[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What size / model bag does /trv/ recommend? I am going on a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: farpoint40.jpg (16KB, 200x231px) Image search: [Google]
farpoint40.jpg
16KB, 200x231px
What size / model bag does /trv/ recommend?

I am going on a year long trip mainly in warm climates, what does /trv/ recommend? I was looking at the osprey farpoint 40/55 because Google tells me it's a good bag, what does /trv/ think.
>>
>>1209071
If you aren't living out of a tent then 40 litres should be enough, especially in warm climates. I lived out of my 40 litre bag for 3 months (if you can live out of it for 3 months I'm sure you can live out of it for any amount of time) and I had bulky sweaters and long pants with me.

As for brands, Osprey seems to be pretty reliable. Kelty is pretty good too but a little on the pricey side I think.

I used this one for no other reason than that I already had it, but it's cheap, reliable, and about 40 litres when you cut out the laptop sleeve.

http://www.targus.com/ca/voyager-laptop-backpack-black
>>
>>1209401
>Not OP but thanks m8
>>
>>1209071
Absolutely love my Osprey Farpoint 55. It's great to have the daypack included with the larger bag (ie. 40L is the large pack and 15L is the small pack that zips on).

It has locking zippers, is extremely comfortable, is large enough for plenty of things if you don't overpack, and I've never been denied carrying the large pack as a carry on (just unzip the small pack and switch the large into carry on mode, it looks smaller. Then the small pack counts are your personal item).

Can't speak highly enough about that bag. My only complaint is lack of compartments, but a simple cube system can fix that.

>>1209401
Kelty is a good brand as well, but they are actually much cheaper than Osprey, not more expensive. The Redwing 50 is very popular and available on Amazon for cheap. Only thing I don't like is lack of locking zippers, but not generally a huge deal.

Don't overestimate the size of the bag you need, 50-50L is plenty to life off, specially in a warm climate.
>>
In a warm climate I wouldn't go over 55. You could get an Osprey Atmos 65 and take the top bag off so your at around 55 but have the extra space for another trip. Osprey makes travel style bags and serious hiking bags so get the one for your needs. If you aren't doing 100+ mile hikes and have transportation always available, I'd get the Fairpoint 55 over an Atmos which is hiking oriented.
>>
what is essential is that it has a detachable day pack
>>
I am happy with my high Sierra, I've used it 11 months hitching around the country and it is still like New and I put my pack through hell.
>>
>>1209574
Right, Osprey is more expensive than Kelty. I must have mixed them up
>>
File: IMG_1364.jpg (7MB, 5152x3864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1364.jpg
7MB, 5152x3864px
A consideration you should keep in mind is whether it meets carry on requirements. Most 40 litre bags do while if you go more than that you might run into some trouble, especially on discount airlines. Like the other guy said, if you can remove something like a day pack from a 40L+ bag it should make go through the process earier
>>
File: 60321100.jpg (40KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
60321100.jpg
40KB, 800x1000px
Planning a RTW 8 month trip

I am looking into the Pacsafe Venturesafe EXP45
I am hoping its good, only a month old so the number of reviews I can find is limited
http://www.pacsafe.com/venturesafe-exp45-anti-theft-45l-carry-on-travel-pack.html
>>
>>1209843
Except for the front cover my girlfriend had that exact same one when we went to Europe for a few months. She loved it, but there was a seem that broke a little while on the trip, but she did over pack it. She had all of her stuff plus a pillow which probably pushed it to the limit. So my advice would not be to over pack it
>>
I go with the osprey porter 46, max carry on size and is pretty versatile. I was walking next to some pilots in the terminal once and they started complementing my backpack lol
>>
>>1209966
Can you use a 46l as a carry on bag even in those shitty ultra cheap airlines?
>>
>>1209985
I've used it on Jetstar and Tiger (two Australian LCC's) both domestic and international, Nok Air and Air Asia without issue, Peach Air(Japanese) as well as Jetstar Japan as well as a bunch of other full service airlines. Never run into any issues in the 3+ years I've been using the thing although I can't speak for American and Europe LCC's
>>
>>1209988
They don't even ask to measure or weigh?
Does it look small on you or something?
>>
>>1209989
the bag has external straps that help compress the internals and make it look a lot smaller than it is

as long as you don't pack it full to the brim with shit you can get away with pretty much anything. Never been weighed or measured. Keep in mind this bag was designed to get away with it though
>>
>>1209843
Fancy backpack, looks like more for studentsand new age eco-executives to me.

Not for adventure, dirty, hard environment travels.
I would rather Deuter Backpacks, they are the best in my opinion.
>>
>>1210850
Pacsafe has some interesting security features.
Also, it can open like a proper bag, making it easier to organize everything.
It doesn't stand out, specially if you choose black.
If anything, Deuter backpacks are the ones that are way more showy and totally screams "I'm a backpacker" with their backpack full of compression straps and whatnot.
>>
>>1210850
Thanks I will look into Deuter, do you know off the top of your head if they have any suitcase type opening bags?
>>
I'm going traveling for 5 months and have bought the osprey farpoint 70. I'm going to be camping but also be in an urban environment, so I thought it would be a good middle man.

>>1209574
I know you've said the 55 is big enough but with me camping do you think I'll have enough space. The one I've ordered hasn't arrived yet so I don't know what to expect.
>>
>>1211210
I suppose it depends on how compact your tent is, I know they make them pretty small these days.

To give you an idea of how much space the 55 has, here is a list of all the things I had in my large pack during my last trip (not including the small pack which had valuables + souvenirs)

Extra pair of shoes (sperries or runners depending on what I was wearing at the time)
flip flops
rain jacket (compact travel jacket)
pair of jeans (didn't wear them once)
dress shirt
2 polos
2 t-shirts (dressy)
4 white undershirts
1 PFG shirt
3 tank tops
4 pairs of shorts
water bottle
microfiber travel towel
stolen airline blanket
bathroom bag (rather larger size for a guy)
various small items like combination locks

It was pretty tight, but I managed to get all of that in there. I would think if you plan it out right you should be able to get everything you would need in a 70L for that type of trip
>>
>>1209071
I think I'm going to get a Patagonia Black Hole 32L. Unzips all the way 'round and is small enough not to be fatiguing walking around.

I don't pack much (or don't plan to) so I think it will work. Anyone have one?
>>
>>1209985
I did a bunch of research, the Opsrey 40L is the biggest one that will work on the major airlines (according to their specs for a carry on) I know a lot of people get by with the 46 and don't get a hassle, but you could run into an issue.

If you are checking it, no problem, get what you want.
>>
I've been travelling out of a carry on backpack for ever. I rock a goruck gr1 21l. For me, it's really the only way to go. I'm at a point now where I have upgraded most of my gear to where I actually have space left over. Keep in mind this is for urban environments, camping, etc will obviously require more space/items.

The core of this is utilising quality fabrics/materials, and understanding how to stay warm/clean on the road. Merino (inb4) is awesome. Quick to dry (sweat/rain/laundering), packs small, and looks good. Can go almost a week without washing shirts, days for socks (rotating). Quality pants, leather boots, comf sneakers, a good shell (really important, a rain/windproof layer over woollen base can deal with so many conditions).

Here's my list/what I wear when flying:

On me (generally, most of the heavier/bulkier items):
> Merino tank (icebreaker anatomica)
> Hoodie (comf and is slightly isolating, good for long hauls)
> Merino jocks
> Outlier pants
> Belt
> Merino socks
> Boots (currently Solovair Derby's)
> Sunglasses
> EDC (wallet, phone, keys, passport, earbuds, AAA battery flashlight (ti tool), lighter, pen (kaweco lilliput), notebook (midori passport, also houses passport))

Packed:

Clothing (in double sided packing cube (clean side/dirty side)):
> 1 more merino tank
> 1 merino t shirt
> White linen button up (my wardrobe is almost entirely black, it's nice to have a decent white shirt also linen rules)
> 3 more pairs of socks
> 1 more merino jocks
> Swim trunks/shorts
> Merino long johns
> Shetland wool beanie
> Shell (some Flux Melbourne number I picked up here, not the best, but it does the job alright) (actually just loose in bag)

Separate small bag:
> Sneakers
>>
>>1211443
Tech bag:
> 2gb hard drive with usbc otg cable (phone is nexus 6P, can drag and drop whatever I want/carry a lot of digital content)
> USB drive (small one for printing shit or whatever, takes up no space)
> Charger
> Battery pack
> Headphone splitter
> Bluetooth keyboard (not always, but it's p small)
> Bluetooth speaker

Toiletries:
> ~30" square homemade linen towel
> Toothpaste
> Toothbrush
> Deodorant
> Multi purpose soap (more often than not Dr. Bronner's, can be used for laundry, bathing, shampoo (though I sport a buzzcut), whatever...)
> Nail clippers
> Hand sanitizer
> Condoms
> Bandaids
> Wipes

Other:
> A book
> Rope (7m hemp rope, useful for so much shit)
> Ziplock bags
> Duct tape
> Playing cards
> Dice

That's pretty much it. I look decent on the road, can survive temperatures ranging from 0°-35°C, launder maybe once a week (can use either a sink or a laundromat, doesn't really matter), can up and go whenever wherever with little hassle, don't scream "tourist!" really anywhere, and I'm constantly super comfy.

Also, picking up shit for, say, colder climes then dumping/donating it is super easy/affordable, and if it's that cold then I'm gonna be wearing it, not packing it.

It really is liberating travelling so light. Hell, even living this light (p much what I do).

I know this is kind of a pretentious post, but I figured I'd contribute the way I travel. It's also not as expensive as it sounds, if you get quality shit you don't need as much and it lasts longer... I've just slowly been upgrading from cotton tees, etc over the years and it's been fucking great.
>>
>>1211400
Thanks for the info. Another question I have to ask is while I was looking at the farpoint series I never saw a reviews or specific info about the day pack. How is it? Could you fit a laptop in one?
>>
>>1211506
The day pack is on the smaller side. Smaller than a regular Jansport backpack. It does have a laptop sleeve built into it (not super padded but does have a little protection), however it's also fairly small. You might be able to squeeze a 15 inch laptop in it, any bigger than that and I don't think it would fit. It will fit a 5 subject 5 star 8in/11in noteboook, but probably not much bigger than that (just tested it out)

It also has a zipper pocket on the inside, and a zipper pocket on the outside towards the top. Also has 2 water bottle holders which are extremely handy.

It's a good little pack, good enough to carry the necessities around with you if you wanna leave the big pack at the hostel/hotel.
>>
>>1211731
>>1211731
>It's a good little pack, good enough to carry the necessities around with you if you wanna leave the big pack at the hostel/hotel.

That's what I'm thinking of doing. Would a 12" laptop, SLR camera and various charging cables fit?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.