[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /trv/! I am thinking about going to Lisbon in the summer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1438897335873.jpg (464KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1438897335873.jpg
464KB, 1920x1200px
Hi /trv/!

I am thinking about going to Lisbon in the summer and I am hoping to rack up some recommendations from you guys.

My plan was to sample the local nightlife, from cozy restaurants and cafés to bars and nightclubs.

Also, I was wondering if there were any great beaches around Lisbon, or anything worth doing a daytrip for!
>>
Oh also, how well do the portugese speak english?
>>
>>1222627
You're going to a country that doesn't speak english expecting them to cater to your language?
At least try and compromise with them I'm sure many people speak at least broken english but try to learn some basic Portuguese.
>>
>>1222627
>>1222621
You're a tourist, you can get along perfectly fine in English. Young people will speak it pretty well, too. The major beaches are in the south of the country, in the Algave region, but they attract a lot of package tourists from the UK and northern Europe in the summer.
>>
Lisbon is a great city , seems you're not interested in museums and stuff so I won't recommend you any.
Basically I'd recommend you doing this route: visit around Chiado, then go all up towards avenida da liberdade until marques de pombal where there is a nice Park (at night it becomes a cruising area for homos) after that you can visit the dr Sousa Martins square (in front of the Italian embassy if I don't remember wrong) where people thanks him for curing their loved ones, as if he was some kind of Saint, afterwards you can descend to av. Almirante reis and walk to Martim moniz (avoid this Avenue when it gets dark, can be dangerous). From there walk back to Chiado.
Other must see visits in the town are Alfama neighborhood followed by the castle, igreja do carmo and o miradouro da Graça.
You should also visit belem, where to have different things to visit like museums, monasteiro dos jeronimos, a torre de belem, o monumento aos descubridores... Also you can buy the delicious pasteis de belem (I never tried them in the original shop, bakeries sell them as pasteis de nata)
Dont forget to try bacalao ao bras and caldo verde (1.5€ normally), you can get a complete menu with wine for around 10€

When it comes to party you have 2 spots, Barrio Alto, literally 3 or 4 streets with only bars.
Sadly it closes quite early. But no problem like 5-10 minutes from there you have a rua Rosa (right next cais do sodre), where all the party moves when barrio alto closes
I'm not a beach guy so I cannot recommend you about that but a daytrip to sintra is a must do.
If you have any other doubts, feel free to ask I'll try to help you

Ps: the series are not dubbed, so the Portuguese people are used to hearing English, normally younger people have a good level.
>>
>>1222997
Don't project.

>>1223049
>seems you're not interested in museums and stuff so I won't recommend you any.
Sorry, did not mean to give off that vibe. If you got some museums to recommend, please tell me.

But the one thing I look forward to most is the food, if you got some personal recommendations I'd love to hear them.

>avoid this Avenue when it gets dark, can be dangerous

I've assumed Lisbon is as safe as other capitals, such as Stockholm or Oslo. Are there areas I should actively avoid?
>>
Well Lisbon has several museums, there is a new one I never visited about the resistance during the Salazar regime or something like that..it sounds interesting.
However you have in belem a modern art collection from the beginning of the 20th century until nowadays, so you can see the evolution of the avant-gardes
Also you can see the saramago foundation if you're interested in the author.
In very center of the chiado they there is a culture center (sponsored by a bank if I'm not wrong) where each summer (at least was like this 2 years ago) they have an exposition of "sardines": For the party of the town every year make a contest of sardine shaped designs in cardboard and other materials, there 2 years ago around August they where giving out every day a different cardboard sardine for free; it's a nice souvenir.
If you go around August, you'll maybe find the city infested by hippie ravers coming from boom festival, they are mostly nice people and they will invite you to drugs, however their psy-trance might be annoying.

Well I'm not that familiar about Lisbon but I'd say it's pretty safe if you use your common sense.
Don't buy drugs from the street
Don't trust someone you just met (as you would do in your hometown, Portuguese are friendly people in general)
Take care of your belongings in the party zones and cais do sodre at night.
As I said the zone of av. Almirante Reis between the metro stations Arroios, anjos, intendente and Martin monitz can be dangerous at night, full of junkies and prostitutes. However I walked around there at night and nothing happened to me but it's kinda scary when some heroin addict talks to you.
Also the zone of Martim Moniz is full of African immigration and a small number of Chinese immigrants, check out in Google "chines clandestino martim moniz" a Chinese clandestine restaurant (dunno if it's truly clandestine but it doesn't look like a restaurant) worth a visit
Maybe there is some lisboeta that can give us some more tips
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.