[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of trying to get a job in Singapore after uni.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0298.jpg (182KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0298.jpg
182KB, 1280x720px
I'm thinking of trying to get a job in Singapore after uni. Has anyone lived there before? How is it?
>>
>>1229292
Tiny. Almost claustrophobic. But going to other places in Asia from SG is piss easy so it's okay. Also no drugs.
>>
>>1229292
Great place to live, and a decent place to work. Hours will probably be tough, but such is the case for people who work real jobs in major international cities. Taxes are low, and there's a decent expat community.

If you work in the CBD, which is likely, you and the rest of the ang moh will head over to Clarke Quay or Boat Quay many times after work for some drinks.

If you get the opportunity to work there, I'd at least give it a shot for a year or two. If you end up not liking it, just head back home/elsewhere.
>>
it's sweaty-balls hot year around, but buildings and public transit is well equipped to deal with the heat.

some credence must be given to the god-tier food scene, the restaurants and hawker centers alone makes me want to live there. In my opinion the chili crab alone is enough of a reason for me fly 15+ hours to get.

The government and culture has it's quirks, it grates a lot of people the wrong way (and for good reason). As a general rule to life never move to a city to live there if you've never visited it before.
>>
>>1229316
>>1229324
>>1229382
Where did you guys come across the opportunity to work there? Is there some website to apply for jobs internationally?
>>
>>1229399
Haven't worked, but went to school and know plenty that work there (obviously locals, but some Europeans and Canadians as well).

Most internationals had 1-2 years work experience in their home country, then applied for jobs (often in similar roles or one step up the ladder) as you normally would. To get a work visa, non-internship level experience is valued highly, so once you get a year or so in you can "easily" move to Singapore.

If you want to go right out of school, you better start networking or have graduated top of your class at a top university because randomly applying with no full-time experience and no citizenship/PR status will get you usually rejected immediately.
>>
>>1229292
Never worked there long-term, but had a few short-term assignments there (totalling a little over six months altogether), and visited many times for meetings/conferences/etc.

It's nice, basically. Excellent public transit, more or less completely safe, very clean. It has none of the strange/intense street culture you get in the rest of Southeast Asia--there's no grit, no chaos, negligible hedonism (there is a small and regulated quasi-legal prostitution industry, and there is a little bit of sanitary and very expensive nightlife, but it is definitely not the kind of country that attracts degenerates) and very little weirdness. It feels like a first-world developed country (which it is) that happens incidentally to be an ethic-Chinese majority island in tropical Asia.

As noted above, the food is great, although apart from hawker centers (sanitized replacements for the night markets you would find elsewhere in the region), eating out is mostly quite expensive. Drinking even more so. Housing is also likely to strike you as very steep unless you're currently renting in central London or Manhattan or San Francisco, in which case it will seem about the same (I found the cost of living, as a San Franciscan, about the same for most categories; more expensive for restaurants and booze; rent was at least as high but the corresponding spaces often larger and more newly constructed--that is to say, you'll spend at least a couple of thousand of whatever your currency is every month if you expect to live alone).

Cheap housing options--rented rooms in boarding houses, etc.--must exist, but if you don't speak Hakka or Tamil, you probably won't find them.

There's a large global expat community, largely workaholics. Locals virtually all speak a melodious English fluently, although there may be some thick accents among working-class locals or recent migrants.

The laws are famously strict and taken seriously--don't litter or try to smoke where you're not allowed.
>>
What sort of jobs can get you a visa? I'm sure applying for a job is all well and good, but even if they offer it to you, you'd still need one, right? I'm looking at getting work in Singapore Zoo and emailed asking how likely it would be to hire a foreign worker but they just sent me a cookie cutter response about how I can apply online and they respond within 2-3 weeks
>>
>>1229464
Dude just google something like "Singapore work visa" and you can see the various types and their requirements.
>>
>>1229292
Hot. Humid.
I was there in December and felt like I was going to pass out walking between buildings, shouldn't be too much of an issue though because I thing Singapore has the best public transportation of any place I have ever been.

It's relatively expensive, people told me that SEA was dirt cheap, I found Thailand, and Cambodia to be cheapER but still not exactly cheap as many here suggested. Singapore stuff cost about the same.

Other than the weather, I love everything about the city and the culture, if I had any desirable skills, and knew where to find a job I'd move in a heartbeat.
>>
>>1229543
I've looked into it since, it seems that I'm a slice below getting an S Pass, though that would depend on what sort of salary I can get
>>
>>1229399
Never worked there either (I'm >>1229316) but my parents did and I saw fucking everything in the place.
>>
Cool. I'm a teacher working in international school in Paris. Would be cool to go somewhere very modern.
>>
>>1229580
Paris not modern enough for you?

What do you teach?
>>
>>1229581
It seems to have reverted to more of the city you'd expect in the 1790s
>>
>>1229581
>Paris
>Modern

if modern means

>smells like shit
>niggers everywhere
>expensive yet shit infrastructure and people

Then yeah.
>>
>>1229620
>>smells like shit
>>niggers everywhere
>>expensive yet shit infrastructure and people
that's Singapore
>>
>>1229623
I can't talk about Singapore as I've not been there, but France is a disgusting shithole.

If you want a decent place go to :

the richer parts of Austria
Switzerland
Japan or South Korea
Southern Germany
>>
>>1229636
I'm well aware of how fantastic Austria is, and I'd love to go. The only problems are the language barrier and the fact that we had the bright idea to leave the EU, so I won't have the right to live and work there for much longer
>>
OP, you should try to do an exchange program in Singapore, or go for master there, or finish your undergraduate there. That way you have the opportunity to network. That's your best chance without work experience.
>>
>>1229581
History.
>>1229623
>>1229620
>>1229607
Have you actually ever been to Paris?

It always amuses me how ignorant posters on /trv/ can be about Paris. There's nothing wrong with it. People who think it's a shithole must be tourists who came for the weekend, hung around gar du nord and visited the tourist sites. I don't know how else you could possibly brush an incredibly diverse city (with many wonderful, chic white (if that's your thing) districts with such broad brushstrokes.

I hope these posters are all from /pol/ because you would have to be a seriously shitty traveller to just judge Paris like that.

I've lived here for three years and I genuinely think it's one of my favourite cities in the world. When I said I wanted something more modern I meant a city that felt new.

P.s. The posts about the dog poo in the street are correct. That is genuinely a problem.
>>
>>1229728
>The only problems are the language barrier

Bro, you're a native English speaker aren't you?
If I was capable of learning German as a Brazilian surely you can too.

Also, it's not like you can't get by with English by itself. Unless you want to work there...

>I won't have to right to work there

I'm pretty sure you'll still have plenty of options, such as going for a Master's through student visa or something of that sort, which would allow you to remain there and look for employment.
>>
>>1229757
I have only negative memories of Paris. That might be a bias, but I can't remember liking any part of it when I was last there
>>
>>1229761

Maybe it's a city you have to live in to enjoy. I've lived in a bunch of places in the UK: York
Bristol, Exeter, London, as well as Budapest for six months. Call me crazy but Paris is my favourite city that I've lived in.
>>
>>1229763
Tbf, I can't recommend any UK cities over Paris anyway
>>
>>1229757
>incredibly diverse city

You say that as if it were a good thing.
Enjoy your niggers on subways and burned police cars.
>>
>>1229773
Fair enough. What would you recommend?
>>
>>1229620
Les oogas, et les boogas.
>>
>>1229778
I'd say Vienna, but that's a bit obvious. Maybe some of the less gentrified cities in Italy, like Lucca. Not been to Germany so I can't speak for that. I'm sure some other frenchncities are nice too, but I haven't really been to France in terms of cities, mainly countryside
>>
>>1229793
>Vienna, but that's a bit obvious.

I'm not sure that's obvious. I've only visited Vienna a couple times and just for a few days each time but I think I'd find Vienna very boring to live in. Similarly, in Italy, I've really enjoyed Rome and Naples more than Florence, Pisa and Sienna.

Anyway. We clearly have different tastes.
>>
>>1229757
We want to say pol but Paris has a proper problem with a growing religion there. Paris of 20 years ago shits all over the Paris of today by a country mile and won't even waste a minute there anymore when I'm in europe.

But that's easily fixed by ignoring the trash filled streets of Paris and heading a few hours of town, plenty of the lovely places France still offers.
>>
>>1230832
I've had the pleasure of visiting pretty much all of France. and I've been able to visit (thanks to my job and lots of holidays) a lot of European cities and really, so much of Paris is as clean as any city. The 16th, 8, 1st, 4th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 6th, 5th, are all fine. The 5th is particularly nice except for a couple touristy shithole streets full of international pubs and annoyuing tourists.

Avoid the touristy parts (like you would in any city) as well as the 18th, 19th and 10th arrondissements and Paris is nice.

London is dirty as fuck in much of the city (especially south of the river and in the east) but no-one talks about it. Saying Paris is a dirty shithole full of angry muslims is literally a meme spouted by people who visited once, spent too much time in the 10th arrondissement and then got butthurt that Paris waasn't like the film "midnight in Paris". Paris is a huge city. If you say you wouldn't spend a minute there makes you sound like a massive idiot.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.