[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to plan a road trip from Key West FL, all the way to Houlton

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: Untitled.png (53KB, 642x405px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
53KB, 642x405px
I want to plan a road trip from Key West FL, all the way to Houlton ME. Basically taking the whole US1 North
what are some must see places for each state in between?
>>
>>1221971
Rte 1 or I-95?
>>
>>1221971
and what would be the recommended minimum amount of money to bring
>>
>>1221972
I-95, but for any must see places that are out of this route I wouldn't mind going out of the way to see
>>
>>1221971
and of course any places should specifically avoid
>>
Assuming you're American, why would you do this instead of spending half the money on an epic trip through South America, Asia, Africa? US cities are boring as fuck compared to the fun you could have with a fraction of the money elsewhere.
>>
>>1223164
Seems like a cool thing I could do easily with friends, we don't really need to worry about passports (i have mine, but not sure about them)
All we really need is gas and money for food. it's not like we plan to use hotels, would just use the car, we would be frugal.
I don't understand why wouldn't you? I mean it's not like all of America is the single suburb you're from. It's odd to me why people are so interested in exploring the othersides of the world when they've barely been around their own state.
>>
>>1223167

Houlton is buttfuck nowhere. But if you're gonna end at Maine, I'd recommend getting off I-95 at Bangor and heading over to Bar Harbor. Go see Acadia, it's gorgeous. Portland is a great city, great restaurant scene esp for a city so small. Stay the fuck away from Lewiston.

Also, seriously consider going into Canada. Nova Scotia is great and easy to get to from Houlton. Montreal is too but you can't really get there from Maine.

t. A mainer
>>
>>1221973
It depends completely on how much time you have to do this trip
>>
>>1223175
Thanks, I expected Houlton to be nowhere anyways.
The way I want to plan it is to get to the end of Maine and go back to see the landmarks around the state. Since we're starting specifically from Key West despite living in Miami
Nova Scotia and Montreal also sound cool, but depends entirely how much time we spend in other cities
>>1223177
Lets say 2 weeks?
>>
>>1223167

Where are you from originally? That might help.

Also, anything in particular you're interested in? National parks, historical sights, food, drinks, interesting cities, beaches?
>>
>>1223175

>Can't get theyahh from heyahh

Also I'd second this post. Acadia is beatiful and Montreal is a lovely city.
>>
>>1223181
Miami, specifically Cutler Ridge, my friends all Kendall
We're all kind of art fags so museums (ones that offer free days especially would be convenient), and places that are just great for painting and photography
I appreciate history so sites would be musts
I don't care much about food since good stuff usually gets pricey, but places that are fair would be great
>>
>>1223178
if you want to see some good sites/enjoy the local food/stay in a non bedbug hotel you'll need roughly 1500-2000
>>
>>1223185
hotels aren't really planned, we're fine sleeping in the car
>>
>>1223184

If it's museums you're after then you might want to plan on a few days in N.Y. The Met and the MoMA to name a couple.

As for history, I can recommend Gettysburg in Pennsylvania, it's very rich history there. And a pretty place to boot.
>>
>>1223188
I have family in New York so going there already is a must
>>
>>1223187
>we're fine sleeping in the car
At least do airbnb, you'll smell like shit everywhere you go otherwise
>>
>>1223191
oh yeah didn't even think of that
>>
>>1223194
you should probably think about a lot more things like, if you drive that way up, how do you come back. Drive? Fly? etc
>>
>>1223197
>you should probably think about a lot more things
that's why i'm here
>if you drive that way up, how do you come back. Drive? Fly? etc
drive back, less stops, one major stops. should take 2-3 days just going back
>>
>>1223187

Have you ever tried sleeping in a car? I thought that I would be fine too until I actually tried it. Actually sleeping is not the same as when you dose off while the caris moving.
>>
>>1223199
i was thinking about renting a van
but the car's backsets go into the trunk so you can have a makeshift bed
>>
>>1221976
>any places should specifically avoid
All of the strip clubs you'll see advertised on billboards in the South. They're trucker strip clubs, i.e. meth girls.
>>
>>1223297
good advice
>>
>>1221971
Plenty of museums and historical sites around Washington, DC. It's a matter of what you're in to.
>>
>>1221971
>Willingly driving along I95 for 2000 miles

OP you must be a really uninteresting person
>>
>>1221971

That MD thru NH section is going to be awful.
>>
>>1223533
the idea is to have stops frequently, it's not a straight drive
>>1223548
how so
>>
Florida - (don't really need to go through since it's where I live)
Georgia - Stone Mountain honestly sounds cool to me
South Carolina - ???
North Carolina - hear Charlotte is lovely but otherwise?
Virginia - ???
DC is worth going
Maryland - ???
Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, and Gettysburg
Delaware - pretty much skipping over
New Jersey - nothing really
New York - NYC, family there anyways
Connecticut - ???
Massachusetts - Boston
New Hampshire -
Maine - Bangor and Bay Harbor
Canada - Nova Scotia and Montreal
>>
>>1224216
>Not going to nags head for NC

Fucking up
>>
File: 20151016_095044.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20151016_095044.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
I basically hitchiked the same trip in the opposite direction. All the way to gay town key west where they have that litle 1 - END sign in green.

Honestly there was not much to see. NC and SC were pretty and hilly but the rest was just meh.

Following the gulf of mexico all the way to mexico would be a much nicer ride.
>>
>>1221971
I can only speak for the areas I know on the route.

Avoid I-95 like it is the plague around DC and Baltimore.
If you've never been to DC you should stop and see the sights on the mall.
If you like baseball, Camden Yards in Baltimore is one of the most beautiful parks.
Annapolis is pretty touristy and has some cool bars.
Don't stop for anything in Prince George county, get gas before you start into it.
There isn't much of anything on the MD eastern shore but it is a nicer ride north going up 301 than going 95 and the time difference is negligible.
Stop somewhere on the way for some crabs and natty boh, old bay is optional I prefer JO.
>>
>>1224216
>New Jersey

Look into Weird NJ. There are some fairly cool paranormal type things to check out.

Grew up in NJ and highly recommend going to an abandoned insane asylum or something, especially at night. What a rush.
>>
>>1223201
I thought i was going to do that on a month-long road trip. I never felt like moving the shit out of the trunk after driving all day and just slept in the seats.
>>
>>1224216
charleston, sc for sure.
>>
>>1221973
$100000000
>>1223181
Raleigh NC museum of art, and trenton NJ has some historical stuff and a museum on that route, Philadelphia has some great museiums, and that house with the mosiacs artist,
>>
>>1225334
>$100000000
come on lets be real here anon
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.