[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hawaiian Airlines tries to charge a cold, elderly man $12 for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

File: hawaiian2.jpg (118KB, 756x473px) Image search: [Google]
hawaiian2.jpg
118KB, 756x473px
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hawaii-bound-flight-diverted-over-blanket-dispute-005436768.html

Los Angeles (AFP) - A flight from Las Vegas to Honolulu was diverted to Los Angeles on Wednesday after a passenger refused to pay $12 for a blanket and was accused of being unruly, police said.

The incident unfolded after the Hawaiian Airlines flight took off from Las Vegas and the passenger -- a 66-year-old man -- requested a blanket as he was cold, Officer Rob Pedregon, a spokesman for the Los Angeles airport police, told AFP.

When told he would have to fork out $12 for the blanket, the unidentified man got upset and demanded to speak to a corporate representative from the airline, Pedregon said.

"During the in-flight call he allegedly said 'I would like to take someone behind the woodshed for this' and the pilot deemed that to be threatening behavior and ordered that the plane be diverted to Los Angeles," he said.

Police and FBI agents met with the passenger and crew when the plane landed in Los Angeles and determined after questioning both sides that no crime had been committed, Pedregon said.

The man voluntarily abandoned his flight and caught another one, he said.

Pedregon said the incident may not be the oddest he has handled "but it ranks right up there."
>>
>man too cheap to purchase blanket throws temper tantrum and gets plane diverted, inconveniencing hundreds of innocent passengers
>>
>>1222464
>go on a long flight
>assume you will get free shit because you're old

If you are going on a long flight, especially something like HI to CA you should at least plan ahead for this doesn't really matter if you are old or not.
>>
Don't ever assume an airline will give you free shit and you'll never be disappointed.
>>
>>1222464
"During the in-flight call he allegedly said 'I would like to take someone behind the woodshed for this'

That'll do it.
66 isnt even that fucking old. Over 80 and I might see things differently.
>>
>>1222464
I sure hope that blanket was for sale and not being rented to him.
>>
What the fuck does he think is gonna happen? Cabin crew can't just give out discounts on stuff because a) It's not up to them to give discounts, they'll end up getting a discipline/fired and b) If they let him buy it for half price just because he's old then the rest of the plane will be like "how come he got it for half price and I don't?"
>>
File: avg_low_cost_pax.jpg (144KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
avg_low_cost_pax.jpg
144KB, 1280x720px
>get cheap ticket
>demand free shit
>try to shame the airline for not giving you free shit
Inexpensive air travel was a mistake
>>
>>1222500
>>1222581
>>1222779
You guys might not know this because this board is full of ignorant teenagers, but it wasn't that long ago that airplanes had blankets on them for the passengers to use.
>>
>>1223619
Amd before someone says ">hurrr they used to have legroom and cookies too," that's been known to be different now for decades and this is the first i've heard of charging for a fucking blanket. I know amtrak still has blankets.
>>
>>1223619
Ive worked for an airline for 13 years dude. In HDQ, not inflight. So in that respect I am a teenager.
I deal with this kind of whiny entitlement shit all the time, and I bend the rules on a daily basis. Hook people up all the time.

But if you act like an asshole, I will enforce the rules of the contract of carriage as strongly as I can, and my bosses will praise me either way, for hooking a customer up in the name of customer service, or enforcing the rules as they are written.

PNR remarks are a thing.
>>
>>1223619
>>1223891 (me again)

The irony of this situation, is that diversion probably cost the carrier hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in fuel alone. If they had passengers traveling to Asia making and missing connections on that plane they had to invol rebook, that will cost them as well. Diversions are not taken lightly, and Im sure the inflight crew was grilled by management on why they made that decision. Because bottom line means they lost a shitload of money, and made the news.

So keep on bitching about your fucking cookie. You have no idea what your talking about.
>>
>>1222464
Its simply a rule of thumb, if you can ever avoid a North American airline you should. You almost always end up saving money in food, luggage, and dignity
>>
>>1223912
Listen all a yall its a cabotage.
>>
>>1223891
>>1223911
None of that is a response to my post you ignorant shit.
>>
>>1223619
And now they don't. Knowing airlines today he was a fucking retard for just assuming he'd get a blanket with a snap of his fingers. When I know I'm going to want something for a flight I bring it with me. That's how intelligent people who don't want to deal with an airline any more than they have to fly.
>>
>>1222581
>>1222500
>>1222779
What airlines dont give blankets? I just started flying about 5 years ago and all of my flights have had blankies.
>>
File: airline dinner food.jpg (190KB, 500x419px) Image search: [Google]
airline dinner food.jpg
190KB, 500x419px
>>1223619
>>
File: hawaiian-airline-logo-11.jpg (20KB, 500x145px) Image search: [Google]
hawaiian-airline-logo-11.jpg
20KB, 500x145px
>>1224054
Hawaiian, apparently.
>>
>>1222464
You see alot of these stories kind of overblown from the fact the power rush flight attendant sucked in customer service communication and then it escalated versus handled properly in a customer always right kind of way. I'd even wager that's the root of more than half of these passenger thrown off/arrested scenarios.
Hell if I was a neighboring passenger that witnessed this drama, I'd reach for my credit card and buy the guy two blankets and then scold the flight attendant for common sense issues.
>>
I'm with the airline on this one. 66 isn't that old. My dad turns 60 this year, is in better shape than I am, and still doesn't have gray hair.

It's a little silly to turn the entire plane around for that comment, but fuck the guy who thinks he's entitled to shit that isn't free. He should have done his research, and then acted like a mature adult when he found out he was wrong.
>>
reminds me of the faces of the chinese tourists who transferred in [random western eu city] with me, and asked for blankets on the short-haul one...
i mean at least the flight attendants were like "sorry, we don't do that stuff on short haul"
after a few mins they decided to set the temperature higher
>>
>>1223619
>You guys might not know this because this board is full of ignorant teenagers, but it wasn't that long ago that airplanes had blankets on them for the passengers to use.
Flights also use to be much more costly than they are now. Seriously if you are going on a long flight plan ahead
>>
>>1224087

My dad is in better shape than I am as well, but he did not get shot four times,fall out of a helo or suffer third degree burns.

That being said- Last time I flew I brought my own blanket.
A scratchy green USGI one.

Still charging twelve bucks for a snotrag thin blanket is pretty fucking shitty. If it was like a lot of the flights I've been on, he could have had mine.
>>
>>1222464
>no blankets provided
guess thats what you get for flying with some ryanair-tier piece of shit "cost effective" airline
>>
>>1222781
>'I would like to take someone behind the woodshed for this'
Maybe he meant that he would make gentle love to them?
>>
>>1223912
>end up saving money in food, luggage, and dignity
>implying my dignity has value
>implying I have dignity

>>1224085
>Hell if I was a neighboring passenger that witnessed this drama, I'd reach for my credit card and buy the guy two blankets and then scold the flight attendant for common sense issues.
The cop literally said that. In a separate report about the same incident, the airport cop was quoted as saying that if he was a passenger, he'd have bought the guy a blanket himself. I mean it would be worth it to avoid the diversion.

>You see alot of these stories kind of overblown from the fact the power rush flight attendant sucked in customer service communication and then it escalated versus handled properly in a customer always right kind of way. I'd even wager that's the root of more than half of these passenger thrown off/arrested scenarios.

There's an alternate interpretation. In business you often hear of the 80/20 rule. That's the idea that 20% of your customers (passengers) cause 80% of your problems. The 'solution' is to fire that 20% and focus on the low-problem/high-profit customers who just buy the product and don't need changes/warranties/customisation/extras.

If an airline has a high profile incident like this, one outcome might be that more fussy passengers would avoid the airline and passengers who have the "well I wouldn't cause that problem in the first place" attitude might decide that it's fine to save some money by taking the budget airline. The airline probably likes that attitude and those customers.

So this can actually be a kind of anti-marketing exercise where they push the higher cost passengers onto other airlines and keep the ones that they can process like cattle. They wouldn't engineer incidents for this of course but they'd have a few strict rules and tell their flight attendants to enforce them.
>>
>>1224205
That sounds like an interesting story.
>>
>>1223995
Alright, you want a direct respone? It's about weight. yes, that rinky dink little tissue they give you is all about weight. more weight = more fuel, and fuel prices terrify airlines, it may seem like nothing, but multiply that cost over a few thousand flights and it adds up QUICKLY. so if every asshole on the plane expects a free blanket, which will then need to be laundered to be reused, adding to the cost.
So if you want to buy one, HA will sell you one, but Im guessing they keep a limited quantity on board.

But ya, I'm the ignorant one. Ive been dealing with you know everything dickhead customers for a long time. Glad I'm not on the frontlines any more, because you retards seem to be breeding. To quote clerks "you'd feel a lot better if you just ripped into the occasional customer."
I'm glad /trv gives me that chance to interact anonymously. Sidenote, I dont do any business with HA. Dont believe me on the weight to fuel? Airlines account for every single lb. they can control. There's a reason why your tanks are close to being legally dry when you land.

https://www.wired.com/2015/01/skymalls-demise-save-american-airlines-350k-year-fuel/
>>
>>1223911
they can grill the inflight crew all they want because they didn't make the rule about selling blankets the people grilling them made the rule. i use to work in hotel industry and its not a new game. they tell you to give them blankets if they are going to force a landing and from then on out you never sell a fucking blanket. you just give them away. either the crew was pissed with the man or the policy.
>>
>>1224245
I'm the one you are replying too... Both of my grandfathers were Delta pioneers, I mean early days as pilots. They are dead obviously but I flew for years on my 1930s seniority buddy passes, literally every week my entire life and pre 9/11 a good deal of time in First. My dad was in airline management and manages a different airline. I heard a lot of shop talk, read a lot of IATA and other publications. A good deal of my friends were Hospitality majors and industry management because my uni was tops in the world for it. I manage a film festival and still travel frequently and in my mind I think I still think like a person who remembers the full service days. I can tell you that what is true for Business class might fit your 80/20 business model and it is only Business, but there is a reason that smart big companies are careful what hits the media. "United breaks guitars?"
If you ever want to hurt a company take your complaint to social media and see how fast they offer to resolve it if you will take down your post ASAP. They have more ppl on social media PR than in the customer resolution area. Offer to report them too. Try that with your next inflated hospital bill. I assure you no one at Hawaiian is happy this happened and it is a direct result of crew training that drilled in authority in the skies power to the attendant vs customer service training. It could even be he wasn't stopped in the terminal for being unfit/over served booze, but the fault is the diversion cost them in the media and this airline has a bad rep already. It might as well be govt owned.
>>
>>1224289
How much does one of those shitty chinese fleece blankets weigh? 6oz? Maybe if you skipped lunch that old man could have had a blanket.
>>
>>1222581
>go on a long-haul flight
>not get anything for free
wtf is this shit america? on my last longhaul with KLM I got headphones,pillow,blanket,food, as many drinks and snacks as I want for fucking free
>>
>>1224603
People seem to forget that airlines are a business. Not your state sponsored public transportation.
So cost cutting (reducing weight) and alternative revenue (selling people that cant stand being mildly uncomfortable) their little blankies are a thing.

Go tell your boss you can save the company 300K a year, youll be a hero.
>>
>>1224487
Fuck off hotelbro.
You might deal with tourists, but our world in the airline industry is much more strictly regulated, and much more complicated.

People are relived to get to their destination, we have to get them their. Apples and oranges.
>>
>>1224603
You get what you pay for. most airline tickets get you from XXX to YYY, and like I said. It's a business, so expect them to sell you things in flight, at a markup, because your a captive audience.

Do you go out to eat and bitch that your food would be cheaper if you make it yourself? No, because companies dont give that shit away and will try to make money off you.

You want a free blankie? Buy a more expensive fare.
>>
Why is there so much discussion about fucking airlines here? This board is about TRAVELLING, not the couple hour long flight you take to get to your destination. If the airplane flight is the most important thing to you while travelling you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>1224603
The problem is with customers, especially airlines is that if you give people an inch they will always want a mile. If you want free shit pay for first class, OH WHAT'S THAT? More expensive? Gee no shit because you are getting additional items as well as leg space and such.

I've never understood why people are so damn picky on a flight.
>Back in my day
Back in your day flights cost stupidly more, were often late or not on time, slower, and potentially much more unsafe
>>
>>1225282
Never understood why people give a shit about airflight so much.

>most will let you pick your seat
So go for the window first, isle if you know you can't hold it, middle if you ware a masochist
>Most have wifi or at least will tell you if flight has wifi on it
So you can either browse the web or stock up on a movie or two during
>Long flight or overseas
Get a fucking neck pillow and plan the fuck ahead and sleep to fight off the jet lag

You are more than likely going to get there in the window of time specified when booking the flight. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out ways to plan for.
>>
>>1225282
A lot of frequent fliers and industry people post here. It's a good forum to have a back and forth conversation without a traveler getting tossed of a plane and an airline employee to drop the fake persona and give you a real answer.

Like you said...its a board about traveling. Upset about the threads? start a better one.
>>
>>1222464
>66-year-old man

thats not even that fucking old though
>>
>>1225282
>This board is about TRAVELLING

so travelling around counts...?
>>
Ok guys, so explain this to me, as I still don't get it. Why didn't they simply ignore the dude?
His life clearly wasn't threatened or anything like that. And from what has been cited here, they got mad at him because of one damn sentence. It fucking makes no sense. Like some poster before me said, their PR is ruined now, they lost tons of cash. And I'm certain they get a lot of complaints from passengers daily for whatever reason, yet they decided to act but on this one.
Would there be any severe consequences if they both didn't provide the balnket and just flew on to the destination?
>>
>>1222464
>be too cheap to pay for a blanket
>pay for another flight right away
wut
>>
>>1222464
>"During the in-flight call he allegedly said 'I would like to take someone behind the woodshed for this'
I didn't know Biden flew coach
>>
>>1224719
>You get what you pay for
Yes, as long as you get to decide your travel and you have more choices than "rape your body" vs "rape your wallet"
>>
>>1225457
We don't live to 100 yet.
>>
File: flight aware.png (159KB, 1448x688px) Image search: [Google]
flight aware.png
159KB, 1448x688px
>>1225472
That decision probably came down from headquarters, because he made the threat to a call center, which was passed along to operations who could radio the pilots and say there was a threat onboard. He was also practically on top of LAX at the tiime, and there are no places to divert to when your in the middle of the pacific should a situation escalate, and if he did make good on his threat and kick the shit out of a flight attendent, you're a ways from medical attention beyond first aid. I complete agree with this on. It's not that I dont think some FAs abuse their power to toss people off flights, its usually on the ground though. There were 30 minutes outside of LAX, and still a ways from HNL, and internal manifests DO state if their are air marshals on board I totally agree with the airline on this one.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/HAL7/history/20170308/1645Z/KLAS/KLAX/tracklog
>>1225605
Have you ever been to a concert and wanted a water? ever been to a movie theater and wanted a hot dog? Im sure your mild discomfort is the equivilent of rape.

Where you the same anon that called us children?
>>
>>1225726
and another thing I just noticed, thats an average fare of 113 dollas from LAS to HNL.
You're not getting a blanket if thats what you paid. would you expect greyhound to give you a blanket? And they only have 2 fare classes, at least you get breakfast in economy.
>>
>>1225726
OK, I see. Thanks for explanation. But still - all of this seems legit only if you assume that the situation *could* actually escalate. What could one grandpa actually do? swear profusely? I get that the threat must be taken seriously, but how can you claim that a single sentence is enough of a threat?
>>
>>1223619

So the fuck what? Things change over time, deal with it.

>doesn't get what he wants for free
>gets so shitty plane has to divert

And they call millenials entitled...
>>
>>1225282
>autism
>>
>>1225768
Its airline culture in general. There is a rigid adherence to safety from the mechanics, the in flight crews, right down to the baggage handlers. Thats why crashes are extremely rare, any instance of an unsafe situation is taken taken extremely seriously. So if you threaten a crewmember, its going to be taken seriously.

This already religious like culture has been amplified to the extreme after 911. I will admit somewhat ridiculously So even a joke comment will be taken literally.
>>
>>1225726
>Have you ever been to a concert and wanted a water? ever been to a movie theater and wanted a hot dog? Im sure your mild discomfort is the equivilent of rape.
First of all, water legally has to be provided at those types of venues free of charge. Second of all, planes can get fucking FREEZING depending on the flight, and someone who is elderly is going to be weaker and more temperature sensitive. Comparing an environment that could legitimately make you sick to going without a hot dog for an hour and a half is absolutely fucking retarded. Kill yourself.
>>
>>1224596
Hawaiian air does not have a bad rap.
>>
>>1226073
Laws vary from place to place.

I think I can show fairly conclusively that the laws under which they operate do not require Hawaiian Airlines to give somebody a free blanket. Item one on my evidence list is that they operate many flights a day without offering anybody a free blanket.
>>
>>1226073
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part. First off, if the dude lives in LAS, anything below 90 is probably "chilly" for him. Secondly, he's old enough to know better than to make a threat mid flight, or not to pack a sweatshirt.

Stop being so fucking dramatic. If he went into convulsions or was visibly in distress he would have gotten a free blanket, and they still would have diverted the flight for medical reasons.
>>
I would have beat the shit outta the old man, tbqf famlam.
>>
>>1225726
>Where you the same anon that called us children?
no, i'm the anon that talks like an anon on 4chan.

service in airlines has gone down, and you don't always have a choice of carriers who, at any time, can downgrade services provided.
>>
>>1223619
just last week I was on a plane and had a blanket to use
>>
>>1222464
wtf???
>Old man: "I am angry about this"
>flight crew "z0mg!!1 turn the plane around! this is an emergency! police! POLICE!"
>>
>>1224085
This. The customer is always right. Old man was cold and it's the airline's responsibility to see to the comfort of the passengers. Charging $12 for a blanket just because "lol where else you gunna get one, fagit?" is ridiculous. I remember when international flights came with free food, alcohol, blanket, headphones, entertainment system etc not even 5 years ago.
>>
>>1228572
Times change
>customer is always right
Bull fucking shit
There is another saying
>the customer is king
Which had something added recently
>so act like a king
and not like you own the place.
Stupid 60 year old fags and bootlickers of elderly. Go volunteer at a local retirement home instead of trying to collect brownie points for your defense of their honor on a Mongolian basket weave forum
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.