[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do normal people with a job and like 2 or 3 weeks of vacation/yr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 5

File: .jpg (86KB, 750x567px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
86KB, 750x567px
How do normal people with a job and like 2 or 3 weeks of vacation/yr manage to travel?
>>
>normal job
>2-3 weeks of vacation

hmmm
>>
>>1196648
we're not all american
>>
>>1196655
Yes, luckily. I can't even imagine how I'd travel with just 2-3 weeks of vacation.
I guess unpaid vacation....
>>
>weekends
>aforementioned 2-3 weeks

There's only so many ways.
>>
>>1196647
You don't. Enlist lad.

Or become a "consultant" the latter is more difficult because nobody really knows what, if anything those people do.

Enjoy your cubicle followed by daycare pick up and rush hour.
>>
Ill tell u how the average american spends thier 2-3 weeks.

>3-5days off at christmas

>2 days off at thanksgiving

>3 days off at fourth of july

>1 day off after new years

>One day off every month because you are too burned out by life and you job that you want to kill yourself, but cant, because your pathetic and so you do the next best thing and take a vacation day to lay in bed and try and feel better about your life

>Travelling optional*

I think alot of people are stuck in a rut and dont travel for money, time, or other reasons in america, everything is just farther away than in europe.

I have made myself take all my vacation for one big trip, but save 2 or 3 days for inevitible things that come up like going meeting family for camping. I think it works out better if you just force yourself to travel and not continue with the status quo.
>>
i get 5 weeks off, and still complain, and looking into other jobs with more flexibility... also thinking of asking for unpaid days off.
>>
>>1196675
i heard my american colleagues use their days off for sick leaves too, it sounds so backwards, i don't get how the us even functions like that.
>>
>>1196681
Yes very common, i am fortunate enough to get 15 vacation days, 12 sick days, and 3 "personal" days.

Its alot more than average american
>>
>>1196677
This right here.
(35 free days in the UK for me)
>>
Dutchfag here.

31 days, and then there's public holidays, so can't complain.

If i had only 2 - 3 weeks a year id kill myself and then find another job
>>
>>1196698
>>1196706
Similar here in Funland. In Rick Steves' videos and lectures he often mentions the fact that Ameriburgers have very short holidays, and then they - or the normies at least - want to rush around and see everything as fast as they can so it's not really a holiday.
>>
amerifag here. I currently work at a restaurant and am in college so it's easy. asked if I could take off work for summer to travel to all the national parks around the country and still have a job when i got back, boss said yea. granted I don't live on my own and it won't be paid leave but it's happening regardless
>>
>>1196675
If your company doesn't give you most of those days off around the holiday you are either working retail or at a shit company. Most companies I have worked off give you something similar or a bit more in addition to 2weeks vacation.

>>1196681
I get 2 weeks paid vacation + 2 weeks for sick leave. So I can technically take a 4 week vacation if I get approval
>>
If you are working a real job in America you get 2* or 3* weeks maximum. The asterisk is there because good luck taking the full time outside of maybe a week in the summer or at Christmas. You can either take your vacation or keep your job.

I once asked my old employer if I could take my full two weeks to go to Japan and nearly got laughed out of the room.
>>
>>1196748
Depends on the job in a lot of ways. I'm working in IT and basically was like "Hey I need 2.5 weeks off for my trip to japan". Got told no originally but then explained I would still be checking in on our environment and the servers in the mornings and evenings. Now it's a sure no problem just keep your laptop close to me (which I was doing regardless).

Definately some jobs for smaller companies I can see taking off multiple weeks in a row is not doable. I've worked in a company as small as 6 people, basically anyone taking off for a week or more needed to do 6 month in advance notice.
>>
>>1196752

Damn son, American laws are horrific.
>>
>>1196772
That post had nothing to do with laws. It just depends if the company says yes or no to using days. I get 2 weeks of vacation(use any time) plus about 14 more in time off around holidays(but I can't move those around).

Issue was I just wanted to spend more vacation time than I have in one sitting, we use to have get 2 and any unused rolls over for a maximum of 4 weeks. Our company stopped that so instead I am using sick days which I have 2 weeks of. Honestly their concern was founded about one of their lead IT guys being MIA for nearly 3 weeks. Vacation laws are fairly a big grey area, and what vacation stuff you get varies company to company.

There is a company I know that does 3 weeks off and practically the whole month of december off + pay. You just need to ask during the interview what you are looking at.

>>1196771
>Anyways, international just isn't realistic for a majority of American's due to cost issues or vacation time issues.
Realistic I'd say most americans could do it with some searching, however what it comes down to is how long you are spending and where.
>>
America is interesting in that a lot of us have a lot of money to travel but not the time. A lot of Europeans have the time but not the money. It's an interesting situation but if you truly care about travel, you'll find a way to make it happen.
>>
>>1196647
do you live in USA? In Europe you get 20 days of paid holidays from first year of your job.
>>
>>1196752
such a different mindset. in europe at the companies i worked for in the past decade, when i'm off, i'm off. meaning i have the phone turned off, no company computer, no company mails etc.
the 'take my computer in case something happens' might be practiced in higher levels, but even on very high level i saw out of office responses saying that my message will not be read and i should try again when the person is back.
what we do is prepare handovers of each running project (in case some documentation is not too clear), align deadlines with holidays etc.
i mean i do look up to everyone who works a lot and works without breaks. but i'm glad i have the choice to do nothing of use for weeks at a time.
>>
>>1196787
Depends on the country, southeast europe can be very poor. The exchange rate and buying power of the dollar can do a lot to hamper travel from the US to Europe, but works well traveling in Asian countries and south americas
>>
>>1196787

There is a lot more disposable income in the US than in Europe. There are exceptions like Norway and Switzerland, but for the most part, people in America have more money left over after paying their rent and taxes.
>>
>>1196789
>might be practiced in higher levels, but even on very high level i saw out of office responses saying that my message will not be read and i should try again when the person is back

Yeah that's what I am doing, I don't have to drop everything and turn on my PC. It's just a "don't go to japan without your computer", only real time I am doing anything is when I wake up and check emails for anything important aside from automated reports. My phone I always keep on me because I get a stipend for my bill but why wouldn't I have my phone on me anyways.

I could have worded it better, but in reality it's mostly just a mindset thing for my boss and his boss being able to say "our lead IT guy had his computer on him if we need him".
>>
>>1196733
Those times around holidays i posted were as a means to supplement the already federal days off. I agree if your job doesnt give u holidays off its shit. But most people i know take time off in addition to extend trips or time with family longer
>>
>>1196800
>In America, it is usually looked at that if you are not needed for two or three weeks, your position is not needed at all.

This isn't true for all America or all jobs in America. It comes down to your position, title, and companies policies. My company use to offer 4 weeks vacation till it started getting abused by groups of people taking months off at the same time, it was fault of management but still.
>>
>>1196800
Ausfag here. If you go on holiday it means your on holiday. Simple as that. That long service leave of 3 months? Just try and time it between projects. Companies should've staffed correctly in the first place with 1.2 people per position to account for something everyone knows is going to happen. Someone has an accident/quit/went on holiday shouldn't be able to cripple your organisation.

If it does, your dumb to not expect it and just creates a ripple effect where people people burn out cause they have to cover someone who left.
>>
>>1196647
>240 hours sick leave a year that stacks forever
>240 hours vacation a year with a 780 hour maximum
>work 10 24hr shifts per month with the ability to swap with other people to save vacation days
Thank you unions, I can travel at least twice a year when I feel like it
>>
>>1196838

Firefighter?

We have a similar schedule.
>>
>>1196684
>get 12 sick days

What does that even mean? So when you've got a 2 week illness, what, do they just trolley your hospital bed into work? You start getting unpaid? How inhumane.
>>
>>1197016
Generally your short term medical insurance kicks in and that pays your bills
>>
>>1197017
Well, if you have a good job, your insurance will pay. In a crappy job, you either work or lose your job. I've had full time jobs in the USA with zero paid vacation; no health insurance either.

To answer OP, you quit and when you come back you get a new job. Assuming you are able to save enough money for months of traveling in the first place. I also plan it for when my lease is up on my apartment. It helps to not own much more than you'll be taking on your trip. Helps with your savings, also helps you store the excess at a friends house.
>>
>>1197020
>no health insurance either.
Obamacare, everyone has insurance no excuse.
>>
>>1196800
It depends on the companies, really. For some positions that the American part of my company does with 40-60 people, we do with 3. Other positions the US does with 3 people we have 30. Typically the IT and operations positions we trim down, just cause the US doesn't like automation for whatever reason. 3 so that one could still fall ill if another is on a planned holiday. (If two falls ill they might buy the third one our of holidays, and also hire a temp right away.)
Might be just this company, but I highly doubt it.
>>
>>1197017
>>1197020

Wew, seems brutal.
Here, sick days are taken as an entirely separate concept from paid vacation. You also need to have a confirmation from the doctor.

I've checked and apparently, the first month is covered by the employer, then it's automatically transferred to the "free" healthcare system. The current record holder has been on sick leave for about 9 years.
Commie yurop btw.
>>
>>1197046
>Here, sick days are taken as an entirely separate concept from paid vacation.

That is a thing here as well, sick days are paid in most every job unless you are a part time like under 30 hours a week grocery store person. Or signed up for an incredibly crappy job.
>>
Turnbulland
>4 weeks paid leave
>Rdo a month which can be accrued
>3 months paid long service leave every ten years
>>
>>1196858
Yep, you guessed it
>>
Im in pharmacy school and hoping I can find a 7/12 shift.
Cons: 7 days in a row you work a 12 hour night shift
Pros: Every other week you dont work

So over 26 weeks off a year + actually taking a week off means you get a three week vacation. I just hope I can survive the on weeks.
>>
I work at the university, and I literally have like 4 whole months on a year basis of free time, not to mention national holidays and such.
But the catch is, I live in a shithole country surrounded by subhumans with generally poor standard, so my salary is like 5 times lesser than it would be in some normal country, so that means I have to save up money for months before I can plan some cheap ass trip. I work privately too, so that helps a bit, but still, I'd sacrifice some of that free time for a bigger pay.
>>
Here's another question:
How do people with inadequate jobs manage to travel?

I'm talking about part-time workers who get paid next to nothing hourly, aren't entitled to vacation pay, and often can't afford to miss work.

I have friends who literally work at McDonald's, and they're always going on trips for weeks at a time.
>>
>>1197879
They probably live with their parents
>>
I get 5 weeks per year

If you plan smartly with public holidays, you can get some decent amount of holidays out of that (e.g. taking 3 days off around Christmas next year will give me 9 total days off)

I also get to travel for work so that's nice
>>
>>1196777

Interesting. I thought holidays would be regulated by laws, not by the company. Over here in the EU we have to legally have 25 days per year for your standard 9-5 shift. We'll that's until we leave the EU and end up like you lot.
>>
>>1197879
Minimum wage worker here. Not the lowest of the low like you mentioned but certainly not rich (not even comfortably off desu). As a yuropoor I'm still entitled to 26 holiday days and budget airlines to cheap countries are a godsend. I just prioritise my money on travel. I don't care for other things anymore. I save up £100/month and go on a 1 week or 2 week trip every 4 months.
>>
>>1197879
Speaking as someone from a post-commie country with a post-commie wage, you just penny-pinch like crazy, both at home and abroad. Also you don't pick a place to travel to, the place picks you - by offering discount tickets, plummeting currencies and error fares.
>>
I work a pretty normal corporate job in america. I get a bit over 4 weeks off, we accrue PTO hour by hour, credited every 2 weeks. I have not been on the job for over 5 years, so I still accrue at the lowest rate. At 5 and 15 years of employment the PTO rates increase. Senior employees pretty much get 2 fucking months off a year.
>>
>>1196658

> unpaid vacation

You're aware that for 90% of the world, those terms are synonymous? Why should you be paid to not work?
>>
I'm a primary (elementary) school teacher at a private international school and I get 13-14 weeks of holidays a year HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>1198129
Europe is a bit more than 10%
Idk about the law elsewhere.
>>
>>1198130
I'm more surprised that a person of your caliber is even allowed to be a teacher at all.
>>
>>1198129
>Why should you be paid not to work?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyamohn/2014/02/28/take-a-vacation-its-good-for-productivity-and-the-economy-according-to-a-new-study/?client=safari
>>
>>1196647
Dude, I barely rate a week
>>
>>1197022
>Obamacare
>Paying $800/month for health insurance just for yourself
>>
>>1197899
That's entirely a European requirement. In America we don't believe in mandating the level of compensation. The only holidays that are regulated are federal holidays when the entire government shuts down, and most private companies, especially small businesses, only observe 6 of them: New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day.

The dream of most Americans is to be self-employed and decide your own vacation days.
>>
I'm American and really hate the work culture here. One of the big reasons I went into a trade in which it's possible to work on an equal time schedule (ie 1 week on 1 week off, 3 months on 3 months off, or whatever).

I plan on someday returning to white collar work, if I can stand the scarcity of time off. Which I'm not sure I will.
>>
>>1198129
I totally get what you're saying, it makes total sense from a completely logical point of view.

As for *why* people get paid to go on vacations, it's basically a bribe. If you're in a position where replacing you is too difficult or inconvenient, it's basically their way of saying "Please don't leave us forever, we need you."

And if you're in a position where you can be easily replaced, chances are you weren't entitled to vacation pay in the first place.
>>
>>1196647

I live in Germany, I get 30 days vacation, plus German Holidays which there are a lot, plus they are adding one more. Comp time for after hours work as well. By the end of the year, I don't know what to do with my time, so it rolls over to the next year.
>>
>>1196838
>Thank you unions
Jesus Christ, this is what my dad goes through as a union worker:

>works an ungodly number of hours per week
>so if the average joe works 40 hours a week, my dad is doing something crazy like 90-120 hours a week
>already earns pretty decent money at base rate
>overtime still stacks on
>anyone with my dad's work ethic can earn more in a month than what the average joe earns in a year
>his coworkers bust their balls for like 1-3 months at their jobs, then take the rest of the year off
>>
>>1198282
>work ethic
I've been in a union. Clocking in and clocking out does not mean "work ethic".

You actually aren't allowed to have a work ethic in the unions. Initiative and motivation are frowned upon, being a good worker means having been there a long time, and putting in as many hours as contractually allowed.
>>
I live in the UK but work for an American company.

Even though it's the same company our colleagues in the US get less than half the paid leave we do. Why the hell do you put up with it free people of America?
>>
2 weeks a year is more than enough to vacation in a completely new country

If you got to a new country every year, you will have become more cultured than like 99% of the world
>>
>>1198830
The American's salaries are probably higher
>>
>>1198830
Average American wants to work. Even with the menial vacation days most goes unused. It's why American real travelers/backpackers have a harder time reintegrating and end up as expats or bums. Because long absences from the workforce or looked at negatively. Unless you can properly sale it, lioe what you learned from your travels or whatever. The default normie opinion is irresponsible
>>
>I get paid to travel the world
>company allows me to accrue sick time and vacation time when working over time
>at the end of the year I can cash in my sick time for a fat pay check or allow it to roll over
>maternity leave for dad and mom if I ever knock up a lady

I've got it pretty good for being in a US company but my euro colleagues get shorter work weeks and entire months of the year off as just a standard.
>>
>>1198837
They are.

So effectively they are selling their time, which is fair enough. I'd consider giving up a week for extra pay to be honest. 5 weeks per year can be too much time away if you actually enjoy your job.
>>
>entry level mailman job, 11$/hour
>1 month paid vacation/year
>70% payment if I get sick for more than one day (need proofs for more than a couple of days)
but I guess I can't buy shotguns at the supermarket
>>
>>1196647
Being a wageslave is suffering.
>>
>>1198902
>>1198907
In addition, postal workers are federal workers. That means they earn 4 hours of vacation time per pay period. Which ends up being 26 days a year. Not to mention an additional 10 federal holidays, often celebrated on a Friday or Monday to maximize time off. But person our culture, the holidays is when a lot of postal workers want to work, because they get paid double time for working holidays.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/fact-sheets/annual-leave/

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/snow-dismissal-procedures/federal-holidays/#url=2017
>>
>>1198902
In addition to >>1198907
>>1198914

USA postal workers get 100% pay for sick leave, which is accrued separate of regular vacation days

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/fact-sheets/sick-leave-general-information/
>>
>>1197314
How do you become a firefighter, and how much does it pay? This jobs sounds awesome.
>>
File: reqheifrepgfrere.jpg (1MB, 1733x1155px) Image search: [Google]
reqheifrepgfrere.jpg
1MB, 1733x1155px
In 2016
-on a cruise for a week in May
-went to the US for 3 weeks in August
-was at the coast for the holidays for 2 weeks

Officially Im supposed to get 15 days leave and 3 days sick leave. Unofficially I get whatever time off I ask for within reasonable bounds, because I dont get paid overtime or when working over the weekends like I should. So I have a spoken agreement with my supervisor to rather get paid in time than in money. I make enough as is.
>>
>>1198834
7/10, it's a pretty crafty bait
>>
>>1199187
how is it bait?
>>
>>1198902
Kek, you got btfo>>1198914
>>1198907
>>1198918
>>
I have 22 days a year. I'll be going to 2 countries this year (europoor) probably couchsurfing. I could go to maybe another 2 countries, but I'll spend those off days on music festivals.
>>
>>1196785
At my job i won't get 2 weeks until i worked there for 10 years
>>
>>1198842
what company do you work for anon? really trying to get into a travel gig here
>>
File: Half-Marathon-2014-70.jpg (3MB, 1800x1199px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Marathon-2014-70.jpg
3MB, 1800x1199px
in this conditions, it's called marathourism
>>
>>1198129
UK if you work 5 days a week you're entitled to 28 days of paid holiday
>>
I could never go back to a normal job where I don't have 13 weeks of paid holidays plus all the national holidays.

Negative side of the job are:
>50-80h weeks are normal
>working shift, so I don't have a normal weekend and have to sleep at the working place at least once a week
>having to deal with absolute batshit crazy SJWs on a daily base
the field attracts them like no other as they think they can get all their helper syndrome needs fulfilled, the academic training even reinforces that yet once actually working on the job it's 180° opposite.
>there's no way to measure success or compare progress
So in 10 years of working in the area I have had ONE actual real success story, anything else is "it could've been worse", "at least we could minimize the losses" or "it was hopeless from the beginning, so uhm yeah"
>>
>>1196647
AmeriFag here. The company I work for I do get two weeks of vacation per year, and I can roll over max of two weeks annually. On top of that, I get three personal holiday plus official federal holidays and sick days/dependent care leave.

It's not too bad. I managed to travel around while saving up max vacation time for this year which I will use it for trip to South Korea for a month. My manager is pretty relax about when/how long I can take vacation as long as I get my work done. (work for electrical engineering company). Mostly, my vacation has been within USA, including Puerto Rico last year, but I am trying to expand my limits. My goal is to one domestic/one international trip per year.

I am also working on investing during my spare time (And getting my master degree). I am planning to retire from my company within ten years (at 40) so I can reach my full potential as far as being a human being.
>>
>>1200131
>I am planning to retire from my company within ten years (at 40) so I can reach my full potential as far as being a human being
care to elaborate?
>>
>>1200288
He was talking about travelling for a year or two, realizing that it's not even fun anymore because things should be done in time, returning back home, depressed as fuck and obviously at point zero, then settling for some whore because "after all, family values are what matters". He will even spread this "knowledge" here to build a mental barrier in his head.
Pro tip, anon: long term planning is fine and dandy, but retiring early meme doesn't work. Kek, I even remember one guy who died like 2 months before "finally retiring" tine because of some drunk fucker behind the wheel
>>
>>1198849
triple that BIATCH
>>
>Work 7 days on 7 days off during college
>Work at a company that gives 23 days off per year and ramps up quickly with merit
>never get sick

Life is good from an American standpoint.
>>
>How do normal people with a job and like 2 or 3 weeks of vacation/yr manage to travel?

They travel for 2 or 3 weeks per year.
Some times, they don't travel.
>>
>>1196647
American here. It's fucked. I get 13 days a year and this is the first year I took time off and my manager got pissed that I took a week off for Christmas to visit family. Every white collar job I've worked, we have the same problem. They are always understaffed as fuck so they expect everyone to work all day, all week, and never take vacations. I remember my first job the only day I wanted to take off was Christmas Eve and my bitch manager wouldn't let me because a big project could potentially come in. American companies have terrible planning and will throw employees under the bus at the drop off a hat.
>>
>>1200288
>>1200292
I was more asking him what he feels he needs to do to reach his full potential
>>
>>1198129
Honestly, it's not "paid vacation". It's because the system forces companies (and workers) to have at least a minimum number of vacation days. They cannot pay you less for taking them since those days are mandatory.

What actually happens is that the company pays you less money annually because of vacation. You cannot work and get them paid because it's against the law. For that reason, it is said they are paid.
>>
>>1200485
Same guy here. The reasoning at the end might sound odd since I'm going to bed.
What I meant is that since you cannot choose to work in your mandatory vacation days, it is understood that they are included in your salary.
>>
>Be Amerifag.
>be 23
>make $75k
>have 5.5 weeks of vacation / year
>>
Americans literally don't have have vacations
>land of the "free"

Absolutely laughable. I get 5 weeks paid vacation, but of course that's not counting Christmas, holidays etc. I can't complain about 5 week, I usually go for a long 2-3 week trip in summer
>>
>>1200708
American here. I have vacation time. Your argument is invalid.
>>
>>1200708
This is just outright misinformation. I get 5 weeks paid vacation.

No, some shitty McDonald's worker does not deserve more than a week or two vacation if at all.
>>
>>1200708
It's not that Americans don't have vacation time. It's Americans don't use their vacation time, visiting family during holidays aside. Also, vacation time isn't regulated by the government, so can vary widely.
>>
I'm about to start a job where I get 2 days of vacation a year. 3 day work weeks though so I plan on doing many weekend trips to cities in the US .
>>
>>1196647
I work a low-level job in the UK, just above the new minimum hourly wage, premium rate for holidays, nightshift. 39hr work week. My paid time off comes to 6.5 weeks a year. I went to 6 different countries last year, 5 of them in Europe. Budget airlines and weekend trips are really easy from here. I usually do one extended long-distance holiday a year, currently planning where to go on my major holiday this year.
>>
>tfw only 3 weeks vacation (15 days) a year
>tfw workplace allows me to take as much unpaid time off as i want from may - september
the only people who travel so much, and take unpaid leaves, are the roasties at my workplace
>>
>>1200708
America is considered the Land of the Free, because it could be worse. It's also known as the Land of Opportunity, for similar reasons.

So what if some low-rank office worker doesn't get vacations? At least he's not assembling shoes in China, or selling imitation watches in India.

For that matter, you'll find a lot of Chinese & Indian immigrants in the USA. Some of them end up becoming successful doctors, scientists, and engineers. A lot of them just own restaurants or drive taxis, but it's still way better than what they used to have.

America: You win some, you lose some.
>>
File: 1279382308525.png (229KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1279382308525.png
229KB, 900x900px
100% remote job here. As long as I have internet and my laptop, I can do my job. It also pays pretty well (60 USD an hour). The hours get a little weird in Europe and Asia when meetings and clients call, but It's totally doable.
>>
>>1200960
i'm so jelly
>>
>>1200896
America is good for third world immigrants and very rich immigrants.

For average EU citizen it would be a downgrade.
>>
>>1198129
Because we're human beings and not economic units of production.
>>
>>1201043
America is good for people with work ethic. Unlike lazy ass Europeans
>>
>>1200708

American here who has worked a shit load of white collar office jobs. You're right it is laughable. The fact is vacation is widely discouraged and we under hire and over work employees so it isn't even really possible to take a long vacation.
>>
one 2 week vacation over the course of a decade adds up to a lot of trips.
>>
>>1196793
That's because you pay for things we pay for with taxation, and money doesn't go as far in the US. Once you take that into effect, you'd find that the same person doing the same job is just as well off in either the US or Europe. The exception is things like software development where Americans are much better off.
>>
>>1198128
>working corporate job in britbongistan
>not even there 3 years
>get 9 weeks this year including public holidays

That sounds tragic. I had to take 3 weeks at Christmas this year so I was able to use up all my statutory holiday
>>
I get a whopping 23 days of annual leave

I think I can extend it if I take half pay, it's a credit system

You can buy more leave credit (and buy they just mean you don't get paid during the leave)
>>
>>1196681
bruh you think that's bad, if you use up your leave, and your sick, you need to buy them off your colleagues
>>
>>1196719
this

My friend and his family went on a Europe "trip", and by trip I mean 2 or 3 days in each city (and basically 1 city per country). They managed to go to a grand total of 6 cities in Europe within 3 weeks
>>
This is why as ""stable"" as a government job sounds (I've already secured one coming out of uni and will probably stay till I have my foot in the door), I really hope to gain enough skill to be able to do 6-12 month well-paid contracts instead, while having a month or so break after each contract ends.

I really don't mind working like a slave for 6 months with no pay if it means I have a month off, rather than having a comfy job permanently, but only getting 3 weeks leave a year
>>
>>1201542
>with no pay
holy shit I mean no benefits haha
>>
>>1200849
>roasties
if the pay is good that sounds like a smart move
>>
>>1198129
Even in my shitty third world country we get paid on vacations.
>>
File: vacation.png (58KB, 1294x671px) Image search: [Google]
vacation.png
58KB, 1294x671px
>>
>>1201513
No it doesn't. It adds up to ten. It's a terrible deal.
>>
>>1196647
I don't automatically get a paid vacation; I have to work up enough hours to be granted a vacation. I get about 4 hours every two weeks for working part time. I have yet to use them... I'm hoping my job is flexible (hospital). I really want to take a 3 week vacation this year to Ghana. I'm hoping it actually happens. my only concern is my 2nd job. I need to work 4 shifts a month to be "active", and 2 shifts need to be on the weekend. I may be able to work something out...

I do wish American work ethic wasn't so rigid. Also, there's some major concerns regarding childcare in this country. Some jobs don't give any paid leave to mothers and they are forced to use their vacation time. This is very wrong and is why there is so many problems with our youth today. Employers needs to be better to families.
>>
>>1196647
I have a union job so I get a week for personal days and a week for sick days. 2 Weeks vacation and 5 call outs(which I can take anywhere from 1-4 days straight) which are non pay but I got to take in 2 month intervals or I get written up. But im union so they cant do shit to me :^)
>>
>>1199694
What's the field?
>>
>>1202890
they can't do shit to an employee that works 50 weeks / year? sounds like a good deal for your employer.
>>
>>1202897
Social Work.
Social Pedagogue, working in a special ed residential school.
>>
>>1202750
>people who live in countries that hardly have any work often get the most free time
Surprise of the century
>>
>>1202750

>That feel when we're as bad here in burgerland as China

usually I shit on burger haters because yuropoors

Today... I am silent.
>>
>>1200960
What do you do, anon? I've been looking for something remote I can do maybe part-time to just fund my travels. I have a degree from a top ranked university in the US in computer science.
>>
When I was in college, I spent every summer backpacking and took off a full year between my undergrad and grad school to travel India and SEA.

Now, I get 21 vacation days a year, 10 sick days (which I tend to use up for myself and to look after my daughter when she's sick), and 3 personal development days. I travel a decent amount for work, but typically traveling for work is awful (the exception being the Frankfurt trip I went on last year).

I spent my vacation days last year as follows:
>1 day for a 3-day camping trip
>1 day for a 4-day camping trip
>5 days for an 8-day trip to Tokyo
>7 days for an 11-day trip to Seoul to visit my wife's parents
>2 days for a 4-day trip to Quebec City
>3 days for a 6-day trip to Cincinnati and Fort Lauderdale for Christmas with my parents.
>2 days for a 3-day trip to Fort Lauderdale to visit my dad

For work last year, I flew to:
>Los Angeles 6 times
>New York 3 times
>Seattle
>Vancouver 2 times
>London 2 times
>Frankfurt

It sounds pretty stupid in retrospect, but when I was younger I felt like traveling was my purpose in life. It's pretty hard getting by on so few days, and now I have a wife and a daughter so it's constantly getting harder to travel.

Honestly, the only way I get by I feel is that over the past few years I started getting into "churning" to try and make travel cheaper. I guess I've turned it into a hobby of sorts and it's pretty rewarding for all the work that goes into it. Also, a lot of Americans go camping or on short day trips, instead of extended trips across the country or internationally.
>>
I get 5 (and change) "paid time off" hours per paycheck, plus one 8-hour "floating holiday" so I get roughly 4 weeks a year off. Right now I'm sitting on roughly 130 hours (bit over 3 weeks) because I only took a couple of 4-day trips last year
If I get sick, have to take care of non-work business or just plain don't feel like coming in I have the option to work from home, and considering my average workload those might as well be days off too (I can get away with that about 2-3 days a month) the only requirement is that I stay available in case there is an emergency, which are rare.
If I want to take an extended vacation (unpaid) I can work it out so that I quit and then am re-hired since there are very few people in the state qualified to do what I do

I actually have it pretty good all things considered, but it also helps that my boss is a good friend and the company I work for prides itself on high worker satisfaction
>>
>>1202750
feels so good to live in western eu
and this doesn't even take into account the national holidays
>>
I work for a state government in australia and am entitled to 4 weeks paid vacation a year, plus we sacrifice 2 hours a week to earn 1 RDO per month. So i have plenty of time for holidays every year.
Must suck to either not have full time work or live in a shit hole with poor work rights.
>>
>>1202750
>Minimum paid vacation in UK is 26+
>I live in England and get 20

Something about this chart seems off
>>
>>1205423
I would probably take it with a grain of salt.

I live in Canada, and according to this chart, I should be getting 6-10 days. I get more than 10.
>>
I asked my normy job if I could trade salary for vacation. They said no, that would be unfair to everyone who had to work to get up to 3 weeks vacation.

Thank god I am in Academia now.
>>
https://youtu.be/J9C-50Mo6zs ..
>>
America has incredibly stupid work laws. We don't have paid vacation requirements, we don't have paid maternity leave let alone paid paternity leave (only other country without paid maternity leave is Papua New Guinnea, that's right even shit tier African countries have the decency of some maternity leave).

You can fire someone for any reason (unless it's discrimination against race, gender, age). Someone was fired for wearing a hat of a sports team his boss didn't like, it went to court and was deemed legal. In most European countries you have to fire someone for an actual work related reason.

And of course healthcare. We enjoy allowing people to die so much, that we have a retardedly expensive system. Like I get if you don't want to pay to save someone, but it's cheaper to, we literally pay to be needlessly cruel.
>>
>>1205423
you're forgetting those 8 days of bank holidays etc anon
>>
>>1205485
oh god, reminds me of the 3 year maternity/paternity leave back home... i cannot begin to imagine how hard it is for companies to deal with that.
>>
Came here to ask this specifically. Sometimes i wish i lived in europe so i didnt have to go in debt for schooling and i could have 5 weeks a year to spend travelling. Now im just trying to think of jobs where i can have a few months off at a time but there doesnt seem to be many :(
>>
>>1205535
just come to europe
>>
>>1205538
I assume the immigration is hard? Im from canada
>>
>>1197879
Save money, volunteer to take more hours. I worked as a minimum wageslave during college and I could earn up to 1000-1200 a month with a full 40 and some OT, which would translate into tuition for the year when I save up for it. America is fucked in workers rights and school. However, if I'm paying some place 400 rent with roommates, then its 800 extra for food and other expenses. It's about living frugally to have extravagant trips.Overall though, $7.25 isn't permanent in McDonalds or another fast food restaurant, you'll get a raise that isn't livable on your own but it builds that gap of what's needed to be spent and what's being saved.
>>
>>1205540
if you have some distant relative from france or uk or wherever, you can always snatch an eu passport. or come here to study, or just marry someone.
Thread posts: 143
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.