[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Decided to move to the west coast. Not exactly /trv/ but /relocate/.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: portland.jpg (2MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
portland.jpg
2MB, 1280x1024px
Decided to move to the west coast. Not exactly /trv/ but /relocate/. Still, can you describe the ins and outs of various cities and towns and recommend places?

My profession: programmer
My interests: hip hop, going out to drink and eat, jazz, art.
Basically, help a hipster out.
>>
>>1222011
Am I shadowbanned? :^)
I like cities btw
>>
>>1222017
This is a slow board.

Also you're basic as fuck so any major west coast city will be fine.
>>
>>1222011
Boise is the place for you.

/trv/ is a slow board, since you work in tech maybe ask /g/, they're a friendly helpful bunch.
>>
>>1222023
But which is coolest?

>>1222027
They're just gonna tell me to install some niche linux distro
>>
>>1222032
Whichever, it doesn't really matter. Your list of requirements are so simple that they're all the coolest to you
>>
>>1222011
San Francisco
Seattle
Portland
all good cities for your kind
>>
>>1222035
Right
How's this then (more basic stuff that everyone should enjoy)
Car-less and dense -- I want to walk downstairs and buy fresh groceries nearly every day
Close proximity to ocean and outdoorsy shit
Cool marijuana laws (all three states seem fine)
I've never lived in a crime-y area but I guess low crime? Idk I've lived in Nanjing and Barcelona but I was occasionally sketched out walking a dark alley in the Cambodian and Egyptian night
"Nightlife" -- I just want one cozy as fuck jazz bar to spend my whole life in
Affordable -- my gf has no real skills (bartender)
Bike-friendly
Artsy
Friendly -- it'll be just me and her so of course this is a must
Doesn't stink like shit

Seriously my standards are so low at this point. I just need to get back into that city lifestyle. I can't stand this fucking suburban shit hole.
>>
>>1222042
Again, just pick one. They'll all meet most of your list, except maybe affordable.

Anyway, we're done here. Good luck OP.
>>
File: mothercan.jpg (106KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
mothercan.jpg
106KB, 375x500px
>>1222044
Cool thanks
>>
>>1222011
>My profession: programmer

Me too. Seattle, LA, San Francisco are your choices for a decent career move.

I'll talk about Seattle since it's where I used to live:
>Awful dating culture, possibly the worst out of any big city in the country besides San Jose. You'll end up dating entitled fat chicks here if you're not a 7+ yourself.
>Awful for making friends. Look up "Seattle Freeze". Ignore people that says it doesn't exist, it absolutely does.
>Awful weather 8 months out of the year, incredible weather 4 months out of the year. Seasonal Affective Disorder affects everyone at least a little bit because of the total lack of sun for half the year.
>Incredible nature. Any type of outdoor sport you want to do, you can do it within an hour or so of the city, and it'll be world-class. Amazing skiing, hiking, water sports, biking, etc. everywhere.
>Every city likes to claim that they're the "next silicon valley", but this is truly it. You'll get close to silicon valley wages at a much lower cost of living (for now). The tradeoff is just the above.
>>
>>1222063
Cheers. I've been leaning towards Portland; I know it's not a "tech hub" but really I'm just looking for a decent enough salary to enjoy life, not accumulating maximum wealth. Any opinion on it?
>>
>>1222065
>great food
>great outdoor life
>cool, young city
>tons of homeless
>same climate problems as Seattle
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.