beginning of April (we had snow just 2 days ago)
>lots of immigrants and more coming each day good and bad ones
>crime last year was the worst in history
>our traffic congestion is very bad
>our city workers are incredibly incompetent
>our city council is probably the worst out of any major city in North America
>massive middle class and high taxes keeping you in the middle class...you can be making 75 K slaving away in an office and still live only okay
>very flat city..no nice landscape or views
>downtown is infested with condos and more are getting built every year
>public transit is shit
>people are rude...the whole Canadians are nice thing doesn't apply in Toronto. People are either fake nice or as rude as any new York stereotype if not worse
>telecommunications oligopoly that is protected by our government therefore allowing them to happily charge us $100 monthly for a phone plan

There are some good things I guess. At least for you..you would be able to find a nice growing Brazilian community.

We have food places from every culture on the planet.

Great finance sector for you but far from the best
Overall, many people like it here and many hate it. I personally can't see myself living here much longer. I am paying off my school debt then leaving. There is no joy of life here for all the reasons I listed above and more.
>>
>>1231391
Don't move to Vancouver. Everything is expensive as fuck here. You can barely make a living here and be able to put money aside for savings. You basically earn enough to live and that's it.
>>
>>1231396
I'm sure there are finance jobs in Vancouver too. Population is still over 2 million and the weather is less shit than Toronto for a similar housing market. Worth considering at any rate.
>>
>>1231396
The worst """"racism"""" I had was some old lower class guy being surpised at my english. Other than that it's just unconcious bias so you'll cap out at director instead of VP/C-level, but this applies less in finance and other technical fields.

I guess they only voice their online, but even then I don't see any muh immigrants are stealing our jobs shit. Instead white working class hate chinks for inflating housing prices while chinks hate muslims for being regressive and violent (and therefore lower housing prices). Latin americans are pretty cool, we'd probably just think you're retarded for moving to Canada for reasons in >>1231399

We don't actually have an economy so everything is just based on housing prices.

We also don't have a big 4 for finance, big 4 is for accounting which is from the US.

The big five banks are pretty decent and are more chill than american finance, at least for the algorithmic trading teams.

You should probably go to Toronto even if it's shit. Bigger finance scene and there's also more ethnic and hobby/interest communities to help you fit in.
>>
Guys, I've been thinking about working in the Oil Sands to fund my tuition at the decent university in Canada or US. Thing is, I am from Russia myself. Could someome give me a pointers about getting a right work visa to work at Oil Sands?
>>
>>1231657
you can't

no jobs in oil sands for the last 18 months or so
on a student visa you can work 20 hours a week on campus and 20 hours off
just go to some cheap school like brandon or prince george for university, but you'll need about 20k to start which might be hard to get in russia
>>
>>1231789
Huh. I figured that with all rebuild efforts there would be plenty jobs going around.
>>
>>1231396
If you look like pic related they'll consider you white in Toronto lmao.

t. from Toronto
>>
>>1231657
It's dead, Jim.
I'm a canadian welder and every time we talk about the oil industry we only get smug smiles and snickering.
>>
>>1231581
>incredibly boring

I wouldn't want to live in Toronto for a variety of reasons, but if you find Toronto boring you're pretty much fucked when it comes to all of Ontario
>>
>>1231892
Well, buggery.
Anyone could recommend a job with the levels of lucrativeness/demand for workers compared to the Oil Sands when they were going strong?
>>
>>1231950
Heh, it's hard to say. It varies by region but I don't think there really is an equivalent, that shit was huge back in the day.
Trades in general are pretty in demand, especially specialized mechanics and such.
>>
>>1231636

Do you work in algo in Toronto?

I just started work in market risk, fresh out of school, and I want to get into the trade floor.
>>
>>1231394
Which Toronto are you talking about? Maybe in Scarborough there is some loose organization of wanna be gangsters

But c'mon, you really think the Beaches, Leslieville, Cabbagetown, and Greektown have any serious gang activity?
>>
The cheapest major city here is Montreal. Its a fun place but good luck finding a job.

The small cities are really not that xenophobic and are worth researching if you're serious.
>>
>>1232000
you're not at RBC are you?
>>
>>1232000
No I'm across the street.
>>
>>1231947
Oh I agree. Toronto is the least boring in Ontario. But it's boring nonetheless.
>>
>>1231391
>>1231400
Canada isn't very xenophobic, more so now than a few years ago but that's mostly due to increasing incidents with Syrian refugees. Treat everyone with respect and you won't have any problems. (Not including language barriers)
>>
>>1231603
>you earn enough to live
>in Vancouver
How do you manage this? By sharing a small apartment with 12 other people?
>>
>>1232565

never understood this. do you guys work at minimum wage jobs?

my household income is above average but i get by just fine and put away quite a bit in savings.
>>
>>1231391
Yes go to vancouver or toronto, Quebec is to be avoided at all cost, very racist. You should definitively settle in some anglo places, they are very open. Plz do not go to Quebec.
>>
>>1231391
FUCK OFF WE'RE FULL
>>
>>1233008
nah, we ain't full. we got lots of space.
>>
>>1233009
If we have lots of space, why were so many hotels and military bunkers forced to give up theirs for the refugees?
>>
>>1232609
Nice try Jean, but soon you Frenchies are gonna get BROWNed just like the rest of us. In fact, you already got a head-start with the Métis.

At least you're not Manitoba though. When on the one hand, Rashid is casually entering the country without even knowing a lick of English, getting a free job anywhere that the hiring manager is his race, then sending his money back home to let the rest of his extended family pour in at the expense of our economy, and on the other hand, the welfare-parasite Natives with their corrupt dictator Chiefs are haunting everyone with ghosts of the past and sins of the fathers to suck more money from the government, who can barely afford to fill all the yearly fucking artillery-strike potholes in the streets, then I welcome our new Philipino overlords.
>>
>>1233015
because it makes sense as temporary housing until something more adequate is made. houses can be built and we have lots of land to build houses on.
>>
>>1231391
Hey op,

Toronto is a good choice as everyone is from somewhere else. It's a city where I feel an immigrant can truly make it (my dad went from working for 2 bucks an a hour at a printing company to being an architect and my mom is a banker now). Neither of them have perfect English but I love that it's okay over here.

I'm Filipino but pretty much as culturally Canadian as I can be. My advice would be to embrace how diverse Toronto is but also don't stick to you own race too much. Work on your English because that's what'll get you the high paying jobs more quickly.

Best of luck with your move! I've met plenty of Brazilians who are loving it here.
>>
>>1231414
Shut up this isn't facebook
>>
>>1234640
>I'm Filipino
>the mexican of Asia making it

Good job my pinoy friend.
>>
Yeah, nah. Unless you have $100k in your pocket right now (and even that is not enough) then you have no chance at making it in Canada. The "golden age" of the 80s-early 2000s are gone
>>
Fuck off, were full
>>
>>1231396
Vanvouverfag here. Xenophobia is the last thing you need to worry about (It's like 40% white here). It's a great city with great food, great mountains, great night life, and the shittiest weather on earth.

Also fuck off for saying we're a small city. 2 mil.
>>
>>1231396
>How bad is the xenophobe situation over there That's literally my number one fear.
are you honestly worried about that shit in the most diverse city on the planet with le diversity is our strength man running things?
>>
the only people you need to worry about in canada are the conservatives who are fussing about immigration, but even then they are not going to bother you.
>>
>>1231391
Their economy's in the shitter right now, leave them alone unless you're a billionaire who intends to create high-paying jobs.
>>
>>1234748
>mods on /trv/ censor everything that doesn't conform to the view that the world is a happy peaceful multiculti place with equality of opportunity and plentiful jobs where people respect the rule of law and behave like decent human beings
>hurr this isn't facebook
Yeah it is, the only difference is that it's anonomoose here.
>>
Canada is becoming increasingly xenophobic but that is a natural reaction to (a mainly muslim) fifth column problem we have. You can only expect open racism/ignorance from your scummiest Kingston meth head (which are numerous in the western provinces and almost all small towns/cities) and aboriginals who you likely won't encounter. People here (especially in cities like Ottawa but not so much in Toronto) are very polite. Saying please and thank you, saying sorry when you inconvenience someone even slightly and putting effort into your manners goes A LONG WAY especially with white canadians. Respect is truly key here. People will help you if they notice you in trouble as long as you don't come off as a total ass. Even then people will still probably help you out and then talk shit amongst themselves. It's a non-confrontational society during the day, but alcohol is a staple of Canadian culture (especially in Ontario) so watch yourself when going out at night because alcohol is not a promise of violence but rather of unpredictability.

Toronto is full of immigrants so you won't feel out of place depending on where you live. But if you consider the cost of living in Toronto you will most certainly be living in an immigrant-heavy area at least for the first couple years. This isn't always a bad thing unless you end up in the notoriously shitty areas (Jane and Finch in Scarborough for example which has a problem with wannabe west indian gangsters who sometimes shoot at each other or some of the Somali ghettos) but it's really just something you should keep an eye out for. I can speak with confidence when I say that our worst areas here in Canada are likely not even close to as shitty as some of the areas you have in Brazil so I'm sure you've heard all this before
>>
>>1232064
>montreal
>cheap
Pick one
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.