[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm an ESL teacher living in Moscow, almost at the end of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20161202_183218.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161202_183218.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I'm an ESL teacher living in Moscow, almost at the end of my first 1 year contract here. I'm wondering where I can go next. I do want to earn some money at my next job, but I figure I can work a few easy contracts elsewhere then try for somewhere that needs experience and pays well.

My options are:
- Go somewhere where I'd work a lot and get decently paid for it right now.
- Somewhere where I could work a little, pissfart about, relax and travel.
What are your recommendations?

Also, general TESOL/ESL/EFL thread.
>>
What are your credentials? A friend of mine with a master's in English went to South Korea on a TESL gig and wound up as an associate professor at Sejong University. Now he's teaching at a private high school in Beijing.
>>
>>1220626
BA in Linguistics with a CELTA. So pretty basic. I want to get my Masters in the next few years so I can do things like that.
>>
>>1220629
Pure financial reasons with looking at your job alone. Korea>China>Japan>SE Asia.

However with private tutoring you can make good money anywhere. Korea is polarizing, you'll either love it or hate it. I typically hear more consistently good things about SE Asia, Japan, Taiwan and China.

I saved $22,000 dollars past two years Korea. Had an absolutely wonderful time too. Gonna use that money for grad school. Starting my masters in teaching this fall.
>>
>>1220624
Is a celta worth it? I have the money and am considering ... still don't have a degree yet though.
>>
>>1220746
I was considering Korea, but the visa application sounds shitty, and I don't know if I can do it from Moscow. How easy/hard was it?

Also, did you work at a hagwon or a government school?

>>1220762
For some places you won't need it, but it will actually give you the basics of teaching and some experience, which a lot of other certs won't. I thought it was worth it for me.
>>
Any recommendations for someone who has a TEFL but doesn't have prior teaching experience and a Bachelors degree? Currently chilling in Taiwan. I'd like to stay in Asia or go to South America or Arab countries
>>
>>1220772
>the visa application sounds shitty, and I don't know if I can do it from Moscow. How easy/hard was it?
Can't you just go through a recruiter who will do all that stuff for you?

When I looked into Korea (I ended up staying at home and getting a master's degree) I was told Korvia is what most people use.
>>
>>1220772
I taught at a hagwon. It was a good one. Kind boss, low stress environment, highly professional, etc. But do your research befire you decide to go on that route. Gov schools are more consistent.

The visa is tedious yeah. You got options though. Korea is nice but like I said, other countries will be good too.
>>
How realistic is for non-native speaker without bachelor's degree to get a job in asia?
>>
>>1221081
Possibly. Haven't looked into recruiters, but I'm not sure how much they can help while I'm in Russia. You need to have apostilled documents, which are just too difficult for me to get here.
>>
Sup OP,

If you want to save money, your options are basically Middle East, China or Korea.

The West and Japan are expensive and an ESL teacher's salary will keep you partying and pay for a few little trips but you won't save anything.

South America, SE Asia and East Europe have shit pay; you can party but won't save.

Africa will probably cost you money.

Middle East is shit as far as I can tell (although some insist that partying in Bahrain is great) but you get paid well at least. Korea and China pay enough and the cost of living in these places is low (especially if you're a young dude who isn't too delicate and doesn't need too many modcons as long as he has the Internet).
>>
>>1221528
I'd like to work in the Middle East at some point, but most jobs I see are asking for +2-3 years experience. So long as I have that experience, I'm not too bothered about where I go next; so long as I don't have to work my ass off for pennies I'll be happy.
>>
Korea is your best bet. I don't know about Hagwon pay but with EPIK it would not be too diffiucult to put away $10,000 a year. Though a lot of people save less their first year there because they blow all of it on alcohol and prostitutes in Seoul.
>>
>>1221528
What about Europe? I havr heard of ESL in Spain
>>
>>1221748
The pay in Spain is so shit you may actually lose money working there.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.