[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking about moving into a van full full time. I hate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1446083720543[1].jpg (1MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1446083720543[1].jpg
1MB, 1500x1000px
I'm thinking about moving into a van full full time. I hate paying rent, and spend most of my time at my computer desk so why pay for what I don't need. Plus I can just get up and go whenever I get bored.

Anyone that has done this with stories to tell? How was it? Which vehicle do you recommend? I was looking at VW Vanagons but I hear they break down all the time.

Here's a few details...

>Live in Toronto
>Have $14,000
>Want a retro hispter 1988 Dodge Ram van
>Want Dickinson propane fireplace
>Want to be able to play a PS4
>Want 12v fridge
>Want 3x100w solar panels
>Want 255 amp hour AGM battery
>Want Pioneer stereo deck with GPD/backup came LCD

Thoughts?
>>
Vanagons don't necessarily breakdown all the time, but when they do it'll cost you an arm and a leg. They also have a higher initial investment because they're popular with trustafarians. Since you're a Canadafag, there's some Japanese options available to you, but again demand and parts make them more expensive.

As far as dollars for space and ease of maintenance stick to Ford or GM. An Econoline or G-Series is way bigger and parts are way cheaper. There's literally thousands of websites and videos about building out Econolines.
>>
>>1219694
14k is not nearly enough for a good westfalia.
I live the life you are contemplating.
Its fucking awesome.
300 watts will do all you ask in the southwest of america and mexico.
Canada?
In the summer maybe.
Get a backup inverter generator.
If you have full time digital employment then dont cheap out.
If 14k is all you have in the world then get an old school bus.
>>
Which Japanese options are these out of curiosity. I don't intend on going down this route if the parts are scarce and expensive, but I'm interested

Also, didn't think Fords were good options. I hear they have a knack for breaking down as well.

Was looking at some of those Chevy G20 conversions. Definitley digging the vibe of those vehicles. Interior decor is very hippie with those colords leather seats and carpeting. The wooden dashboards above are also beautiful.

I don't see any 19 footer options though. I was sold on getting one. The ability to stand up is was one of the bigger selling points for me, but still, readily available parts and ease of maintenance is of utmost importance. If I'm going to live in this thing, I need to know I won't have to scavenge very often to keep it running.

Also, it's specifically because I live in Canada that I need as many panels as I can get my hands on. I realize I'll need to ditch some of the more power hungry appliances to make it work such as blender, microwave etc. Which I think I can manage just fine. Might force me to be a little more health conscious.

Also, thoughts on a Pickup truck with a cabover camper attached?
>>
>>1219712
Ford Econolines are one of the most legendarily long-lived vehicles.

My family had one and we put 350,000 miles on it before it finally went tits up.
>>
>>1219724
Which years are best If I look for one? Would I need to get them in the bland white cargo van chassis?

I want a vehicle that's old enough not to have updated itself with a bunch if unecessary electrical bells and whistles. For example, if I have to choose between a motorized window opener, or a manual crank, I'll choose the crank. The less tech the less headache.

I'm a simple man.
>>
>>1219726
IMO the best were the third gen, 75-91. And they came in different colors.
>>
>>1219694
Wouldnt a diesel mercedes Sprinter be better?
>>
>>1219757
Yes, but I don't have nearly enough for one of those. I need to keep my sights set on a fixer upper. It'll be 14 grand all in.
>>
>>1219694

wont you freeze to death during the canuck winter ?
>>
>>1219866
In Toronto maybe. I'm planning on relocating to Vancouver for this specific reason. But like I said I intend on installing a propane fireplace so hopefully that will mitigate the cold. A wood stove would be even better but I worry that it might be too much heat for such a small space.
>>
There was a vanfag thread years ago where this guy posted pics of his badass van along with helpful info, then he started posting pics of the hot girls he banged in his van. Like pics of them using the van shower.

Anyone remember this? Or maybe he'll post here.
>>
>>1219757
Sprinters are definitely bigger and taller, but they have the same problem that VW has. Higher cost of parts and maintenance, Mercedes will take you to town for even the smallest replacement parts.
>>
Op google oneawesomeinch.
He lives in a van invancouver.
He is selling a nice chevy van but its full of bedbugs.
He has tons on info on his youtube
>>
you don't have enough money for this yet, you can rent sheds with wood stoves on the west coast for $400 a month

if you're moving to vancouver, wait to buy a used vehicle there, way less body damage from salt and potholes

you're not going to get shit from solar panels that time of a year, but don't need to run a fridge ether, you want a propane one in general

>>1219712
>Also, thoughts on a Pickup truck with a cabover camper attached?
better off doing that, a 20 year old vehicle is liable to break soon, not having to start all over is better

>>1219712
>Which Japanese options are these out of curiosity. I don't intend on going down this route if the parts are scarce and expensive, but I'm interested

probably a delica, think it's easier to get them in canada
but don't do it, the import restrictions mean they have to be 15 years old, and they were commercially driven
there's a couple mechanics making a mint working on them in Vancouver,
>>
Just get a hightop cargo can and convert it
>>
>>1220808
Mostly Delicas and Toyota LiteAces. I used to live in Seattle and would see a lot around with BC plates.

Same problem as VC Westies. Old machines, high demand, expensive maintenance. Nice weekend warrior vans if you've got the money, but not for full-timing.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.