[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk computing devices. What do you bring with you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: loptap.jpg (360KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
loptap.jpg
360KB, 1280x960px
Let's talk computing devices. What do you bring with you when you travel? Phone, tablet, laptop, or some combination? Why? What are some good features for a traveler?
>>
Phone and my trusty Samsung Notebook 7 (one of those tablet-plus-keyboard "laptops"). I used to have another laptop, but it was clunky.

This one is smaller but just as useful when I'm working on the road.
>>
>>1228507
I have taken many trips that were tacked onto the tail ends of business trips. In these cases I've had pretty much everything (laptop, smartphone, tablet, also sometimes even a DSLR and an extra lens--I'm not a super-serious photographer but I'm a hobbyist). It's a lot to lug around, and for most people in most cases, it'd be total overkill.

The only reason I would bring a laptop would be if I were planning to do some work, or maaaaybe photo editing with the DSLR (on very quick trips, or trips to less photogenic destinations I won't even bring the camera, and will make do with phone snapshots). I always bring the phone, which is fine for 99% of my online communications/data needs (I also use it to... wait for it... make phone calls), and is probably all the electronics most people need. But I do almost always also bring my tablet, which I like better than the phone for e-books or videos, despite some redundancy. And for some reason, I've noticed that my phone (an Android device) and iPad each sometimes work better with various WiFi networks. So I won't be able to do anything online with my phone in some hotel lobby, but the iPad will work, or vice versa.
>>
On my last trip, the only electronics I brought were my smartphone and a camera.

The camera sucked ass and actually took worse photos than my phone.

On my next trip, I plan on bringing a better camera. Dare I say it, a Sony A6000/A6300? I realize that this camera has become a meme with travelers & people new to photography, but I can't find anything wrong with it.
>>
>>1228529
Just to add, any computer-like activities were done through my smartphone.

It did the job, but some of it would've been easier with a real computer. That said, it worked for me, so I don't think I will need a laptop anytime soon.
>>
>>1228529
I have a A6000 and it takes GOAT photos with a little editing in lightroom.
>>
On a 13 month trip: iPhone 6s+, 10" iPad, DSC-RX100 M3.

This was really the perfect combo. I could watch movies, read, plan, etc on the iPad but it's pretty hardy and easy to pack. Also it's backed up every night it's on WiFi so not a big deal if it gets stolen - travel insurance covers the replacement and I lose no data.

Now that I left for a couple months and have to be productive on the road I have my big 15" macbook pro but it's such a liability and a distraction. I end up dicking around on sites like this a whole lot more than I should.

For phones - I can't recommend an iPhone 6s or above highly enough, mostly because of the camera. Live Photos are amazing for capturing the context of the scenes that you see, and Google's new app can piece them together into a cool overview video with little scenes of all of the cool stuff you saw.

I'd recommend bringing a DSC-RX100 as well, it takes up no space and doesn't look expensive, but it takes amazing photos for when it really matters. I take that out when I'm at a particularly scenic point and the pictures are comparable to a DSLR but without the hassle/exposure of carrying one of those around.
>>
>>1228532
Shit, now I'm really looking forward to buying one.

Hell, I might even splurge a little and get the A6300.
>>
>>1228780
Not worth it you should spend as money as you can on the lens and then learn the techniques. It's really simple if you take a bit of time to learn basic photography rules and you will take better photos than 99% of the people out there.
>>
I take my 13 inch laptop only if I need it. If not, just my smartphone.
>>
iPad Pro 12.9 inch w/ keyboard and my iPhone.
>>
It really depends on the length and distance of the trip for me. I do a lot of day/overnight trips into Phoenix and LA (from Vegas) for business and pleasure. In that case, I generally don't even pack a bag and will just pocket my cellphone and MAYBE my 3DS. I enjoy being as minimalist as possible there.

On a longer trip, if it's for work, I'll bring my laptop, but work or not, I always bring my iPad, iPhone, and 3DS (now Switch).

Internationally/one week or more, I bring all. I'm a little addicted to my computer and feel uncomfortable if I'm away from it with just my iPad for too long.

I carry a little squid thing that charges a backup battery and my phone as long as I have a USB port, then they can charge each other. Most important things in my arsenal.
>>
>>1228507
I only take an airbook or something with a full keyboard if I must on a trip. It can become a hassle for safety reasons, to either lug around, park in a safe or worry about.

I never travel without my 7" hdx kindle though. The smartphone could be good enough, but I like the long battery life of a tablet too, like reading in bed and planning the next day's activities while the phone charges up.
>>
>>1228507

Depends on how long I'll be traveling for and whether I'm in a relationship.

I had a break-up back in August, so I'm not as obligated to have a smartphone any more. Having said that, I'll still probably bring one along on my two week trip to Ecuador while leaving my laptop behind.

I have another trip over the summer planned that'll be longer. Since I'm a student and freelance writer, I'll need to take my laptop so I can earn a bit and keep on top of my online classes.

Hitchhiked across Europe in 2014 without either a laptop or smartphone. Was a golden fucking time, to be honest.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.