[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For an American board , I am always surprised how few mexico

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 17

File: mex_michelada_puerto_azul.jpg (157KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
mex_michelada_puerto_azul.jpg
157KB, 700x525px
For an American board , I am always surprised how few mexico threads there are here.
Guys its right next door and its on sale cheap as fuck. Its awesome down here and I almost never see a fellow american.
Canadians and germans love this place.
Why not come a have a few micheladas?

I have seen mezcal as cheap as 1 usd per liter.
Food is fresh and cheap , fresh fish every day.
The tourist spots that used to be filled with americans have only europeans now and are pretty empty.
I dont get it
>>
File: godzilla attacking tulum mexico.jpg (39KB, 811x608px) Image search: [Google]
godzilla attacking tulum mexico.jpg
39KB, 811x608px
>>1214514
It may be that such Americans as go there don;t feel the need to look for advice on /trv/?

I've been a few times, it's perfectly fine, I like SA better, but to each his own.
>>
>>1214518
Many places are arguably better, but you cant easily drive to them.
Bringing my own vehicle is making this the cheapest vacation I have ever had and its been as fun as any of them.
>>
>>1214522
Fair enough -- where I live in the USA, you can;t really easily drive to Mexico either. I mean, you can, but it is a long ass way, smarter to fly. And once I am flying, for my money Id rather hit Colombia or Ecuador. Not to say I would turn down another opportunity to go to Mexico...
>>
I have been to Mexico countless times. I would say Cozumel and Cabo are my favorites. I do feel like if you get out of the tourist areas, you run some risk of getting into a bad situation. And I would tell people to stay clear of the boarder towns especially at night.

Definitely a destination for a fun weekend on the cheaper side, more that the "real" traveler backpacking and emersion into the culture.
>>
Feel like hitting up Tijuana to fuck some sluts and great food for cheap. Then go down to Mexico city or some shit
>>
>>1214514
I'm in LA and I've only been to mexico on cruises. Never been to the major tourist cities though. I haven't heard anything great about vacations to mexico... aren't most resorts known for being like 90% dudes?

Also heard there isn't much to do besides lounging on the beach or renting jet skis or ATVs.

Any places youd recommend?
>>
>>1214514
You don't get why Americans started to avoid Mexico? A LOT of Americans got scared away with the Cartel war that was going on. My ball and chain's family is from El Paso, and shit legitimately got scary for a while. It got bad enough that we just wouldn't cross the border because it wasn't worth the risk. Which sucks because there used to be a lot of good times to be had in Juarez. I know it's better now, and not every area was as bad as Juarez, but that shit frightens people away, and it takes a long time for them to feel comfortable enough to go back.
>>
>>1214564

Just avoid the border and hotspots and you'll be fine
>>
>>1214534
Where did you go in cabo that was fun?
I have been there a few times for supplies in the last month but nothing really made me want to explore.
Should I give it another shot?
>>
>>1214564
Juarez was the worst spot in the world at one point and even then i dont think any tourists had problems.
>>
Is the Yucatan a good choice for my first time to Latin America? I know it is very safe in the tourist areas, but what about outside of them?
>>
>>1214587
>Where did you go in cabo that was fun?
I have been there a few times for supplies

Could you explain more about this?
>>
>>1214840
There is a big walmart and some high end fishing stores there.
Just supplies mate.
I am beach camping and fishing in the east cape
>>
>>1214586
I know that. I'm not claiming Mexico as a whole is particularly dangerous. I even think the areas around the border are safer than they were even a few years ago. I'm just trying to explain why people started avoiding Mexico more than they used to.

>>1214745
Tourists had a couple problems in Juarez.
>>
File: near cancun isla blanca.jpg (58KB, 812x610px) Image search: [Google]
near cancun isla blanca.jpg
58KB, 812x610px
>>1214821
>Is the Yucatan a good choice for my first time to Latin America?

Certainly could be. What are you looking for out of the experience of being there? What sort of things interest you about Latin America?

>I know it is very safe in the tourist areas, but what about outside of them?

I spent some time in the non-tourist areas around Cancun last year, it was fine. Then went to the more touristy areas around the big Mayan ruins, because I wanted to see them -- that was fine too.
>>
>>1214543
thinking of doing the same maybe one month or two
dollar vs peso is nice atm
>>
Yeah, USD vs Peso is fucking hilarious right now, you can just come reap the shit out of this place.
Sure it's criminalistic and shit like that but tourism is rarely affected and they actually reinforce security and globalization in high-income areas, Mexico City is basically a shittier mirrored LA if you don't go to the ghetto tier places.
Europeans are asians are ALL over the place.
>>1214850
Most tourist places are completely fine (on average), just avoid Guerrero- Acapulco like the fucking plague.
>>
Sup

Me and three friends are going to Mexico city for 7 days during spring break.

So far thinking of staying at a centro historico neighborhood bnb.

So far we planned three days of exploring the city, shopping, getting some good food and checking out some museums and churchs. 1 day to check out Teohuatican pyramids. Admittedly our plans are still vague.

Any suggestions or tips on what to do and where to go?

Also how much Spanish do we need to know. One friend is mexican american so he should have at least fluency in conversation. But when hes not there, can I get by with basic spanish that I learned in high school.
>>
>>1214522

I live in Michigan.

Driving to Mexico would take the better part of a week. However, I will be flying there in another few months. I've already booked a flight to the capital and will arrive on June 26th. I'm leaving about three and a half weeks later to catch a plane from New York to Tanzania.

Not really sure what to do or where to go in Mexico. Biggest draw for me is the food, honestly. I've been to Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Colombia, and enjoyed each place, but am not sure what to expect from Mexico.
>>
>>1214877
When do you plan on going? I'm really fucking bored and not in college atm. Just want to fuck sluts and see new people and places. Still need to find a job so I can get more money. Just have a few hundred saved.
>>
>>1215410
not sure pretty soon i imagine tired of my shitty minimum wage jobs just got back from Brazil
I'll need to save a few more paychecks probably between march and June will probably stay 3-5 weeks
>>
>>1214514
I <3 Mexico. I spent the 70s and 80s going to Mexico City every other weekend like a millionaire (the peso was devalued daily). I was there during the huge 8.0 earthquake that wrecked the DF in 1985 and it was a mess for a long time, with tent cities all over.

As a tiny child, I went often to Tijuana and the historical expat enclaves such as Acapulco. I drove up and down Baja California to/from Ensenada every time I was in San Diego. I took the Copper train more than once.

When I was younger, you could avoid crime by your worldly street smarts, immediately spotting nefarious individuals in markets, or unwanted attention. There was good police presence in touristed shopping districts, stores, historic sights. Then it because the police you probably had to fear, and my car was often pulled over for hard cash. I quit going often as I watched crime unfold from random money needs to more violent and unnecessarily violent. Then when you constantly heard it about from friends to the point it simply wasn't worth it anymore. I would say it was over in about '92-'94 entirely, except to touristed areas in Cozumel and the Yucatan. But by then the USD was stronger in places it wasn't before, and so travel to Europe was suddenly cheaper again, so may a cycle for others that way too. It got to the point where no matter what hotel you used, you could feel being followed, or heard about expats friends of family getting kidnapped. The most frightening is the missing. If I was mexican looking in any way? Maybe I might have gone back and could have enjoyed incognito blending in with very cautious moves, but I'm very tall, light and blonde.

I still have a place in my heart, I really even feel part Mexican since it was so much of my life. But, I love Mexican immigrants in the same way, and I dine and shop at their US businesses just like they're family. It's just much safer to hit up CR or Panama today. You probably should as well.
>>
>>1215028
>Me and three friends are going to Mexico city for 7 days
Sorry bud, no idea the neighborhood vibes (or safety) anymore so can't comment on your bnb choice, but to say that most tourists want evening safety, not business district stuff. Polanco and Condesa are popular. I almost always stay off Reforma, nice and close to Chapultepec, usually at the Galeria Plaza on Hamburgo. The major luxury mexican hotel chains are pretty nice, from Camino Real to a dozen other local brands, and 4star. Walk out the door and you had a nice evening dinner and shopping district zona rosa
You see these top restaurants on this map? Good hotels are nearby.
http://www.eater.com/maps/best-new-restaurants-mexico-city

What to do for 7 days?
1 day Teotihuacan (2hr each way). Use a driver from your hotel like a personal guide. You could alternately stay overnight at the hotel at the pyramids and enjoy the early morning tranquility at the site after a nice brunch, or the evening laser show when the sun goes away and the wind whistles through the buildings eerily. Being there without crowds is nice.
http://en.mxcity.mx/2016/05/teotihuacan-tours/

The typical stuff you do want to do is:
MUST: Chapultepec park: natural history and the castilo! Required. Check out the goyas and the Alamo flag with bulletholes in it. Optionally, your interest in art museums and the zoo's upclose old fashioned collection (of course, fantastic street food and people watching throughout the day).

Zoocalo stuff: Folklorico show at the Palacio Bellas Artes (you'll die if you sit in the balcony), and a look at the murals. Eat good food nearby, maybe pop into a Sanborns for nostalgia, or get some al pastor tacos.
Food #1
http://fondaelrefugio.com.mx/
Second is to get into the historical http://www.fodors.com/world/mexico-and-central-america/mexico/mexico-city/restaurants/reviews/restaurante-san-angel-inn-37366
Include the Frida Kahlo house and museum right around the block.
>>
>>1215477
You are statistically necer going to have any problems in mexico.
You became paranoid listening to the gringo rumor mill.
Todays expats laugh at your generation.
>>
>>1215448
Why not get better jobs? If you just learn some simple skills , you will work less and make more.
>>
>>1215794
Like what?
>>
File: 1487459603827.jpg (4MB, 3500x3500px) Image search: [Google]
1487459603827.jpg
4MB, 3500x3500px
mexico in general
>>
File: 1487472456308.png (4MB, 1228x1230px) Image search: [Google]
1487472456308.png
4MB, 1228x1230px
mexico city
>>
File: 1487460090713.jpg (2MB, 1700x1415px) Image search: [Google]
1487460090713.jpg
2MB, 1700x1415px
mexican food
>>
>>1215796
Learn to drive a truck.
1000 bucks a week.
>>
>>1215836
>>1215794
was thinking of learning plumbing or something I don't like driving
>>
File: 1394142095474.gif (198KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1394142095474.gif
198KB, 640x360px
>>1214885

>tfw mexican
>trying to travel with the current peso

I hope Trump fucks up a bit the dollar, I need it
>>
>>1215483

Thanks for the suggestions and tips. Ill check them all out.

Well we did book the airbnbs and stuff. We're college students so not trying to spend too much.

By the way hows the bars and breweries in mexico city? Any knowledge about them? And whether theyre worth it. My friend and I like trying out new beers and breweries.
>>
>>1216026
Not many hookers in the brew pubs to be honest.
Not sure where to send you.
>>
>>1216692

Uhhhhh i dont want hookers at brew pubs. I just want to know some good brew pubs to just down beer with my mate
>>
>>1216823
You think your too good to bang hookers?
>>
>>1215982
You should see what the hookers cost inna usa and thats IF you can even find one.
>>
The cartel violence are just feuds between rival cartels, they don't really hurt tourists except on very rare occasions. And petty crimes (muggings, etc) are much rarer than they are in places like Brazil and Colombia that are bigger backpacker destinations.

FWIW Yucatan is a really strange place as far as latin america is concerned, especially in Cancun/Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen. They're highly americanized and not all that interesting, just places to dive and go to the beach. Totally different feel from the rest of Mexico.

>>1215028
Stay in Condesa or Roma, not centro historico. Much better and plenty of AirBnBs around. You don't really need spanish... your basic spanish from high school will be useless but people will know at least a little english.

Safety isn't a real problem at all. I've been in DF for a couple weeks now and never seen anything remotely sketchy. People walk around at night with their phones out in the rich neighborhoods, I walk around on empty streets all the time... it's really just not an issue.
>>
Any info on Mazatlan? I'm headed there tomorrow for Carnaval, for at least a few days, with no plans after.

Any cool places to go around that area? Looking for a place that's fairly tranquil and nice, that either has easy local girls on Tinder or readily available hookers, and isn't too overwhelmingly touristy. I speak decent spanish so that's not an issue.
>>
>>1217335
>I speak decent spanish

Then you should be fine. Currently in Puerto Vallarta which I think is 5 hours away from Mazatlan, and my main problem with ladies is they barely speak english (most speak none) and my spanish is garbage.
Which means I have to visit the local brothel every 3 days so I can empty my balls for 50$ US an hour
>>
Does anyone remember the female anon who was looking for help finding her bf in Mexico and then he turned up dead?
>>
>>1217403
No, story?
>>
File: 1438076416319s[1].jpg (8KB, 172x250px) Image search: [Google]
1438076416319s[1].jpg
8KB, 172x250px
>>1217440
>>1217403
http://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/1013815/#1013815
>>
>>1214514
I think a lot of Americans still associate Mexico with vomit-spewing college kids on Spring Break so they are more inclined to go elsewhere in Latin America
>>
>>1214514
where is into fuck in mexico?
>>
>>1217452
So the guy died from a heart attack and nobody helped him because he didn't speak Spanish.

http://www.sdpnoticias.com/local/ciudad-de-mexico/2015/07/28/muere-de-un-infarto-en-paseo-de-la-reforma
>>
>>1217456
What are you asking exactly?
>>
>>1216896

Another time maybe idk.
>>
>>1217334
Thanks. we already booked the airbnbs. We're going to stay at center historico for a few days then in condesa for a few days.

I would like to use Spanish though. I've been reviewing and practicing Spanish about a hr a day. Reading a textbook, Duolingo and shitposting on spanish /int/ threads. I probably will still have shit spanish, but I figure that it may be slightly useful.

Ok that's good to hear about safety. I won't worry much about it then. What about scams? I hear some taxis can rip you off. What about buying stuff at the mercados?

Thanks appreciate it man
>>
>>1217559
Report back about the hookers
>>
>>1215489
>Todays expats laugh at your generation.
I was talking from the point of view of all expats, todays and yesterdays.
>>
File: sangrita.jpg (84KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
sangrita.jpg
84KB, 640x427px
>>1216026
>By the way hows the bars and breweries in mexico city? Any knowledge about them?
The mexican beers will be enough of "new" on their own. It's just not the thing to do. Enjoy the ability to try delicious lager by the dozens, unknown levels of non-export beers, and the tequila bars is where you should hang out.

Make sure to have sangrita as your tequila chaser, not lime or salt.
>>
>>1218498
Well your info is way outdated.
Posting from las barilles right meow.
If the wifi was working in this little bar, i would spare the bandwidth to send a picture.
>>
>>1218509
Your level of concern for your life, or your anecdotal evidence doesn't mean it's the reality of true risk. There will always be that guy who does that thing that will not be okay for the masses. I'd love to see if you're a tall blonde like myself, as you "blend in" over there. I'd love to know if you have friends, journalists and actually anyone that you know that even talks to expats...ever. Maybe you just have no money.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/doliaestevez/2015/05/04/narcoviolence-in-jalisco-home-to-largest-group-of-americans-in-mexico-a-serious-concern/#13f60a6c2bf3
https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/619057/twelve-pictures-that-show-why-mexico-is-one-of-the-most-dangerous-countries-on-the-planet/
https://www.cuencahighlife.com/some-mexico-expats-head-for-the-exit-as-drug-wars-heat-up-some-go-home-others-relocate-to-other-latin-american-countries/
>>
>>1218520
Jesus man there are fucking tons of expats of all shapes and sizes here.
I just met a guy from northern california who is 6'8"
He lives in a sprinter van that is custom built so he can stand up.
He has been all over mexico and central america for a year and a half.
He told me he heard someone in baja had a bike stolen.
Thats it in 18 months of travel.
Its pretty rare that anyone gets fucked with.
The canadians and germans here all think americans are pussies for staying home.
>>
>>1218520
How about statistics on toyrists being victimized?
Once in a blue moon, it happens but its very rare.
>>
>>1214821
Yucatan's murder rate is pretty low, so I'm assuming it's safe
>>
>>1217465
>>1217452
Yes, it was just odd watching it play out live on /trv/ of all places
>>
>>1217559
>shitposting on spanish /int/ threads
This sounds like a brilliant way to learn the spanish.
Mind if i join you?
>>
Bum
>>
>>1218491
Not much in the way of hookers in Mexico City, unfortunately. There was a big cleanup campaign a while back that seemed to have worked. Now you have to call an agency, take them to a motel, all of that bullshit.
>>
Any info on the Oaxaca coast? It sounds like the most peaceful and genuinely enjoyable mexican beach destination there is, but is it ruined by wannabe hippie bullshit?

I'm thinking of heading down there in a couple days.

Also really interested if someone has a suggestion for a good, low-key hangout on the beaches or the mountains around Mexico. So far the Yucatan has been way too touristy and crowded, same with Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan.
>>
>>1220086
What about Tijuana?
>>
>>1220093
Elsewhere it's fine. I just fucked a massage girl on the west coast and in Guadalajara. And Tijuana is fine and full of hookers like normal. Just Mexico City has gone underground.

I think there might be some laws against it in DF?
>>
>>1220087
I was just talking to a stripper in a small town in baja about this very subject.
She and many other hookers left the city .
She says its the presidents deal.
She says he would rather have the city be full of gay bars than let her turn a few tricks to feed her family.
She was indignant.
It was cute.
>>
>>1220104
What are the rates like in tj?
>>
>>1219245

Go for it. No one will stop you.

Unfortunately you most quickly learn the bad words or slangs such as tiraflechas, sudacas and shit.
>>
>>1220237
Check InternationalSexGuide for all the info
>>
>>1220274
Damn, site is blocked :(
>>
>>1220236
I think you meant to quote >>1220104
>>
>>1220237
60 to 80 I hear. A place called Hong Kong and another that starts with an A are popular. With HK being the classier and more expensive choice. HK has a website
>>
Has anyone been to Puerto Peñasco (aka Rocky Point)? I've got nothing to do during my spring break, and it seems to be a short drive from Phoenix. Would it be worth driving there to check out? Is there anything special I should know about driving in Mexico?
>>
>>1220403
Are you looking to camp ?
Rv?
Hotel?
Bang hookers?
>>
>>1220413
Hotel probably though I'd be open to camping. Really, it's just that I live so close to Mexico and yet I've never really been there outside of a few stints to TJ. The anons talking about the current dollar to peso exchange rate are what got me intrigued.
>>
>>1220403
You should go for it.

US car insurance doesn't cover cars going into Mexico. Taking a car into Mexico requires proof of insurance coverage. If you've seen the billboards saying "Mexican Car Insurance", that's what they mean. You'll have to buy some to cross the border with a vehicle.

Also, the topes (speedbumps) in Mexico ARE. THE. WORST. Most towns are filled with them, and they're often big enough that you have to slow down to about 10 mph to get over them, even in a pickup.

The roads can have a lot of potholes and craziness. I don't recommend doing a lot of driving after dark--not because of crime, but because that's how you rear-end a dust-coated cattle truck with no functional tail lights going 40 kph on a rural highway with a speed limit of 100 kph.
>>
>>1220415
When is your spring break?
I am going to start heading back north here in a bit.
I could meet you and get you started.
The further down baja you go, the cooler it gets.
Camping in gonzaga bay is pretty remote but very cool.
>>
>>1220417
Solid advice.
The roads are terrible but holy shit this place is fun
>>
>>1220417
Cool. Thanks for the advice.

>>1220427
It's next week. Do you think Baja is better than Sonora?
>>
>>1220600
Better than rocky point?
Probably.
Never been further south on that side though
>>
File: Magical Towns.jpg (4MB, 3999x2661px) Image search: [Google]
Magical Towns.jpg
4MB, 3999x2661px
>>1214514
"Pueblos Mágicos" are where it's at.
>>
>>1220665
Mfw i just googled that shit abd i am in a magic town right now!
>>
>>1214821
Just was down there in November and it was great. Awesome people in Cancun and down to Valladolid.
>>
I fucking love Mexico City. Whenever I have the spare cash I catch a cheap flight and take a long weekend out there. There are times I just spend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night at the luchas at Arena Mexico and Arena Coliseo getting drunk as fuck and hitting on Mexislags. Good times.
>>
File: 1488686016189.jpg (25KB, 429x491px) Image search: [Google]
1488686016189.jpg
25KB, 429x491px
Question, I live in SoCal; is it possible (or advisable) to drive all the way to Cabo San Lucas? Would it be cheaper than flying?
>>
>>1221216
Driving between cities kinda sucks. To Los Cabos may be okay but there's always the risk of that foreign plate attracting trouble. There's an awesome scam where dudes will drop a rock or some shit on you from an overpass and when you pull over to check the damage out you get fucking robbed. So yeah.
>>
File: 1488295701793.png (257KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1488295701793.png
257KB, 480x360px
>>1221218
Holy shit
If someone damaged my car like that I would go full sperg rage
>>
>>1214564
This. American media is a fear machine. The average American thinks all of Mexico is a war zone where you could be decapitated with a machete at any moment and nowhere is safe
>>
>>1221218
Total bullshit.
I am in a rv park near the beach in baja sur. All sorts of canadians and a few americans here. We all fucking drove here.
>>
>>1221408
91.2% of Americans living in Mexico are illegal. Are you one of them?
>>
Any tips on how to avoid any problems in Reynosa/Rio Bravo?

Have to go there for six weeks for work. We have to stay in McAllen and cross the border every day to go to the plant in Rio Bravo. Some shuttle bus will bring us back and forth. About 7-8 white dudes. Any tips on how to avoid problems? Sounds like a fucking war zone down there.
>>
>>1221519
Nope, i have a six month visa.
Dont really care about unjust laws anyway.
>>
I've been in Puerto Vallarta for a month and here are my thoughts:

>pros
Girls are gorgeous
Food is very good
Everything is cheap
Safe
Found this brothel with "ok" girls for 50$ an hour

>cons
Tourist town filled with old retired people and lots of gays
Mexicans girls rarely speak English
Beach is shit compared to Cancun
The best-looking girls in strip-clubs are expensive ($100-150US for "30 mins")

I was basically here to visit my parents and escape the Canadian winter, but I'll take Spanish lesson in Canada and will come back next winter and also check other parts of the country
>>
>>1221598
Go up north to Mazatlan. The beach is still shit, but it's dramatically cheaper than Puerto Vallarta and there aren't many gringos around. And girls are $25 to fuck in the strip clubs and genuinely pretty hot.
>>
I'm currently in Mexico City

Any tips/places i should visit?
>>
>>1221607
Tinder

Also the pyramids are an hour or two away, they're actually worth the hassle to go see.
>>
>>1214514
muricans are stupid and they think mexico is one giant episode of narcos or whatever characterture they get fed on tv
>>
>>1221630
Good, they would just ruin mexico anyway.
Stay home gringos we're full
>>
>>1221597
So you are cool with the illegals in the USA?
>>
>tfw I have travelled all over the world to "dangerous" third world countries
>never felt scared
>still scared to visit mexico

Am I being a pussy /trv/?
>>
>>1221801
Yes. Use common sense, retard.
>>
>>1221630
not all of them sailboat americans love mexico
>>
>>1221801
>Am I being a pussy /trv/?
absolutely yes
>>
>>1221794
Yes, i believe that they work hard and make our country strong.
>>
>>1221801
Start with baja, safer than california
>>
>>1221801
What are the other dangerous places you have travelled to? In fact, tell me in what other places you have been in general.
>>
>>1221801
Mexico is the safest place that I've been in Latin America by far. Safer than Colombia, Peru, Brazil by a mile.

I've met lots of people that are bicycling or doing a car/moto road trip around Mexico. Zero problems from any of them. Haven't heard a single story of someone getting mugged, when I used to hear those stories all the time in other 3rd world countries.

Mexico has one of the best economies (if not the best) in Latin America. It's really quite safe. The narco violence is only between cartels, if anything they tend to be protective of tourists.
>>
I want to go to Mexico so badly!

I want to go to Mexico City though, and not somewhere like Cancun. I'm afraid that if I pitch that idea of Mexico to my friends that they'll want to go somewhere like Cancun, and I don't want to do that.

Can some of you who've been to Mexico City give me your input?
>>
>>1222519
I will never understand traveling long didtance just to see some huge city.
>>
>>1222615
Why not? There's no reason not to see other big cities. And it's only like a 4 hour flight from where I am anyway.

Plus, I can see the countryside too while I'm there.

Would you suggest that someone visiting the United States go to Muskogee, Oklahoma but not NYC or New Orleans?
>>
>>1222615
dude if you are american mexico is so close might as well go, also flights to MX city is cheaper than most other cities
>>
>>1222824
I would not suggest any human visit NYC or Nola
>>
>>1224154
I haven't been to Nola but NYC is great
>>
>>1222519
I'm traveling around Mexico and keep getting sucked into staying in Mexico City for a while. First stayed for 2 weeks, then stayed for 1 week.

I love the people I can meet in the city, if you can speak decent Spanish Tinder is an absolute buffet of really cute girls, and there are lots of well-educated people around that are interesting to talk to if you know how to meet them. CouchSurfing is incredibly popular and they have great events going on - this weekend they have hundreds of locals going to some big events.

But the city is ugly, polluted, and congested as fuck. There are only two places I'd want to stay here for more than a couple nights - Condesa (specifically within a block or two of Parque Mexico, super nice area) or Polanco (upper class area).

If you're alone and speak decent spanish I'd say sure, go to Mexico City, make some Tinder or Couchsurfing friends and have a blast.

If you're coming with friends or you don't speak spanish well I'd say go to the Oaxaca Coast, the Riviera Maya, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Sayurita, Guanajuato... really there are lots of places you can go that are infinitely better. This isn't like NYC where you can have fun just wandering around, most of the city is a shithole.
>>
>>1224299
I'll be coming with 1-2 friends,

I can have fun just eating food and going to bars, but for the rest of the day it would be nice to walk around and find things to do. I thought that would be doable in Mexico City but you're saying it's not?

I really don't want to go somewhere that's super touristy like Cancun, though.

And yeah I can speak Spanish but I'm not quite fluent and my friend doesn't know a lick of Spanish.
>>
>>1224299
Oh and I only plan on going for 4-5 days.
>>
>>1224299
How is the stripper scene there?
>>
If I go to Mexico City, I want to know good places to:

>eat
>buy things
>walk around
>and barhop

And any other input you might like to add
>>
>>1224355
>eat
- Café Tacuba
- Tacos Chupacabras
- Tacos Borrego Viudo
- Mercado de San Juan

>walk around
- Jardín Botánico UNAM
- Parque México
- Parque España
- Colonia Condesa
- Colonia Roma Norte/Roma Sur
- Museo Dolores Olmedo
- Casa de Frida Kahlo
- Centro de Coyoacán
- Desierto de los Leones

>buy things
- Mercado de Sonora
- Mercado de Jamaica
- Centro de Coyoacán
- Xochimilco

>barhop
- Zona Rosa
- Colonia Condesa
- Coyoacán
- Historic Centre
>>
>>1224362
Thank you! And do you think what this guy is true?

>>1224299
>>
>>1224366
Eh, the city has some really nice places and some really ugly ones. You can get around the ugly places and never see them aside from like a minute and from inside a car while you travel through the city. And while it is polluted, it is comparable to L.A., so that really isn't a problem for the most part.

It is indeed congested as fuck.

Also, for the walking part I missed the Chapultepec forest.
>>
>>1224367
I don't mind if a place is ugly, as long as it's interesting.

But my question comes down to, do you think there is enough stuff to do in DF for a 4-5 day trip? From what you've told me and what I've read so far, it definitely seems like there is but I just want to make sure.

Also, how can I safely enjoy the nightlife of Mexico City? Will getting a taxi to and from the hotel be good enough?

I have common sense of course, but I want to know if it will be alright to at least walk around a tiny bit late at night.
>>
>>1224368
There are plenty of things to do in here, you could be in Mexico City even longer. Just the sheer amount of museums should be enough, bars, boroughs, forests, etc.. But there are indeed other places in Mexico that I personally like more even if there are less things to do. Less people and more beautiful.

As far as the safe nightlife goes, while Mexico City is not really that dangerous in contrast with other places of the country, it is also not the safest. I have been walking in Mexico City at 3-4:00 am in the morning alone, but I wouldn't consider that I felt completely safe. Thieves are not rare. You could probably be fine if you are not alone and don't venture to the not-so nice places of the city.
>>
>>1224371
What other places in Mexixco do you like?

And I read on wikitravel that you're expected to dress somewhat formally for museums, restaurants, and parks?

I will be with a friend and I won't be wandering around side streets but I might do a small amount of walking to go from bar to bar. That should be okay, right?
>>
>>1224372
Sorry lad, I am really tired, I will try to answer with full details later on. But yeah, you should be ok, just don't get too drunk, the police might actually want to tick you out of your money because of it. As for the other places I like the most, I like architecture, not so much the night life, so Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende come to mind. And nah, you don't really have to dress formally for any of that.
>>
>>1224329
Not really, no. If you walk around you'll just find lots of bars, restaurants, boring shops... it's not like things will entice you to come in because they're super interesting.

Most travelers seem to hate mexico city and are surprised that I've spent so much time here. But again it's only because of some really hot girls that I've been fucking off of Tinder here. Without than that I would have left in a day or two.

Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Cozumel, Tulum, San Miguel, Playa del Carmen are the only "super touristy" places around. But only Cancun, Cozumel, San Miguel, and Puerto Vallarta are really full of Americans - PDC is mostly europeans and latinos, for example. So not quite the americanized shithole that you'd expect.

>>1224334
From what I've read it's pretty bad. There was a crackdown in the past few years and as a result there are no extras to be had any longer in the strip clubs, but they still hustle the hell out of you if you're a gringo anyway. There are no brothels or anything, you'll need to call an escort and meet her at one of the short-time motels around.

If you want paid sex, try Guadalajara or Monterrey. But if you're not a total troll and you speak decent spanish, just come to Mexico City and get on Tinder, it's really stupidly easy here.
>>
>>1224449
>it's not like things will entice you to come in because they're super interesting.

Are you retarded or something?
>>
>>1224329
I wouldn't say you can't find things to do by walking around but you will take a driver to get to that shopping street or sight. Once there you will dine, shop, look around a couple blocks. The park can be two full days of museums if not more. The zocalo another day stretching it out with meals.
The fact Mexico City is 3x the size NYC doesn't mean you will want to see whole neighborhoods like that. You will want to see 50 things though. Having a little cash is key to being no Spanish. Hire a driver for your more adventurous days and let him order in restaurants, haggle and shop with you.
>>
>>1224368
for ultimate safety, you want your hotels driver not a random taxi. Arrange pickup times in advance or hire him to stick around. His time isn't that expensive.
>>
>>1224454
I'm here right now, in Polanco. It's the way things are. Outside of a few small neighborhoods it's not like you're going to discover a ton of random things to do just by walking around and going in random places.

>>1224464
This is truth. I think you could get around on just english pretty well, though. Just point to things you want on menus, haggle with hand signals like in Asia, etc... people know a few words of english at least.

>>1224465
I'd highly suggest just using Uber. Seems like most of the locals use it instead of taxis as well.
>>
>>1224372
>>you're expected to dress somewhat formally for museums, restaurants, and parks?
This is tricky or even insulting to explain. In churches your knees and shoulders covered are respectful of course for modesty.
But to overgeneralize the rest of Latin America, you can be judged pretty quickly as unclassy if you dress down. Your treatment at a counter in a store will be to be slighted or even ignored. Your waiting for a table will be like the VIP rope at a top club. You simply don't command enough respect and thus don't make the cut. Do yourself a favor and if you need to be casual, be well groomed at it with visual labels, quality brands and if you are a scruffy person by nature you go one step up in hair, watch and dress shirt. A person with a decent job still wears a dress shirt with those jeans on the weekend with leather loafers and good belt. Think back to the 80s for some of the fashion by label attitudes. You are going to see that people will kiss your butt in etiquette if you command it. The mentality is that you are pressed, clean, take care in your fashion, or else have some kind of mental condition or squalor to avoid associating with. You see this a lot in the Caribbean too, even in Miami. You would not wear half the clothes sold in U.S. magazines and stores when going out but dress to impress just for all fresco dining, the movies, etc. It has nothing to do with disposable income, just "class."
>>
>>1224449
Dope, I'm a native spanish speaker so I'll be fine
>>
>>1224465
Does Mexico City have official cabs like NYC?
>>
>>1224549
Yes, but uber is better.
>>
>>1224691
is it cheaper?
>>
>>1224706
>>
File: Mexico 07-21-14 172.jpg (4MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
Mexico 07-21-14 172.jpg
4MB, 4272x2848px
I go to Oaxaca regularly for work, I love it.

People think I am Indiana Jones any time I tell them this as well, which is nice with the ladies.
>>
>>1225037
What dishes in Oaxaca do you like in particular? And has Oaxaca calmed down from that incident last year?
>>
File: Mexico 07-21-14 275.jpg (4MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
Mexico 07-21-14 275.jpg
4MB, 4272x2848px
>>1225039
Literally anything that is traditional there is good. You'd naturally be really missing out if you didn't try the Mole, cheese or the Crickets. They're kind of touristy I guess but they're famous for a reason. The Mezcal is the best you're going to find and if you can stomach it Pulque is pretty unique and literally everywhere.

Oaxaca has some interesting Tamales, I'd recommend trying them. But the king is probably the chocolate. Hot drinking chocolate that is. It's amazing.

I haven't been in a while now, but my guys down there say it is cleared up a bit. I don't plan on going again until June or so purely because of work and lack of time up here in the states however so I haven't followed it too in depth in the last 3 or 4 months. Those riots are no joke however, so I'd make sure before going if I were you. I always have somebody pick me up at the airport.
>>
>>1215800
What's that area in pic 21?
>>
>>1224706
Locals all use it, so I'm guessing yes. Locals in latin america will always use whatever the cheapest option is.

It's not in all the cities though. I'm in Oaxaca now and dealing with the taxi bullshit because there's no uber here.
>>
>>1225534
Mexcaltitan, Nayarit
>>
In mexico city right now. Its been one day so far. Man the food is great and cheap. Got tacos and churros so far and walked around the town.

Probably gonna go try some other foods and foods. Like chilaquiles and guisadas. Any other recommendations would be great too. Also i wonder if the mexican version of us fast food or junk food is any good.
>>
>>1227849
see >>1224362
>>
>>1227849
>Also i wonder if the mexican version of us fast food or junk food is any good

Mexican version of fast food is the billions of taquerias that are all around you, everywhere in mexico. Or the food trucks that sell the same stuff.

In Mexico City the locals told me to go for Chille Relleno and Tacos al Pastor.
>>
>>1227849
There are burger stands in some places on the streets, the more common ones are going to be called "hamburguesas al carbón" (grill burgers), with pineapple and jalapeño chili peppers. They are ok deppending on the stand
>>
>>1227849
Chilaquiles is kind of a breakfast food. Be sure to try verde and rojo both, with chicken. I adore real bolillo rolls, that sourdough flavor makes a really delicious molletes breakfast too. This isn't fancy food. You will get the same deliciousness at VIPs as some hotel restaurant.
Al pastor is unique to mexico city, a fusion of lebanese christian expats and mexican food both. If you see a vertical rotisserie, it'll probably be good. Just pick a place that has a good line. This is your lunch food and snack food. Those pristine clean ice cream and fruit smoothie places can make some awesome shakes, coconut-guava-pineapple or whatever you think looks good as well as paletas (homemade popsicles made of frozen tropical fruits). I would get tamales if you want to try really the benefit of cheap labor, since it's an intensely labor intensive food, as well as equites and any good looking soup.

Ehh, I wouldn't get a hamburger, no, not the thing to think is improved in mexico, but pizza, omfg yes, you'll find the cheese in mexico is awesome, and there might be some fun toppings if you get a good place, from corn smut to roasted chilies and corn. This is hipster trendy food done really well in more than a couple dozen places in the DF. (In general, you will find there will be great brick oven regional pizza when you travel, from iceland to mexico). Gotta look for gourmet food in this city, higher end places. To do a multi course dinner, with no nod to pricetags and eat the best the chef and country can offer can be ridiculously cheap. Top michelin level chefs will be under $50 with wine and all you can eat, just go for it.
>>
>>1227849
So what did you do anon?
>>
the mexico city anon update.

Friday .
We had some more great food today and we walked around a lot and took the metro. We ate at the following places:

1. El Cardenal for breakfast @ centro historico
2. Guzina Oaxaca for lunch @ Polanco
3. El cafe popular for dinner @ centro historico
4. street tacos for late night food @ centro historico
5. Pasaguernos for some drinking @ centro historico

All the food was pretty delicious. El Cardenal is really good for traditional style Mexican food and the chocolate drink there was really tasty. Guzina oaxaca is a bit more high end and each entree was about 200 pesos, but service was very helpful with a manager who explained dishes in English to us.

Drinking in cdmx feels kinda weird, since it seems that a lot of places and bars close pretty early and instead seem to be more active during the afternoon. Probably gonna need some help with this.

We also explored the following places:

1. Zolaco
2. Mexico city metropolitan cathedral
3. Polanco mall

We kinda half-assed our exploring of the city to be honest. Mostly walked around everywhere. The cathedral is really huge and impressive with huge arches and very high ceilings and various figures and some services happening in Latin. We're not big on religion, but it was worth at least a short time.

Polanco mall is just a basic and generic shopping mall and prices aren't that great either so not really worth.
>>
>>1227991

I meant the mexican version of american fast food eg mexican mcdonalds or mexican kfc. Only asking because chinese KFC is god-tier and I'm wondering if mexican KFC is.

I'll go the chile relleno. Haven't tried that yet.

>>1228134

I got chilaquiles today. They tasted so good with a perfect texture of soft and crispy with spicy and savory sauce. They were with rojo sauce I think and without chicken. Yeah I think I'll probably be getting more versions of it.

We'll be on the lookout for the other foods and maybe Michelin level meals. I'll be researching.

>>1228075

Probably feel like skipping hamburgers. All the mexican foods are probably better and more rare.

--- i'll try to upload some pic's
>>
File: 20170325_220735-COLLAGE.jpg (323KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
20170325_220735-COLLAGE.jpg
323KB, 1024x1024px
First row: fancy post office (correos), inside of cathedral, bread
2nd: omelette at el cardenal, cerveza and mezcal, cheese platter at guzina oaxaca
3rd: stuffed chiles with chicken, beans and grasshoppers, cathedral outside, palacio de bella artes outside
>>
As a Mexican I'm perfectly fine with fewer Americans coming here, you bring too many assholes.
>>
>>1228975
>>1228975
Would you say that is a common attitude ?
Are mexicans not into having american visitors now with the trumm?
>>
File: 1479282220228.gif (241KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1479282220228.gif
241KB, 300x300px
>>1228975

lol brooooooo, you have no right to talk. Your people flood our boarders by the millions bringing all sorts of problems. What do Americans bring to Mexico? MONEY.
>>
>>1229236
- They have almost a million of illegal immigrants living in Mexico, and they clog up our universal health care system.
- More Mexicans are comming back than going in, so the immigration flows have been TOWARD Mexico in the last years
- bringing all sorts of problems [citation needed]

They are not sending their best
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/american-spring-break-revelers-chant-trumps-build-the-wall-while-partying-in-cancun-report/

And no, I don't give a fuck about their money when they act like chimps.

>>1229229
No, but we should.
>>
>>1229249
Your government can solve these problems very quickly and easily. It doesn't because it's a net benefit on the economy because gringos spend so much. Most gringos are spending dramatically more money in local places than the average mexican, and shitheads like in that link don't exist out of Cancun and PDC (and even then they are rare).
>>
Is 3000$ a reasonable budget for a 14 day road trip?
>>
>>1230251
3000 american goes a long way in mexico. It lasted me over three months including hookers.
From where to where?
>>
>>1230264
The vague plan is across the border from texas to mexico city, then Guadalajara, oaxaca, chiapas and yucatan back up through veracruz
>>
>>1230269
>>1230269
Thats a lot of ground to cover in two weeks but you have plenty of cash .
I would slow down a be less ambitious so you can enjoy more beach time.
Forgot to mention that I had an RV so I did not pay for many hotels.
I like the cheap ones anyway and they are 15 to 25 bucks a night.
>>
I was in Mexico four months this winter (on pan-America motorcycle trip, currently in Nicaragua about to enter Costa Rica). Donald Trump is truly making Mexico great again by crashing the peso. As a general overview:

- Baja was expensive, just beach camping without any services you'd have to pay. Even the most basic accommodation is 2-3x what it'd be anywhere else in Mexico. I really wouldn't recommend to anyone: the desert and coast is pretty but you can get the same elsewhere in Mexico and even the US for less.
- The north Pacific coast (Sinaloa, Nayarit, etc) is really nice, but the drug war has taken a huge toll. You can see where there used to be a huge tourist economy, but currently it's pretty much devoid of foreign tourists. The insane number of police/military was a constant problem for me driving (hit up for bribes hourly), but for backpacking it's great right now imo so long as you avoid the big cities which are dead now with no nightlife (and you really do feel like you're taking your life into your hands by being out after dark)
- Central upland Mexico (apart from Mexico City) is super fucking nice. Guadalajara, Puebla, the copper cities are all gorgeous; it's basically like visiting Spain for a FRACTION the price. Also it seemed very safe here. Even Morelia seemed perfectly safe and normal.
>>
>>1230524
- Mexico City felt like a big Asian city to me. I suppose it's cheap if you want to hang out in a huge cosmopolitan city, and the subway makes getting around the core a breeze (traffic has to be THE worst in the world though). But the sheer number and density of people is a drag and makes it dirty/annoying compared to surrounding central Mexico. Compared to Guadalajara and especially Puebla MC is a total dump.
- The coast in Oaxaca is fucking spectacular and incredibly cheap. Endless perfect beaches, dirty cheap food and accommodation, not a tonne of tourists (although Oaxaca and Chiapas are the only parts of Mexico with a notable backpacker scene/route).
- Upland southern Mexico (interior Oaxaca, interior Chiapas) is Southeast Asia cheap. There are a lot of political problems here (fake zapatistas setting up roadblocks, protests everywhere constantly), but if you're not driving it shouldn't bother you. It's basically the opposite of northern Mexico: where in the North there are way too many cops/military all over, in the South the Mexico State basically doesn't exist. Although overall it feels like a second rate Guatemala culturally and geographically, and it's not that Guatemala is THAT much more expensive.
- Tabasco and Campeche were meh. Only reason to visit is jungle ruins. I didn't go to Q.R. on this trip (have in the past, nothing much there once you're over the white sand).
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.