[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to Germany with 4 friends, one German born ( we are staying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1374990239506.gif (718KB, 433x289px) Image search: [Google]
1374990239506.gif
718KB, 433x289px
Going to Germany with 4 friends, one German born ( we are staying at his house in the countryside for 2 weeks while we adventure/sightsee)
I'm from upstate NY, never traveled out of continent. Looking at June
Timeframe, what do I bring? Any tips?
I would like to bring a knife, but I don't know restrictions
Citrus allergy, I have chrons as well. Only flight I've been on has been a 3 hour plane to Philly.
Really a duck out of water for these kinds of things. The trip was our late friends idea, he passed away in late November from heart problems.

I'm 22 if that affects anything
I don't have a passport.
We will be renting a car for travel
>>
>>1202004
>I don't have a passport.
How do you expect to get into Europe without one?
>>
>>1202025
I meant more along the lines of I'm in the process of getting one
Should of said I don't have one *yet*
>>
Knife restrictions depend on its size, maybe a German anon can look them up better. Obviously you need to carry it in your bag and not carryon.
>>
>>1202027
You also should have said "should have".
>>
>>1202029
Also on that note how much should I pack for this 2 week stay? Any local specialties I should try out?
>>
>>1202004
Well OP, this is just me, but northern Germany isn't the Germany you are probably thinking about, you got 4 types of Germany
>Bavaria, this is the stereotypical Germany, fun shit to do, some of the alps are in this region, my favorite part
>Alsace and Black Forest area, this is more French and German culture combined areas my second favorite
>Bremen area, pretty much a lot like the Netherlands and is usually cold as shit and rainy
>Berlin area, stay out of the big cities and it's kinda fun, I personally hate the giant northern cities and northern Germany

I'd suggest going to Prague, Salzburg, Bern, Colmar, Munich, Nueschwanstein, depending on where you are
>>
>>1202031
Where the fuck are you staying?
>>
>>1202044
>>1202042
I'm working on finding that out. If I remember correctly its northern Germany countryside. Might of said it's 3 hours to London iirc, but that might of been by train.
I'll confirm once I get a reply from the guy whose family owns the house
>>
>>1202046
MIGHT HAVE
Stop triggering me.
>>
>>1202046
>3 hours to London
>by train
>Germany

Dude, you seriously need to get some clue. Look at a map.
>>
>>1202050
>>1202049
>>1202044
>>1202042
Got the actual info
It's southern Germany
Near the city of Neustadt
That's near the French border right?
>>
>>1202054
Yes, definitely try to visit Strasbourg, friebourg and colmar, also take a train to Stuttgart and Munich, trains are pretty fast and usually cheap
>>
File: Film3916_28a.jpg (562KB, 1546x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Film3916_28a.jpg
562KB, 1546x1024px
>>1202054
If it's "Neustadt an der Weinstrasse" - yes.
This is in famous wine growing area.

In that case I suggest to visit:

Ladenburg - day trip - 2000 years old town dating back to the Romans. They have 2 museums:
http://www.automuseum-ladenburg.de/
with many historic cars
and
http://www.lobdengau-museum.de/
about local history - Roman era most interesting

Strassbourg - for the cathedral
Colmar
maybe Heidelberg (will be crowded)

Suggest to visit one of the many wine festivals. Ask your German to navigate:
https://www.pfalz.de/wein-und-genuss/weinfeste-und-events?page=4

TO the north: Mittelrhein is an area with lots of medieval castles:
http://www.rheingau.de/sehenswertes/burgen-rheintal
and
http://www.romantischer-rhein.de/
<- photo is from Rüdesheim am Rhein
>>
File: Ladenburg.jpg (577KB, 1546x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ladenburg.jpg
577KB, 1546x1024px
>>1202710
>>
>>1202710
I am from one of the bigger cities in the near of Neustadt, now living in Mannheim (Great city if you like history or shopping)
good hints, but do Heidelberg for sure, great city.
In what are you interested? Nature/history/sport/Shopping?

Nature: "Dahner felsenland" is nice, if you like hiking then do the "burgenweg"
Also the rhine at "Koblenz/bad münster am stein" is nice.

Visit "schloss schwetzingen" when you visit ladenburg and heidelberg.

-there are football/icehockey/ Handball stadiums in this area. Icehockey would be boring compared to NHL, but if you never were in a football (soccer arena), den you gonna see what a difference a passionate crowd can make.
sadly, it's in winter break right now.

Eat: M.chron is shit, but you should still try a lot. try"weinschorle", mix of wine with sparkling. Great, but probaly will knock you out if you are not carefull, people tend to underestimate the alkohol. otherwise, try "apfelschorle".
Try "saumagen", "dampfknödel", the dark bread with cheese & "frischkäse" and "wurst".
Of course you should try "Pfälzer Bratwurst".
That are the things my friends from Mexico/GB/India liked.
>>
>>1202042
Northern germany is shit, right on mate.
Great recs.
>>
dont take a knife with you bud, aint legal here in krautland
>>
>>1203752
Yeah this one confuses me - why the knife? To prevent being mugged by Hitler or something?
>>
>>1203760
>To prevent being mugged by Hitler or something?
If Hitler was still alive germany wouldn't be this messy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlm2YGuKfcg
>>
>>1203752
There's got to be at least SOME blade length legal there
>>1202710
I'm a bit of a car nerd so that sounds pretty great
Castles are pretty great too
>>
>>1202004
>>1204273
Your knives must be less than 12cm long and not lockable with one hand. You are also forbidden from walking around with the knife in public when you are not using it.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.