[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planning a journey of a lifetime for this year. I plan on going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

Planning a journey of a lifetime for this year.

I plan on going from British Columbia to Patagonia. I plan on either biking or possibly motor biking. Not sure yet. I know it's extreme but I've already motor biked from British Columbia to Quebec and back. I've gone up to Alaska and done some serious hiking. I've also biked from Paris to Split Croatia. I'm a bit of a survival nut. I've survived Canadian winters outside in our territories camping. I've don't mountain climbing. Did the macchu picchu hike. Anyway.

I know I can do this trip. I just don't know how to go about the DariƩn Gap! I don't just want to ferry it or fly over it..it's just not me. I've researched it extensively. Also it's been done numerous times. I'm fluent in Spanish so that will help. I've heard of indigenous groups in the region that will show you the way to Colombia etc.

My goal is to leave my home on April 1st right after I quit my job.

And advice?
>>
File: darien gaps closed3.jpg (163KB, 744x597px) Image search: [Google]
darien gaps closed3.jpg
163KB, 744x597px
Sorry gap's closed.
>>
The problem with the Darien Gap has less to do with the extreme elements and more to do with the people you might possibly encounter within. Drug traffickers and paramilitary groups make extensive use of the Gap. Several travelers have either been kidnapped or murdered while transiting between the two countries in recent times. I believe the skeleton of a Swedish fellow was just found a year or so back.

Good luck. It's "not me" to go around either, but I'd probably opt for a ferry just to save time. I have no desire to spend sixty or seventy days bogging through the jungle.
>>
>>1212610
Pretty much sums up my research. Thanks man. I've found it pretty hard to find which parts of the gap night be less dangerous. Do you have any info on this? Perhaps part closest to the coast might be etc.
>>
I had the same idea for a long time. It is kind of one of the last blank spots on the map. I have no idea what the status of any of these paramilitary groups is, or where you would get that information. I remember people speculating that things would calm down if there was ever a peace deal with the farc, but I don't know if that is realistic. Let me know if you find anything.
>>
I don't know this is gonna sound like a quiter's attitude to you, but there is a really cool and affordable sail boat trip you can take over the gap. It's 5 days from Panama to Colombia. I've had friends do it and it's really fun apparently.
>>
>>1212606
I was thinking about crossing it on my own as well, or maybe with some folks, but I read few articles about it and few stories by people who did it/tried to do it and I gave up.

It seems so small, but full of rebels, drug dealers and stuff. No idea what they might do to you. Mix that with wild animals, lack of routes and lack of possiblity to prepare I gave up.

I'll take a sailbot to Panama or fly from Bogota instead.

Good luck up.

How old are you btw? USA? (for Americans it's slightly better, as they may not kill you but trade for some information/exchange for their troops)
>>
>I know it's extreme

It's not extreme. Tons of people do it every year. There's entire websites dedicated to it. People do it on bicycles.

I did it myself, it's a great trip. You'll love it.

If you want to do a hard but not impossible way, go with small local launches. They'll barely fit your bike (if you have a big bike, tough luck) and you'll take about two weeks to go by all the coastal towns into Colombia. It's super fun.
>>
>>1212759
>I did it myself, it's a great trip. You'll love it.

When, how and pics?
>>
>>1212721
The farc peace treaty with the Colombian government was never ratified.

>>1212742
Might be a last resort for me. I really want to cross it on land.

>>1212743
I can post here with videos and pictures when I do it but it won't be until April ish.
>>1212759
Post site please. And do you have pics of you doing it? Any experiences you want to share? Tips etc.
Thanks.
>>
>>1212606
If any of you cross the gap, and post pics here and prove you did it,you will live forever on /trv/.

But if you try and fail, no man will mark the day you die,and you will be forgotten by all and not welcomed to feast in the halls of your ancestors, even at a table by the kitchen.

WEIGH YOUR CHOICE CAREFULLY.
>>
>>1212610
>Drug traffickers and paramilitary groups make extensive use of the Gap. Several travelers have either been kidnapped or murdered while transiting between the two countries in recent times.

[source required]. I didn't find any news related to these alleged murders. For a start, there is no such thing as paramilitary groups in Colombia since 2006.

whoever says this kind of bullshit has never been there.

anyone can do the trip through the Caribbean side, hopping through town to town along the coast , it's a very touristic area and it's fairly safe. from La Miel in Panama you get to Sapzurro in Colombia and that's it, you crossed the border. There is pleny of hotels there, hippie communities, fishermen, etc. From any of these towns you can get a motorboat to Turbo, at the other side of the Uraba gulf. And from there you just can go by road wherever you want in Colombia.

>>1212775
>The farc peace treaty with the Colombian government was never ratified.

Yes it was ratified in december, Farc members are already delivering their weapons. Also, there has been a truce for the past 2 years.
>>
>>1214150
The Swede was named Jan Philip Braunisch. He disappeared in 2013 and his skeleton was found in 2015. Just Google it.
>>
>>1214150

As the other poster said, just Google it.

I was in Colombia in 2015, you shitlord. I even had an apartment in Bogota.

>lol the Darien Gap is safe!!!!!!
>>
>>1212606
If you're gonna cross the Americas, why not start in Alaska? Go from Prudhoe Bay to fucking Ushuaia man, now that's extreme.
>>
>>1214150
>there is no such thing as paramilitary groups in Colombia since 2006.

OK. We may be using different definitions of the terms "paramilitary group" and "in Colombia" for that matter.
>>
>>1212606

take the fucking ferry or fly.

It'll be fucking shit don't bother, unless you love all the worst parts of camping and also love being near criminals and refugees at all times, also do you love snakes that can kill you? they have them too
>>
>>1214448
what is your definition?

paramilitary groups are defined by their links with the State and the state's armed forces. This is not the case, they are just drug gangs against the government, not with them. They even do bussiness with Farc.

>>1214470
no ferries there, just motorboats.
>>
>>1214485
>paramilitary groups are defined by their links with the State and the state's armed forces.

Then yeah. we are suing different definitions.

But why quibble, you'll be just as dead if one group of homicidal morons dressed in "uniforms" and using military terminology for themselves kills you as if some other one does.
>>
File: ORLY.jpg (33KB, 219x200px) Image search: [Google]
ORLY.jpg
33KB, 219x200px
>>1214485
>no ferries there, just motorboats.

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/15047/panama-ferry-cheaper-way-cross-darien-gap/
>>
>>1212606
I know it's possible. In Peru I met a husband and wife that rode Harley's from cali and were headed to the tip of south america. Not sure how they id it thouhg
>>
>>1214500
but that's Panama-Cartagena ferry, it's like 500 kms

I was thinking of a ferry between some Panama near the border town and Turbo.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.