[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone hiked a yacht here? im planning to move from europe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1474235426442290338.jpg (9KB, 251x323px) Image search: [Google]
1474235426442290338.jpg
9KB, 251x323px
anyone hiked a yacht here? im planning to move from europe to latin america
>>
>>1217231
Why would you bump a thread 30 minutes after its been posted? Read the sticky faggot.
>>
reeeeeee
>>
>hiked a yacht

The fuck am I reading? Might know the answer to your question if I had a clue what it was you were asking.
>>
>>1217721
not OP
hitch-hiking, like taking someone as a crew member for (almost) free
>>
>>1217728
OK, yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.

My sense is that it is almost impossible to do that, but my experience mucking about with pleasure craft on the east coast of the US is about a decade out of date. At that time, owners and captains were a bit concerned about taking on a guy they didn't know or have references for, as there had been a rash of boats being stolen and crews killed by drug runners who needed a boat. Whether that is an issue for boats heading from Europe to SA is something I don't know, but it would not surprise me.

The idea that a boat captain wants to take on some guy with no boat experience who doesn't know how to do jack shit on a boat and put up with him during an ocean crossing is probably a meme rather than a reality -- OP, learn to be useful on a boat.
>>
>>1217739
This. If you have no experience and have a penis then you're likely to find it difficult.
Read beginner guides and learn the names for everything. Go to your local yacht club on race days and start participating in races. If you can afford it, do a crew certification.
Then you can start looking at cruising forums and crewing websites.
Don't pay anything for a bunk on a boat except shared costs eg food & fuel. Most it should be is $10- $15 dollars /day. If you're good crew you shouldn't have to pay anything.
>>
>>1217750
All of this.
You need to get your feet wet. People who don't belong on a boat are a liability to boat and other crew. You need to prove yourself not just a capable sailor, but able to work, able not to be sick, or low temperament for long stretches. They want to know that you won't get cabin fever, horrible attitude, low skills, etc. Gain trust by working hard.

I'm in a singles club for sailing, which sounds like dating, but it's not. It's actually just crew spots on the weekends and for longer sails. It's mostly retired people actually. But, there are other definitions for enthusiast circles. You could start with crewing a dragon boat race team for goodness' sakes. Some people with boats simply hate going out alone. When the shit hits the fan, boating people are kind of out there to have each others backs. If a captain falls ill, can you take over? If you end up in foul weather, can you take over while someone takes a rest? Are you good enough that they don't have to tell you everything to do? Takes some time to get there.

I have been on boats my whole life, but transatlantic? It's not at all on my bucket list. Not even on a luxury liner would I want to do a cruise with more than 1 day of at sea conditions. Island hopping is fine. Being moored is fine, but extended sea days, nope. I'd rather fly. I don't even know what to say beyond the worry you seem to just want to escape your life, through free travel.
>>
op here
in may i will be heading gibraltar, then yacht hike to america.
>>1217739
i have no experience, but i will try my best
wissh me luck xD
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.