[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/ So, yesterday my friend convinced me to go to india

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: Matrimandir-1.jpg (62KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Matrimandir-1.jpg
62KB, 600x450px
Hey /trv/
So, yesterday my friend convinced me to go to india on really short notice, as in we're going in february short.

I need help. We're going there with little money and only what we can carry. We'll hitchhike around the country and probably stay there for a few months.

So, my question woyld be whats the best way to make money/ survive while travelling in india.
Like i sing really well and she plays a bunch of instrument but is busking even an option over there? Knitting? Sewing? Dancing?
Are there safe haven for us like rainbow gatherings or "monasteries" if need be?
I survived guatemalan ice cream, freshly pressed fruit juice and just fruit from the trees without being sick. How sick im gonna get if i completely immerse myself?
Do i need a lisense to drive a bike? Is it a good idea to drive overthere? Not in the cities of course but everywhere else?

Sleeping in a hammock outside is what's gonna happen. How fucked am i?

I'll post more question eventually for sure but for now those are my concerns.
>>
Arw you a male or female?
>>
>>1195958
Male. My friend is female.
Canadian. Bilingual. 23. She's 19.
>>
>>1195962
Ok ben... j'espere que vous serez pas violés :^)
>>
>>1195963
Je pense pas. Battu par la popo? Pt.
>>
>>1195972
Do you bang your female friend?
If not, I hope you won't beta rage when other people bang her
>>
Nah. Not yet at least. She's a friend of...many of my friends actually. Dont know her that much. Sex is a fun thing to do with friends. Are you mad when one of your friend is having fun? I know im rather glad. She's nice company and a useful travel tool. Also great eye candy.
>>
First you should check out the Hitchwiki article on India.
You're going to try to busk in a developing country, but you have enough money to buy a motorcycle? Weird priorities there. Why not stick with hitchhiking and not have to worry about hustling for a living?
All the hippie shit you're looking for is probably down in the region of Goa.

As for stealth camping, bear in mind how mind-blowingly overpopulated the country is. It's probably one of those countries where nobody cares where you camp, but I wouldn't expect privacy.

>>1195958
>>1195963
>>1195983
samefag
>>
>>1195987
>samefag

Indeed. What's your point though?
Are we only allowed to reply once?
>>
>>1195987
>Samefag
Probably yeah, so?

Paradise beach near goa is a must yeah sure. But i aint exactly going on a hippy trip tho. Its just a nice place to get used to all of it. Its more like auroville, benin, ankor at, nepal, temples, the fucking jungle.
>>
>>1195987
Oh and i dont have money for a bike. Im wondering if making money for one is an idea worth pondering.
Im going over there with like...150-300 buck. I'll need to gain money.
>>
>>1196006
How much did your ticket to India cost?
>>
>>1196006
Well, the best thing to do would be to gather as much money as you can in Canada before you leave, and/or to postpone the trip a month or 2.
You can earn much more money in Canada compared to what you will get in a poor country full of beggars. Get a loan from a bank before leaving if you have to.

I admire your wildness of arriving with only 150-300$, but if things don't work out, it's gonna suck for you guys
>>
>>1195955
Yeah. Im quite aware of the risks if we run out of money. Thats why im here, I need backups. Some things will go bad that's a certainty, i'll be there for a while y'know.
300 is not what i have now, its the most i'll probably have when I take the plane.
Haha i'll be fine guys, but help is welcomed.
>>>1196006
Aint done yet but 500cad
>>
If i sell artisanal things or ask for money while performing on the street, but my visa is a tourist one.
Thats illegal right?
>>
File: dfg.jpg (177KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
dfg.jpg
177KB, 720x960px
>make money

There are a lot of things you can do to make money in India. The best option is to make a few connections and freelance using your own computer. Try to start before you leave.

I'm a STEM student but enjoy writing. The few hundred dollars per month I'd earn helping students with assignments or creating recruitment advertisements for small businesses let me stay comfortable in India.

You can also earn reasonably well (by Indian standards) acting as an extra or background character in Bollywood films and commercial advertisements. I did this several times. You'll be paid between 2,000 and 5,000 Rupees per day ($30-$80). Intercity travel and accommodation costs are almost always covered by the production team.

However, it's not easy work. You'll be doing the same stupid shit over and over again from 6am until 8pm - sometimes longer, and sometimes in 110 degree heat.

>busking, knitting, sewing, etc

If you can play an instrument reasonably well, you'll probably attract attention and earn some money. Being white helps, since the color of your skin will draw onlookers to be even more curious than they otherwise might be.

I don't see why you'd consider knitting or sewing. Going to a third-world country and trying to compete against sweatshops and craftsmen who procure raw materials in bulk and slave away for minuscule rates is senseless.

>rainbow gatherings

Yes, they have them. I'm not a hippie so I've never gone.

>monasteries

Same as above. Some monasteries charge per night. Others allow guests to stay for free but require that you follow strict rules (no smoking, drinking, wake up and in bed by a certain time, etc)

Gurudwaras, mosques, and temples often offer free accommodation. Gurudwaras are great for "langar," too, which is a charitable meal served by members of the Sikh community. They love serving foreigners, as few take advantage of their generosity.

Pic related - me sitting like a fag and drinking tea from langar.
>>
File: Manali.jpg (76KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Manali.jpg
76KB, 720x960px
>>1196433

>bike

Technically, you need an international drivers licenses and all of the proper endorsements to operate motor vehicles in India. In practice, most motorcycle rental companies will only check that you have both a valid visa and an operators license from your own country. Normally you have to leave a security deposit of between 5,000 and 10,000 Rupees for decent makes, such as Royal Enfield, KTM, or higher-cc Honda variants.

The police don't usually stop foreign riders but it might happen, especially if you're passing by a rural checkpoint. Several folks have told me they got out of fines by either paying small bribes, pretending to only speak Arabic, or simply smiling and waving when signaled to pull over.

>good idea

Are you a shitty driver? Are you a good driver? Do you want to drive?

I learned how to ride a motorbike in India. That was over a year ago. I've since purchased my own here in the States, dirtbiked in Nicaragua, and rented another Royal Enfield when I was in India the last half year. No accidents, drops, or crashes to date.

>not in the cities of course

Driving in cities in India is fucking easy. All you have to do is pay attention to your surroundings and focus on the road. In Delhi and Mumbai, you can't even go fast - even if people neglect to use their indicators and drive between lanes, you can't get going too fast before you have to stop for a traffic signal (in Tier II and Tier III cities, like Jaipur and Nashik, traffic signals aren't adhered to well).

>Sleeping in a hammock outside is what's gonna happen. How fucked am i?

You might get bothered if you're near a village or town, and I wouldn't recommend doing that in cities. If you're in the mountains or a rural area, I doubt you'll have too many problems.

Pic related, taken near Manali in September.
>>
File: 2.jpg (57KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
57KB, 720x960px
>>1196006
>>1196435

$300 USD is enough for a solid ten days or a shitty month. If that's the most you'll have then I don't know why you'd think you'd be able to purchase a bike.

Even a piece of shit Bajaj or Hero Honda is going to cost at least 10,000 or 20,000 Rs used from a market like Karol Bagh. Anything you buy for less than that - 10,000 Rs is about $150 - is going to be an unreliable and ancient piece of shit. A quality Royal Enfield will cost the better part of $1,000 - $1,500 if it's a newer model with EFI. Indians seem to prefer the older cast iron engine variants for some reason, even though they're objectively less reliable and prone to failure. New Enfield Bullets run 1.6 lakh, or about $2300.

>>1196400

Of course it's illegal. Not only will you probably get asked to move by the police, but you'll also be acting like a total fucking cunt. Are you seriously considering going to a developing country and taking business away from genuinely impoverished people?

Get some fucking money or learn to survive with what you'll have, Jesus. Not to be rude, but you'll just be giving white folks a bad name if you do that. Indians are always amazed by the "lolz I'm so broke" Westerners.

If you have any halfway valuable skills, get some freelance connections or do some freelance work, either when you're in India or prior to leaving. Sell your smartphone or gaming console, but do not show up there and expect that you're going to make a living doing business that the locals will do for less. Making money in India is possible (and you can earn well by local standards), but it's not easy, you need to know people, and you need to be good at whatever you're doing.

Pic is from a fort in Jaipur. Grill I was dating for a while brought me to a restaurant on the rooftop.
>>
>>1196433
Man. Thanks.

>make a few connections and freelance using your own computer.
I got a smartphone...
But yeah, connections are kinda obligatory.

>Bollywood films and commercial advertisements.
Awesome. Will try for sure.

>it's not easy work.
Awesome. Will try for sure.

>busking, knitting, sewing, etc
Good to know

>Yes, they have them. I'm not a hippie so I've never gone.
Me neither, but its a useful ressource. And they're nice people, over here at least. asian hippies must be pretty cool too.

>monasteries
If anything i want to be useful.
>>
>>1196442
I dont know if ill be able to buy one. Check, what im doing, this trip, is a huge risk. The more options i think of, the more situation i can prepare for.
>>
>>1196495

You're really not going to last on $300 unless you spend a lot of time camping and exploring rural areas. Stay miles away from places like New Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai, and Bangalore.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.