[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which city in America has the most efficient public train system?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

File: WAH.png (347KB, 439x466px) Image search: [Google]
WAH.png
347KB, 439x466px
Which city in America has the most efficient public train system? You know, for people that don't want to waste money on buying a car
>>
>>1207652
Chicago is pretty good.
>>
probably the only thing i like about nyc is the public transport system, but stay away from that place for every other reason...
>>
Atlanta pretty good, so long as you live inside the perimeter.
>>
The obvious is New York. LA got better, but it's still shit.
>>1208108
I didn't even know you guys had trains.
>>
>>1207652
>Which city in America has the most efficient public train system? You know, for people that don't want to waste money on buying a car
The problem is this....the cities you wouldn't want a car have a higher cost of living, such that, you probably could easily afford a car if you lived somewhere outside of them instead. If you're a drunk or some anxiety disorder or mental block about driving, then probably NYC or DC is your best best for East coast do anything you want without a car. You could live somewhere and work somewhere smallish like Key West or Miami, where everywhere you want to go is walking distance, or a quick bus or taxi. For good public transport, many like San Francisco for West Coast.
>>
>>1208112
>or Miami
I meant to say "Miami Beach" you know, not to ever leave it, but you'd certainly want a car to live in Dade County elsewhere.
>>
I remember visiting Washington D.C. and finding it kind of funny that all of the lines going to the major tourist sites (White House, Washington Monument, etc) were are run down antiques from the 1970s, but as soon as went into the line heading into the suburbs it was like you jumped 50 years into the future.
>>
>>1208113
A car is required in pretty much every part of South Florida. Despite being stuck between the Everglades and the Ocean we never learned to build densely, just kept building north.
>>
>>1207652
DC
>>
>>1207652
DC technically has the best with NYC and Chicago being about neck and neck for 2nd

They're all total shit compared to basically any subway system in Japan or China though
>>
>>1207652
the answer is: none. the only way it's possible is to spend a ridiculous amount on living in the inner city close to your place of work.
>>
>>1208150
this has me disappointed. i'd like to live somewhere that i could just move across the city easily enough, but that doesn't happen in america
>>
NOT Philadelphia. The system there is large, but well behind the times for any innovation, and it essentially shuts down at 1AM. Worse yet they stopped expanding it in 1957, and haven't looked back.
>>
File: tumblr_o5okukKZv11uk9swio1_540.jpg (53KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5okukKZv11uk9swio1_540.jpg
53KB, 540x540px
>>1208108
no fucking way. unless you are taking the MARTA to georgia tech, the stops themselves are way too far from actual shit to do
>>
File: 280px-Xm1.jpg (13KB, 280x127px) Image search: [Google]
280px-Xm1.jpg
13KB, 280x127px
Hey honest question are you gay? Like, are you going to meet your date on the bus and try to make out in the back seat? Join the rest of the world over 16 and get a car.
>>
>>1208118
>A car is required in pretty much every part of South Florida. Despite being stuck between the Everglades and the Ocean we never learned to build densely, just kept building north.
If you never want to leave Miami Beach, you don't need a car.
>>
>>1207652
Chicago.
Minneapolis too, although random delays and construction inhibit the transit's overall efficiency.
>>
>>1208749
Then that doesn't sound efficient at all and pretty annoying.
>>
>Japanese regularly fall asleep on trains without being disturbed by strangers
>meanwhile in america....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeCg1i-jTSw
>>
>>1208436
The Broad Street extension to AT&T(Pattison)was done after 1957.
>>
>>1208870
seems like they did that because the sleeping guy was being disrespectful by taking up all that space
>>
>>1209479
Lol so then why not just wake him up to move instead of doing some gay passive aggressive bs
>>
>>1207652

DC >> NYC > Chicago >>>>>>>>>> everything else
>>
Anyone who says Chicago has never left their suburb

I grew up in Chicago, their transit is dogshit compared to DC and New York
>>
>>1209479
That's not a good enough reason to do something like that to someone who's just really tired and fell asleep. To add insult to injurty, he spits out food he chewed up on his face. Disgusting. Total coward and one of the reasons why American transit is garbage.
>>
>>1207652

Related question: what cities in America have serviceable bus/streetcar/other public transport systems? I can't drive due to a disability and the thought of being stuck with either NYC, San Francisco, or DC (where I currently am) as far as places to live in the states is horrible to me.
>>
I was only in Boston for a few days this past summer, but they seemed to have their shit together. Plus, there's always uber + lyft.
>>
>>1210701
Portland, san Diego if you live near the downtown or on the trolley line, 'Go, and philly
>>
>>1211635
>The T
>Having it's shit together
Wait until winter, all hell breaks loose.

OP do not go to Boston if you plan on relying on the subway to get you to work on time in the winter.
>>
NYC and it's not even close.
>>
DOn't listen to these chuckles.
Chicago is the BEST hands down I've been on. But you have to not get shot, that's the trick
>>
The only correct answer is New York, which also happens to be the only good city in the US

>>1208490
>Join the rest of the world over 16 and get a car.
Fuck off suburbanite
>>
File: subway-map-big.gif (250KB, 963x1248px) Image search: [Google]
subway-map-big.gif
250KB, 963x1248px
>Which city in America has the most efficient public train system?

New York City. It's no contest.

It's debateable which city has the second best trains in the country, but NYC is #1 by far. The subway runs 24/7, it covers a huge amount of the city, and it also has the most extensive commuter rail system in the country.
>>
>>1208492
Why the hell does Dade County have a commuter rail,a metro and buses that run on half hour intervals? Idiotic.
>>
>>1208492
Thats stupid

Miami beach is like 8 square miles total, you wouldn't need a car in any city if for some stupid reason you never wanted to travel outside of one small neighborhood of it.
>>
File: 1485983187555.jpg (53KB, 640x347px) Image search: [Google]
1485983187555.jpg
53KB, 640x347px
>>1214369
>commuter rail
Useless unless you happen to be going somewhere that's not near a station on the single line, which is 99% of the metro area

>metro
Same as above, it covers less than 5% of the city and only goes downtown and to the ghetto of Hialeah.

>buses
ahahahaha go fuck yourself
>>
File: Overall-Regional-Rail.jpg (371KB, 1200x1124px) Image search: [Google]
Overall-Regional-Rail.jpg
371KB, 1200x1124px
>>1214365
NYC Regional commuter rail
>>
File: lirr-map.gif (113KB, 1254x629px) Image search: [Google]
lirr-map.gif
113KB, 1254x629px
>>1214380
Long Island Railroad
>>
File: metro-north-railroad-map.png (276KB, 2590x2299px) Image search: [Google]
metro-north-railroad-map.png
276KB, 2590x2299px
>>1214381
Metro North Railroad
>>
>>1208750
I'm sorry.
>>
File: station_selector_2016.jpg (175KB, 809x1300px) Image search: [Google]
station_selector_2016.jpg
175KB, 809x1300px
>>1214383
New Jersey Transit commuter rail

As much as I love driving, I love trains too. I've been thinking of a little challenge to do, which would be to travel the Northeast corridor from the Southernmost DC commuter rail station in Virginia to the Northernmost Boston commuter rail Station in New Hampshire via local public transit. There are a few gaps in between commuter rail networks, but some regional transportation authorities may have bus lines in those areas. If not, I'd fill in the gap by taking an Amtrak regional train to the next possible commiter rail stop. God damn this sounds so fun to me
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.