[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to Philadelphia mid-March for about 4 1/2 days.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (574KB, 3041x1379px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
574KB, 3041x1379px
I'm going to Philadelphia mid-March for about 4 1/2 days. (Land at 5 PM Wednesday, won't have much time Sunday to do more than pack and have breakfast with friends.)

It's my first time. I don't know where I'm staying yet, but downtown is most likely. What should I go out of my way to see/do? I mainly like to drink and try new foods, but I'm also willing to see some history and such.

What should I see? What should I avoid? It's also St. Patrick's Day that Saturday, so I'll mostly be in bars.
>>
>>1210674
Fuck the crack of the liberty bell
>>
>>1210674
Liberty bell
Mutter museum
Phila Museum of Art(Rocky stairs)
Reading Market
Eat a cheesesteak
>>
As a Brit who fantasizes about moving to America, how is the Philadelphia area? My dream is to move into the suburbs near Philly. It just seems like a really comfy area.
>>
>>1210867
Pretty shitty but small town PA is based as fuck.
>>
>>1210870
What's so bad about Philly?
>>
>>1210873
North and West Philly. Ghetto central though parts are gentrifing.
>>
>>1210873
It's a liberal cesspool filled with niggers and other minorities. As an example, they just recently passed a sugar tax. Buying a thing of tea will cost you more in tax than the actual beverage.

http://6abc.com/food/philadelphias-beverage-tax-is-now-in-effect/1681401/

They also have the highest tax on gasoline in the U.S. along with the worst maintained roads. Stay far away. Then again you Brits might get off on overtaxation and minorities overrunning your communities.
>>
File: 19311714_big.0.0.jpg (267KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
19311714_big.0.0.jpg
267KB, 1024x683px
>>1210674
Avoid:
>North and West Philadelphia

See:
>Reading Market
>China town can be cool, has some great restaurants
>Art Museum
>There are old bars you can check out if you're old enough
>Franklin Institute can be neat depending on what exhibit is there
>Penn's Landing is supposed to be super cool
>If you want check if there are any concerts or events going on around the city

>>1210867
It's really awesome, the Philadelphia area is sweet and so are the suburbs. There are great colleges all around the area UPenn, Drexel, Villanova, Temple, Lehigh, and Swathmore are all around the general area. The suburbs closer to Philadelphia are expensive and have a super professional atmosphere around them. The closer you are the more expensive and professional/rich the atmosphere will be, neighborhoods that are like 15-45min outside of the city have small houses selling for like 650k. When you get near Villanova that's where things are super chill, it's a very rich area and it's quite and beautiful plus you are literally 10min from the city. The best part about the Philadelphia area is that it is affordable when compared to other large cities, I really like it. Visit if you haven't already and check it out.

Pic attached is one of the mansions in the Main Line
>>
>>1211041

Reading Market has made it onto the list.

I'm definitely old enough to drink, and will be doing a lot of it.

What's cool at Penn's Landing? I'm staying pretty close, all things considered.
>>
>>1210867
Philly is pretty terrible. It's got a huge inferiority complex, which makes everyone angry and defensive, crime is high, and there is little to do.

PA in general has the worst liquor laws in the country, everything closes at 2am, SEPTA is either always on strike, or just terrible, and the whole places is always dirty.

The worst part about Philly, is that nobody actually wants to make it better. People in Philly are so heavily institutionalized to the environment, that the actively fight and lash out whenever anyone tries to do something to make the city nicer. Not only that, but they blindly defend all the worst aspects of the city, as if it gives them some sort of street cred. Philly residents have to be the only people who not only take pride in, but actively try to live up to the worst stereotypes that people have about them.

The city government is corrupt as fuck, so funds are often mismanaged. Cops are always getting busted on corruption. The Parking authority is terrible, and they mostly hire the worst people, while doing everything they can to fill their coffers. Parking in Philly is a chore, and you'll probably get your car ruined within a year.

Also, Philly isn't like New York, where you know which neighborhoods are safe, and which aren't. Pretty much no part of Philly is safe, because it's all on a block by block basis. You can have million dollar homes a block away from the ghetto. You can be in your nice area, and still get your ass kicked by a "flash mob". Obviously, there are certain parts that you definitely know not to hang out in, but when University City, which has like 4 different schools and thousands of students, is one of the least safe parts of the city, you know what's up.

Philly is a place that could have been like New York once upon a time, and by that, I mean they could have been a cultural and industry hub. But, for the most part, it's nothing but heroin addicts, white trash, and the worst kinds of blacks on the planet.
>>
The suburbs is indeed where it is at, close to everything you would want to do except a desert, city in general could be so much better as posted but corruption just all over, if going to Reading Terminal get a Dinic's pork sandwich
>>
>>1211384
>What's cool at Penn's Landing? I'm staying pretty close, all things considered.

I didn't read your post close enough, most stuff that happens there is during the summer although it is a cool area. I'm not sure what is going on during March though, you can always just head over and see what's up.

http://www.visitphilly.com/outdoor-activities/philadelphia/penns-landing/

The fact that you will be there over St. Patricks day almost negates everything, St. Patty's day in Philly is huge just look it up.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.