[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv, I will be in Ireland for 6 days in early may. Are there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: 260px-Ireland_(MODIS).jpg (29KB, 260x358px) Image search: [Google]
260px-Ireland_(MODIS).jpg
29KB, 260x358px
Hey /trv, I will be in Ireland for 6 days in early may. Are there things I should know? My plan is to go to lots of pubs and breweries, the nature is interesting for me too. I will land in Dublin but I'd like to go to smaller cities and villages too. What do you guys reccomend?
>>
No one?
>>
>>1216039
Six days is tight.
Ideally you do one day and night in Dublin, pick up your rental car and hit up some villages, one or two a day, enjoying a pub night and some ruins or a museum, while you do the B&B which should be quite easy to wing it (except Fri/Sat nights in say Kilkenny where there could more no vacanies without some planning). Then, you fly out of Shannon. I would say you need 7 days to do 50% of the country, whether you go north or south on this trip is preference. I prefer the Southern half myself. Southern half has Midleton distillery tour (Jameson), and Dublin of course has Guinness.
>>
>>1216126
Thank you! The flights are booked already, I arrive on the 3rd in the evening and leave on 9th noon.

I thought about doing a two or three day trip to surrounding areas and stay in the city for the rest of the week.

Can you recommend some nice places not too far away from Dublin? Maybe max. 5 hour ride by car or train.
>>
>>1216039
No one recommends the trains. Self-drive cars allow you to go ooooh, look at that sign, let's stop at these ruins, veer off the path, take a cliff walk, see some old church, and then use your GPS to get back to the road.

I think if you look at Rick Steves, you'll find his guidebook miles better than any other Ireland guides. Peek at an itinerary and realize you're going to have to backtrack to Dublin to leave now. Take a look at this site that shows the problem of short visits and getting clear to the west coast for lovely dingle and other goodies. https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/ireland/itinerary

1) Dublin is only good for a night, max two. What you want to do is visit Guinness, visit Book of Kells, shop, hear live music, dine and drink in Temple Bar neighborhood. I recommend Boxty House for dinner. If you are a literary scholar type, you'd enjoy an organized pub crawl of author haunts, esp if alone.
2) The surrounding SE area is nice. You can visit the Powerscourt Estate (now a ritz carlton), which is an example of Ireland before deforested. Good for a garden walk and lunch or breakfast. In the Wicklow mountains, go to St. Kevins hermit cave and ruins of monastery.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_of_Glendalough
3) Kilkenny is a medieval town. Has an abbey, townhouse, cathedral, castle, tall tower to climb, smithwicks brewery, and a lot of natural and other interests that could stretch into two or more days.
>>
File: dead zoo moar.jpg (29KB, 432x327px) Image search: [Google]
dead zoo moar.jpg
29KB, 432x327px
>>1216039
Took my wife and kids a few years ago, got a car after two nights in Dublin and drove to Galway, ran out to the Aran islands, then up to Westport and Sligo, on to Donnegal, day-tripped into NI to see the Giants' Causeway and 'Derry, then back to Dublin with a stop at Slane for the ancient monuments and Tara. My memory is that was about 12-14 nights, so more time than you have got, but if you are headed to any of those areas there is a chance I can answer a question about it. Didnot see the SWern part of the island, but the w and NW and N were great. If you like bad taxidermy at all, spend an hour in "The Dead Zoo" in Dublin -- the Museum of Natural History
>>
File: dublin dead zoo.jpg (52KB, 677x508px) Image search: [Google]
dublin dead zoo.jpg
52KB, 677x508px
>>1216176
>"The Dead Zoo" in Dublin -- the Museum of Natural History

The Happiest Dead Place on Earth.
>>
>>1216039
G A L W A Y
>>
File: 5165165164845636363.jpg (348KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
5165165164845636363.jpg
348KB, 1440x810px
>>1216039
>>
File: ireland.jpg (464KB, 1300x774px) Image search: [Google]
ireland.jpg
464KB, 1300x774px
Thanks for all the input!

I made a provisional map with some of the landmarks and cities you recommended.

How many time should I plan for Glendalough and the cliffs of moher?
>>
>>1216307
how many time. my english.exe didn't work.
>>
>>1216307
I just checked some car rental websites, apparently I'm too young to rent a car. I got a license for nearly 6 years now, but I must be at least 25 years old. Are there any alternatives?
>>
>>1216307
>How many time should I plan for Glendalough and the cliffs of moher?
I dont know about Glendalough but Cliffs of Mother shouldn't take that long, just enjoy the Wild Atlantic Way coming down from Galway to them
>>
>>1216039
Northern Irlenad, I hope
>>
>>1216495
Is there anything else to see than Belfast?
>>
>>1216309
>Are there any alternatives?
Contact one of the companies, ask if they know of anybody who rents to people under 25. Unless it is a legal restriction, there is probably somebody filling that business niche, but their prices may be high.

Invite somebody 25 to join you.

Dat bus.
>>
>>1216309
You can probably convince them to let you rent a lower car with additional fees
>>
>>1216588
I contacted some of them. They can't give cars to people under 25. Do you know about other options, like motorbike or quad? I'd even use a 50ccm scooter if I have to.
>>
File: 464.jpg (119KB, 897x733px) Image search: [Google]
464.jpg
119KB, 897x733px
>>1216307

You are literally just driving though a pile of swamp there
>>
Get a car and go to cork, fuck dublin, its just a big city. Go cork I recommend the city, blarney, clonakilty, and all the way to mizin head google that shit and see if you'ee into that sort of thing. Galway is a laugh and you could see conamara and stuff. 1 night dublin, 2-3 nights cork. 2-3 nihts galway. Done
>>
>>1216307
A few hours for Glendalough. The actual place is pretty small, though you might want to take in some of the surrounding countryside while you're there
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.