[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello everybody. My best friend and I are planning a trip t

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: DSCN0426.jpg (6MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0426.jpg
6MB, 3456x4608px
Hello everybody.

My best friend and I are planning a trip to Europe, and while we have the basics lined out, I was wanting to get some suggestions on what to do from locals or other travelers who have been to the countries we're going to.

We'll land in England and hang out with some friends of ours before heading out to France, Germany, Belgium, and The Netherlands. Any advice would be appreciated, if you have recommendations for food or a warning about tourist scams to watch out for.

Personally, I'm most interested in finding the best vantage points to take photos (the higher the better) as well as any cool architecture, and my friend is looking for historic sites and good drinks.

https://www.routeperfect.com/itineraries/31-day-friends-trip-london-united-kingdom-to-amsterdam-netherlands.html?id=7ac36d67

I've been to England before but otherwise I have not traveled much, I'll post some of my favorite photos from England in the meantime.

Thanks!
>>
File: DSCN0489.jpg (6MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0489.jpg
6MB, 4608x3456px
Bump
>>
>>1205816
I always find movie filming locations to be worth photographing. Search the web for some of the sets of your favorite films.
>>
File: DSCN0531.jpg (6MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0531.jpg
6MB, 4608x3456px
>>1206091
Oh, I actually took some photos in Malham-dale, and I'm almost certain they filmed some of GoT up there, cause the whole place looked like Winterfell.
>>
File: skeletons in france.jpg (509KB, 1280x1017px) Image search: [Google]
skeletons in france.jpg
509KB, 1280x1017px
>posting 6mb SOoC jpgs
neat pictures. where were those two lanscapes taken?
>>
>>1206136
I mean specifically where in malhamdale were they taken? I might be going there some time soon. Any tips for photographing that area?
>>
File: 20160620_214915.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160620_214915.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1206139
Well the place is extremely small and located on top if a giant hill, we were just taking one of the two roads out if the village. It's actually pretty rough driving on it if you can't handle steep roads, we sure couldn't. My English friend didn't wanna stay long so we left right after I took that photo. The other two images are from the Grange over Sands, located in the Lake District near the Scottish border.

Sorry for the large file size, I'm a pleb with my camera.
>>
>>1205816
Belgian here.

In Flanders you'll find a lot of historical/cultural stuff (museums, architecture etc). Ghent and Bruges are the go-to destinations for this. Brussels and Antwerp have plenty of the same but I've heard many people complain that they're too.... eh... cosmopolitan/multicultural? As in, the nice sights are kinda drowned out by the rest of those cities that may as well be any random Western European capital, both in urban appearance and population. I'm not gonna start listing all the sights in these cities because you can find more than I know through google.
I live in Leuven, which is a small city east of Brussels. I wouldn't say it's a must see, but it can definitely be a comfy day or even afternoon trip because it really doesn't feel like a city here, it's more like a big town and there's only a handful sights. The university here has some nice buildings (central library mostly, as well as the university halls to a lesser extent) and the city hall and churches are pretty. In addition there are a ton of pubs all over the city.

In Wallonia you can find plenty of picturesque towns (like Dinant, Durbuy, Couvin, Bouillon to give some examples but obv many more) and vantage points, especially in the Ardennes. As for cities in Wallonia: Namur, Mons and Tournai are alright although none of them really compare to the previously mentioned Flemish cities. I guess you could say they're more cute because they're not surrounded by flat urbanization. I personally didn't quite like Liège but that's not to say the city is objectively unpleasant.
Whatever you do, DO NOT go to Charleroi. Post-industrial shithole.
>>
>>1206096
Winterfell is filmed in Northern Ireland which looks a lot like in that pic
>>
>>1206167
Thank you for the insightful post, those sound like some excellent places to visit and we were definitely the most uninformed on Belgium of all the nations we're traveling to.

I do agree that some cities look too cookie cutter for my liking, that's why I'm yearning to see as many unique places as possible. We will be sure to make a stop in Leuven at the very least but we're going to try and be as mobile as possible so maybe we can visit all your suggestions.
>>
>>1206167
Oh, one more thing, is there any Belgium specific food you suggest we try?
>>
File: redlion2.jpg (24KB, 480x269px) Image search: [Google]
redlion2.jpg
24KB, 480x269px
Great thread, bumpity bamp, get yourself up to Liverpool OP, gorgeous city (once you separate from the regular tourist shite) a very distinct and unique identity to that city and its people.
>>
>>1206216
I didn't see Liverpool last time so I'll give it a shot, since we're in England for a whole week. Do you have any favorite restauraunts? I liked Casa de Pico in Swindon, along with a place called The Chop House.
>>
>>1206218
Maggie Mays on Bold street will give you a taste of the local (try the Scouse, our namesake), however my favourite restaurant is an Italian gaff called Casa Italia, fantastic scran and service
>>
>>1206218
>Liverpool restuarants
If you've got cash, The London Carriage Works is legendary.
Go up into the Georgian quater theres a few nice restuarants and a load of really unique pubs.
>>
>>1206224
I had to look up Scouse, I love stew, I'm surprised it wasn't offered anywhere in Wiltshire. Or maybe I didn't notice.
>>
File: Pie.jpg (39KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Pie.jpg
39KB, 540x960px
>>1206237
Because its just a local dish my mate, you'll find that every where in Britain you go there is a endemic regional dish that hardly anyone outside the area knows about, fascinating really

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=regional%20english%20dishes
>>
>>1206167
God I love and miss Leuven. Spent a semester on Erasmus there about five years ago.

>>1206212
Moules frites or maybe some rabbit stewed in beer.
>>
>>1206212
Here's my quick rundown on Belgian food:
- Frituur:
This is our comfort food. It's cheap and incredibly trashy (more greasy and even worse quality meats than McDonalds). Frituur places are usually small take-away shops, often being no more than a container or food truck-ish. Google images will give you a good idea.
- Stoofvlees (Carbonade Flamande in French and Flemish stew in English):
is the quintessential Flemish dish. It's beef stewed in beer in a certain way. Tastes great, always paired with fries, and is usually one of the cheapest dishes.
- Vol-au-vent (we usually use the French name but sometimes called koninginnenhapje or kippenpastei):
Chicken, meatballs and mushrooms in a sauce, poured over a piece of pastry. Usually paired with fries or mash potatoes. Just like stoofvlees, it's often the cheapest dish in diners/restaurants.
- Pastries:
Tons of shit, not just croissants. You can find them at every single bakery. I personally like a "mattentaart".
- Smoutebollen:
eaten during carnavals. Wiki has a page on it titled "oliebol".
- Waffles:
There's two kinds: the Liège waffle which is mostly sold at waffle stands in bigger cities, and the Brussels waffle which is more common in tearooms. The cities are just names, you can get them all over the country. Liege waffle is sweeter, Brussels waffle is much lighter. People will typically put sugar, chocolate, syrup or whatever rly on their waffles.
- Chocolate:
No need to explain this one. Though word of advice: if a store advertises for "Belgian chocolates", specifically in English, it's usually way overpriced. Besides the standard bars of chocolate, you can also try our pralines (they're different from the French and American pralines).
- Speculoos (the Dutch say Speculaas):
It's a kind of cookie, fairly plain as is. However I've noticed foreigners go wild over "speculoospasta" which is like Nutella but made from Speculoos. Smear it on a sandwich, people like it. I'm personally not a big fan.
>>
>>1206552
I'm from a state in the U.S. called Missouri, I know "cheap and incredibly trashy" like no one else! Thanks for the breakdown, friend.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.