[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to Florida for a while to escape the snow, what's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12

Going to Florida for a while to escape the snow, what's there to see except for the usual touristy shit like Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando/Kissimmee?
>>
File: sp_springs-8.jpg (359KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
sp_springs-8.jpg
359KB, 600x400px
Depends what you're interested in?

If nature, try one of the natural springs
>>
>>1197663
I am. That place looks beautiful... where is it?

I've heard Homosassa is pretty.
>>
im thinking about moving to Daytona Beach.. is it worth it?
>>
>>1197670
>where is it?

Don't remember, I just grabbed it off google images.

>>1197771
No, it's a shithole. Only benefits are that it's cheap for a beach town
>>
>>1197771
No, Daytona is awful. Go to St. Augustine if you're headed that way, but do not go to Jacksonville no matter what anyone tells you. Where are you headed to exactly? Florida is a large state and there's usually a 1-2+ hour drive between cities.

South of West Palm Beach, the beaches get beautiful. Miami feels like another country entirely, but I recommend going around the weekend to experience the full craziness of that city. Nightlife in Miami is something to behold, and I'm not a clubber, I just like walking around South Beach and soaking it in. I also like going to South Beach in the very early morning. I think before 9 am parking is free, so sometimes when I'm in town I'll have breakfast at the News cafe on south beach and watch the clubbers and prostitutes stumble home. It's also bizarrely quiet and peaceful. The food is eh at most places on the beach though, and traffic and driving is hell from mid afternoon on. Every road is under construction and 95% of the drivers are foreign or high or both.

The emerald coast along the panhandle also has beautiful beaches and is significantly less crowded. The downside is there is no nightlife, and really nothing much to do besides fish or go boating.

St. Petersburg also boasts great beaches, and there's a lot to do around there and Tampa. Of course it is more crowded, but much less hectic than Miami. Traffic can suck though.

Orlando is shit. If you're in central florida just go to a natural spring.
>>
Bump but good stuff so far. What are the must see springs and other nature stuff?
>>
Publix. The tenders are god-tier.
>>
the keys anon
always the keys
>>
File: hfXqYpW.jpg (702KB, 2844x1278px) Image search: [Google]
hfXqYpW.jpg
702KB, 2844x1278px
>>1199482
I haven't been to enough to say one spring is significantly better than another. Blue Springs way north of Orlando is beautiful, but they reach capacity quickly so you have to get there really early to get in. It's really fun to just float along the current, and if you're into diving at all you can go into the spring.

>>1199484
I can't believe I forget to mention the keys. Go snorkeling or kayaking or fucking anything in the keys. I've camped at multiple keys and if you're with a group it's great. I personally like just wandering around. If you can, rent a bike and explore on your own. If you love marine wildlife you have to stay a few days in the keys.

Key Largo has the most selection, but you won't be disappointed on any key. I've camped on Big Pine Key, Marathon, Key Largo, and Key West. I don't know if there are any campgrounds left around Key West, last time I camped on Key West was maybe 15+ years ago. It's really changed in the last decade, but you can still find that weird, "Old Florida" charm.
>>
File: 5860435870_ee49ed9ee2_b.jpg (482KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
5860435870_ee49ed9ee2_b.jpg
482KB, 1024x768px
>>1197670
try vortex springs it's the most refreshing swim you'll go for in your life. And there's cave diving if you're into that

Probably not good for winter as the water is naturally cold in Summer, the only time I've been.
>>
So i'm going to Miami for Ultra Music Festival, I know super mainstream, im gonna get there a day before and leave the day after. Might not have a ton of time to explore around but can anyone give me some ideas? maybe a little shopping eating, idk i just wanna see some dope shit while i'm down there with friends.

Didn't want to make a new thread since I feel this should be fine also
>>
>>1199737

Wynwood Art Galleries, Miami Beach, Edgewater
>>
>tfw nobody talks about South West Florida

We exist too
>>
>>1200088
Went to Sarasota to pick up a car and the guy working there didn't know where Ft. Lauderdale was.
>>
>>1198888 >>1199494
Good advice
.>>1199483
>Publix. The tenders are god-tier.
The subs are #1
>>1199636
>vortex springs
Really (fun) good redneck Riviera alternative if you are in the panhandle doing Seaside, Panama City, Destin. Vortex is crazytime, with tailgating with country music and all the families boozing it up. There's a swing. Nearby Grayson state park beach is really beautiful sand. Panhandle beaches sometimes have quartz sand, which is like talcum powder and really lovely.>>1199737
>So i'm going to Miami for Ultra Music Festival, I know super mainstream, im gonna get there a day before and leave the day after. Might not have a ton of time to explore around but can anyone give me some ideas?
Take a look at WMC winter music conference events before the show, you might luck out and see tiesto or deadmouse in some tiny bar venue the night before Ultra starts. Get onto some VIP lists for some of the venues used and you might get an invite to a yacht party or something else "secret" like that. If you are staying with friends, they'll know what to do. I dare say just realize the traffic is rough at the height of the season, so if you're into taxis, and on the beach or downtown you just stay local. When I return to my first home, I try to do a night on Lincoln Road, hopping from my favorite restaurants and some midnight shopping. There's good stuff in the center of Brickell near Mary Brickell Village. I love dining at the al fresco Pericone marketplace ambiance, and clubbing nearby. Lots of museum choices for you. Get out on the water. Take a cheap $10 bayside "stars homes" cruise.
>>
>>1198888
>south of wpb the beaches get beautiful
never been to palm beach confirmed
never been to juno beach/north palm beach confirmed

>>1200129
gotta get the 5 grain bread tho it's god-tier
>>
i'm also going to miami for 10 days

last time i went i stayed at nice hotels but this time i wanna try a different approach....the poor man's/frugal life style, even though i'll have a brand new mercedes with me....how do i go about that beside sleeping in my car what are my options?

does anyone get me? reading this back sounds retarded
>>
Canoe or kayak opportunities. Excellent fishing. There are Spanish limestone forts in St. Augustine and just South at Fort Matanzas. The Keys.

I can't stand Fort Lauderdale or Miami. Colossal pains in the ass and the biggest douches in the US.
>>
>>1200183
Nothing is really special about West Palm Beach. It's boring.
>>
File: IMG_2213.jpg (189KB, 564x423px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2213.jpg
189KB, 564x423px
>>1200208
Yeah pretty much if you're going to Florida Saint Augustine is the way to go for old stuff and cool tourist deals.
If you love the beach and just want I chill in water do the keys. And if you want to do scuba stuff there is a shit Ton of options including the deciles den (pic relevant

Avoid Orlando, Daytona and Jacksonville at all costs. I'm living in Daytona for flight school and it's absolute shit
>>
File: 8532113197_bd35f1e73a_b.jpg (503KB, 1024x639px) Image search: [Google]
8532113197_bd35f1e73a_b.jpg
503KB, 1024x639px
You can go to Tarpon Springs near Tampa.

It's a small Victorian-era town with a Greek neighborhood started by sponge divers over 100 years ago. If you take the St. Nicholas Line boat tour, they do a diving demo with the old diving suit. There are other boat tours in town, but that one's the oldest (started 1924), and they claim it is the second-oldest tourist attraction in Florida. The oldest attraction in Florida of all is...
>>
File: glass-bottom-boats.jpg (305KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
glass-bottom-boats.jpg
305KB, 1600x800px
>>1200510
...the glass-bottom boats in Silver Springs near Ocala. They started out in 1878 as hollowed-out log canoes with simple plate glass embedded in the bottom. Also, they claim that the springs system in Silver Springs is the largest natural formation of its kind on Earth.
>>
>>1200514
mmm. I used to love to tube down the Ichtucknee River. It might be a bit busy with the snowbirds in the state, but you tube from the head, and a van picks you up at the end and takes you back to your cars. You can float your coolers. Some fear of gators tho!
http://www.ichetuckneespringscampground.com/pb/wp_f8db8c18/wp_f8db8c18.html

If you want old time tourist stuff:
There's Theatre of the Sea in the middle keys
https://theaterofthesea.com/about-us/history/
And key biscayne's seaquarium is still a tourist trap, of course, but the best kind as the original home of flipper and a good swim nearby.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Seaquarium

Going down out of Miami through Homestead on the way to the keys gets you past Fruit n Spice Park which is pretty unique as well as some older treasures around town as you explore the railroad and farming history, Deering Estate, Robert is Here, Knaus Berry Farm, Coral Castle (don't stop), air museum, schnebly vineyards, and a couple charmers of restaurants such as at Cauley Square, or off Krome historic district like The White Lion.
>>
is one night in key west enough? or is 2 more appropriate
>>
>>1200183
Now you're just splitting hairs about the beaches.

>>1200203
Be careful where you park your car. I guess air bnb may be your cheapest option, but again you need to be careful about your car. I stay near the airport for business, which is a 50/50 chance of it being a safe area or not, or I stay at a boutique hotel a block or two off the beach when I'm there for fun.

Since you're there 10 days though, I'd suggest staying at a hotel or air bnb off the beach. Parking is a bitch and expensive on south beach, so you may just want to uber there and back.

Plan a trip down to the keys for a night or two.
>>
File: key-west-sunset-ship-zerodean1.jpg (173KB, 1200x444px) Image search: [Google]
key-west-sunset-ship-zerodean1.jpg
173KB, 1200x444px
>>1200555
I'd recommend staying two nights for the sunsets alone.
>>
If you go to Orlando, go to Austin's coffee, and get the peanut butter pie. I also recommend going to poes tavern in Jacksonville for a burger, or cask in Jacksonville for a cheap classy wine place.
>>
File: stardust.jpg (16KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
stardust.jpg
16KB, 300x225px
>>1200792
I prefer Stardust coffee, not for their coffee quality, but because they have a much better location and more room to sit. You can also walk across the street and visit Park Ave CDs, and further down the street is a homemade ice cream shop. If you haven't been there, I recommend it. It's not much further than Austin for me.

Also Stardust serves beer as well as coffee.
>>
>>1200788
>>1200786

how hard is it to sleep in a car in key west? is free parking abundant?

if i go there for 2 days/2 nights i want to try living like a hobo out of my car
>>
>>1201066
I think people do it regularly. I have not, so I don't know about the safety or where to park. You can probably wing it and be fine. Maybe even try sleeping on the beach?
>>
File: mv.webm (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
mv.webm
3MB, 320x240px
>>1198888
>>1199483

I too am going to Miami Beach, and this is helpful, thank you.

I dont mind being touristy. I am hopelessly bourgeois and dont hide it. I'd love to pretend I have time to explore the back streets of Little Havana and get to know the local common cuisine. But in truth, time and resources are limited, so I'll be hitting the cheesy tourist traps like Seaquarium and farting around SoBe gawking at the ocean and pretending $10 for a burger is normal.

Next time, I will get smart and find a cheap condo. Presently, I am headed to North Beach which seems under rated in its own right. Its quiet (to a fault, some might say). Its also a bit cheaper and only 20 minutes from SoBe.

North Beach seems like a good place for a quiet 'base of operations' for vacation. From there, I can reach both SoBe, Downtown Miami and Wynwood for casual day to day shopping.

I spent the last month learning the geography, streets and transit system east of MIA, south of El Portal and north of Coconut Grove. I will say this: the blobby mass of towns and cities that make up Miami appear to have a remarkable transit system.

Not sure what to think of Miami's Water "Taxi" yet. Seems less of a taxi/ferry and more just a tourist tour. There doesn't appear to be much interest speed or schedules.
>>
>>1197771
Broward here.
People from Daytona who move here always complain that Daytona had a lot of Junkies.
>>
>>1197771
I lived in Daytona beach for 20 years. I moved to Cleveland to escape from that shithole. Cleveland. (Which is getting better as a city but does deserve a lot of the shit thrown at it.)
>>
File: WTF.jpg (34KB, 695x573px) Image search: [Google]
WTF.jpg
34KB, 695x573px
>>1201066
>how hard is it to sleep in a car in key west? is free parking abundant?

Is your next question going to be whether there are any good bridges to sleep under in key west? Pic is my exact face right now. Just get a room at a cheap motel, ffs! They have millions of them here.
>>
File: 1288556462337.jpg (47KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1288556462337.jpg
47KB, 600x400px
>>1201856

Don't be testy; some people like light overhead for tiny trips. Sometimes you dont need the hassle of a hotel room. Thats why they make Winnebagos. It keeps you mobile and fast.

In my case, I made a mistake of booking a hotel. If I were smarter, I'd have taken the time to sniff out a nice condo because I *am* staying a while and could've used the cheaper price per evening and less fuss.

The sticky notes something about vagabonding, although I don't quite know what it means even after reading a bit.

I just mean that not all travel requires hotel rooms, and sometimes they can actually be more of a bother. What if you were in a comfortable area where you are finished late, only there for one night and had to leave early. In that case, I'd probably consider sleeping in a vehicle too.

After all, a truckers life is sort of based on that. Often all they rent is shower access. It allows them to spend a small fortune on very good meals morning, noon and night, and they configure their cabs like a small mobile bedroom. Its just more practical.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.