[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my wife planned a trip to Thailand for us in the middle of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

So my wife planned a trip to Thailand for us in the middle of April. I don't have any strong feelings about it one way or another but she wanted it for a long time so I am happy to oblige.

The problem is that we will be travelling with our 1 y.o kiddo and I heard that Thailand and pretty much all the places around it are a boiling hellhole that time of the year.

Does anyone have experience going to Thailand mid-April with small kids? How difficult would it be for the babby to handle the heat?
>>
File: poco plus shade.jpg (2MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
poco plus shade.jpg
2MB, 2304x1728px
where do you live? here are some mitigating techniques i used hauling my kid around california's central valley and the sierra (similar temps, but less humidity) when he was 5-8 months old:
>wide brimmed hat
>loose, light clothes
keep as much skin protected from sun as you can, without bundling
>baby sunscreen
>cool showers/baths/pools
>lots of naked time
>aggressive management of diaper rash
>do stuff early when it's cooler then stay indoors in the afternoon
assuming indoors is cooled at least a little, doesn't do any good if it's just acting as a sauna
>lots of water
>cold fruit
>baby carrier that holds them away from your body
>stroller or baby carrier has very good sunshade
and most important
>PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION TO HOW THEY'RE DOING
if they're flushed and cranky and haven't pissed in 6 hours you fucked up.

if you're in the market, pic related has been an amazing carrier-osprey poco plus.
>>
>>1221600
I am based in Shanghai so the actual travel time won't be as bad - and the kiddo has already endured flights to Turkey and Ukraine (although that was when he was 6-7 months old and wasn't as fussy).

Last summer in Jiangsu wasn't too hot so he was okay, no idea how well he handles 35+ temperatures.

Thanks for the tips, I will take note of them. Our stroller has a good sunshade but I cba lugging the thing around all day so the carrier similar to the one you posted may be a good idea.
>>
>>1221602
less worried about flight, more worried about what temps they're used to.

good luck, have fun, and fuck the haters that are going to come along bitching about babies on planes. i took my 23 month old to japan a couple months ago and it was a blast.
>>
>>1221604
You are the worst kind of human being.
>>
>>1221604
As long as you don't bring your screaming crotchfruit into business class, I'm fine with it.
>>
>>1221595
Living in TH for the past decade. Yes, will def be hot as hell and humid like a sauna 24/7.

How well baby handles it depends on what activities you've got planned and where you're going. If you're staying in nice hotels with AC and riding in real taxis and not planning on spending 12 hour days hiking outdoors, your kid will probably be just fine. If you plan on pretending you're still hippie backpackers and spending all day out in the hot sun, you're probably gonna have a pissed off kid.

When outdoors, always keep shade in the front of your mind, never stand in the sun, this is second-nature to Thais but not always obvious to foreigners. Hydrate like crazy. Carry a small umbrella for emergency baby-shade. Have someplace to go with AC, don't spend all fucking day out in the scorching heat.

But also remember that Thai kids live in it 24/7 all their lives, most with no AC ever, and mostly don't die. Kids generally deal with heat better than adults.

Are you going during Songkran? Be prepared for that if you are. Everybody is going to get seriously soaked whenever you go out anywhere, carry your crap in waterproof zip bags.
>>
>>1221687
All of this. Avoid the hours of 10 to 3 for any exertion. Seriously. Act like a native and get lazy during the heat of the day. I'd say your biggest enemy is a hot hotel. You need a 4star with climate control to handle humidity not just temp not just a fan and upgrade your travel to taxis and an occasional nice respite for food at a nice hotel too . Just one night or day of sweating in a diaper and you have heat rash and if you don't stop and cure it you have need of a prescription cream. I am not sure I'd pick this destination for such a wee baby unless I was intending to stay the whole time at a resort. You can't DEET a baby of that age...and the mosquitoes are gearing up soon.
>>
>>1221595
my question is will you buy a stroller there or will you just strap the fucker to your chest ?
>>
>>1221595
>1 y.o.
like 11 months, or 19 months, or ??

>>1221687
>Kids generally deal with heat better than adults.
kids, maybe, infants no. and an infant won't necessarily make it obvious when they're crashing; they may just become lethargic, and moron parents think "hooray, they're finally used to it/taking a nap/whatever" and really their kid's 9 different types of fucked up.

>>1221702
>You can't DEET a baby of that age...and the mosquitoes are gearing up soon.
picaridin's okay at that age, and effective. either find wipes, or spray it on your hands then wipe it onto the baby. do NOT use essential oils on a 1 year old.
>>
File: babbythumbs.jpg (28KB, 394x453px) Image search: [Google]
babbythumbs.jpg
28KB, 394x453px
>>1221609
Having read your post, he cannot possibly rank lower than second worst type of human being.

>>1221604
>less worried about flight, more worried about what temps they're used to.

Baby powder in vast quantities, you'll want some as well. Keep kid and yourselves hydrated. Recall kids overheat faster than adults (the old cube/square law kicks in.) But also recall that several zillion kids, native and in expat families, have blazed the trail before you.
>>
File: Mosquitoes 001.jpg (486KB, 1600x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Mosquitoes 001.jpg
486KB, 1600x1350px
>You can't DEET a baby of that age...and the mosquitoes are gearing up soon.

This and similar issues should be discussed with your pediatrician and with a travel doctor. On the front specific to mosquitoes, there are treated nets and such available that protect Junior without getting insecticide on him.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1488916573938.jpg (52KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1488916573938.jpg
52KB, 528x960px
>>1221710
These work well, bteer than a backbwck, IMO, because you can see the baby
>>
>>1221838
>bteer than a backbwck
"better than a backpack", I meant. I still haven't gotten used to the new keyboard since the recent android update.
>>
Keep your wife in check you cuck, your kid will be in danger if you take it with you. Leave it with its grandparents or something, or just don't go.
>>
>>1221595
not a doctor, but a MSc in biology and experience traveling in thailand mid-april. Human beeings are actually better at taking extreme heat than any other mamal on earth due to the fackt that we loose heat from the entire surface of our bodies, not just our mouths and the underside of our feet/paws. At 1 year your kids temperature regulation will have stabilized (I have twins around that age). I also know that when I was around 6 months, my parents took me with them on field work in Mali (west Saharah dessert) and i was fine. Just make sure to use lots of sunscreen, and don't let him/her stay out in the sun for too long (wear a hat etc.). Staying close to a place with bathing opportunities at least for the first few days so you get to aclimatize.
>>
>>1221600
Hey, I just bought that one! Is it any good? (Norwegian, so sunlight isn't my main concern.
>>
>>1221849
>Keep your wife in check you cuck
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1221928
it's amazing. in the last 2 years we've put literally hundreds of miles on it. we started when he was 4 months old to get him used to it, and he's been on hikes up to 11 miles long in it. even when he was a lot smaller it held him high enough to see over my shoulder, it's adjusted as he's gotten bigger, now he can reach the stirrups, he can sleep in it, it has lots of room for diapers, snacks and blankets, really i've been nothing but thrilled with it.
>>
>>1222100
he means he's a bitter kissless asshole who blames all his failure and cowardice with women on 50% of the world's population being hopelessly broken instead of realizing that the common factor in all his interactions and assumptions is him
>>
File: Extra_Edge_Sharpener.jpg (45KB, 448x242px) Image search: [Google]
Extra_Edge_Sharpener.jpg
45KB, 448x242px
>>1222100
>What did he mean by this?

That he is not married.
>>
https://www.missioncritical.cc/products/babycarrier?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=New-Customer-Image-Test&utm_medium=cpc
>>
Bangkok here,Everyday last year in April was at least 39C, at night it might go down to 27C. And the heat index will make everything much worse.
>>
>>1222763
that is some seriously tryhard operator-wannabe /k/ faggotry
>>
Offtopic: I'll be in Bangkok next week's weekend. Any /trv/bros want to meet up?
>>
Wife to Thailand?

Why would you take sand to the beach?
>>
>>1223324
umm, because you don't want you get aids from a chick with a dick?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.