[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, I'm British. I'm 19 and studying a degree in physics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: images(2).jpg (11KB, 275x184px) Image search: [Google]
images(2).jpg
11KB, 275x184px
Hi, I'm British. I'm 19 and studying a degree in physics currently. I have no intention of doing this any time soon but in the long run, say five years from now I'd really love to be living in America.

How useful will my degree be?

How do I get a visa or whatever it is that I need to move there?

Any other information?

Thanks!
>>
If only we could switch places
>>
just cuz no one really replied, ill extend the courtesy despite falling asleep in bed.

A degree in physics is really smart, even smarter would be applied math. From which you can get into whatever field you want: academia, reasearch or industry. Finding a job in the US wont be hard but id recommend you first try doing an exchange for a semester or two. If ur uni isnt shit tier it should many good exchange partners in the US so living there for a year would give you a good idea of what its like.
>>
Dude I would litteraly sell my identity for your identity. Fuck america
>>
>>1197799
Oh shut up.
>>
>>1197299
You can't just wake up one morning and move to America. Pretty much nobody is getting in after the 9/11 attacks. You have 3 options:

1. Green card lottery (odds aren't great)
2. Marry an American (long and costly process)
3. Get sponsored for a HB1 visa by an American company (Trump is not a fan of these btw)

As a Brit, it would be much easier for you to emigrate to Canada which is America-lite. Less culture, colder weather but otherwise Canada is ok.
>>
The easiest path is coming here for school. Visas are pretty much automatic. If you are interested in a PhD, I think you could potentially get a green card by the time it is up instead of having to find an employer to sponsor you.

Coming here to work legally is very difficult because you need to get hired by a company, then enter the H1-B lottery. The lottery has been oversubscribed recently so people do get denied, and it is a huge hassle for your employer. Most employers also don't consider resumes from people living overseas.

Of course, if you study abroad here as an undergrad you can probably talk some girl into marrying you.
>>
>>1198049
Green card lottery isn't open to a lot of people who America already has "enough" of. It's for diversity and only very underrepresented nations are allowed in via it. British people can't get in on it.

He could also try to transfer to an American college and from there get an internship/job. If he's making enough he might be able to transition into a working visa after that. I'm not 100% sure how it'd work in America since I've only ever looked into doing that in the UK, but I imagine it's roughly similar.
>>
>>1198149
>Green card lottery isn't open to a lot of people who America already has "enough" of. It's for diversity and only very underrepresented nations are allowed in via it. British people can't get in on it.

Ah of course: America is "too white". We need more dirty Indians and souless Chinks to shake things up. Why? Because diversity is good. Why is it good? It just us, don't ask questions.

I truly fear for the future of this country. Btw, take a walk around my city. Brits and other whites are actually a minority amongst a sea of illegal Mexicans and Somalian asylum seekers.
>>
>>1197303
>>1197799
Is /trv/ the most cucked board on 4chan? lol
>>
>>1198126
Lmfao thanks for all the advice, I like the idea of moving there to study and tricking some girl into wedlock desu, alaska sounds great. Any good colleges/unis in alaska for physics?
>>
>>1198268

The fuck is wrong with you.
>>
>>1197299

Look at the laws before you move. America is very "for the dream". The only way you will ever have anything resembling a normal job is when you own your own company because you can dictate how many holidays you get, etc.

America does seem good when you travel: they're stupid fuckers, pussy is easy and its cheap as chips. However, it's a pain to get into and it's a hollow victory when you look at your bang for your buck. Move to a more successful country and travel from there.
>>
>>1198427
>Discriminating against whites entering USA is ok

What the fuck is wrong with you bigot?
>>
>>1197299
>Physics
Difficult to say. Research opportunities are plentiful here but that depends on which university you join. There are also potential options at some high-tech companies but it's really not physics and more modelling things in software.

You'd be better to get an engineering degree.
>>
>>1198431
Being a wagecuck hree in the USA isn't totally bad. You pay less taxes than you would almost anywhere else in the world. But there aren't enough high-paying opportunities right now, and even if you come in with experience and a goo deducation chances are you'll only be making $15/hour for the first few years unless you do internships and get hired.
>>
>>1197303
>>1197799
Being born in the US is literally the biggest privilege on this fucking earth. Fuck you guys for not appreciating it tbqh.

>>1198049
>Pretty much nobody is getting in after the 9/11 attacks

There was no major immigration reform passed post-9/11.
Though the rest of the post is spot on.

>>1198268
>>1198456
For me as a German (with a masters degree that is not STEM) the Diversity Visa is the only shot I have when it comes to immigration, so I don't hate it tbqh
>>
>>1198925
If you're born in the US you get US citizenship. It has a major downside if you live outside the US: double taxation.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.