[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I'm going to be visiting Rome for a few weeks.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: Wallet piracy.jpg (70KB, 468x449px) Image search: [Google]
Wallet piracy.jpg
70KB, 468x449px
Hey guys, I'm going to be visiting Rome for a few weeks. I'm interested in seeing the tourist-ey areas, so I'm worried about falling victim to pick-pocketing by gypsies. How do I avoid that?
>>
File: rejectdecadence.png (577KB, 1100x1100px) Image search: [Google]
rejectdecadence.png
577KB, 1100x1100px
If you're American one thing i'd suggest is don't be nice. What i mean by this is that many Americans are the type to get guilted by homeless beggars or petition takers or whatever. With gypsies, they respect strength and cunning. Don't let them touch you, or get near you, and sure one could sneak up behind you but in my experience in crowded tourist districts is they'll often bump into people straight on.

People sell all sorts of corny things, I think rick steve's sells a wallet pouch that goes under your shit that could be effective, but ive read mixed reviews about it.

My personal tactic is to be super aware of my surroundings, keep my wallet and phone in front pockets and inconspicuously brush my wallet with part of my arm as I walk by to make sure it's still there.

One thing you will notice is that when people know they are going into a pickpocket area, they will literally pat where their things are and make it very obvious to scouts who has what. Just don't do that and you won't get sized up as easily. Don't be afraid to just body check those little bastards when they try to play chicken with you.
>>
>>1214902
I'm fat (though losing weight thanks to /fit/ and /ck) and have an unmistakable American accent. How screwed am I?
>>
File: solaire of astoria.jpg (41KB, 600x661px) Image search: [Google]
solaire of astoria.jpg
41KB, 600x661px
>>1214903
>I'm fat (though losing weight thanks to /fit/ and /ck) and have an unmistakable American accent. How screwed am I?
parli italiano? si non, perche non?

You're not screwed dude just keep your wits about you and your gear tight. Think of gyps as a video game, crash bandicoot or something.
>>
>>1214904
>parli italiano? si non, perche non?
I'm afraid I speak no Italian other than swear words and how to call for the police.
>>
>>1214896
haha, I remember gypsies in rome

I'l lay it out for you man really simply
1. they won't treat you with civility, don't feel obliged to treat them with civility
if they mill around you or block your way tell them out loud to fuck off, locals will often back you
assertive not aggressive is the key
2. they will often try to sus out a target in advance, so don't engage with them in any way
"do you need directions" = go away gypsy
"hey man hey man" = go away gypsy
3. they are professional beggars, not destitute
never give them money
4. to avoid pick-pockets the number one thing is vigilance on the metro, they basically live on the metro trying to steal wallets; but they are also around in crowds and markets
5. wallet always in an INTERNAL pocket, NEVER put ANYTHING in a back pocket; money belts do work
6. bags are easier than pockets, it looks stupid to wear a backpack on your chest but it also works
7. be wary of snach&grabs, phones and cameras in particular
8. if you ever see a gypsy doing something unusual, guard your valuables

common tactics include creating an obstruction in a crowd to pack people in tightly, hanging around ticket machines/stalls to see where people put the wallet, trying to steal things as people enter/exit a train

I have personally stopped two pickpocketings of americans in the one week I was in rome
I don't know what it is about americans but they all have massive wallets and they always keep them in their back/coat pocket
I was tempted to steal one myself
>>
>>1214896
If the weather is cool enough, it's great just to wear a crossbody underneath a zipped jacket. That's what I do. You also have to avoid crowds that might swarm you. AVOID at all costs. Loud "get away from me" language might help if they approach you. The answer is always no. Do not entertain their conversation for a moment, because it gets them into your personal space and distracts you from their 2nd buddy or whatever else. You're not obligated to be polite to strangers.

It might help to look like a local, not carry much on you, and leave the flashy stuff at home. Don't be cheap, where you take risks in order to save money.

In general, I might pop into stores if I'm followed. I might only retrieve money while in a bathroom stall, to a pocket for a little spending cash, and never ever show where my wallet is located in public, not at a cash register, or to pay to bill at a dinner table. It's all about discretion. I wouldn't worry about it, but I wouldn't keep all your nest egg in one place. Be safe in your hotels too.

The biggest problem I had in Rome are ripoff taxi drivers that like to quote a new price as you exit the vehicle. Ask up front, or use a taxi from your hotel. Also, you should not eat anywhere without prices on the menu.
>>
>>1214937
>taxi drivers

the universal tourist rip-off, I remember reading victorian era travelers complaining about dishonest drivers
>>
>>1214922

This - a money belt is really all you need.

Keep only a small amount of cash accessible (under 50 euro) and one credit card. You should use cards for most of your purchases if you can.
>>
Don't wear clothes with shallow pockets and always keep your hands by them. Sometimes they may bump into you in an attempt to get you to move your hands from your pockets to they can grab something.

Ideally keep cash in a different place to your cards, keep your bank's phone number with the cash in case you need them cancelled.

Do not get your phone out unless you are completely aware of your surroundings and are able to see anyone who could run up and grab it.

Generally speaking, if you look like you know whats up and are on guard, they won't attempt it, not when there are less risky targets.

Beware of scams: "I found this gold ring on the floor, yours for €20" (it's a €0.5 copper piece of shit), "I can't get home as I lost my wallet, lend me €50, you can have my phone in case I can't repay you" (congrats, that's been reported as a stolen phone).
>>
>>1214922
>it looks stupid to wear a backpack on your chest but it also works
I've seen a lot of Chinese people do this, both in my home country and in places where there's a lot of Chinese tourists.

It's good to know they've got one thing right, at least.
>>
>>1214902
I second the advice about homeless beggars. I notice Americans are generally really stupid with beggars, they'll say sorry and look at them when that only encourages their behavior. Really you should only give them money as you're leaving on a bus or whatever if at all. Also never really look at them.

Sounds mean but this is how you need to do things there.
>>
>>1214896

just keep an eye out like you normally would.

also don't be afraid to be fucking aggressive to gypsies, they expect and Italians will join in because they know them to be subhumans who bother tourists
>>
File: velcro2.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
velcro2.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
>>1214896
For the sufficiently paranoid, it takes ten minutes to sew some Velcro across the op of a pocket, and keep your shit there. Scientists have proven that it is impossible to open a Velcro pocket without a god-awful noise.
>>
>>1216567
>Scientists have proven that it is impossible to open a Velcro pocket without a god-awful noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSK3maq8Cyk
>>
>>1214896
Don't look like retarded free money tourist victim, that's all.
Wallet belongs to the front pocket, wear no expensive Jewellery or watches, don't bring your fucking fanny pack, leave your shitty "I'm le photographer" DSLR at home unless you know what you're doing, dress like a normal person, leave your top tier smartphone at home as a fucking Samsung S5 is god enough for your autism travel pics and nobody wants to steal that.
>>
>>1216729
>leave your shitty "I'm le photographer" DSLR at home unless you know what you're doing
That's a shame. I was actually intending on upgrading my camera before my next trip. A DSLR is certainly more expensive than a standard point-and-shoot, but there are many that aren't life-ruiningly expensive.

>leave your top tier smartphone at home as a fucking Samsung S5 is god enough for your autism travel pics and nobody wants to steal that.
lel, an S5 is only like 2-3 generations old, it's still very much stealable. Now, if we're talking something really old, like something that still has a 2-digit quantity of buttons, THAT would be undesirable.
>>
>>1216732
It's not the DSLR, it's the lenses you carry with you that are worth the money. If you just bring a standard lens you could as well carry a disposable cam.

A S5 is $120, it's a fucking disposable phone that looks so generic nobody cares about it.
>>
>>1216710
That guy is obviously not a real scientist.
>>
>>1216729
If you leave shit that you'd want to have with you at home, because you are afraid, then the terrorists win.
>>
>>1216732

He's full of shit, look on Google maps and photos of how many people have expensive cameras, you think all of them got robbed?

Just keep it close to you and in crowded areas make sure you're aware while taking photos.

Snatch and grab is kind of difficult, so they'll do it as a last resort. Phones are far easier targets although being able to lock out makes them possibly less rewarding.
>>
If approached by gipsies or brown people, just raise your right air with open palms and scream "Viva il Duce!" they will scram and also you'll gain friendship with italian bros.
This also works with taxi drivers, just inform them that you root for Lazio tean and fucking love mussolini and they'll treat you super nice.
>>
You guys are all paranoid as fuck. I've been to Roma multiple times and never got robbed or anything, nor did I spent every single moment there watching my back. Sure, there ARE alot of pickpockets about but you'll be fine as long as you follow all the basic tips that have been told a thousand times before. Keep your shit in your front pockets and keep your hands in your pockets as much as you can when on the metro. I'm a big, bald fucking guy though. I'm not exactly a welcoming target.
>>
I have one of those hidden money pouches that hooks on your belt and flips over into your pants, but I only use that if I'm end route to lodgings and have all my stuff on me. Otherwise I just carry a credit card and enough cash for the day, ID and phone and try to keep everything in either my front pocket, buttoned shirt pocket or zippered jacket pocket.

As for cameras, I keep mine on a sturdy leather neck strap with metal hooks and make sure it's slung securely. If you're really paranoid about it, you can get a strap with wire sewn into it so it can't be slashed.
>>
>>1217417
yeah lmao
making it sound like it's some fucking game of survival over there

there is only one advice you need: don't be a fucking retard
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.