[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Want to travel >Too scared to go by myself and no friends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: killme.jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
killme.jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
>Want to travel
>Too scared to go by myself and no friends to travel with

Anybody know this feel?
>>
no

I'm not a loser
>>
>>1224975
No because I like many other people on this board realize you have to be 18 or older to post here.
>>
>>1224975
you need to do it. especially if you're scared of it
>>
>>1224975
I know this feel. I know it all too well.

How old are you, OP? I was once in your shoes, and as a result, I didn't start traveling until I was 27 years old.

I first became interested in travel when I was around 19 years old.

I missed out on eight whole years of traveling because I didn't grow a pair.

The best advice I can give you is to just go for it. That feeling of uneasiness won't ever go away (I was nervous as fuck when I planned my first trip, and I still feel occasional surges when I'm planning future trips). You just gotta go with it, man. It's not something that can be shaken off easily. But once you manage, you will have a blast.

Don't make the same mistakes I did.
>>
>>1224986
im 30 and never traveled in my life. I guess you could say I was kinda sheltered growing up.
>>
>>1224975
i was the same until i did 2 weeks solo, it's really liberating
you never have to wait up for anyone, never have to worry about how anyone else feels about doing something
>>
>>1224992
where did you go
>>
>>1224989
If you are OP, it's never too late to travel.

The worst thing about it is that you will have that lingering thought floating around in your head, that you could've started when you were much younger, but you can still grab hold of your future.

Just go it alone. Traveling alone is actually not that hard, except for that one psychological hurdle. The gut feeling you get may be a result of you thinking it's too difficult to do alone, but it really isn't. Many people travel to foreign countries alone, often in places where they don't necessarily speak the same languages.
>>
>>1224975
Wtf OP why don't you just invite me to come with you, all expenses paid?
>>
>>1225001
Pay for your own shit nigger
>>
>>1225001
If he paid for other people, then his friends would suddenly be on board with traveling.

Also, OP is already in a nerve-wracking situation. If he were paying for other people's travels, he would feel a much greater sense of responsibility.

Congratulations, you somehow found a way to worsen his problems.
>>
For real op do a small weekend trip by yourself to a local city or your state capital(if american). Do a small step.

I unironically hate travelling with people after realizing how much fun it is to travel alone and meet locals and such. That doesn't mean I won't hang out with friends at places I am going, just that planning on traveling with others is something I prefer not to do
>>
>>1225008
>planning on traveling with others is something I prefer not to do
It's actually more stifling. Typically speaking, you're traveling to be more adventurous, not less.

My next words, you may have already seen in other threads (because this is a slow board, and I will outright admit I've repeated myself). I would actually prefer to travel alone than in groups. I can't go with my family because they are picky eaters. I can't go with friends because they just want to do the same thing that they already do. I also don't like traveling in groups because my pace may not necessarily match those of others. Other people may be in a rush to see everything, while you want a little more time to take in all the sights. Or maybe they're too slow, and you gotta wait for them to finish before you move on to the next thing.

Solo travel is generally more efficient.
>>
File: 1473080942314.jpg (72KB, 436x348px) Image search: [Google]
1473080942314.jpg
72KB, 436x348px
>>1225010
Yeah same, I've probably repeated my self a few times given how frequently this topic comes up on this board. I've met up or traveled with friends, nearly every single time they will either not want to go out till night, eat at a chain, or get pissed at some mundane thing that's not a big deal but everyone wants to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I'll generally make a schedule share it with everyone I am going to meet or room with, as a "here is what we are doing if we get there and you don't have any idea what to do".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-social in the least bit, I just hate going on a trip or vacation and having people drag their feet.

>Go on a trip to boston with some friends a few years back
>they just sit and play video games nearly the whole time
>"wow this place is boring there is nothing to do"
>>
>>1224975
same here OP. mid 20s.

>>1225010
>>Solo travel is generally more efficient.
I see it as a safety thing. with just 1 other person you know, that alleviates the worries a lot. tourists who are on their own can make easy targets I imagine. even if you inform your family and friends of where you are going you can easily end up missing and no one will even find your body.

and I'm not even talking or thinking of going anywhere outright dangerous, as a male.
>>
>>1225059
>and I'm not even talking or thinking of going anywhere outright dangerous, as a male.

yes you are. You're not gonna disappear, get kidnapped or something unless you travel to extremely dangerous countries (think Middle East, Somalia, Venezuela etc.)
>>
>>1224975
Nope, it is scarier to go with somebody.
>>
>>1224980
this

honestly I think everyone should travel alone sometime for at least a month. I thought I was pretty independent when I set out but I quickly realised how untrue that was.
>>
Is not being able to drive a big setback?
I'm a stereotypical sperg tall skeleton and the only thing that motivate me are lone hobby.

I kind of want to travel alone at least once, but I don't have a licence.
>>
>>1225102
Get a license already you baby

And no, it's not. Not by a long shot. There are fine bus systems and expansive rail networks on every continent. Along with Uber, taxis, rideshare, and good old fashioned hitchhiking you can pretty much always get where you're going.
>>
>>1225102
Learn how to drive motherfucker. Stop living in fear, as life is too short my friend.
>>
>>1225059
I'm sorry but you need to grow up a bit.

>I see it as a safety thing. with just 1 other person you know, that alleviates the worries a lot.

It's not really, if someone wants to fool you or get you they will get you. This is more of a mental thing for you than anything. Also, don't go to shit holes that could be a safety issue. If you are, make damn well sure to know exactly everywhere you are going.

>tourists who are on their own can make easy targets I imagine.

This is just you guessing from shit you've heard rather than expirence. A group of uninformed or unprepared tourists are just as much of a taget as a single person. Be informed where you are going and what you are doing, get familar with streets and places you are going before you go there, don't wander too far off the path, and if you get lost DON'T LOOK LOST! Keep your cool keep looking forward and look like you know exactly where you are going.

>even if you inform your family and friends of where you are going you can easily end up missing and no one will even find your body.
Even if you go with a group and you suddenly dissappear it will most likely be that their trip will end and they will have to leave before your "body" shows up. This is really a moot point.

>and I'm not even talking or thinking of going anywhere outright dangerous, as a male.

Stop believing everything your mother tells you. Do aductions happen in some places? Yes, are they as common as a TAKEN sequel? No. If you haven't done any research on where you are going or know the basics of safety by 20 then you have a lot more issues than traveling.
>>
>>1225127
It's not fear, just disinterest.

>>1225120
I see, thanks. I will try something this summer
>>
>>1224975
If you're not retarded nor a woman, why would going to another country alone worry you?
You know that people are prone to making worse decisions with other people rather than alone right?
>>
>>1225267
It's largely a psychological fear.

Traveling introduces many unfamiliar concepts that some may see as overwhelming. The only way to get over such fears is by going ahead and trying it out, but the willingness of the person is always different.

There are people who actively refuse to eat certain vegetables. I think it's slightly more reasonable for people to be at least a little nervous about traveling.
>>
>>1225271
>Traveling introduces many unfamiliar concepts that some may see as overwhelming. The only way to get over such fears is by going ahead and trying it out, but the willingness of the person is always different.

Not him but traveling alone is something you just do once when you grow up. It's also something that is mostly optional, especially if you are going to another country. You go to places near you alone all the time(or at least I hope you do), that is probably as dangerous as places you would visit or go to. If you are planning on going to another country you should also, focus on PLANNING it.

If you are going to somewhere like for example Japan, it's fairly easy to plan out where to go an not to go with some proper research on /trv/, other websites, and travel agencies as a last resort. If you don't have enough self confidence to do proper research and go somewhere without hand holding, you will just be a burden on the people you are going with.

The threads on this topic are always almost one of these:

>I want to go to X but being alone!
Traveling is optional, if you can't find someone to go with suck it up or go in a tour group.
>I don't think it's safe to go to X by myself!
Then your probably shouldn't go to X anyways, having a buddy is a good idea but two clueless tourists is just as bad as one clueless.
>Airports are scary! How do I use them?!?
Even kids know to ask airport staff where to go and how to read signs. Hell most airports will sometimes drive you to the gate if it is slow and the airport is large enough.
>>
>>1225102
Assuming you're a Burger like most of the site, it's far more of a setback in your own country than almost anywhere else in the world.
>>
>>1225127
I get that. I was the same way, but getting your license is so liberating.
>>
>>1226283
Fuck. I meant this for >>1225169. My bad.
>>
I have several trips lined up this summer. I love travelling, and although I'm blessed with friends to share my adventures with I'm able to do it without them.
>>
>>1224975
Look into travel groups. Choose your destination and the travel agency carefully so they suit our needs.
>>
>people who can't travel alone

Seriously you all are annoying, you want a babysitter while on vacation. You don't realize it but you are essentially making others do that for you.
>>
Come to Athens with me in late April, anon. If you're hot we can bang.
>>
>>1224975
>want to travel
>too scared of driving in cars and flying on planes
>>
>>1226308
Take a train, or a bus. Take a boat even. Otherwise get over your fear of efficient travel, or get over your desire to travel. If you don't do any of these you'll never see much of the world.
>>
>>1224975
Have you considered visiting countries that are not inhabited by bloodthirsty savages? That might easy your fears.
>>
>>1226320
For example?
>>
>>1226294
>you want a babysitter while on vacation.
how does wanting some familiar and trustworthy companionship = wanting babysitting? jesus christ OP just wants a friend, not someone bossing him around during the travel.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.