[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's color in one map with the places we've been in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 17

File: template.png (352KB, 4972x2517px) Image search: [Google]
template.png
352KB, 4972x2517px
Let's color in one map with the places we've been in 2016, and where we plan to go in 2017.
>>
File: png.png (503KB, 4972x2517px) Image search: [Google]
png.png
503KB, 4972x2517px
>>
File: pine creek.jpg (2MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
pine creek.jpg
2MB, 2304x1728px
>filling in another goddamn map like anyone else will look at it
nah.

going to japan in 2 days, oregon in the summer, otherwise just gonna spend a lot of time kicking around places that look like this.
>>
File: 1483248222578.png (502KB, 4972x2517px) Image search: [Google]
1483248222578.png
502KB, 4972x2517px
>>1198220
East Flanders because I live there.

As for South America, I started overanding north from Asunción on December 2nd of 2015. I was in the Santa Cruz department on the January 1st 2016.

I'm still in the very early stages of planning my next trips.
>>
File: realtravelermap2016.png (533KB, 4972x2517px) Image search: [Google]
realtravelermap2016.png
533KB, 4972x2517px
Holy shit OP that subdivision map is horribly outdated. Here's the most current version.

However, there are two issues left to be fixed. I'd like to have some input from /trv/'s subdivisions collectors community before editing the map further:

1. Luxembourg abolished its three districts in 2015 so now the country's top-level administrative units are the 12 cantons. I found it impossible to even remotely accurately represent these on a map due to Luxembourgs small size. In my opinion, it can be fixed in three ways.
a) Leave the old districts on the map despite being outdated.
b) Separate the country into two parts: Guttland and the Oesling (http://www.luxembourg.public.lu/de/cartes-du-luxembourg/03-regions-geographiques/index.html). The country is traditionally divided into these two regions but they don't serve administrative or legal purposes.
c) Actually add all 12 cantons on the map. It would look very inaccurate and most cantons wouldn't be larger than 3 pixels in size.
d) No internal borders for Luxembourg at all which doesn't seem too unreasonable considering how small it is.

2. Slovenia currently uses its historical regions for the map. The country's actual top-level administrative units are municipalities, of which there are over 200 - impossible to show on the map. Personally I'm in favor of replacing the historical regions with Slovnia's statistical regions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_regions_of_Slovenia). Currently they are only used for statistical purposes but they're expected to become first-level administrative units some time in the future.
>>
>>1198434
I do prefer that the other one divides the UK in to more zones than just if you've been in London for a weekend you've seen it all kind of feel.
Maybe they could be in the new map? Also Taiwan have regions (like only five or six) and should be divided for the same reason
>>
>>1198220

I am beyond sick of these stupid fucking "subdivision" maps. As much as I enjoy shit-posting and spending my time unproductively, I don't want to take ten minutes to color in counties, provinces, and states.

Can somebody please post a template that's not Real Traveler-approved?
>>
>>1198483
Yeah there's a degree of autism required to appreciate the beauty of this map.

Personally I love it. Subdivisions I haven't unlocked yet are a huge factor for me when planning a travel itinerary.
>>
>>1198434
I found a purple pixel in Germany, did you use it before?
>>
File: realtravelermap2016.png (497KB, 4972x2517px) Image search: [Google]
realtravelermap2016.png
497KB, 4972x2517px
>>1198521
Great eyes, champ. I'm not sure how that pixel ended up there; I've edited the map several times because administrative subdivisions change or are abolished over time. I don't recall ever working on Germany though, let alone using purple color.
It's gone now in any case.

>>1198469
The map is based on the countries' largest subdivisions. In the case of the UK, these are the constituent countries of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Adding their respective subdivisions would open a whole new can of worms; England's counties would be easy enough, but Wales for example has 22 principal areas. I prefer leaving the UK as it is.
>>
>>1198510
Me too. A little bit of autism never did anyone no harm
>>
>>1198535
>A little bit of autism never did anyone no harm
>never did anyone no harm
>never did no harm
so it DID do harm. faggot.
>>
>>1198527
>The map is based on the countries' largest subdivisions
Belgium isn't.
I would at least reconcider England. The other countries of the UK are much smaller, both in area and population.

>>1198434
The Oesling region seems to largely coincide with the former Diekirch canton, while Guttland seems to be the other two merged.

Whatever you do for Luxemburg and Slovenia, I would break them down into mere pixels. I'd say they are fine as they are now.

Also, let's change Moldova.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_divisions_of_Moldova#Counties_.281998-2003.29
>>
>>1198708
Me again

>>1198527
I would keep NI, Wales and Scotland as they are and change England to pic related.

Also, but this is just me as a Belgian, I have kept the former subdivisions of France.
>>
>>1198711
I vote for this one for the UK. I also agree with you that some of the countries have other largest subdivisions. For example Sweden could be divided in to just three regions, which is done commonly but mostly in weather forecasts and so on. The same is true for Japan (Kansai, Kantou etc) etc.
>>
File: 1483248222578.png (502KB, 4972x2517px) Image search: [Google]
1483248222578.png
502KB, 4972x2517px
>>1198220
>>
Romania seems to be in the process of changing of their regions. If there is no actual level of government at the NUTS-II but is in place for statistical purposes, does it count?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_divisions_of_Romania#Current_status
>>
File: memesssss.png (96KB, 484x600px) Image search: [Google]
memesssss.png
96KB, 484x600px
>>1198708
>Belgium isn't.
Neither is the Netherlands actually. The Kingdom of the Netherlands is actually made up of 4 constituent countries, the Netherlands proper and three colonial leftovers in the Caribbean. But leaving the Netherlands without any internal borders would be utterly ridiculous. Splitting Belgium into just Flanders and Wallonia is equally appaling.

>Also, let's change Moldova.
Yeah Moldova is a mess. But I'm very opposed to using old administrative units which no longer have any relevance as a base for internal borders.
You could however, make a case for breaking up Moldova into its development regions. They don't serve any administrative purposes but look very appropriate for a country of its size. I think I'm gonna do that.
Montenegro is a similar offender. Might change it to what is shown here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regions_of_Montenegro

>>1198711
That England looks fine. Still feel bad about Wales and Scotland though. They are a little to big to be left empty imo.

>>1198737
I try to base the internal borders on official first-level administrative units whenever possible - and reasonable. (Latvia for example is not very reasonable: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Latvijas_novadi_un_pagasti.png)
It's the easiest and most common denominator even though I know that there's a lot of countries that are commonly divided in traditional cultural regions. For example nobody in France gives a fuck about the recently merged regions. Alsace is still Alsace for the French, and not part of the artificial meme region "Grand Est".
But the new administrative units are what they are now, and since they're not a clusterfuck I put them on the map.

>>1198745
I generally only use something else than top-level administrative units for internal borders when it's literally impossible to put them on the map, see Latvia. Romania looks very fine. The counties are a bit small in size but not unreasonably so.

Gonna work on map later.
>>
>>1198765
>But leaving the Netherlands without any internal borders would be utterly ridiculous. Splitting Belgium into just Flanders and Wallonia is equally appaling.
That's why I'm advocating you split up England as well.

Make sure you post any changes you make here. Do you just do it yourself pixel by pixel in paint, or do you use some other type of software?
>>
>>1198773
I use graphics gale which is great for any pixel stuff.
>>
>>1198774
Can you give me a tl;dr on it? Or is it just like paint zooming in to 800%? Do you still draw the borders with your loose hand?
>>
>>1198434
1. I'd go for no internal borders for Luxembourg - it's just too small.
2. Similarly, I agree that using the statistical districts for Slovenia is a reasonable compromise.

3. I'd also add counties (etc. - the structures of local government vary within England quite widely) to England, and I think also Scotland (and for good measure/consistency) Wales: essentially treat each of the four countries of the UK as countries in their own right.
>>
>>1198798
>3. I'd also add counties (etc. - the structures of local government vary within England quite widely) to England

If we allow England to have their 83(!) counties represented on the map, we must also allow Moldova to keep their 9000 one-pixel municipalities.

>>1198779
I resize the image I want to base internal borders on to fit the map, paste them in as a second layer next to or on top of the area I want to edit, and then just redraw the borders pixel by pixel with 800% zoom.
>>
File: realtravelermap2017.png (440KB, 4972x2517px) Image search: [Google]
realtravelermap2017.png
440KB, 4972x2517px
Here it is, the most recent version of the /trv/ collector's map.

I think I am going to be a bit less pedantic about first-level administrative divisions from now on. It just doesn't work in some cases - the first-level administrative units for some countries are just way too big to be reasonable. This applies most notably to the UK, the Netherlands, Belgium, Serbia and maybe Bosnia and Hercegovina.
Other top-level administrative units are way too small to even fit on the map (Latvia, Luxembourg, Moldova, Montenegro and others). Switzerland is as bad as it should get.
First-level administrative subdivisions will my remain my go-to option though, provided it's sensible to do so.

Changes made:
1. Luxembourg: Removed the obsolete districts and separated the country into the two traditional regions of Oesling and Guttland - just felt bad leaving the country all empty.
2. Slovenia: Opted to go for the country's historical regions here which are based on the old crown lands of Austria-Hungary. While they carry no legal or administrative purposes, they are still commonly used in everyday speech and play a large role for regional identiy.
Decided not to use the statistical regions after all. There's a whole 12 of them compared to the 6 historical regions. 12 subdivisions is a little overkill for a country of Slovenia's size.
3. We've got a noice-looking UK now. Added the regions of England and split Scotland into the Lowlands and Highlands. No changes for Wales and NI, they are small enough.
4. Moldovan mess cleaned up. New internal borders based on Development regions as shown in >>1198765
5. Montenegro streamlined. I removed the 23 municipalities and added three regions instead based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regions_of_Montenegro

Happy REALtraveling, /trv/.
>>
>>1199061
Thank you so much! I'm especially autistic about this subdivision maps
>>
File: slavs.png (105KB, 628x599px) Image search: [Google]
slavs.png
105KB, 628x599px
>>1199061
Other things I might work on:

Switzerland is a borderline case. I think over 20 cantons for a country of its size is a little ridiculous. Some of them are less than 5 pixels big.
There are however several greater regions as shown in >>1199055. They look really fucking smooth and very suitable for Switzerland's size. I am somewhat hesitant of removing the cantons though - every single one of them enjoy a great deal of autonomy in Switzerland's federal system and are very important for regional identity. Thoughts?

Bosnia and Herzegovina
Currently the country is only divided into its two entities Republika Srpska and the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina - plus the mysterious Brcko district. It's okay but I'm curious if there's a better solution.

If you got any other suggestions, keep 'em coming.

>>1199064
You're welcome m8. The map is very important to me as well.
>>
>>1199061
I prefer the lighter shade of the oceans that the OP map has.

Just saying.

But thank you very much.
>>
>>1199061
Thanks anon!
>>
File: realtravelermap2017_lightblue.png (443KB, 4972x2517px) Image search: [Google]
realtravelermap2017_lightblue.png
443KB, 4972x2517px
>>1199209
There you go.
>>
>>1199233
Aw shit, thanks bro.
>>
File: 1483248222578.png (501KB, 4972x2517px) Image search: [Google]
1483248222578.png
501KB, 4972x2517px
Feels very bad
>>
1483248222578.png
501KB, 4972x2517px
2016 was a slow travel year for me, but I went to Prague for the first time and absolutely loved it, and I plan to go back to Central Europe this summer. Also hope to visit New York for the first time.
>>
>>1199255
what do you want to go to warn torn Doentsk and Lugansk?
are you a Russian nationalist?
>>
>>1200773
Not him, but if the US had a new state, wouldn't you be curious about it too?
>>
>>1199061
I disagree about the first level administrative unit for Belgium being too big - the entire country is smaller than most new French regions. I also think Switzerland should be simplified with something like >>1199055
>>
>>1200775
Not if it was a warzone tbqh. The frontline goes right near both cities, and the conflict has killed some 7000 people so far. For comparison, the conflict in Yemen has killed some 10,000. Going to Donetsk and Lugansk right now is a very bad idea.
>>
File: 1617.png (503KB, 4972x2517px) Image search: [Google]
1617.png
503KB, 4972x2517px
Leaving in 9 days, lads. Getting excited.

Also, I'm dumb and couldn't pinpoint Tahiti or Easter Island.

Possibility of extending the trip even further. Might hit up the Caucasus, Central Asia, North Africa, Southern Africa, S or SE Asia or go back to Israel.
>>
1483248222578.png
501KB, 4972x2517px
>>
>>1200871
>uses wrong map

>>1200878
>uses red color without an explanation

Come on guys.
>>
>>1200882
It's where I'm from, man.
>>
>>1200882
Do you have a disability?
I'm using the latest RealTraveler™©® map. I'm also sure you're intelligent enough to work out the key based on the thread.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.