[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi guys. I want to do babbys first solo trip. I'm fairly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: vietnam.jpg (16KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
vietnam.jpg
16KB, 276x183px
Hi guys.

I want to do babbys first solo trip. I'm fairly sure I want to go to Vietnam, but I'm also considering Japan. I have around $3000 to spend on the entire trip.

Now, I have an itinerary I put together for myself in Japan, and it looks doable, but desu after reading more into it, it doesn't seem like I'd be all that interested in going (mostly because I'm 19, and the drinking age is 20)

So I want to put together an Itinerary for Vietnam. I want to go for 14 days (Jun 10-24, arriving in Vietnam on the 11th)

Now, in order for me to get the cheapest plane tickets, I have to fly in, and out of Ho Chi Minh city (where I want to start). This will be about $1300-1400

I will have to sacrifice a day to travel, so I'll be spending 13 nights total in Vietnam. 6 of which I would like to spend in Ho Chi Minh, 5 in Hanoi, then back to Ho Chi Minh for 2 nights then catch my flight on the 24th at 8:30AM (If any of you have any better ideas on what I should do, feel free to guide me)

I plan on staying in a hostel most of the time, I want to meet some people and venture around town/hit up the bars with them. Maybe while I'm in Ho Chi Minh, stay in a hostel, and in Hanoi, stay in a hotel.

Now here are my questions:
>In regards to public transportation, what is the best way to get through the country?
>In regards to safety, how do I not get robbed/killed/sold into sex trafficking?
>In regards to my cell phone, is there a pocket wifi service available there?
>What are the big sights I want to see? Any hidden gems?
>How far can I get with English there?
>How cheap is food?

Any input is appreciated
>>
>>1192585
Nobody ever tried to card me when I was in Japan. Granted I was 24 but I don't really look much older than when I was 19.
Hell, you can even buy alcohol from vending machines.

>This will be about $1300-1400
>cheapest plane tickets
Jesus Christ what
Go through all the search engines including ITA Matrix and try to be more flexible with your dates. This is some ridiculous overpaying.
>>
>>1192594
If I go to Japan I want to visit the clubs and stuff desu, like I want to be in roppongi most nights and see some tech house shows. Maybe next year

Yeah this is what I found through kayak, I'll definitely look around but I'm not trying to get stuck in a 10 hour layover too
>>
>>1192594
Getting alcohol is not a problem. However clubs do card people. I don't know if they would let in someone under 20. But they do it for ID purposes mainly (need your passport).
>>
>>1192585
you are asking a lot here anon

japan can be very expensive, look carefully at your budget and see if you can REALLY do it on 3K

vietnam is very cheap to travel in, I would recommend the north/central region because it is less developed among other things

vietnam is a very safe place, safer than major western citties
the only real risks are scams (which are abundant) and trying to use/transport drugs

there is little public transport in vietnam, and the roads though better than india are still very chaotic
consider hiring a driver
trains were awful, slow, unhygienic, unreliable when I visited saapa in the north
it's a general downside to the country that you just have to deal with

you have neither mentioned where you are flying from, nor if you are talking US dollars (you know there is more than one kind right)
but your flights sound really expensive, the currency conversion rate should really be in your favour
look again for flights, search properly don't just use comparison sites that make all their money ripping you off
you make get a better price buying your return ticket in vietnam, and thus avoid being charged white person prices twice

If you want to see attractions or clubs your ittinery is OK
but if you want beaches, forests, villages, mountains or nature in general consider getting out of the major citties
in fact, if you want to d anything besides shopping, fucking and taking photos of things leave the cities

food is crazy cheap, as is beer

wifi/"wife" is available in almost all tourist bars, cafes, you often have to pay for it in hotels
>>
>>1192675
I'm flying out of Atlanta
>>
>>1192687
yea dude, try again finding flights, you're beign taken for a ride

I picked two random days and got 1400 AUD on webjet with japan airlines
took me 2 minutes man

you just can't rely on websites for anything, too amny engage in pricefixing
>>
These will all be answers with regards to Vietnam since that's what I know about. Would recommend by the way, my best trip ever was there.

>In regards to public transportation, what is the best way to get through the country?

Trains in general, but if you want to go straight from HCMC to Hano and back then just fly, the train is like 1.5 days for the entire journey, loud and cramped. Feel free to do it if you want the experience though.

>In regards to safety, how do I not get robbed/killed/sold into sex trafficking?

You'd have to be trying very hard for any of these things to happen in Vietnam. Expect people to try and rip you off but it's very safe.

>In regards to my cell phone, is there a pocket wifi service available there?

In Vietnam a sim with 2gb of data for 30 days is like $10

>What are the big sights I want to see? Any hidden gems?

In the two cities? Museums and food, which are easily found on tripadvisor. Would 100% recommend getting out into the countryside north of Hanoi though, it's by far the most beautiful part of the country.

>How far can I get with English there?

In the cities absolutely fine, and if you get a sim card with data you'll be able to just use Google translate wherever you are if that ever isn't the case

>How cheap is food?

Very. Like almost nothing very. Though you'll pay for western targeted things as you might imagine.
>>
OP, I've been going to Japan since I was in high school and I never once had problems buying alcohol or getting into clubs. Just show them your passport, they'll pretend to understand it, and let you through. You'll have a lot of fun there I promise.
>>
>be super excited to go to Japan
>cancel trip because you can't drink
>ask 4chan what there is to see in Vietnam
Are you sure you're not 12?
>>
>>1192723
19 you faggot
>>
I think I'm definitely gonna go to Vietnam, my girlfriend wants me to wait till next year to go to Japan so she can go with me, and Vietnam looks like a shit ton of fun

I have a couple more questions
>Should I pre-plan where I'm staying? Or just wing it?
>I want to rent a moped at one point, do I need an international license?

Thanks
>>
>>1192723
and I didn't cancel cause I can't drink, I cancelled cause a big part of my itinerary was wanting to go to the clubs, and you need ID and to be 20
>>
>>1192734
well maybe you made the right call man, but I'm just putting it out there that you can get a fake ID in just about any country

overseas, nobody will even know how to check your national ID
basically they will judge it based on how old/wealthy/cool you cool

even where you are from you can bet your bottom dollar that cute 17 year old girls get in, and 17YO guys with fake id's and facial hair
>>
>>1192585
A lot of people have already commented on this but I just came back from a trip to Japan with my gf who is 19. We went to a probably 5-6 different clubs throughout Tokyo and weren't carded once.
>>
>>1192828
I have a fake but I was under the impression that you need a passport to get in especially considering its the law that you need your passport on you there
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 443x332px
Also interested in doing babbys first solo trip in either Asia or Europe
>>
>>1192848
I don't know whta the law about japan is specifically, but be assured the bouncer is not going to ring your home country and check you passport serial number

I don't use my real passport anywhere I can avoid it, the risk of theft, fraud or identity theft is too high
>>
Vietnam's awesome, I lived there for 5 years

there's a lot more to the country than Saigon and Hanoi, you know that right
>>
>>1192940
Yeah I made a new itinerary, it's in the sea general
>>
>>1192934
Bro having a fake passport is a whole nother game compared to having a fake ID lol
>>
>>1192733
>Should I pre-plan where I'm staying? Or just wing it?

Book the first place in advance, then book the next one before you leave the first

>I want to rent a moped at one point, do I need an international license?

No. Nobody gives a shit in Vietnam. They'll hold your passport as insurance against you stealing the bike though. Can recommend a guy in Hanoi for you to go to, you can find cheaper than him but he's one of the only people in town who won't try to rip you off. I went to him for my repairs for the 4 years I lived there and never had a problem.
>>
>>1192733
The only time i had trouble with just winging it for accommodations was going to Da Lat right at the beginning of the Flower Festival.
>>
Japan is 10x more expensive than Vietnam, but generally a smarter country. Went to Japan in July and am now in Vietnam, AMA
>>
>>1193534
OP here, what's more fun, Japan or Vietnam. I'm pretty big into history so Vietnam intrigues me because of Vietnam war stuff, but I'm also a big techie. I'm not interested in weeaboo stuff, I'm a big time foodie though.
>>
>>1193633
Not him but it entirely depends on your budget. Money no object Japan is a better tourist experience in every conceivable way, unless you're looking for a bit more grit in what you're doing.

If you have a small or even mid-sized budget then the main advantage of Vietnam will be the feeling of complete freedom since you'll likely be able to afford to to literally whatever you want. It's a pretty special feeling to be able to do almost anything.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.