[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your experiences eating out alone while traveling?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: tmg-facebook_social.jpg (176KB, 1080x630px) Image search: [Google]
tmg-facebook_social.jpg
176KB, 1080x630px
What are your experiences eating out alone while traveling?

I'm not really afraid of being judged, per se, but I still feel weird as fuck being served by someone else and in a room full of other people having a good time while I'm there alone.

Most of my travels are solo so this is the only way I can enjoy the local cuisine at times.
>>
>>1212064
I never travel alone, however I love going out eating by myself. I am normally either with my wife or my friends so I thoroughly enjoy a nice meal by myself. I normally just sit on my phone and browse dank memes on 4chan.
>>
>>1212065
Do you recommend I do this at home before trying it abroad?
>>
>>1212068
I guess that would be a way, while you will be traveling all of the other people will be going about their daily, boring life. I dont think anyone would give a fuck at a dude eating alone. At least I know I wouldent.
>>
>>1212064
I kind of scope out where it would be feasible to dine alone to avoid some of those awkward feelings. Remember business travelers are often alone, so where are they eating? Hotels. Some of the finest restaurants in a town are in the top hotels. Also, at the finest restaurants in town, you should encounter an appreciative chef/owner/some employee who knows you are there to try "the best" something on their menu, and your word of mouth, blog, or chatter to other travelers are kind of important to them, and you should get a food critic kind of treatment.
There always will be a sort of special occasion or quiet romantic kind of restaurant. Look for that unwanted table, or the patio, or ask right up at the front "hey, I'm in town for such and such and heard good things about you, but do you have a place for a single diner?" That's it. You're in and let the royal treatment commence. But, if they kind of balk or act indecisive, move on. Walk out and on to the next one.
If you can find a nightclub or arts district area, you will often encounter a late night or pre-show kind of restaurant that feeds all kinds of diners. Some of the best travel food can be street food for them. Nachtmarket in Vienna comes to mind.
Weird feelings help if you sit at a bar, and get to converse with another patron eventually, while you snack/appetizer kind of thing, or just have a drink until the bartender finds out you weren't going to order but just drink, but encourages you to go sit down cause he wants you try something great on their menu. Flipping through your travel book, and making some notes on a piece of paper is a little more obviously open for conversation, than your phone which can come across rude or offputting. So use both.
Talk to concierges and get ideas. Befriend your taxi driver for same, maybe he'll just take you somewhere and join you (often will make plans with you the following day instead). Troll local foodie blogs and send email for meetup.
>>
File: 1485672535456.jpg (59KB, 645x412px) Image search: [Google]
1485672535456.jpg
59KB, 645x412px
>>1212064
I feel like a loser doing anything alone in public.
>>
The last time I dined alone was in Hong Kong.

Over there, it's normal to seat solo diners at a table that's already occupied. So there could be a family of 3 dining at a table, and the host(ess) will actually pull out the 4th chair and tell me to sit with them.

It was very awkward for me, but the other customers didn't seem to mind. It leads me to believe that this is either normal in Hong Kong, or the customers I've encountered are VERY good at hiding their true feelings.

It's a lot less awkward when it's only one other person at the table. It's even less awkward when that person is also a tourist.

There is the rare occasion where solo diners can get a table to him/herself. But when a larger group comes in AFTER you, they can sometimes make you move to another table. The new group gets your clean table, and you get moved to a recently used table that's less clean. I can't blame them, they're just following the money.

I've only come across two inconveniences.
>1. Less attention from the waitstaff
I honestly don't know if it's because I was dining solo or because I'm a foreigner/tourist. But I find that it could take a very long time for a waiter/waitress to come take my order. But I assume this is a follow-the-money thing. Couples and large groups are absolutely going to spend way more money than solo diners, therefore they require more attention. They're also more likely to complain if things don't go their way, and the last thing a restaurant wants is a Yelp disaster (or OpenRice).

>2. Order mix-ups with the table you're sharing
Sometimes they'll bring their order to you. Sometimes they'll bring your order to them. Sometimes you'll both order the same thing, and there could be a dispute over who should get it first. There'll be a mix of English, broken English, and Cantonese, in an attempt to resolve the confusion. I've never had a problem with the bill, but I wouldn't discount the possibility that it's happened to someone.

All in all, it was alright.
>>
In America, most restaurants, even the really nice places, have a bar where you can walk up to and eat from without feeling like a creep, filled with other solo people for business/ect to talk to. Otherwise I don't go in or if I really wanted to try it out I'll browse my phone a lot. It only gets awkward if they put you in the middle of the room.

Not sure if this is the same around the world as I only travel America for business.
>>
Just fucking walk in and do it. If people stare at you its their problem, not yours.
>>
>>1212064
If I am not bringing ffod back to my room or getting it on the go, I am with a local. So I can't recall ever having this problem traveling. I will say Stateside I have no issue on the rare occasion I am eating alone.
>>
>>1212083
In Hong Kong I went to a restaurant with my friends, they sat us at a table where some local was already eating.
Like the good half social people we tried to make eye contact with the person who already sat at the table, it didn't succeed in the first minute, so we just went om with our own business in our own languuage. When he realized we weren't going to talk to him, he looked more relaxed, so I'm kinda sorry for him for that first minute where we were figuring out if we were supposed to greet him or not.
Based on your story and mine, I would think it's normal to just eat next to each other no contact.
>>
I've had no issues dining alone either here at home or abroad. You're not the only person who does this and restaurants cater for solo diners just fine.

The conventional stigma "table of one" can no longer be applied in today's society as many people from all walks of life are too busy to make food for themselves while at the same time dont want to deal with take-out. They would rather get a decent quick meal during their lunch break or try out a place by themselves for a bit of alone time.

Restaurants and the waiters dont care. Most people wont either. They people who stare are the one's only affirming their own insecurities about it.
>>
>>1212064
Never in my life have I ever asked for a table for one and I never will.

However, if it's a fast paced restaurant or a cafe where there's chaos and you get the food yourself then I don't mind. If it's a la carte then it's also not a problem. Buffets work too. But if you must be seated and order from a menu then I simply won't do it. The only exception I'll make is if it's a 2nd/3rd world country in a slower paced city/town where it's strikingly obvious I'm a foreigner and the restaurant looks quiet with a nice view. This way I won't be judged by anyone and may even strike up a conversation with the employees/owners.

1st world countries suck because of the stigma of dining out alone. I'll usually just eat street food, at food courts, or get take out. But luckily God created hostels and it's piss easy to say, "ay what's up mate you wanna grab a bite to eat?"
>>
>>1212174
You're afraid of what people you'll never ever see again in your life will think about you?
>>
>>1212185
Some people remain emotionally stuck in junior high.
>>
>>1212064
Dude, I understand how someone might feel weird eating by himself in his hometown, but when you're travelling, you have a very good reason to be eating out alone and thus it shouldn't really feel weird at all

>>1212083
WTF that's so fucking weird. It's not that much of a problem anymore, but I used to suffer from quite bad anxiety, and I would hate having to sit and face a stranger while eating out. I would still hate that and probably not enjoy my meal as much.

wew, I know this shouldn't be a big thing, but damn that must be so fucking awkward, just sitting there with a family of 3, facing one of them
>>
>>1212064
No one gives a fuck about you and neither should you. Even if you bring your waifu body pillow with you people will laugh and then quickly forget it
>>
>>1212064
Aah. This meme thread again. Stay Sperg and hungry!

Protip. This world is full of cheap eateries where mainly solo people go to get... you know... energy to last them until the next meal.

Go to one of those places. Or just kill yourselves. No loss to the world in either case.
>>
File: image.jpg (489KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
489KB, 1920x1280px
I would never do it at home (Southern Australia) because you would get weird as fuck looks and people would laugh at you! People are cunts here! Pretty much doing anything alone here is considered weird as fuck. Even living alone people ask why and think you're some weirdo!
But always done it in SEA and Japan. There they cater for solo eaters and normally sit you at a bar at the front so you can people watch while you eat and drink your beer.
I've never felt odd there!
Pic semi related fuck I love Thailand.
>>
I eat alone sometimes and I don't care. I really wish I lived in a world where trivial shit like this did not matter.
>>
I've always had a great time eating alone.

If you're too insecure to eat alone, you shouldn't fucking travel.

The only downside is not being able to order different dishes since I can't finish them all/too costly.
>>
I often work away from home and never gave a damn. Sometimes eating in a hotel room gets old.

Or you could just travel to Japan where most restaurants cater to lone businessmen like beef bowl restaurants , conveyor sushi or train station noodle stands.
>>
https://youtu.be/RCz1U6Rv5fU
>>
I do it all the time and seriosuly, nobodu cares. Best to weat casual outfit and not look like a awkward tourist tho. Also i wouldn't go alone in a fancy restaurants for couples but that is just common sense
>>
eating alone is nice desu, i do it especially in the afternoon when there's few people in the restaurant; i can read a book or read posts from reddit/4chan
>>
>>1212174
>Never in my life have I ever asked for a table for one and I never will.

cool?
>>
File: 1461072513332.jpg (119KB, 617x932px) Image search: [Google]
1461072513332.jpg
119KB, 617x932px
>>1212174
k kid
>>
>>1212174
>Never in my life have I ever asked for a table for one and I never will.
wtf
>stigma of dining out alone
that might be in your head buddeh
>>
You need to change your mindset about it. No one is going to judge you. No one even cares that you're dining alone. There are many circumstances that make people go eat alone, why would anyone judge you for it? I often go alone because my friends (who I hang out with often) can't afford the places I go to. I don't always want to eat for under $10, sometimes I want something much better.

My only rule is that if a restaurant has a romantic setting, like a Greek/Italian place with dimmed lights and candles etc etc, I only go there for lunch. The reason for this mainly is because you kinda pay for that atmosphere and I don't want that. Although one time I went to a steakhouse in Vegas that was exactly like that. But I figured in Vegas they will understand people traveling by themselves, best steak I've eaten in my life.
>>
Jesus Christ, I swear sometimes it seems that this board is filled with 16 years old or women.

I travelled dozens of countries and always dined alone, in variety of local restaurants.
NEVER ever I felt judge - why should I?
I'm just a human, doing a human thing - eating.
Restaurant owners are happy, they earn money. Service is happy, they might get a tip.
Locals don't care, why should they? or more important, why would I CARE if they look or what they think?
Jesus, even typing that was cringy.

>>1212349
>>1212174
fucking ozzies
>>
I eat out alone all the fucking time,at home and while traveling. Never understood why people are averse to it. I bring a book, a writing pad or just my thoughts. Only problem is I spend a lot of money because I will eat out for no reason.
>>
>>1212349
I seriously hope that isn't the best.

Girl* on the left looks like a goblin. One one the right kind of resembles the prototype Chewbacca from back when George Lucas was still brainstorming Star Wars.

* I have no idea if these are real or kathoey
>>
>>1212353
you do
>>
Your just eating dinner, hardly remarkable

People notice you, but as a traveler that shouldn't be new to you
>>
>>1212349
Reason #35174019 why Australia is the worst country on earth.
>>
No one gives a shit bro. No one is looking at you, no one notices you, no one cares about you.

That being said, I actually had a weird experience eating alone in Israel. I was staying overnight in Haifa, and the guy at my hotel told me to walk in the wrong direction to get to the downtown area. So I was just wandering around near the port at like 9PM, hungry as fuck, couldn't find anywhere to eat except seedy bars and whatnot. Ended up walking into some hole in the wall place (literally, it was down a dark alley and up a stairway built in between two buildings) and turned out to be some fancy Italian restaurant. Maybe someone on here knows the place? I was in sweatpants and a t-shirt, completely underdressed and out of place, but I was starving and lost and just wanted to fucking eat. I sat down right in the middle of about a dozen couples and felt like a stupid asshole.

Long story short, one of the young waiters there ended up being a total bro. It was a slow night, so he came over to hang out for like ten minutes at a time in between serving just to talk to me. Left him a huge tip because he turned an awkward, shit night into a pretty pleasant dinner. Anyways, point is that there really isn't anything to worry about.
>>
>>1212549
I recognize myself in this.
>>
>>1212073
What ?

Why would anyone feel weird eating alone?
>>
I always travel alone and eat alone, even in restaurants.

Why would I care what people think?
>>
Experience:
-go in
-order food
-optional social interaction with locals/owner
-eat food
-pay for food
-leave the establishment
>>
>worrying what other people think
>ever
>>
I'm quite aspie and find it impossible to eat alone in a nice restaurant. When I was in Helsinki I ended up eating a curry in the train station. In Hong Kong I kept going to mcdonalds. In other places I'd just live off sandwiches from the supermarket.
>>
Those who care about such a thing are so fucking empty that when you look into their eyes you just want to cry.
>>
And when you make an eye contact you better fucking keep it up to make the other side shit their mantal pants. ROOOARRR
>>
>>1212353
Shit this perception bubble is real. One for everyone.
>>
>>1213149
lol i have the same hobby
>>
>>1213143
>In Hong Kong I kept going to mcdonalds.
lolwut, even I did better than that.

I only went to restaurants with English-language menus. If the menu was completely Chinese, I wouldn't dare go in.

I probably missed out on a lot of good food by doing this.
>>
File: image.jpg (486KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
486KB, 1536x2048px
>>1212732
Lol she's cute
>>
>>1213456
Well I guess she does look a little more tolerable in that photo. But goddamn, the earlier photo was a mess.
>>
Think of it this way - Have you ever been to a restaurant and seen someone eating alone and gave the slightest of shits about it? Nobody cares what you do if it doesn't effect them.
>>
>>1212174
>If it's a la carte then it's also not a problem
>if you must be seated and order from a menu then I simply won't do it.
Isn't ordering from a menu the definition of à la carte?
>>
Who gives a fuck, eating is now just a social thing? Weak willed pussies, cant even order a meal without other strangers validating yourself

>>1212174
Absolutely pathetic
>>
Travel on business a bit.

Eat alone, literally no one, and I mean absolutely no one will give a fuck.

You need to eat to fucking live.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.