[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello. Me and four friends go to Budapest, Hungary for four days

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

Hello. Me and four friends go to Budapest, Hungary for four days in April. We have already booked accomodation but haven't really planned where to go. Any suggestions on what we have to see?
>>
File: 5cc914cs-480[1].jpg (116KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
5cc914cs-480[1].jpg
116KB, 480x720px
>>1229945
Parlament building (take an excursion in it), Buda castle with Fisherman's bastion and nice neogothic curch, Danube embankments in the center of the city, Varosliget park with hot baths, etc. Very cute and cozy city tho. What exactly are you interested in? I really liked small metro museum at Deak Ferenc ter, late-XIXc buildings in quarters along Andrassy ut, 1956 memorial.
>>
>>1229945
Overrated city:the shithole
Rudest people in Europe edition
>>
>>1229959
Thank you for the answer.
We are interested in anything you can only find there, so basically everything. But we don't want to feel like we missed something very cool instantly after the trip.
We are Austrians so problably also something from WW1 and before.
>>
>>1229972
What happened to you there? I am interested :D
>>
>>1229945
Budapest was one of the best and most educational trips i went on.

The city is also super cheap, and since you are Austrian, you will find cheap as well.

Go dine at Sir Lancelot restaurant. It is a medieval themed restaurant which focuses on meat and game.
The idea is that you walk in, sit on a thick wooden table and order a MASSIVE pile of meat. I remember we got the 3 person platter (it was named THE KING'S FEAST or something) and it was a massive pile of duck, goose, game, pork, beef, chicken, deer, you name it.
The place encourage you to eat with your hands and its super cool. Also while you are eating to medieval knights in armour may come next to your table and start duelling

Also, go to the Terror Haza to see the horrors of the Nazi and Communist regimes.
>>
>>1230104
two* medieval knights
fml
>>
>>1229945
when will you be here? on 22-23 april there will be an event held in the city called Budapest100, when hundreds of apartment buildings on the two sides of the Danube will open their doors to the public so that people can walk in and learn about the history of the river, the apartments, their architects and the areas they're situated in

anyways, I'd recommend visiting Margaret island (there's a couple of ruins, a japanese garden, a nice art nouveau water tower and a free petting zoo there), the Roman amphitheatre in Nagyszombati utca, the ruin garden of Aquincum, the Buda Castle district, the Great Market Hall, Városliget (City Park), one of the baths (the best are Széchenyi, Király, Gellért and Rudas), the Budapest History Museum in the Royal Palace, taking a walk alongside Andrássy avenue, partying in the Jewish District, and eating a nice oily lángos (my favourite is found near Árpád bridge, in the Flórián tér underground passageway, it's called Krumplis lángos - you can also find there the free to visit Thermae Maiores there)
>>
If you're from Austria, you're going to find it similar to home, but more messy and a little bit Soviet.

Like Kiraly bath is something you wouldn't see in Austria, also Ottoman stuff... Though Gul baba turbe is still closed for renovation.

I guess the food may be moderately different, too...? Like tad bit more Turkish influence and Slavic stuff than in Austria? Idk you'll see what I mean
>>
File: im out.gif (613KB, 295x221px) Image search: [Google]
im out.gif
613KB, 295x221px
>>1230104
>horrors of the nazi regime
>>
>>1230142
Thanks for the advice we're there from the 9th to the 12th april.
>>
>>1230185
do you have escape rooms there in vienna? if not, maybe you could check out one in budapest, we have literally hundreds of them, they're loads of fun in groups

http://welovebudapest.com/culture/5.places.to.try.budapest.s.famous.room.escape.games
>>
>>1230104
Thank you. All in our group are interested in medieval, I didn't even mention that above. This seems like a golden tip :)
>>
>>1230189
We are from Carinthia. We have one in our City but we may try one there. Is this possible without speaking Hungarian?
>>
>>1229972
t. Felvidék
>>
File: 7e0234cs-960[1].jpg (286KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
7e0234cs-960[1].jpg
286KB, 960x640px
>>1230064
Budapest is probably the best east european city except St. Petersburg. Don't listen to haters.

>something from WW1 and before.
Not in Budapest but in town of Seged I saw this. An arch that painted about hugarinan heroes and casualties in WWI. Very expressive paintings in somehow strange style. I was really wonder.

In Budapest in front of the parlament building are guards in Austria-Hungary uniform of WWI era, but do not know exactly how often they are there.
>>
>>1230375
It could be difficult, really. Out of touristic center of Budapest people mostly cannot speak English or any other language except Hungarian. I was shocked because sometimes it had been easier for me to have a conversation with locals in Russian rather than English. Legacy of Soviet influence. But German has some prevalence and for you as Aurstian it will be a little bit easier.
>>
>>1230384
Ok than we won't try the escape room.
This sounds like we will even have problems with general conversations there. Reminds me of my last holiday in Poland.
>>
>>1230389
Yes, there is a similar situation with locals' skills in English in Hungary as it is in Poland. I think i's the same in whole East Europe. However, don't be afraid, just after my East Europe trip I released of language barrier fear. You can always explain yourself somehow.
>>
>>1230389
don't listen to that guy, the majority of escape rooms are targeted mainly at foreigners, the guys running them speak perfectly good English and all of the games are bilingual - with German as your mother tongue and English as your second language, you won't have any problems, trust me

oh, and if you're into Medieval stuff, then the nearby castle of Visegrád might be of interest to you, check it out on google and see if it's worth a couple of hours of your time
>>
>>1230394
I did not read upper and told about language situation in Hungary at all, not about escape rooms only, don't get me wrong.
>>
>>1230396
the language situation isn't bad either: expats have been living in Hungary in large numbers since the early 90s, Budapest is full of tourists, foreign students and Hungarians who've returned from a couple of years of working abroad, not to mention the younger generations (those born in and after the 80s), most of whom studied English for most of their student lives and speak the language at least on a basic level
>>
>>1230399
I just speak about my experience. I lived at outskirts of Budapest and for example staff of the nearest to my hostel pizza canteen had not speak English at all. At the border, at gas station where I was byuing a vignette I had conversations in Russian not in English. Also I notice Hungarians are respected if you try to speak Hungarian (I sudy that language and can speak a little). Of cause, youger generation speaks English more frequently that older one.
>>
I'm sure the travel hipsters will shout this down as being too commercial and touristy now, but check out the ruin bars, they're still pretty fucking cool.

Also, a day trip to Visegrad, especially if the weather is nice. We went on a foggy rainy day and it was still pretty cool, but the view and the hike to the fort on the hill would have been nicer if it wasn't muddy as fuck.
>>
>>1230406
yeah, ruin bars are cool
btw, the largest indoors party venue of the region opened its doors two weeks ago in Budapest in a huge ruinous apartment building in Akácfa utca with the merge of Instant and Fogas ház, two of the most popular ruin bars of the city

Szimpla kert is also worth checking out, but the whole Jewish District is teeming with life at night, really
>>
>>1230381
Added this to the list. Thank you :)
>>
>>1230417
>>1230406

Ok we will check out a ruin bar. Already saw a menu with cocktails for a good price.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.