[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /trv/, I found out this place in Antarctica called the southern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: southernpoleofinaccessibility.jpg (340KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
southernpoleofinaccessibility.jpg
340KB, 800x534px
So /trv/, I found out this place in Antarctica called the southern pole of inaccessibility, and what's there is an abandoned Soviet research station meant to house around 4-15 (I think) that was operational in 1958. I'd like to visit this place somehow but it is difficult. Very few have made it there. It's probably one of the most difficult locations in Antarctica to reach.
But I'd like to visit it. Although the station is buried under a few meters of snow, it would be great just to get there. If I had the money and the time. Who isn't fascinated by the unknown?
>>
>>1218139
>Dying alone in a frozen wasteland
>Fun

Pick one.
>>
I'd say both
>>
>>1218139
/x/ here

Forget about it. Won't happen, not in our current times
>>
>>1218163
>/x/
>knowing anything

go summon your tulpa
>>
We are all Real Travellers (TM) here, but none of us are that real.

While no country can stop you from going to Antarctica to die, no country is going to help you either
>>
>>1218139
OP, where are you from?
I have basically no experience in such travel, but I might be interested in trying it. If it doesn't involve serious money that is.
>>
>>1218139
lol fuck.

I just read the wikipage. I would recommend climbing everest or getting cancer and beating it then attempting this.

Only two groups have been there without mechanical support, that was in 2007 and 2011, unless you're some extremely fit marathon skier who have experience in sub -30 freezing temperatures, I would reconsider.

But how fucking good of a story would it be if you did it?
>>
File: desperate pepe.jpg (21KB, 412x351px) Image search: [Google]
desperate pepe.jpg
21KB, 412x351px
Fascinating really.
I would love to go to Antartica, but given that I live in the Northern Hemisphere and also the cost, I will probably never get to go

>mfw
>>
>>1218767
https://youtu.be/dH573B1bkHI
>>
>>1218167
hey eat my dick faggot.
You cannot go to Antartica right now unless you're a scientist. How hard is that to understand?
>>
File: snowcat.jpg (37KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
snowcat.jpg
37KB, 600x450px
>>1218139
Buy a 1600AG Tucker-Terra Sno-Cat. Will only cost $100,000.
>>
>>1218783
... and who will stop me if I'm not?
>>
>>1219220
The situation will take care of itself.
>>
>>1219220
Licit transport would not be open to you for your purposes. Illicit transport in that part of the world is scarce.
>>
>>1219334
any transport is scarce there. Since antarctica isn't another country, the most I may ever need is a visa of the country owning the part I'll be getting to
>>
>>1219337

Actually given that those claims are not universally recognised, you won't really need that either. Otherwise the Kiwis and Emus would have to arrest all the Yanks who built bases all over their clay, and that's just not happening.
>>
>>1219345
are you sure they didn't simply pay them though?
>>
>>1218822
>>1219227

This. I mean if you have money you can go basically anywhere....visit a deep sea trench, the sky's the limit fly to the moon if you want.

Thing is most people don't have cash for that shit, and those that do typically prefer to chill in their helipad equipped yachts docked in Monaco, drunk off their asses on champagne while kidnapped school girls trafficed from Cambodia suck them off. They're typically too lazy and jaded to give a fuck about discovery, exploration etc.

Only people who want to go Antarctica are scientists and edgy backpackers who feel advebterous. The latter lack the resources to do so, and even if they reached the Antartic could not afford to go far and would be promptly killed by the elements, hence no need to enforce laws that prohibit free travel.

If you really want to go that bad, a master's degree in geology or climatology then fly south with a University's blessing and grants then fly south with a universities blessing and grants then fly cell with a University's blessing and grants, but unless the location you're going to is directly related to your research you're going to have a hard time explaining the location you're going to is directly related to your research your going to have a hard time explaining the location you're going to is directly related to your research you going to have a hard time explaining the location you're going to is directly related to your research you're going to have a hard explaining why you felt the need to check out an abandoned research station.

Tl;dr unless you got a couple million in the bank for proper training and sailing on your own you can't just sneak down there.
>>
You and that guy who wanted to travel to Africa through Syria should go together
>>
>>1219350
Are you fucking retarded? How many people have bought trips to the bottom of the ocean or to the moon? If you think money can buy ANYTHING you've been watching too many movies since there are some things that are just simply impossible
>>
>>1218783

>you can't go to Antarctica unless you're a scientist

wew, somebody doesn't belong here.
>>
>>1218783
for every scientist, there are about ten support staff in the american antarctic stations. They hire many seasonal workers to do regular jobs like mechanics, cooks, drivers, etc. If you know a trade and get a job there, they pay for your flight there and you're there for like 6 months.
>>
>>1219347

I doubt it. That would be a tacit recognition of ownership.
>>
>>1218783
There are adventure cruises that have landings on the Antarctic peninsula, although the season may be over for the year. I've done it.
>>
>>1219461
There are also group tours to the South Pole. Not cheap - it costs around $40000 plus the cost of getting to Punta Arenas in Chile. I think it is possible to go to the abandoned station too, but you will have to charter a plane, so the cost will be much higher. Technically it should be possible - the planes land on the ice directly in Antarctica, you only need to wait for decent weather.
>>
Tour to the South Pole:
https://www.polar-quest.com/trip/fly-to-the-south-pole
>>
>>1219354
Don't forget to bring the kid who goes 23 in a 10 zone
>>
>>1219467
what does it mean?
>>
>>1219372
Two people just bought trips to the moon. The Arctic is pretty freaking accessible if you have the cash, otherwise its not impossible to get there
>>
>>1220064
Are there any flights to Luna for less than 50 million dollars? Skyscanner isn't giving me any results.
>>
>>1220304
you must've typed something wrong. I see them for as cheap as $120 two ways
>>
>>1220064
>>1220304
>>1220305
TOPKEK
>>
>>1218822
>$100,000.
wow that's actually not bad for something like that
>>
>>1218139
"A second Russian team returned there in 1967. Today, a building still remains at this location, marked by a bust of Vladimir Lenin that faces towards Moscow, and protected as a historical site. Inside the building, there is a golden visitors' book for those who make it to the site to sign.[citation needed]"

Go there and confirm this pal
>>
>>1220323
Better check the Kelly Blue Book first...
>>
>>1218822
This fucker street legal? I want to see what McDonald's employees do when I come through the drive-thru.
>>
>>1218822
thats the 1643 (passenger model) you stupid faggot
>>
>>1220304
They purchased them through SpaceX, apparently they cost approximately as much as a trip to the ISS
>>
>>1218485
Everest seems like it would be more challenging, in Antarctica you don't need O2, and there's no risk of altitude sickness.
>>
>>1219372
James Cameron visited the Marianas Trench, there are thousands of other people in the world who could afford to have a personal mini sub built for them too, but they don't because they don't care.
>>
>>1218139
How the hell did they build that in one of the most inhospitable places on the planet's surface?
>>
>>1220345
>This fucker street legal
Isn't that what Canadian soccer mums drive?
>>
>>1221558
Everest has a support base, supply lines, and nearby people for support and rescue.

Antarctica has none of those things, and it takes a hell of a lot longer to get to this base then it does to get to the top of Everest.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.