[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys I'm doing a road trip across the US and might have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: download (1).jpg (8KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
8KB, 300x168px
Hey guys I'm doing a road trip across the US and might have to go alone. Does it suck going cross country by yourself? Is there anything worth seeing by yourself or should you just drive straight from point A to B.

Also do you have any tips for doing it to save money? I was thinking of sleeping in my car.
>>
It can be pretty comfy to go by yourself. There's something special about having the open road all to yourself.

Anything worth seeing at all is worth seeing by yourself.

Plenty of places to camp. Sleeping in your car can be awful after a night or two.
>>
>>1230651
>Does it suck going cross country by yourself?
Depends how you plan it and how much time you set aside to visit each place.
>Is there anything worth seeing by yourself or should you just drive straight from point A to B.
Do you just enjoy sitting in your car? If so then yeah it's fun to do point A to B. Find some places you might be interested in, Route 66 drive is stupid overrated after you cross the Mississippi river till you get to like Albuquerque(bad city go to santa fe).
>>
File: boiled-crfawfish.jpg (182KB, 770x512px) Image search: [Google]
boiled-crfawfish.jpg
182KB, 770x512px
>>1230651
Depends on the area, in places like New orleans, or anywhere in Louisiana and surrounding areas, you'll never be alone, but in places like flyover states, you might be

Especially if you hit the South during football season, you can literally walk up to a tailgate and say you aren't from the US and people will shove food in your face

We had this guy from Russia walk up to our Rugby tailgate at LSU and said that he was curious how we partied, and we made him right at home, it's just southern hospitality.

My Grandpa is an old Cajun and he met some guy from Poland, and he invited him to a supper with all of his cajun buddies

But that's in Southern Louisiana where everyone is friendly as fuck, in other places it is not the same, just putting in my 10 cents

pic related, the best food in the world
>>
>>1230651
>Does it suck going cross country by yourself?

Mostly, yeah. It's not like you'll make travel buddies as you would in lots of other places. And most of the US is awfully boring to drive across, just farmland for days and days. If you're foreign and you're extroverted enough to make friends in a random country bar people might be interested in you though.

But if you're cool with being by yourself for days on end, driving for 10hrs straight daily, etc then sure it could be an interesting experience. For me personally there'd be lots of more interesting things to do though.
>>
I'm planning on road tripping the rockies from oregon next summer in my car.

For sleeping in my car I'm going to remove the passenger's seat and put a board down that goes into the trunk.

That way I have a flat place to lay on with an air mattress. No tent needed now. and it's easy to make
>>
>>1230692
This. I live in southern Mississippi and people here are incredibly nice to travellers and foreigners. (If you aren't white you /might/ get a cold shoulder here and there.) We love meeting people and talking. Just wander into any Waffle House below the Mason Dixon and you'll meet a dozen people willing to give you directions/talk to you for hours/invite you home to marry their daughters.
>>
File: 1490573726996.jpg (460KB, 1556x980px) Image search: [Google]
1490573726996.jpg
460KB, 1556x980px
>>1230842
lol, yeah, for around my area, as long as you look decent you are good, but thank god that we don't really have a lot of bad blacks and white trash down south, The cajuns are like friendly rednecks who know how to cook good

And its funny because there are different levels of the food down here, that's why to try the best food, you will have to find locals to let you try some, and I love when foreigners move over here and put their twist on our food

They had some Germans from outside Munich who came and put their special twist on crawfish, and it tasted really fucking good
and some Irish people moved next to us and they made there crawfish with a full container of cayenne, so the south gets a bad rep for being fat, but with food like ours, its hard not to be
>>
>>1230683
I didn't consider sleeping in the car sucking after a couple nights. I figured I could

grab a small mattress and throw it in the back if the car and sleep.

Do you know any cheap hotels? Are Best Western good and cheap?

>>1230687
No I don't just like sitting in a car haha. I just meant that some things are more fun as a group is all. Iv tried planning a trip. I want to sea the Badlands and Glacier National park. But I'm thinking of just driving through them because I don't have much money.

>>1230692
I'm driving to a southern state so I thought about going through the southern ones but the two places I wanted to check out are north. Do you know if any cool park or places to see that are in the southern states? Id love to drive through Louisiana and Mississippi. There's a lot to be said about southern hospitality.

>>1230701
What do you think would be interesting?I'm looking for ideas.

>>1230731
I'm driving a hatchback so I was just going to fix it in the back if the car. But the other anon to me it sucks after a while so I might start looking into cheaper places to stay.
>>
>>1230981

>I'm driving to a southern state so I thought about going through the southern ones but the two places I wanted to check out are north. Do you know if any cool park or places to see that are in the southern states? Id love to drive through Louisiana and Mississippi. There's a lot to be said about southern hospitality.

No idea what your route overall looks like, but Knoxville (home of University of Tennessee football) is in the middle of a mountainous region that's gorgeous for hiking. If you went to a home game Saturday during September-November, that would be a really enjoyable experience like the other poster was describing with being a foreigner at a tailgate.

A few alternatives for southern college football near something else interesting:

Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana is close to New Orleans

University of Texas in Austin, Texas

Clemson University in Clemson, South Carolina has a gorgeous lake and is the current national champion team.
>>
>>1230981
It depends on what you want to do. The south has lots of beautiful scenery, but it's a bit short on major tourist attractions. New Orleans is always worth a visit if you make it that far south.
>>
File: 81Ry87RaDuL._SL1500_.jpg (138KB, 1500x1151px) Image search: [Google]
81Ry87RaDuL._SL1500_.jpg
138KB, 1500x1151px
I met a guy recently traveling by car who just set up pic related at the end of the day.
I was in an RV but he was going to all the cool places I was and saving a fortune on gas.
>>
>>1231170
Dang that's cool.

>>1230981
So I like road tripping the states, here's my two cents
If you need a place to sleep and are chill with sleeping in your car, walmarts country wide will let you park in the corner of their parking lots. I've seen half a dozen rvs in one.
If you are trying to save money, the national parks are not the place to do it, so long as you don't pay for anything other than entry fees and maybe camping, frequently there are state or national forest campgrounds nearby that are cheaper if a little less maintained.
If you do badlands and glacier you are already in the neighborhoods of Yellowstone and the black hills, which have devils tower and the Mount Rushmore and crazy horse monuments. Also the terrain is just awesome. I really need to get back there, towers of craggy stone in pine forests, many easy to climb and get a great view from.

Really though, where are you starting from and ending up at?
>>
>>1230981
>What do you think would be interesting?I'm looking for ideas.

Being American I don't find travel to the US all that interesting, but if you're set on it, I'd suggest seeing NYC, San Francisco, and some of the national parks.

And then maybe cutting it short and going somewhere truly interesting like Colombia or Mexico.
>>
>>1231177
Starting in Portland and ending in DC.

How much does it generally cost to drive through and maybe stay a night in a national park? Do you know of any state parks worth seeing? Also do you think if I'm going through the northern states I would need chains for my tires this late into the year?

Do Walmart parking lots allow you to set up a tent for the night if I wanted to get out of the car?
>>
>>1230988
I second this, obviously I'm biased towards LSU having the best football games, but it's pretty much every major university
>>
>>1231205
I don't think they let you do tents, haven't ever checked that actually. Personally only slept in a Walmart lot once in a car.
Probably don't need chains if you stick to the interstate, that said the northern plains can get snow storms out into may. I went to sleep in mammoth Yellowstone and woke up with two inches on my tent in the second week of May some years back.
Your thoughts on doing glacier and badlands are good, as I said before Yellowstone and the black hills areas are near your quickest route. I don't think there's actually much of anything in terms of national parks out east on your route, plenty of small parks and forests. Do see the national history museum and the air and space museum in DC.
OH, park entry fees can vary by a surprising amount. If you are doing four or more parks it's usually worth it to get a year long parks pass for eighty bucks, gives you unlimited access to national parks and most state parks, can sometimes mix parking fees at some state parks if you leave the card in your front window.
Camping at national parks is usually 15-25 a night depending on how popular it is. Some state parks out east are more like 35$ and up a night. Like I said, use google maps to look for national forest campgrounds, almost always cheaper. Ask locals, there are a lot of campgrounds that simply are not codified for the map apps to find yet.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.