[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My itinerary has 6 days in switzerland but I can't decide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: imgres.jpg (4KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
4KB, 284x177px
My itinerary has 6 days in switzerland but I can't decide where to visit. I'm also looking for the best hike to see the Matterhorn (during the winter). Thanks.
>>
>>1202677
I'm in Switzerland but I only know Zurich really. Lived here 4ish years. Don't spend more than 2 days in the city, especially if all you have is 6 days for the whole country.

If you come to Zurich then you've got these various locations to consider (just google to find the actual area):
>niederdorf
the old town where you find cobblestone streets and the buildings are all usually 300+/- years old, lots of good restaurants but all a little more expensive than normal
>langstrasse
whores, bars of various calibre some of which being really cool, strippers, can buy drugs here if that's your thing
>hardbrücke
club area. Be prepared for overpriced everything but its where it's cool to go to
>bahnhofstrasse
shopping, ranging from the biggest grocery stores to the most expensive name brands items. Flea market near the lake end on Saturday afternoons
>Bellevue
cinema, lakeside restaurants, some shopping, just a generally aesthetic place.
>>
>>1202677
Don't stay in Zurich. Stay in Bern- more interesting city for 2 days. And not as expensive as Zurich.

You're prolly staying in Zermatt if you're going to see the Matterhorn. Might be too much snow and shitty weather but ask your receptionist. That town is made for Matterhorn tourists
>>
>>1202846
>>1202851
Thanks, I'm also considering going to Grindelwald and Interlaken. Is one better than the other in terms of scenery and comfy old town vibes?
>>
File: Gimmelwald1.jpg (98KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Gimmelwald1.jpg
98KB, 720x960px
>>1202906
Haven't been to Grindelwald but I've been to Gimmelwald (you go south from Lauterbrunnen on a bus for 5 minutes and take a gondola up)

Pic related. A fellow /trv/ler had recommended it to me and I stayed in the Mountain Hostel (important, look this up). Really interesting place. It's a village of 120 people, mostly swiss farmers. It's the most relaxed hostel I've been in before.

You're right in the alps so you can do nice hikes from there. I have no clue how the weather is now as I've said, so your mileage will definitely be different. Rick Steves has rated this village as his favorite place in Europe if that's your thing. Oh, and you're also right in front of Jungfraujoch.

The receptionist is some British guy who immigrated cause he fell in love with a Swiss girl there. He's really a nice guy and will give you good advice on hikes and shit. I've met people that have rented equipment there as well for skiing.

I was in Schweiz around the beginning of August. Interlaken was my last destination of the trip and of course I stayed at Balmers. The hostel had a lot of potential for being a nice party hostel, but there were so many Chinese and South Koreans that stayed there (made friends with a guy in Gimmelwald who said he was the only white guy staying there when he went). It's an okay town. Just remember you're there to hike, go paragliding/skydiving/bungee jumping, not to get wasted and walk around the city a bunch. It is a comfy town, but not as much as Bern.

Anymore questions anon?
>>
>>1202923
I just made my booking at Mountain Hostel, thanks for that. I also decided to stay in Bern instead of Zurich.
>>
File: BabyEater.jpg (76KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
BabyEater.jpg
76KB, 600x800px
>>1202851
>Stay in Bern
Bern is beautiful. Be sure to snap a pic of the baby eater statue.
>>
>>1202677

Bern for sure. Lucerne is nice too.

Best to go in Summertime over Winter.
>>
File: schilthornhike.jpg (166KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
schilthornhike.jpg
166KB, 750x500px
>>1202931
You've made a good decision, Anon.

While I was in Bern I stayed at their hostel which was, again, full of Asians who were there. Included in the fee is a free pass for their public transit which is very useful. However, I met a girl in Prague a couple months before who lives in Bern and she gave me her own personal tour of the city which was 100x better than I could have ever done. Some things that we did that I'd include:

Kornhauskeller if you are in the mood to splurge or have a drink in a nice environment. It is genuinely the nicest restaurant/bar I have ever been in. Check it out: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188052-d751683-Reviews-Kornhauskeller-Bern_Bern_Mittelland_District_Canton_of_Bern.html

Cross the bridge and go to the Rose Garden (Rosengarten) on the top of the hill. It gives you an entire panoramic view of Bern and many people go up there at sunset to drink and watch the sun go down.

Find a place to go on a Toboggan ride if you never have done it before. It's a lot more fun than it looks.

Another note, make sure to buy food in Lauterbrunnen at the grocery store before you go up to Gimmelwald as the restaurants will close sooner than you think and there is no shop in Gimmelwald. The hostel does sell pizzas until a certain time but they are like 25 francs. I was told that there is some kind of "Food bank" where you can just walk into some unlocked door to grab charity food and leave money, but I never did it.

Remember, the purpose of the Mountain Hostel is to go hiking and do outdoors things. You'll have a couple beers with some very interesting folks up there if it's busy, but it will be practically empty during daytime. All the doors are unlocked and there are no lockers- it has been a hostel since 1939. Pic related is a google image from the longest hike you can do there to Schilthorn mountain. This is what I did. Enjoy your time, Switzerland is beautiful.
>>
>>1202934
I have now added Bern to my "must visit" list, just to see that statue and marvel at it.
>>
This guy has some really great travel video from Switzerland:
https://www.youtube.com/user/denniscallan/search?query=switzerland

If I were to go to Switzerland I would divide my time between Bern, Luzern, and the Bernese Oberland (Swiss Alp -- Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Gimmelwald, Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, etc...).
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.