[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you seen any tourist attractions that don't exist anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11

File: ATK_5523.jpg (544KB, 1350x720px) Image search: [Google]
ATK_5523.jpg
544KB, 1350x720px
Have you seen any tourist attractions that don't exist anymore?

Glad I got to see The Azure Window in Malta before it crumbled.
>>
>>1222859
Fuck, I wanna go to Malta. Is there anything to do there besides look at rocks?
>>
>>1222859
I've been to Serbia and Montenegro (and Kosovo)
>>
I was there two month ago, luckily still got to see it
>>1222877
tons of things if you go in summer (great hikes, biking, water sports, some of the best diving/ snorkeling in Europe, nice beaches and decent party). Also some interesting history if you are into that. Oh and Valletta is often called the most beautiful capital of Europe for a reason
>>
Fugg. I was in Malta last year but didn't see it. Too late now.
>>
I was in DPRK when Kim Jong Il was still in charge.
>>
>>1222859
inb4 the twin towers

sadly, I can't claim that but my father can

(not from the US)
>>
Yeah, Ukrainian Crimea.

I really wish I went to Syria a few years ago.
>>
>>1222905
>Twin towers
Came here to say it
>>
>>1222859
Are there any pictures of it after the collapse? I can't find anything
>>
Europeans
>>
>>1222859
I live a 10 minute drive from Azure window. Ask me anything.

>>1222953
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20170309/local/international-initiative-following-collapse-of-azure-window-muscat.641914

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20170309/local/watch-is-this-the-last-video-ever-shot-of-the-azure-window.641869
>>
File: aruba-natural-bridge-collapsed.jpg (141KB, 1000x400px) Image search: [Google]
aruba-natural-bridge-collapsed.jpg
141KB, 1000x400px
The Natural Bridge in Aruba. The twin towers, too.. I suppose.
>>
I'm from Malta and I have never seen the Azure window in person, and I guess I never will..
>>
I saw glaciers, also did skiing on some of them.

Oh wait, they have not fully melted yet, we are still in the process of melting them all.
>>
>>1223086
Envirocuck pls go. Global warming is a myth
>>
>>1222859
I went to Paris and Marseilles before they were shitholes and Cuba before it was American-free.
>>
The Awakening, in its original location on the Potomac river.
>>
>>1223124
*when it was American free
>>
>>1223124
>Cuba before it was American-free.
Before the 1959 revolution, you mean?
I knew /trv/ trended older than some other parts of 4chan, but I had no idea.

Or does "American-free" not mean "free from Americans"?
>>
>>1223132
fuck off you cheeky cunt, you knew what I meant
>>
File: black widow.jpg (61KB, 1000x711px) Image search: [Google]
black widow.jpg
61KB, 1000x711px
>>1222859
I saw what was a very famous black sand beach that was filmed in the movie Black Widow in Hawaii. It was overtaken by some 80 feet of lava soon after I visited, so not there anymore.

https://wanderwisdom.com/travel-destinations/Hidden-Hawaii-Spectacular-New-Kaimu-Black-Sand-Beach-in-Kalapana-on-the-Big-Island

Good before and after pics here:
http://www.hawaiicon.com/blog/big-island-kalapana-and-kaimu-beaches
>>
>>1222905
>inb4 the twin towers
I saw them. At the time I did, it was after the nutjob who tried that attempt in 93 with the parking garage device, so there was a thorough radar walkthrough and patdown to go to the top. I remember something like only 50 capacity at the time, so it felt spacious and uncrowded, almost felt like you were alone. It had a glass view all sides, and there were model pictures below each pane of glass that identified every building in the vista, so if you spotted something interesting, you could look down at the depiction and know what you were looking at. It was really nice, and far better than Empire State Building. The outside deck was nice especially in great weather.
>>
>>1223124
>I went to Paris and Marseilles before they were shitholes
Whoa gramps, why don't you put your age in the Guinness book?
>>
File: lonesome-george_2.jpg (120KB, 840x400px) Image search: [Google]
lonesome-george_2.jpg
120KB, 840x400px
>>1222905
Saw those, missed seeing Lonesome Gorge by a week or two.
>>
>>1223149
>Lonesome George
>>
>>1222905
Saw the twin towers, went on the observation deck there.

More interestingly, I saw the site when it was still a massive hole in the ground, being cleaned up by crews a month after the attack. With the photos of the missing people posted all around. *That* was an intense experience.
>>
>>1223060
>I live a 10 minute drive from Azure window. Ask me anything.

How much will this affect tourism to Gozo?
>>
File: briksdalsbreen11.jpg (230KB, 640x825px) Image search: [Google]
briksdalsbreen11.jpg
230KB, 640x825px
>>1223086
>>1223091

Some are melting quickly. I got to see this before it disappeared. The first picture was maybe ten years ago.
>>
>>1223139
It's funny cause all those towns were covered in literal horseshit before cars took over.
>>
>>1223060
Have never heard of it. What was cool about it?
>>
>>1223091
Did you see any glacier 10-20 years ago? Y/N

If not, why even bother to type
>>
>>1223138
>nutjob who tried that attempt in 93
explain please?
>>
File: Azure-Window-85123.jpg (206KB, 936x526px) Image search: [Google]
Azure-Window-85123.jpg
206KB, 936x526px
>>1223228
I don't think it will have a big impact to be honest.

There are a lot of Maltese who go to gozo island every weekend simply to eat and drink themself stupid.. That's where the money here is made.

Not with some snorkling or surfing German or French tourists. And there are a lot of those language students who go on a daytrip to gozo.. they don't spend any money anyhow.. Maybe on a soda and that's it...

>>1223233
Well it was absolute massive in size and it had a beautiful view... Like you go back in time to the stone age or something.
>>
>>1223233
also a lot of movie scenes where shot there the last 30/40 years... Like this part of game of thrones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9HWUeVpy8Q
>>
I got to work on the Space Shuttle program in 2009-2010
>>
File: 20170301_105758.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170301_105758.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
It's crazy I was there just last week and did the boat trip right next to it and then a couple of days later I read it collapsed, felt really sad
>>
>>1222877
Lots of greek and pre greek ruins. Massive fortified city port that was the headquarters of the Knights Hospitaller (originally a crusader order) that continued to fight against the ottoman empire up until the 18th century. Was a British fortress/airbase that was besieged by the luftwaffe in ww2.
>>
I spent a month Paris when it was still French
>>
File: IMG_0178.jpg (5MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0178.jpg
5MB, 3264x2448px
A rockslide took out this waterfall in Maryland outside of Paw Paw tunnel

Pic is from 4 years ago
>>
File: world-trade-center.jpg (173KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
world-trade-center.jpg
173KB, 1200x900px
>>1222859
The World Trade Center.
Family vacation when I was 10 years old.

I preferred the imposing, simple double design of the original towers to that tapered shit we have now. And that white memorial sculpture that look's like a whale's carcass is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.
>>
>>1222859
I visited glaciers in multiple South American countries, and while they obviously still exist I wonder for how long. The glaciers in Huaraz were receding at an alarming rate and the glaciers at PN Los Nevados in Colombia were practically just a thin sheet of ice. The Northern Patagonian icefield was also receding pretty hard and the Southern as well.
>>
>>1223236
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_World_Trade_Center_bombing

Thanks for making me feel ancient you dick.
>>
>>1223711
they should have rebuilt the old towers as identically as possible
>>
File: iceland.jpg (87KB, 815x607px) Image search: [Google]
iceland.jpg
87KB, 815x607px
>>1223234
I saw one this year.
>>
>>1223761
and also they should accidentally allow some terrorist from yet another nation and culture to hijack yet another plane.
Like, doing this every 15 years or so would be a fantastic national tradition. And economy would always be on the rise from all those wars
>>
>>1223720
man, I was born a month before that.
It sure brings some new light to 9/11
>>
>>1223558
what did you do anon, WHAT DID YOU DO
>>
Maltan Ministry of Tourism hard at work with viral marketing on a Finnish Eurovision message board.
>>
>>1222859
Saw the old man of the mountain in the White Mountains, New Hampshire when I was a kid.

It really did look like an old man
>>
>>1223124
honestly if someone with more than 25 years uses 4chanspeak that's just sad.
>>
>>1223138
I went there around the same time. post first attack. Saw all the security and noped it the fuck out of there without going to the top. In hindsight I sort of wished I had gone to the top but I imagine some tourist went down with it too. So it doesn't seem like the worst decision I've made.
>>
>>1223135
I watched it happen. A line of palm trees was going up in flames, every couple minutes another one would catch fire in the line as the flow advanced. One of my clearer childhood memories. Also queens bath was an amazing spring and swimming pool in the area that got swallowed up.
>>
>>1223557
>I got to work on the Space Shuttle program in 2009-2010
I remember seeing Shuttle launches just randomly while driving on I-95, or from the window of an airline (once!). It was always cool....but yea, we took them for granted.
>>
>>1223846
>It sure brings some new light to 9/11
It does, doesn't it? People tend to forget.
>>
File: hotel regis.jpg (85KB, 650x431px) Image search: [Google]
hotel regis.jpg
85KB, 650x431px
>>1224250
>honestly if someone with more than 25 years uses 4chanspeak that's just sad.
Explain.

>>1223923
>Saw the old man of the mountain in the White Mountains, New Hampshire when I was a kid.
Woah. I didn't know! Wikipedia is saying it collapsed? !
I saw it during my childhood too, many times. My grandparents took me on the tram every October, lol. *sniff*

Places that don't exist anymore? I spent a good deal of my life going to Mexico City for business and pleasure, including a heavy amount of time in the DF. I waited about 2 weeks to go to the Mexico City after the 85 earthquake, and it was horrific seeing the tents in all the store parking lots of homeless, smelling the smells, and seeing buildings I had once been inside, or even stayed in destroyed in some kind of extreme pancaked fashion. My favorite hotel was intact, but it had some serious cracks in all the walls and was right next to a completely leveled building.
I just found this interesting play by play blog by an embassy employee at the time.
http://adst.org/2014/09/the-1985-mexico-city-earthquake/
>>
>>1225694
I got to see 3 launches from up close. Life changing experience. Also got to go inside orbiter, crawlers, launch pads, etc. SpaceX and ULA launches are cool but not as cool as shuttle
>>
>>1223846
>it brings new light
Only if youre a fucking retard that lives under a rock. Youre dumb as a fat pile of pig shit.
>>
I've been to the moon before it became a normie thing
>>
>>1222930
Same here, from a cruise ship in August 2001.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.