[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys. Looking for some advice on figuring out what the hell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: tiv-581-1349703858.jpg (51KB, 580x428px) Image search: [Google]
tiv-581-1349703858.jpg
51KB, 580x428px
Hey guys. Looking for some advice on figuring out what the hell to do with my life. I'm 26 and I graduated almost two years ago from college and got my mate's license for commercial shipping. Unfortunately the shipping industry on the American side is in the toilet and jobs are really scarce. I need to figure out something to do long term, but in the meantime it would be nice (at least in my head) to go to another country to live. Seems like teaching is one of the better/easier ways to do that. So what TEFL programs would everyone recommend? I'm open to different countries, but I'm leaning toward Thailand. Maybe I could even work weekends on a boat there. Anyway, thanks for reading and any help you can offer.
>>
>>1213690
I taught in Thailand for a couple of years, some time ago now, and had a great experience. It matters little which TEFL cert you get, assuming it's not from one of the little fly-by-night schools in Thailand (my favorite of which is on Ko Samui). But it's not that easy to get a legal job (one that will provide a work permit and sponsor you for the appropriate visa) without a BA, so I hope when you say you just graduated you don't mean with an Associate's degree. Doesn't mean you can't get a job, but it does increase your chances of not working legally, which is always at least a little risky.

Easiest place left to work without a bachelor's degree in Southeast Asia remains Cambodia.
>>
>>1213690
Don't waste your money on TEFL certification (unless it gives a worthwhile bonus)!
And you should probably not go to Thailand, either, unless you have a big interest in living there.

I would definitely suggest you go to either South Korea or Japan...perhaps China, if those are not suitable to your wishes.
You would earn/save more money in Korea/Japan, and if you really want to go to Thailand or anywhere else in Asia, you would have more savings for traveling around.

The only requirements in Japan and South Korea are native speaker status and a 4 year degree in any subject.
As long as you are a native speaker with a college degree, you are qualified to teach English.

You should shrug off any employer that wants a TEFL certification or anything else.

MOREOVER, if you are from a country that allows a working holiday visa with Japan, just go there using that visa and you'll have a wider range of options.
>>
I'm sure this won't apply to you OP, but I'll just say it in case any other people are reading this thread.

Many foreign countries that are hiring English teachers generally only want native speakers. If you speak English as a secondary language, they don't want you. It doesn't matter how fluent you are, they don't want you. Even if you speak better English than native speakers, they still don't want you.
>>
>>1213782
>>1213810
I have a BS, yep. Two actually because of this thing my school had going on. So between both posts I'm not sure if getting a TEFL is needed. Or is it? I'd definitely enjoy teaching in Japan, but I hear the jobs are pretty hard to get. Thanks for the insight so far.
>>
>>1214192
>I'd definitely enjoy teaching in Japan, but I hear the jobs are pretty hard to get. Thanks for the insight so far.
They're not hard at all -- just make sure you apply at the right time of the year when the most jobs are on the market. It's the same in South Korea.

However, there is always stuff available. Japan is going to have a big market for the new few years due to the Olympics.

Put in an application to the JET Programme and look around at private schools in Japan.
Overall, I would say it is very easy to teach in Japan if you want to get any sort of job.
However, the JET Programme is somewhat difficult to get into.
>>
>>1214192
It's not too hard to get a TESOL job in Thailand with just a Bachelor's degree. But the easiest jobs to get are night school jobs, teaching adults, in language schools. Fun in a lot of ways but your workday ends at like 10PM. For more competitive jobs (jobs in non-kindergarten schools, most other daytime gigs), a certification will make you a bit more competitive. Check out ajarn.com.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.