[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is it for a Yuropoor to move to Singapore? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_7474.jpg (456KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7474.jpg
456KB, 1920x1080px
How hard is it for a Yuropoor to move to Singapore?

I've got almost a year's experience working in ITSec. Should I just apply for jobs online and expect to be accepted eventually?
>>
You can try that, but also reach out to people to see if they will chat a bit with you. At least in Canada, applying for jobs online means you will never be employed. You have to at least remotely know someone in the company.

So reach out to people in Singapore, especially from alumni from your school (Singapore work visas basically require a university degree from a globally competitive school) and ask about work at their firm and shit like that. Also be like "Hey I noticed this job posting for your firm here. Any ideas on how to make my application more competitive, especially as FT? Is there anything that they really look for?" Later drop a line "Hey thanks for your help answering questions blah blah blah, I just submitted an application blah blah blah". This way the person might put a good word in for you/make HR give you a chance. This will not always work, but you'll have much better success than randomly applying online.
>>
>>1216555
That's pretty solid advice, thanks. Would probably be hard to find someone from my specific school, but that's what LinkedIn is for.

Maybe I should join an expat group on Facebook? People who are about to move here(Denmark) tend to do that.
>>
>>1216482
This might seem like an obvious question, but have you ever actually visited Singapore before?
>>
>>1216563
Yes, albeit briefly. I'm probably going there again this summer/fall (and a bunch of other Asian countries)
>>
>>1216559
Any bit of connection is good. So yeah, if alumni might be hard to find, just look for some Danish people as I'm sure they would like to help out. You can ask them how they got a job in Singapore, why they wanted to move there, if their firm/a firm they know of might be looking for some of the skills you have, and so on.

You could also maybe look for Singaporeans that have done an exchange in Denmark (once again possible with LinkedIn) and talk to them.

Any connection, no matter how small it is, makes people more likely to help you out.

Since you should be heading over there, maybe ask these people if they'd be willing to meet up for kopi to talk. Obviously ask this when your trip is much closer, but this would be a good reason to give a follow up email to anyone you might reach out to soon. This follow up email, and especially trying to chat in person in Singapore, will both show that you are genuinely interested in working in Singapore.
>>
>>1216568
Well i recommend you spend at least a few weeks there before choosing to move there permanently. Considering how it's such a different city to Copenhagen, both climatically and culturally.
>>
>>1216482
are you sure you want to live there? Singapore is pretty but sterile. It lacks a soul if that makes sense. I got a hospital vibe the entire time I was in country.
>>
>>1216668
> Singapore is pretty but sterile. It lacks a soul if that makes sense. I got a hospital vibe the entire time I was in country.
Not OP, but I was in Singapore and for me it was the perfect city. I am from Poland and live in London.

Singapore is clean, organized, has perfect public transport, is 100% safe. And it is ultra-modern.

What is there not to like ?

This ''soul'' thing means nothing to me. It's just an excuse for run down cities like London to justify their dirt and stench.
>>
>>1216683
>What is there not to like ?
Well, the rude, loud Chinese. The unbearably hot, humid climate all day, every day. The knowledge that everything is so much cheaper just a few miles north. Huge malls with nothing interesting in them. An overbearing nanny-state government where you have to constantly think whether you're doing anything illegal. Tiny, expensive accommodation.

Just a few things off the top of my head. By the way, they keep that dirty side you're talking about hidden away from public view. Behind the airport, i believe.
>>
Singapore is hell on earth, it has nothing there.
>>
>>1216573
Yeah, I'll try to visit it a few more times.

>>1216834
We'll, I'm most worried about the climate. I never experienced much rudeness when I was there, everyone seemed to kinda keep to themselves.

The nanny state is what makes me like it. I'm tired of looking at trashed infrastructure, dirty streets, people pissing in corners, etc

>>1216897
Can you please elaborate?
>>
>>1216928
>people pissing in corners
Instead you'll walk down the street and hear the most disgusting noise as an old chinese man gobs his guts all over the pavement in front of you.

The public toilets don't have any toilet paper in them either. Better to have people walk around with shit on their arse than the possibility of some paper defiling the floor.
>>
>>1216933
>The public toilets don't have any toilet paper in them either.

Don;t travel much do you? That's mot uncommon in a large number of countries. So what people do is, and I know this is so complicated it will blow your mind, what they do is they carry their own paper.
>>
>>1216935
Been to plenty of countries around the world and Singapore is the only one anal enough (no pun intended) to do this. Still, the idea of you carrying a bog roll around with you is quite amusing. Like Brad Pitt and his spare toilet seat.
>>
>>1216933
>gobs his guts
Wat
>>
>>1216555
Not op, but this would be good general advice for jumping to Hong Kong, right?
>>
>>1216968
There were a lot of places with no paper in Thailand. Just the hose.

>>1216834
I don't know who you are talking with the rude loud Chinese. The tourists? That problem was much worse a few years ago.
>>
>>1217008
No i mean the Chinese who live there and surround you. Taxi drivers, convenience store clerks etc. Some of the rudest fuckers you'll never want to deal with.
>>
>>1217010
Are you sure it's not just Singlish? It may appear rude if you aren't used to it.
>>
>>1217010
>No i mean the Chinese who live there and surround you. Taxi drivers, convenience store clerks etc. Some of the rudest fuckers you'll never want to deal with.

Again anon here that lives in London and is from Poland.
I think it is cultural difference.
To me they were very polite and I loved their straight to the point, no fake nonsense attitude.

I find people who try to talk to you or start conversation with "how are you" very rude.
A taxi driver needs to drive, a store clerk needs to accept my money and give me receipt.
I don't want taxi driver pretending to be my friend.It is fake and rude.
That's what I loved about Singapore. All people did what was required. Nobody pretended to like me or smile at me, they got on with their work.
>>
>>1217029
I asked a taxi driver for an estimation of a fare from a to b and he started shouting at me that he only cares about the meter and then went on a rant about it being a first-world country. The second one i actually used pressed a button when it got near to the destination and it bumped the fare up. The one convenience store i went in the chink started shouting and demanding to see my passport.

That was my experience of a day in Singapore anyway. At least i know the taxi drivers are probably unemployed now because of Grabcar.
>>
>>1217030
Oh, and on the coach out a fat chink came and sat next to me at the back (coach was completely empty), put his feet over the seat in front and started blasting his chinese music out loud. Coach driver ditched him at immigration thank God.

All of this happened in the space of about 12 hours, by the way. I was pretty glad to get the fuck out of there. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the extremely sad looking polar bear in their 35°C zoo.
>>
>>1216973
Yes. Anywhere really. As a Canadian, obviously my alumni are more based in Toronto, maybe NYC, and to a lesser extent LA/SF. For the few alumni that are in Asia, they really want to see more kids from my school over there. I know of a person who got an immediate interview for a firm in Shanghai, for a job that didn't exist at the time, just because they were in the area and asked if they could meet for coffee/some general advice on the city. He said that this was one of the few people to reach out to them, so he was very eager to help.

And if you do not find alumni, any sort of remote connection (anywhere in the world) is infinitely better than dropping an application online. So do your best to set up some chats whether they be through email, skype, phone, in person, etc. Anything is better than nothing.
>>
itt. people who never went to singapore spouting random memes about mainland chinks
>>
File: IMG_7511.jpg (61KB, 600x749px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7511.jpg
61KB, 600x749px
>>1217055
Ok, can you enlighten us then? Not being sarcastic, genuinely want to know.
>>
>>1217087
NOt that guy, but what do you want to know. I have described Singapore before as a nice place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit there. Have you read the other Singapore thread at all?
>>
>>1217091
Nah, haven't looked at it, guess I will.

Can you talk about what the people are actually like there? I don't believe this Chinese=uncivilized maymay.
>>
>>1217046
thanks based anon, doesn't look like my uni has a very big presence in Asia, but it's a good start.
>>
>>1217128
Try to find people from your town, which might be easy if you're from a big one. If you're from a small town and find someone you will have hit a gold mine. Other than that, just look for people from your country in general. All of these people can be found via LinkedIn + Google.

This kind of connection makes it very easy to reach out to people. You can ask them how why they wanted to move from your country to HK, if they like it so far, how did they go about making the move, etc.

You can also try finding kids from HK that did an exchange to your school if you still have not come across anyone yet.
>>
>>1217103
Singaporeans, even those of Chinese descent, don't consider themselves Chinese and look down on Chinese. English is the most widely spoken language. In public or at home. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore#Languages
>>
>>1217132
Yeah, I know that, but what are they like in person? As in, do they generally behave like Europeans or Asians or whatever the fuck else?
>>
>>1217207
Not him, but they are Westernized Asians that are more Asian than Western. That is a weird way to describe it, but that is my best guess at it.
>>
>>1217300
But are they really rude/loud?
>>
>>1217345
That sort of thing is determined by the culture where you live, not your ethnic background. Chinese live around the world but only the mainland chinese have a problem with politeness.
>>
>>1216897
>Singapore is hell on earth, it has nothing there.

I think it would be fine to live there. Lots of bars and general entertainment. Not a good tourist attraction, but with a nice job and a few friends it would be good i think.
>>
>>1217345
They aren't rude, just autistic. They aren't loud when speaking English, it's just that Mandarin sounds like yelling.
>>
File: IMG_7556.jpg (91KB, 564x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7556.jpg
91KB, 564x1024px
>>1217357
>>1217390
Okay, that sound fine to me. At the very least not worse than what I already have to deal with.
>>
>>1217207
Not >>1217132 and I've only spent about 2 weeks in Singapore, but I found Singaporeans very easy to get along with.

Unlike my experiences in mainland China, people would wait in queues, give each other personal space similar to Westerners, they don't litter or spit, and would speak with inside voices when inside.

They don't act 100% like Westerners, but I didn't find myself in a huge culture shock unlike other cities in Asia.

I found the city very fascinating and very liveable. I'd seriously consider living there if I ever got over my hatred of hot tropical environments
>>
>>1217411
Yeah, the climate is the main thing that worries me.
>>
You could work for a place that has an office in Singapore and then try to transfer/move jobs to there.
>>
>>1217940
Takes too long and not reliable enough. I imagine I'd have a higher chance of success sending out CVs.
>>
https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/?keyword=&Location=Singapore&AutoCompleteSelected=true
>>
>>1218023
I'm from Yurop m8
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.