[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/, Australian here. I've been considering flying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1481799271786.jpg (160KB, 828x686px) Image search: [Google]
1481799271786.jpg
160KB, 828x686px
Hey /trv/, Australian here. I've been considering flying to the US sometime next year and spending a few months there, travelling around, so I've got a few questions before I start laying down any real groundwork with the trip.

What's the go with cars? I know you HAVE to have insurance to drive there, but is it practical/cheap to get around in a car versus buses? Here in Australia it's pretty difficult to get to place to place because public transport generally isn't very good and there's no inter-connecting trains between major cities, and I know the States is very similar. If a car is more practical, does /trv/ have any recommendations on something easy to fix or reasonably reliable? A Ford Crown Victoria is my current choice but that's only a vague pick and I'll probably consult /o/ as well.

Is it difficult to find the sort of work backpackers do i.e. shitkicking jobs for cash in hand, farmwork, etc?

Any recommendations on a route? I'm currently thinking of a U shape from New York through Texas and up through California to Seattle, because I have a friend staying in Calgary around the same time I'd be going. A pit-stop in Florida (which is obviously a bit out of the way) would also be good, but I enjoy hiking and nature so any of the forests, national parks or greatest hits would be good choices too.

What's crossing the border into Canada like for a visa holder? Do I require a visa to enter and leave Canada? The USA and Australia have a visa waiver agreement that I'm eligible for but I'm unsure about leaving and re-entering the States.
>>
Better check your visa waiver. You can't be there for a few months.
>>
>>1231209
Visa waiver applies for three months but I was thinking maybe twice that length, if not four months at least.
>>
>>1231210
>I know how long I am allowed to stay but I'll stay longer anyway

Wut?
>>
>>1231283
if he goes to canada and then returns doesnt the 90 day period start again?
>>
>>1231286
No. That would be counted as one trip.
>>
>>1231283
You can apply for a normal visa and get a longer stay with that fampai. The waiver only works for three months or less.
>>
File: NationalParks.forwiki.pdf.jpg (102KB, 776x600px) Image search: [Google]
NationalParks.forwiki.pdf.jpg
102KB, 776x600px
Why not spend 3 months in the states and 1 month in canada?

Driving across the border is a bit like the initial questions when you first arrive, where are you going, how long are you here for etc. I don't think you need a visa for canada, and I think the 90 days is the total time spent in the US, not the time since you've first arrived. So you could spend the first 60 days in the states, then travel around canada, then re enter and spend another 30 days.

Consider going through utah if your keen on national parks
>>
>>1231548
Thanks for the map and tips anon, I had a look around and apparently you don't require a visa to enter Canada for a holiday if you're Australian, and it seems I can cross the border into Canada without a problem, so long as I have any documents and a passport. Getting back may be different but I'll continue my research.

Is it more practical to take tour buses into national parks, or could hitchhiking to and from them work as well?
>>
>>1231673
Also, is it possible to walk across the border?
>>
Another Ausfag, regarding the Visa waiver, I know about the ESTA but is there anything else I need to apply for or do to be eligible for the program other than having the right kind of passport? I've looked all over official websites and I can't find anything, so I assume it's fine, but I'm asking just for peace of mind.
>>
>>1231684
All I've seen is that you need the e-passport thing and be a citizen of the country you're applying from, which is obvious enough because you'd have a passport.
>>
>>1231673
you don't need a visa to enter canada, but you do need to fill out an ESTA if you fly into canada. I've driven across the border a couple of times as an australian, and it shouldn't be an issue if you know your dates/reason why your there, dunno just say your travelling after a wedding or something if your worried. Probably not the best to tell them if you don't have a job.

There is probably tour buses from bigger cities, but most parks are pretty big and off the main highways and you'd want to drive to them, just for the freedom of going where you want to.

>>1231684
Its just the ESTA, but expect to be questioned by border staff there about your trip
>>
>>1231689
>>1231685
Thank you, and I've got no problem with that, I've got a 15 hour layover in LAX
>reeeeeeee
>>
>>1231210
if you come to the US expecting to work illegally you won't be spending 5 minutes in the country. Don't you watch Border Security?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.