[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi /trv/, going to minneapolis on thursday because UMN is flying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

File: 20160322_181652 (1).jpg (7MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160322_181652 (1).jpg
7MB, 5312x2988px
hi /trv/,

going to minneapolis on thursday because UMN is flying me up to tour as a potential PhD student

never been to the city so im wondering what it is there to do. im staying for four days (thurs-sunday) in some cheap airbnb in the warehouse district.

pic unrelated but i hope you like my dog
>>
fuck the image was ok when I uploaded it sry
>>
>>1218942
Bump, leaving tm morning
>>
File: Tchami.jpg (41KB, 960x300px) Image search: [Google]
Tchami.jpg
41KB, 960x300px
Hey, man. Mpls dude, here. The Warehouse District is a cool place. I used to live there. Not sure what you’re into as you didn’t provide much information. Age? Are you alone? Do you want to hit up the best bars? If so, what kind are you into?

Warehouse District/North Loop
-Smack Shack has awesome food. Might be a little awkward alone.
-Cuzzy’s has awesome food too. A dive bar’s dive bar. Used to be a whorehouse. Haunted. Less awkward to be in alone.
-The Loop gets filled with people dancing to mostly top 40/pop/hip-hop and attracts mostly Chad and Stacy types.
-Fulton is a great brew pub but not as good as Dangerous Man in Northeast Minneapolis.
-Bar La Grassa is my favorite restaurant in the Twin Cities
>>
Northeast Minneapolis, aka “Nordest” is my favorite Mpls neighborhood and you’re close to it.

-Go to Anchor Fish and Chips and get the Fish and Chips to go. Walk the block and a half or so to Dangerous Man and eat it there. Try the Chocolate Milk Stout. Cry that you can’t get it at home.
-Psycho Suzi’s has an incredible patio on the Mississippi river and the entire place is designed to be a crazy, cheesy hula lounge. Pretty fun, but attracts a lot of suburban types because it’s the best bar they’ve heard of.
-Danger Betty’s is another crazy bar with mini golf and a huge ferris wheel. Get to this area just to see this little carnival bar in the middle of (actually the top of) a major city. Across the street from that is Tony Jaro’s River Garden where you have to get a Greenie. They’re $5.50, delicious and pack a punch that you can’t taste.
-Honey has a monthly 90’s party every first Saturday of the month. It’s a fantastic time. I’m going there for my birthday party with a ton of people. Get there before 10:30 or you won’t get in. It’s a blast, and there are usually many girls.
-Walk along the Saint Anthony Main and walk across the Stone Arch Bridge. This is where Minneapolis was born, and offers incredible views. If you do one thing, do this. Waterfalls, greeneary, city skyline, old architecture, modern architecture. Shheeeatt.
>>
File: GuthrieTheatre.jpg (347KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
GuthrieTheatre.jpg
347KB, 1500x1000px
>>1219914
Downtown isn’t my favorite, aside from seeing music at either First Avenue (God-tier) or the Skyway Theatre (mostly EMD shows). The Guthrie Theater (actual stage theater, not a concert venue) is there too, and it’s an architectural wonder. You can go visit, even if you don’t plan on going to a play. On Sunday, I’m going to Tchami (pic related) at First Ave. Not sure if you’ll still be in town. This promises to be pretty cool. French “Future House” DJ.

Check out the sculpture garden and Walker Art Museum in Loring Park. This is where you’ll see our giant spoon and cherry among a lot of other cool shit.

Stay out of North Minneapolis. Not to be confused with Northeast, which is awesome. Actually, something called Future Classic is on Friday in North Mpls, but it’s safe. Just don’t go anywhere else. A big underground rave type thing in an abounded warehouse in an industrial area. Let me know if you’re interested. This goes all night. I’m going. (Busy weekend.)
>>
File: LakeCalhounSailboats640.jpg (63KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
LakeCalhounSailboats640.jpg
63KB, 640x425px
>>1219915
Dinkytown is where the college kids hang out. So go there if you’re of that age, or just want to drool at hot lady gophs. The Varsity Theatre and Loring Pasta Bar in this neighborhood are absolutely gorgeous places. Best bathrooms you’ll ever stop foot into.

Uptown
There’s an arcade bar called Up/Down that’s a lot of fun.
CC Club is kinda legendary. VERY hipster.

It’s supposed to be super nice this weekend, so you lucked out there. Walk or even bike (rentals are everywhere and cheap) around the chain of lakes. Lake Calhoun, Lake of the Isles, etc.

Whew. I’ll stop now.
>>
>>1219914
For Northeast, you left out Emily's Lebanese Deli, which is an incredible place to pick up a sandwich or just some hummus and pita bread to go.

OP i also recommend checking out the Macalester neighborhood in St. Paul. It's not far from you, full of beautiful historic homes if you're into that, and the Nook is a great place to get a burger and you can go bowling/drink cheap beer in their basement.
>>
>>1219928
Confirmed for The Nook being awesome. Not sure if St. Paul is worth the drive from Mpls. Summit Ave in STP is also great for old, historic mansiony homes.

Never been to Emily's, shockingly. There's really not much around it, but could be worth dropping in if you have a car, OP. Or, again, biking.
>>
>>1219940
>worth the drive

It's like 10 minutes from the warehouse district you cuck.
>>
File: dudesmadforsomereason.png (358KB, 1202x448px) Image search: [Google]
dudesmadforsomereason.png
358KB, 1202x448px
>>1219942
But he's within walking/biking distance of a ton of stuff.

Also, I said, "I'm not sure if it's worth it." Not, "it's definitely not worth it, don't bother."

Also also, 10 minutes is probably an underestimate. Just took this screenshot at 3:00, so some traffic may have started, but still.

Cuck? Good one. Just having a discussion, man.
>>
File: 20170218_142534.jpg (7MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170218_142534.jpg
7MB, 5312x2988px
>>1219913
>>1219914
>>1219915
>>1219916
>>1219940

Really appreciate the info man. Everyone I've talked to says that downtown is the place to be but that northeast is where all the new things are moving to (which honestly sounds like more where I'd actually want to be). I'm on the st. Paul campus right now and finish at 2:30.

I did a lot of impromptu parking garage shows when I was in undergrad so future classic sounds wicked appropriate. id love some more info on that.

Otherwise you gave me a shitload to do. Again, really appreciate it. I was looking forward to just walking through downtown but now I've got a bit of direction.
>>
File: 1483721098746.jpg (51KB, 506x581px) Image search: [Google]
1483721098746.jpg
51KB, 506x581px
>>1220197
>downtown is the place
Surprised to hear anyone say that. Northeast, Warehouse District/North Loop and Uptown are all way better, IMO. But, I always think it's worth going downtown to a major city at least once while you're in it.

I'll bump later with info on Future Classic.

And remember to definitely stroll along the St. Anthony Main and Stone Arch Bridge (right by each other) on Saturday or Sunday.
>>
File: monsters.jpg (56KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
monsters.jpg
56KB, 512x288px
>>1220197
>>1220224

Acrylic Fabricators
4010 N Washington

Starts at midnight. Goes until around 6-7.
I like to get there at around 1:30 to beat the post bar close rush. (Bars close at 2 in Mpls.)

There's a cover, but all the beer you want inside.

Let me know when you've seen this.
>>
>>1220224
>>1220262
Admittedly most of the people I've been able to ask are older college professors so maybe they haven't been the best info. I chatted up a few boho type girls at the main campus and got more of the northeast hype.

Appreciate the info the address man. Getting excited about getting lost in the city. I'll do my riverwalk tomorrow and see some history. Took a visit to surlys. Y'all have some good beer
>>
>>1218942
Cold and dull, I don't think they have much culture beyond fishing and drinking beer.
>>
File: unnamed-4.jpg (132KB, 1468x1101px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed-4.jpg
132KB, 1468x1101px
>>1220351
Yep you're right. Nothing to do/see here. Spread the word.

Forgot to mention Surly. Glad you found it. Get to Dangerous Man too, if you can.

Say hi to me and my gf if you see us.
>>
>>1220354
Post more photos of your gf's rack

Thanks minnbro
>>
>>1220354
Thx a ton. f I don't get a chance to see u hope you have a wicked time
>>
>>1220385
>>1220394

No problem. $25 cover. Bring extra to tip for the free beer.
>>
>>1220443
Small side door on right hand side of building.
>>
>>1218942
Bump.

Interested in a report on how your time was here.
>>
>>1219915
The fuck are you on about? Everyone should hang out on Broadway and DuPont. Fun for the whole family.
>>
>>1221620
Sure. 50 years ago.
>>
>>1221353
had a great time desu. definitely a serious contender for which program/city to pursue my phd.

desu i didn't do either honey or fabricators as I got roped into some off-campus parties both nights.

still got a chance to check out more of northeast. such a sweet vibe in that area; spent like an hour in the rewind thrift shop and just chatted up cuties at the coffee shops.

i did check out both pyscho suzi's and danger betty's tho. awesome bars. most of saturday was spent thrift shopping and getting tattooed.

really happy with the trip as a whole; sorry i never got around to meeting up with you (assuming youre the guy that dumped the info). ill def be back to mpls and I'll buy you a drink then
>>
How far is North East? I'll be taking that express local bus and staying around Roseville. Anyone know of anything good along the way?
>>
>>1223053

No problem, man. I'm glad you had a great time.

So you did check out the St. Anthony Main/Stone Arch Bridge?

Yes, Northeast is my jam. I've lived there at two different places now.

No worries about not meeting up, but it would have been cool for you to see Future Classic. It's so rare and underground and you just so happened to be here when it was going on.

>ill def be back to mpls and I'll buy you a drink then

Right on. Take care.
>>
>>1223939
Roseville is about 20 minutes East of Northeast Mpls. Stuff to do along the way? I'd just check out this thread for stuff to do in Mpls, or hit up Wikitravel.

There's nothing in Roseville. It's just your average suburb with boring shopping and whathaveyou. If you've never been to Minnesota before, and that's all you see, it would be quite a shame.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.